Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2005, 6:50 am CST

End of 4th week was last Sunday

I haven't posted any progress reports on this thread for awhile. I lost a totol of 5lbs over the first two weeks of my diet, then gained some back during Thanksgiving week and the rest back during last week when I was out of town.
I haven't given up though. I learned something very valuable. Since I've lost weight before, I know how difficult it can be, and I've found my biggest stumbling block.  During Thanksgiving week, I hosted the dinner. I had all of the traditional high calorie foods, but I didn't eat large portions of anything. I did have dessert and rolls, though, which I'm sensitive to and cause me to retain water. I also didn't allow exercise time since I was cleaning house, shopping and preparing for the dinner. Lesson: I need to watch my eating AND workout regularly to see a positive change on the scale and my waistline. If I blow one of these, like missing a workout, I have to compensate by eating much less. If I eat too much, I need to compensate by working out longer or more intensely. And that's just to maintain my weight.
When I was out of town, I did fairly well the first part of the week, we were in a hotel and I used the gym facilities and watched my restaurant eating. It was the last part of the week when we stayed with relatives that I fell down. I actually listened to my self-talk, (thanks to Dr Phil) and heard myself saying," I've been good, I can afford to eat this dessert, I'll lose it when I get home." Or "It would be rude to turn down this food, they made it for me!" Or "Well, they dished it up for me, it's not my fault."
Lesson: My major blind spot is around visiting family and friends. I need a plan in place and I need to set boundaries. It will happen again. Now I'm back home and working to lose the pounds I lost before, AGAIN, and not liking it. But that's life, and it will always be there.
I have more "practice" coming up, I have a Christmas party to attend Friday night, and another one next Saturday out of town.

December 8, 2005, 6:55 pm CST

Someone01

Quote From: someone01

Hi,  

I wasn't sure where to post this, as I am new to the board. I am 16 years old, and would like to lose weight. Family genetics have not helped me. I was thin up until about the age of eight, when I gained weight dramatically over three months. Since then, I have been gaining, gaining and gaining. I would like to lose about 45-50 pounds, and get rid of a few pant sizes and get rid of my ucky, yucky gut.  

I recently came off the anti-depressant, Celexa, about a month ago, and have already gained about 10 pounds since being off it. I was told it may happen.  

I have been writing down what I have been eating, and how much I eat, but I can't help eating... when I'm stressed, I eat, when I'm sad, I eat. I don't want to keep gaining weight for the rest of my life, or I won't enjoy life much at all!  

I am physically active ( I ride horses, walk a lot... about 5 days a week...) What other things should I be doing, especially to get rid of the fat, yuck and ucky gut?  

I get made fun of because of my weight, and want to change that. But most of all, I want to change my weight because I am utterly disgusted with myself, and cannot go on living like this.  

Please help!  

Hello Someone01, 

You didn't say how tall you are? and how much you weigh? I'm a bit concerned with you only being 16yrs old. I have teenagers and i wouldn't like them to feel the way your feeling and i would not want them to go on a diet, Diets don't work. You said you exercise, walk 5 days a week that's great how far or how long do you walk for? You should drink a lot of water at least 6 to 8 glasses a day, Not sure if you drink Soda pops or fizzy drinks they contain a lot of sugar, so quit drinking that stuff and drink water, just doing that you'll lose 5lbs in a year. Start eating a lot of fruit and vegetables. I will wait until i hear what you weigh and how tall you are before saying anything else. 

December 9, 2005, 1:21 am CST

I hear you

Quote From: ritehere

I haven't posted any progress reports on this thread for awhile. I lost a totol of 5lbs over the first two weeks of my diet, then gained some back during Thanksgiving week and the rest back during last week when I was out of town.
I haven't given up though. I learned something very valuable. Since I've lost weight before, I know how difficult it can be, and I've found my biggest stumbling block.  During Thanksgiving week, I hosted the dinner. I had all of the traditional high calorie foods, but I didn't eat large portions of anything. I did have dessert and rolls, though, which I'm sensitive to and cause me to retain water. I also didn't allow exercise time since I was cleaning house, shopping and preparing for the dinner. Lesson: I need to watch my eating AND workout regularly to see a positive change on the scale and my waistline. If I blow one of these, like missing a workout, I have to compensate by eating much less. If I eat too much, I need to compensate by working out longer or more intensely. And that's just to maintain my weight.
When I was out of town, I did fairly well the first part of the week, we were in a hotel and I used the gym facilities and watched my restaurant eating. It was the last part of the week when we stayed with relatives that I fell down. I actually listened to my self-talk, (thanks to Dr Phil) and heard myself saying," I've been good, I can afford to eat this dessert, I'll lose it when I get home." Or "It would be rude to turn down this food, they made it for me!" Or "Well, they dished it up for me, it's not my fault."
Lesson: My major blind spot is around visiting family and friends. I need a plan in place and I need to set boundaries. It will happen again. Now I'm back home and working to lose the pounds I lost before, AGAIN, and not liking it. But that's life, and it will always be there.
I have more "practice" coming up, I have a Christmas party to attend Friday night, and another one next Saturday out of town.

Hello, 

So you know what works and what doesn't that's great. Next time you find your self in that situation and you don't want to upset or offend, just eat half of what ever they dish or serve. It's etiquette to leave food on your plate. You shouldn't  let other people dictate what or how much you should eat, and you shouldn't worry about upsetting or offending your hosts, eat what you want but in moderation. And when  those special occasions parties and alike are over than get back stuck into doing what works for you. Just a question; Who would you rather upset? them? or your self? remember you still have to deal with your choices at the end of the day, so if they ( family, friends) get there noises out of joint then let them deal with that. Don't let guilt or saboteurs undo all your hard work. 

December 9, 2005, 7:34 am CST

Thanks for the feedback

Quote From: hotchikie

Hello, 

So you know what works and what doesn't that's great. Next time you find your self in that situation and you don't want to upset or offend, just eat half of what ever they dish or serve. It's etiquette to leave food on your plate. You shouldn't  let other people dictate what or how much you should eat, and you shouldn't worry about upsetting or offending your hosts, eat what you want but in moderation. And when  those special occasions parties and alike are over than get back stuck into doing what works for you. Just a question; Who would you rather upset? them? or your self? remember you still have to deal with your choices at the end of the day, so if they ( family, friends) get there noises out of joint then let them deal with that. Don't let guilt or saboteurs undo all your hard work. 

Yeah, I need to work on MY feelings about it, I doubt that they really care that much whether I eat it all or not, it's ME telling myself they will be offended that gets in the way.  Old habits and training from childhood are hard to break, but I will be on the lookout for this behavior in the future!

December 9, 2005, 2:30 pm CST

Good on you

Quote From: ritehere

Yeah, I need to work on MY feelings about it, I doubt that they really care that much whether I eat it all or not, it's ME telling myself they will be offended that gets in the way.  Old habits and training from childhood are hard to break, but I will be on the lookout for this behavior in the future!

Next time you hear your self saying that they would be offended, Remember when reality ( your senses)kicks in you will be more offended,lol. 

have a great day. 

December 11, 2005, 12:08 am CST

You guy's rock

Quote From: nahme13

I saw your message when I logged on this website for the first time today.  Just be physically active in a regular schedule, like walking or swimming.  You look pretty the way you are and if you just maintain by eating smart, being active all your life.....you'll never have to diet.  Your skinny friends are probably too skinny and life will catch up with them all too soon.  I was skinny all my life and always felt uncomfortable around my friends.  Just be happy with who you are, and you will go far in life.  You're a very pretty girl.  Good luck to you. 

"You guy's rock".... Good luck and don't forget you are beautiful! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

December 11, 2005, 7:00 am CST

Diet

I have tried everything on losing weight I exercise alot but it seems like it isnt working I watch what I eat I dont know what else to do.

December 11, 2005, 12:30 pm CST

Diet

I've always had a problem with the way I looked and how much I weighed. I was 144lbs this summer, but I've lost about 22lbs...I did lose more, but I've managed to gain it back. Now my confidence isn't all that good because I feel as if I should have been able to stick to my diet...I'm trying to go back on it, but since the diet basically includes fasting and eating very little, it's hard because I know how it feels to be able to eat and not worry... I blame myself for eating normally, but at the same time I miss going on my diet because I knew that it worked... 

December 11, 2005, 12:36 pm CST

Diet

Quote From: cwnmw4

I have tried everything on losing weight I exercise alot but it seems like it isnt working I watch what I eat I dont know what else to do.
Maybe you should go see someone? Get them to give you a diet plan or something... That's what I did. But the lady didn't want to give me one so I had to improvise... Don't get yourself down over it, just keep trying new things and I'm sure you'll be able to find something that works for you. But I can tell you to drink alot of water because that really helps..

December 12, 2005, 2:46 am CST

Diet

Quote From: cwnmw4

Just keep doing what your doing, it will work and it will happen.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last