Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 19, 2005, 2:14 pm CDT

-48 lbs & counting!!!!!!!

As of Feb. 2005, I have lost a total of 48 lbs (I have my weigh-in friday so probably 50) and I couldn't be happier. I only have 17 lbs until I reach my goal weight! I do Weight Watchers with my own twist. Because my family has a history of diabetes (my grandpa was diabetic, my dad is diabetic, etc) I decided to put my own spin on WW and do a lower, healthy carb version of the points system. The carbs I mainly let myself eat are low-sugar fruits, oat bran hot cereal, high fiber no-sugar added (1 g sugar) oatmeal, and occasionally whole wheat bread. I eat a lot of lean proteins, low fat cottage cheese,& non-starchy veggies. I also allow myself one "free meal" a week, the day after weigh-in (or the dinner after weigh-in) where I split a dessert with someone and I add in a carb I normally do not eat (maybe chips and salsa, pasta, rice, etc). I've lost 2-3.7 lbs a week lately by doing this here at college (I am a sophomore, pre-medicine student). I work out 4-6x's a week very intensely (interval training) and my body has changed so much for the best. I can't believe how small I am getting! I really can't stop loving WW, working out, and being healthy. I hope to reach my goal weight by Christmas! Cross your fingers :) -Heather M. :)

October 19, 2005, 2:21 pm CDT

Diet

Quote From: vinegar_q

since we are discussing personal diet plans, what i do is the old school way...counting calories for me it helps to restrict and avoid things that are high in calories. i'm 5'25'3 and so my intake of daily calories is suppose to be like 1800 each day. i restirct myself to around...at the MOST 1000. basically u need to set a budget for ur calories each day,...it's painful but so far i have lot 9 lbs since i started back in .....aug. its a slow diet but i think it woud definitely help with exercise. since i am in college now and classes started, i don't really have time for the gym anymore...i havent gotten down to my desired weight yet...its fluctuating...which is really annoying......btw, is it obessive if i weigh myself everyday, or do we weigh every week??
Restricting your calories to at the most 1,000 is VERY unhealthy for your body (trust me--been there--did Scarsdale..lost 9 lbs in 1 week---was only eating 800-900 calories a day-- it is AWFUL for your body). Your body basically goes into starvation mode and that is why you're losing weight so slowly. Your body will try to hold onto everything its got since you're depriving it so much. And yes--weighing yourself every day is obsessive and self-sabotaging. I used to weigh myself every day on Scarsdale and it messes with your mind! Yes seeing myself lose 3 lbs almost every day was exciting..but some days there'd be a 1 lb gain for no reason and it drove me crazy! It can lead to an eating disorder. You should weigh yourself once a week--that is what I do here at college with my digi scale and I couldn't be happier. I am in college as well--and I am pre-med--so I have very little time to do anything other than studying and homework. I also work a part-time job at an on-campus non-work-study job so--it's stressful. I have found it only possible to workout if I refuse to make excuses and if i write my work-outs into my schedule and refuse to cancel them. It's my date with myself in my mind--and I will be on that treadmill jogging at the scheduled time or I stood myself up--and no one likes to be stood up! I work out 4-6x's a week by doing this..so it works wonders. Since starting class at the end of Aug--I have lost 15 lbs. I do WW with more emphasis on lean proteins and non-starchy veggies with some lower, healthier carbs, and I've done amazing with it. If I were you--I'd STOP the 1,000 calorie diet now before you do damage to yourself (your heart, your bones, your brain, etc).

October 20, 2005, 6:10 am CDT

Depends on gender?

Quote From: vinegar_q

since we are discussing personal diet plans, what i do is the old school way...counting calories for me it helps to restrict and avoid things that are high in calories. i'm 5'25'3 and so my intake of daily calories is suppose to be like 1800 each day. i restirct myself to around...at the MOST 1000. basically u need to set a budget for ur calories each day,...it's painful but so far i have lot 9 lbs since i started back in .....aug. its a slow diet but i think it woud definitely help with exercise. since i am in college now and classes started, i don't really have time for the gym anymore...i havent gotten down to my desired weight yet...its fluctuating...which is really annoying......btw, is it obessive if i weigh myself everyday, or do we weigh every week??
 If you're a woman, it's sometimes better to weigh once a week due to our fluctuations of water. We can gain anywhere from 2 to 5 lbs with PMS. If you're the sort to keep a balanced approach, and don't let these fluctuations get to you, go ahead and weight once a day.

Are you eating only 1000 calories per day and exercising too? If you start feeling run down and tired alot, you may be tempted to binge. 1000 calories is not alot unless you are very sedentary.

October 22, 2005, 12:35 am CDT

count calories

Quote From: steverel

Hello all 

I have been dieting and exercising for about 2yrs I follow Dr Phil weight loss plan and have lost 75lbs.Now i have been stuck and can't seem to lose any more,I work out 4-5 times a week.My work out are 1 hour of cardo and after 1hr of weight training.I keep my heart rate at 135-140.Im 45 years old,I want to loss another 35 pounds.Is there anyone out there that can help me lose the rest of this weight? 

Thanks 

SRR    

i think counting calories really helps because u budget what you eat. Painful in the beginning, but you'll get used to it. I'm 5'2 and my healthy intake of calories should be 1800 a day, but i try to eat less than 1000. that means a lot more vegetables and fruits since most of them are under 100 kcals. i have been on a diet for ...since at least august, i have lost arond 9 lbs by counting calories. going to the gym should help a lot more~~

October 22, 2005, 7:23 pm CDT

green tea?

I was just curious if anyone has heard about green tea weight loss? I know there are green tea extract pills on the market and was wondering if any ones heard anything bad? 

October 24, 2005, 3:17 pm CDT

Diet

Quote From: jess1289

Hello  

My Name is Jessica I am 15years old, I weight 147lbs I have no self confidence because I feel fat i am about 5 feet 6 inches tall.  I want to be able to get down to 115 - 120 lbs, I am in 10th grade and like all my friends are skinny and my height and standing next to them makes me feel really uncomfortable and I also hate the way I look in all of my clothes.  Is it ok to lose weight well at least as much as I want to, and what can I do to achive that goal.  

Jessica Marie  

Hi Jessica.  I have just recently lost 45lbs and 55 inches.  I am 5 and I weigh140, I am trying to get to 130.  But I look great at the weight that I am at.  Weight is just a number you cant always go by it.  I think you look fantastic.  My suggestion is to stay away from regular pop, drink diet, try to stay away from fast foods and most important junk food.  Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, it really does help. 

Good luck Carol 

October 24, 2005, 7:26 pm CDT

Diet

Hi I'm Just starting the dieting plan, but i have a problem that a bunch of other people don't, i have to follow a diet that won't let me eat anything with dairy, caffiene and some heavily processed foods, the other problem is that i'm constantly on the go, commuting to  school, work , living life etc. I just don't know of what i can eat , that isn't stuff i've been eating forever, to help me begin to loose weight. Has anyone ever been on a similar diet withthese restrictions?

October 31, 2005, 9:12 am CST

hey

Quote From: ritehere

You seem to be worried about your waistline since you bared that for the picture. Your legs look slim and you didn't include your arms, so it's the middle that bothers you right?

A diet of too many carbs can lead to an extended stomach and lower gut area. Believe it or not, breads and sugars in amounts over what you should be eating causes gas build ups that can cause your stomach to look bigger than it is.

Try cutting out sugar and refined carbs like white bread, pasta, donuts, chips, etc. If you do this your stomach should flatten out in a matter of days.
ummm...ok i know if i try to cut that stuff out of my menu & stuff & if my stomach does start to flatten out like i want it to then i know i'll still say im fat & ugly & every 1 always says "you just need to change your internal dialogue"..ya but the only problem is..i dont know how to so can u also help me with that??...& do u think im ugly by looking at my profile picture??..cuz i believe im fat & ugly & i cant have a day go by without saying that & my friends are about to strangle me cuz i say it every minute~so what do u guys think??..help please

November 1, 2005, 7:25 am CST

Similar diet

Quote From: alliebang

Hi I'm Just starting the dieting plan, but i have a problem that a bunch of other people don't, i have to follow a diet that won't let me eat anything with dairy, caffiene and some heavily processed foods, the other problem is that i'm constantly on the go, commuting to  school, work , living life etc. I just don't know of what i can eat , that isn't stuff i've been eating forever, to help me begin to loose weight. Has anyone ever been on a similar diet withthese restrictions?
I went on a similar diet one time.  I lost about 20 pounds and then gained it back and then some because I just went back to my old eating habits.  I wasn't allowed dairy, dark meat, salt, sugar, bread, caffieneect.  I was far too restrictive anyway.  I had to cook every meal also, and I'm not a good cook. Right now I'm trying to reduce my caffeinie and sugar.  I'm going to try a little at a time so I don't become overwhelmed again. 

November 1, 2005, 11:57 am CST

Fat and ugly...

Quote From: hurtingurl

ummm...ok i know if i try to cut that stuff out of my menu & stuff & if my stomach does start to flatten out like i want it to then i know i'll still say im fat & ugly & every 1 always says "you just need to change your internal dialogue"..ya but the only problem is..i dont know how to so can u also help me with that??...& do u think im ugly by looking at my profile picture??..cuz i believe im fat & ugly & i cant have a day go by without saying that & my friends are about to strangle me cuz i say it every minuteso what do u guys think??..help please
 No, you are definitely not ugly. But that doesn't really ring true unless you believe it does it? Your opinion is the only one that matters here because if you don't believe it, sooner or later nobody else will either.

Here's what I found helped me with my self image and self love problems. I read Dr Phil's SELF MATTERS, and I honestly answered all of his questions and inventories. When I first got the book, I didn't really believe it would help, I thought it would just point out what I already thought about myself, which was that I was a pathetic loser. But I found out that I was a really good person, one that others liked, but that I was prone to negative self talk and bad decisions from faulty thinking processes. The book not only helped me accept my mistakes and faulty thinking, but showed how to change things, and myself, to live the kind of life I wanted.

Hypnotherapy was another life saver. If you decide to try this, don't settle for someone just because they are affordable. There are many charlatans out there who are worse than ineffectual. The talented couple I used work with an office of oncologists, helping cancer patients with pain, etc. Find someone affiliated with a doctor's office and they will be caring and professional.

One thing you have to remember though, the process begins and ends with you. Every book, every doctor, and every program out there is just a tool to help and guide you. It all starts with a desire for change, the vision to percieve yourself differently from the way you do now, and the willingness to work at it. These boards are one of those tools. Come back and let us know how and what you are doing.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last