Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 12, 2005, 2:49 am CST

Diet

Quote From: j_emerald

I've always had a problem with the way I looked and how much I weighed. I was 144lbs this summer, but I've lost about 22lbs...I did lose more, but I've managed to gain it back. Now my confidence isn't all that good because I feel as if I should have been able to stick to my diet...I'm trying to go back on it, but since the diet basically includes fasting and eating very little, it's hard because I know how it feels to be able to eat and not worry... I blame myself for eating normally, but at the same time I miss going on my diet because I knew that it worked... 

Hope you people don't mind me sticking my 2 cents in but can i just say? Diets don't work!!! Everything in moderation and more activity, Plenty of exercise, Move and you'll lose.

December 12, 2005, 2:35 pm CST

Diet

Quote From: hotchikie

Hope you people don't mind me sticking my 2 cents in but can i just say? Diets don't work!!! Everything in moderation and more activity, Plenty of exercise, Move and you'll lose.

I agree with what you, but not completely. Diets do work... It all depends on what your diet consists of.. But yea, moving is still very important because it helps you lose better than just diet alone. And it's no problem about sticking yourself in :) 

December 13, 2005, 2:43 am CST

Diet

Quote From: j_emerald

I agree with what you, but not completely. Diets do work... It all depends on what your diet consists of.. But yea, moving is still very important because it helps you lose better than just diet alone. And it's no problem about sticking yourself in :) 

Diets, only work if you can stick to it long term, if you go on a diet it has to be a lifestyle and not a diet, People who go on diets go on them for a time and then when they lose the weight that they wanted to lose go back to there old habits and then stack it all back on. I agree with hotchikie,Diets don't work, you need to change your eating habits to healthy habits and make it a life diet.I don't like that word diet! lol. 

Hope you didn't mind me button in,lol. 

December 13, 2005, 6:49 am CST

Sunday was end of week 5

I'm happy to say that I lost a pound last week. It's not spectacular, but hey, it's better than gaining a pound. I did very well at the big Christmas dinner on Friday night, and have gotten mostly back to my routine. It's difficult because this is such a hectic time of the year, but I will persevere.
I've been reading the posts, and I have to say that moderation is a good idea, but what is "moderate"? It's different for every body. You have to play around with portion sizes. What I do is find out exactly how much I can eat of healthy foods and maintain weight, no gaining no losing. Then I throw in exercise. When I reach a plateau on this formula, I either lower the food intake or step up the exercise, depending on my goals. Last year I climbed a mountain so I ate more food and exercised heavily.
I just didn't stop eating when the goal was over with! So now it's back to losing weight again.

December 14, 2005, 8:50 pm CST

ritehere

Quote From: ritehere

I'm happy to say that I lost a pound last week. It's not spectacular, but hey, it's better than gaining a pound. I did very well at the big Christmas dinner on Friday night, and have gotten mostly back to my routine. It's difficult because this is such a hectic time of the year, but I will persevere.
I've been reading the posts, and I have to say that moderation is a good idea, but what is "moderate"? It's different for every body. You have to play around with portion sizes. What I do is find out exactly how much I can eat of healthy foods and maintain weight, no gaining no losing. Then I throw in exercise. When I reach a plateau on this formula, I either lower the food intake or step up the exercise, depending on my goals. Last year I climbed a mountain so I ate more food and exercised heavily.
I just didn't stop eating when the goal was over with! So now it's back to losing weight again.
Great on your 1 pound lose. Sounds like you know what your doing. Moderation yes what is it I agree that everyone is different, I read some where that our stomaches are about the size of our fists. That's all the food we need to put in our bellies. That's what I try an eat and I eat slowly so my brain has time to register whether I'm full. If I'm still hungry I drink water.

December 15, 2005, 6:53 am CST

That is correct!

Quote From: roosters

Great on your 1 pound lose. Sounds like you know what your doing. Moderation yes what is it I agree that everyone is different, I read some where that our stomaches are about the size of our fists. That's all the food we need to put in our bellies. That's what I try an eat and I eat slowly so my brain has time to register whether I'm full. If I'm still hungry I drink water.
 I've found that once you're past all of the artificial cravings for sweets you don't want much more food than the size of your fist, at one sitting. This is why eating 5 or 6 smaller "meals" during the day is so helpful, at least at the beginning of changing your eating habits. It's difficult to keep this up,( for me anyway,) but it shrinks your stomach down to it's normal size, so that you feel satisfied when you really ARE satisfied.
I've found that if I'm still hungry after eating my alotted portions, it usually means I haven't gotten enough protein. And I can tell it in my workouts too, not enough protein and I poop out faster.

December 17, 2005, 3:49 am CST

ritehere

I've found that once you're past all of the artificial cravings for sweets you don't want much more food than the size of your fist, at one sitting. This is why eating 5 or 6 smaller "meals" during the day is so helpful, at least at the beginning of changing your eating habits. It's difficult to keep this up,( for me anyway,) but it shrinks your stomach down to it's normal size, so that you feel satisfied when you really ARE satisfied.
I've found that if I'm still hungry after eating my alotted portions, it usually means I haven't gotten enough protein. And I can tell it in my workouts too, not enough protein and I poop out faster.
I'll remember that, I never stopped to think that I may need to eat more protien, I always feel pooped. Thanks for the tip. Have a great day.

December 17, 2005, 4:07 am CST

Ritehere

That is sure interesting, How did you figure on not enough protein? I'm tired and lethargic don't seem to have any get up and go, now I realize that maybe I'm not eating enough protein.Thanks to you. I just kept drinking water if I was still hungry, So what do you do? Do you eat more protein after you have already eaten or do you add more protein to your next meal? 

December 17, 2005, 4:09 am CST

hotchikie

Quote From: hotchikie

I'll remember that, I never stopped to think that I may need to eat more protien, I always feel pooped. Thanks for the tip. Have a great day.
me too, protien interesting.

December 19, 2005, 7:02 pm CST

hotchikie and roosters,

I was out of town so sorry I didn't get back to you right away.
My weight loss journey has taken some strange twists, but I've learned alot along the way.  I tried and tried to lose weight on the low-fat diets for years. Unfortunately, the emphasis was always on cutting out ALL fats, so that usually meant cutting out meat which is your best source of protein. I was hungry all the time on those diets because my body was screaming for protein. We gotta have it. If you don't think so, just look at the list of diseases you can get if you're body is vitamin B deficient. And meat and fish are the only sources you can get ALL of them in one serving. Why do you think other foods that don't have the B's are "fortified" with them? Any way, to make a long story short, I was protein deficient, had a systemic yeast infection, and was put on a high protein diet to get that under control. I had an instant, life-changing experience! I had more energy than I had felt in years, my hair and fingernails got healthier, my digestion improved, my attitude did a 180 degree turnaround, and my cravings for sugars and starches went away.
I have found that instead of the 4 to 5 ounces of protein a day recommended by the low-fat diets, I eat at least 3 ounces every meal, (3 meals/day, or at least 9 ounces a day split into smaller "meals",) and if I'm working out and training heavily, I eat at least 4 ounces per meal. I eat mostly fish and poultry, but don't turn my nose up at beef or pork. I also take a spoonful of cod liver oil every other day or so for those essential omega 3 fats. What I restrict to an absolute nothing are sugars, except for natural sugars in fruit. I limit juices as they are extremely high in calories, I eat the whole fruits. I also eat lots and lots of vegetables.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last