Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 21, 2005, 3:52 am CST

Ritehere

Quote From: ritehere

I was out of town so sorry I didn't get back to you right away.
My weight loss journey has taken some strange twists, but I've learned alot along the way.  I tried and tried to lose weight on the low-fat diets for years. Unfortunately, the emphasis was always on cutting out ALL fats, so that usually meant cutting out meat which is your best source of protein. I was hungry all the time on those diets because my body was screaming for protein. We gotta have it. If you don't think so, just look at the list of diseases you can get if you're body is vitamin B deficient. And meat and fish are the only sources you can get ALL of them in one serving. Why do you think other foods that don't have the B's are "fortified" with them? Any way, to make a long story short, I was protein deficient, had a systemic yeast infection, and was put on a high protein diet to get that under control. I had an instant, life-changing experience! I had more energy than I had felt in years, my hair and fingernails got healthier, my digestion improved, my attitude did a 180 degree turnaround, and my cravings for sugars and starches went away.
I have found that instead of the 4 to 5 ounces of protein a day recommended by the low-fat diets, I eat at least 3 ounces every meal, (3 meals/day, or at least 9 ounces a day split into smaller "meals",) and if I'm working out and training heavily, I eat at least 4 ounces per meal. I eat mostly fish and poultry, but don't turn my nose up at beef or pork. I also take a spoonful of cod liver oil every other day or so for those essential omega 3 fats. What I restrict to an absolute nothing are sugars, except for natural sugars in fruit. I limit juices as they are extremely high in calories, I eat the whole fruits. I also eat lots and lots of vegetables.
Don't have to be sorry, Just wanted to thank you about that protein, I'll keep what you said in this post in my mind and test what you have already found and I'll let you know in a few weeks if I notice what you have noticed. I hope so b/c I've been tired and lethargic, have no get up and go and reading this post I have realized that I have not been eating enough if any protein.

December 27, 2005, 4:52 pm CST

Starting again

Hi, my name is Adriana and I lost 75 pounds with Dr Phil like 2 years ago. I got pregnant and just had a beautiful and healthy baby. I gain a lot of weight and now I have to loose 41lbs, so I will be coming here often. 

I am very excited to start again, I have to wait a little to get the food guide and I will start again. 

Bye 

Adry 

January 2, 2006, 12:12 pm CST

food guide

Quote From: adriannaw

Hi, my name is Adriana and I lost 75 pounds with Dr Phil like 2 years ago. I got pregnant and just had a beautiful and healthy baby. I gain a lot of weight and now I have to loose 41lbs, so I will be coming here often. 

I am very excited to start again, I have to wait a little to get the food guide and I will start again. 

Bye 

Adry 

Dear adriana, 

What food guide?  I need to lose 30 pounds. and desperately need some doable tips. Jewels 

January 2, 2006, 7:54 pm CST

Just butting in

Quote From: jsdbaker

Dear adriana, 

What food guide?  I need to lose 30 pounds. and desperately need some doable tips. Jewels 

Dr Phil has a book another it's called The Ulimate weight Solution Food Guide to go with his The 7 keys to weight loss Freedom- the ultimate weight soution 

Good luck on losing your 30lbs, I also have about 30lbs to lose. 

Bye 

January 3, 2006, 11:42 pm CST

Diet

Well  i have gained some weight  after my car accadent like 8 months ago and ganed 10 pounds . I wasnt able to walk for two months cuz of my left side . I exersie , i do crunches , eat less and everything . I havent been able to lose the little belly i have . Recently i have been depressed . I need to know what i could do more of . Also i dont eat sweets hardly ever . Help me !!!!

January 5, 2006, 4:06 am CST

Diet

When I am trying to lose weight,  I always do Fit For Life.  This of course,  is less of a temporary diet plan and more of a life strategy.  It is the most healthy thing I've ever done for my body,  and when utilizing it's guidelines responsibly,  you can lose a massive amount of weight.  Now,  I will admit,  I did abuse the protein/fat allowances(anyone on Atkins knows what I'm talking about),  and that is why it took two years for me to lose sixty pounds.  But in theory,  I could have lost one hundred and twenty,  easily!  If I had of excersized three times a week,  ate less,  drank more water,  and cut back on flesh products,  I could have been healthier than I was.  However,  there are always could have's and would have's,  the point is that you made drastic changes for you,  for your health.  Always do it for you,  not for anyone else.  And let me tell you folks,  when there is a will,  there is a way!  Your willpower is imparative to your success as a dieter.  My day to day life of what I believe to be proper food combining(tested and approved in my own body,  thanks Harvey,  Marilyn) and drinking water,  made a profound difference on my health.  

However,  two years,  and I threw it all away.  I gained it all back,  and probably a bit more.  Not because of the way I was eating,  I was more than content with that,  as an individual,  but,  because I decided to give in to indulgence.  Simple as that.  I blame myself for that,  I accept that,  and now I'm about to change things forever.  This time,  excersize and proper portion control will be fundamental.  I've been highly successful in the past,  and I can do it again! 

My advice is,  whatever your method,  just keep going.  Just know that if you quit now,  six months down the road you might be thinking,  "why?!  Why did I let this happen?!"  That's what I'm thinking now,  my friends.  I've learned my lesson,  thoroughly.  I cannot afford to quit again.  I am 17 years old,  and probably 260lbs or more!  I don't look at scales,  they torment me,  so I just stay away from those.  They aren't good for me,  I just go by the differences I see from day to day,  instead of obsessing over specifc numbers.  That can break you faith,  folks.  That can break your willpower faster you'd believe,  if you haven't yet experienced it.

January 5, 2006, 9:19 am CST

fit for life

Quote From: xplay25

When I am trying to lose weight,  I always do Fit For Life.  This of course,  is less of a temporary diet plan and more of a life strategy.  It is the most healthy thing I've ever done for my body,  and when utilizing it's guidelines responsibly,  you can lose a massive amount of weight.  Now,  I will admit,  I did abuse the protein/fat allowances(anyone on Atkins knows what I'm talking about),  and that is why it took two years for me to lose sixty pounds.  But in theory,  I could have lost one hundred and twenty,  easily!  If I had of excersized three times a week,  ate less,  drank more water,  and cut back on flesh products,  I could have been healthier than I was.  However,  there are always could have's and would have's,  the point is that you made drastic changes for you,  for your health.  Always do it for you,  not for anyone else.  And let me tell you folks,  when there is a will,  there is a way!  Your willpower is imparative to your success as a dieter.  My day to day life of what I believe to be proper food combining(tested and approved in my own body,  thanks Harvey,  Marilyn) and drinking water,  made a profound difference on my health.  

However,  two years,  and I threw it all away.  I gained it all back,  and probably a bit more.  Not because of the way I was eating,  I was more than content with that,  as an individual,  but,  because I decided to give in to indulgence.  Simple as that.  I blame myself for that,  I accept that,  and now I'm about to change things forever.  This time,  excersize and proper portion control will be fundamental.  I've been highly successful in the past,  and I can do it again! 

My advice is,  whatever your method,  just keep going.  Just know that if you quit now,  six months down the road you might be thinking,  "why?!  Why did I let this happen?!"  That's what I'm thinking now,  my friends.  I've learned my lesson,  thoroughly.  I cannot afford to quit again.  I am 17 years old,  and probably 260lbs or more!  I don't look at scales,  they torment me,  so I just stay away from those.  They aren't good for me,  I just go by the differences I see from day to day,  instead of obsessing over specifc numbers.  That can break you faith,  folks.  That can break your willpower faster you'd believe,  if you haven't yet experienced it.

What an awesome and yet sad story.  Too have gained it all back - but my friend you inspire me and I'm very proud of you If you can do it then so can I and I don't need to lose near that much!!   

You go girl!  I'm willing to be with you everystep of the way if you want a buddy, let me know. 

I agree, it's a lifestyle and drinking lots of water helps but even more important is get moving.  Whatever exercise works for you do it, and do it every day if possible. 

If you want to keep in touch through this journey, email me at  

jsdickey_83@msn.com  Love you and am proud of you - you can do it! Jewels 

January 5, 2006, 12:42 pm CST

I'm New

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, and new to message boards altogether.   

I find myself in desperate desire to lose 30 pounds and feel healthy again.  Historically, I subscribe to some new diet concept and buy all the stuff, then give up after about 2 months of deprivation and exhaustion.  I am currently reading Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution, and impressed that  there is no pressure to subscribe to some mumbo-jumbo line of thinking that feels irrational (at best).   

I will continue reading the book and everyones posts.  I feel so alone right now, and (verbally) meeting people who are in the same boat, or at least started in the same boat reassures me that I will be successful.  Thank you all for being here. 

If anyone has snack ideas that aren't processed (expensive) snack bars or taste like cardboard, I would love the feedback.  Snacks are where I blow it the most.  

I look forward to participating, 

Sheila 

January 8, 2006, 4:39 pm CST

Unsalted nuts

Quote From: lv_mom

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, and new to message boards altogether.   

I find myself in desperate desire to lose 30 pounds and feel healthy again.  Historically, I subscribe to some new diet concept and buy all the stuff, then give up after about 2 months of deprivation and exhaustion.  I am currently reading Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution, and impressed that  there is no pressure to subscribe to some mumbo-jumbo line of thinking that feels irrational (at best).   

I will continue reading the book and everyones posts.  I feel so alone right now, and (verbally) meeting people who are in the same boat, or at least started in the same boat reassures me that I will be successful.  Thank you all for being here. 

If anyone has snack ideas that aren't processed (expensive) snack bars or taste like cardboard, I would love the feedback.  Snacks are where I blow it the most.  

I look forward to participating, 

Sheila 

My worst time is the afternoon between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM. I've found that unsalted nuts (any kind) work for me. The protein feeds the body and stays with you longer. A small handfull with a piece of fruit is usually sufficient to tide me over.

January 8, 2006, 11:16 pm CST

Thanks a bunch!

Quote From: ritehere

My worst time is the afternoon between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM. I've found that unsalted nuts (any kind) work for me. The protein feeds the body and stays with you longer. A small handfull with a piece of fruit is usually sufficient to tide me over.
Thank you.  I sometimes have some nuts, but I will pair it with fruit to curb the instant rush I need for the afternoon.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last