Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 23, 2005, 8:25 am CDT

older and wiser

older and wiser I am looking for others in the same boat who want to be fit and lean but have age concerns.  Are there any young at heart and mind who would like to join me on a journey to tighten up and lose the  fat despite the obstacle of age?  Join an 80 year old with a 40 year old mind.

I do like and need to have protein in my diet plus fruit but am concerned that the grain carbs cause me to gain and I realize the need for the B vitamins and minerals that I may be missing. 

Would like to welcome all older folks with similar concerns to share information with me.

ready_able

P. S.  Dr. Phil, you are very welcome too although I realize you may not understand the concerns and needs of an 80 year old.  :)

July 30, 2005, 9:40 pm CDT

eating 2 snacks a day?

I have just started the eating plan and find that I am not always hungry for a snack.  Do I really need to eat them?

August 8, 2005, 1:26 pm CDT

Diet

Quote From: sgjones

I have just started the eating plan and find that I am not always hungry for a snack.  Do I really need to eat them?
In my opinion, unless you're hungry for the snacks, there's probably no harm in not eating them. Many nutritionists recommend eating five or six times a day, three small meals and two or three snacks, to keep blood sugar at a steady level and prevent hunger that could lead to cravings and binging. You do need at least 1200 calories a day to keep your body and brain functioing properly and your metabolism from slowing down, no matter how many times you eat. If you can get your 1200 calories from three regular meals, the snacks probably aren't necessary. Or, you could eat a little less for your meals so you'll be hungry for a snack or two. Just do whatever works best for you.

August 15, 2005, 4:59 am CDT

Stuck in a rut

Hello all 

I have been dieting and exercising for about 2yrs I follow Dr Phil weight loss plan and have lost 75lbs.Now i have been stuck and can't seem to lose any more,I work out 4-5 times a week.My work out are 1 hour of cardo and after 1hr of weight training.I keep my heart rate at 135-140.Im 45 years old,I want to loss another 35 pounds.Is there anyone out there that can help me lose the rest of this weight? 

Thanks 

SRR    

August 15, 2005, 8:28 am CDT

Plateaus

Quote From: steverel

Hello all 

I have been dieting and exercising for about 2yrs I follow Dr Phil weight loss plan and have lost 75lbs.Now i have been stuck and can't seem to lose any more,I work out 4-5 times a week.My work out are 1 hour of cardo and after 1hr of weight training.I keep my heart rate at 135-140.Im 45 years old,I want to loss another 35 pounds.Is there anyone out there that can help me lose the rest of this weight? 

Thanks 

SRR    

Embrace your plateaus. I know that sounds silly and cliche, but it was advice given to me once, and I found it to be pretty good. There can be various reasons for you to hit a snag. Often times it's because your body needs to stay at a level you have achieved for a little bit, to catch up. 75lbs is a very substantial amount of weight loss! Sometimes you plateau because you have reached the "balance" point in your eating and exercise regimen. In other words, your are at the perfect maintenance point for the size you are. To continue losing, you may have to take the eating down just a notch. It usually doesn't take much. Or, on the flip side, you may need to do heavier or longer exercise, it can be a choice. Or, if nothing else works, there may be a subconscious reason that you are keeping yourself from losing further. It was at this point in my weight loss that I picked up SELF MATTERS, and found out why I would not give myself the permission to continue. You may need to find your payoff for staying overweight.  I described mine on the "payoff" board.

August 18, 2005, 2:24 pm CDT

Diet

Quote From: steverel

Hello all 

Thanks 

SRR    

You may not need to lose another 35 pounds. A pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. Meaning you could actually gain weight from building muscle, yet look slimmer. It once happened to me. I was doing a lot of heavy lifting, setting up fixtures at a new Wal Mart. After a week of this, my mother asked me how much weight I'd lost. So, I weighed. I hadn't lost a pound. Then, she suggested I try on some clothes that, the week before, had been too tight. So, I tried them on. And, they were loose! I'd slimmed down without losing any weight.

August 20, 2005, 10:58 am CDT

Diet

The only real way to lose weight is exercise and eat right.  Some people may thing they're eating right but in fact they're not.  Most factory produced foods arn't good for you at all.  Fast foods are poison.  Organic is the best way to go.  I am overweight and thought I could never lose weight until I read Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures book.  After I stopped eating different types of processed foods I began to lose weight easily and I'll continue to lose it. 

Diets do not work whatsoever I am a football player and I've been on just about every diet known to man.  They do not work.  Those that do work only work for a short period of time. 

August 21, 2005, 5:04 am CDT

confessions of a dr phil dropout

I work 12 hour days and by the time I get home am too tired to excersize.  I have gained all the weight back that I originally lost on the Dr Phil plan and haven't got back to eating right .  my treadmill and I had an amicable divorce about May.  I'm trying to figure out how to pack simple, finger foods for work..it has to be something I can eat on the run most days(oops I should say nights).  I'm hoping to get back in gear this week when I'm off work.

August 21, 2005, 7:18 am CDT

Sometimes things come up

Quote From: blazergurl

I work 12 hour days and by the time I get home am too tired to excersize.  I have gained all the weight back that I originally lost on the Dr Phil plan and haven't got back to eating right .  my treadmill and I had an amicable divorce about May.  I'm trying to figure out how to pack simple, finger foods for work..it has to be something I can eat on the run most days(oops I should say nights).  I'm hoping to get back in gear this week when I'm off work.
 When you're losing weight sometimes it becomes necessary to shelve the weight loss part of it. This is real life. It is during these times that you learn how to maintain the weight you have lost without gaining any back. This is successful weight loss, and this is exactly what is meant when you are told that it is a life change, not just a diet. Look at it as valuable practice for staying slim once you get to that place you want to be, not as failure.
I know you have gained back everything that you lost, and this can be discouraging, but it can be the lesson you needed to learn. When you had to stop the weight loss you were smaller than before right? There were probably some physical and health benefits that you experienced right? You know you can do this again right? It's just the maintenance part you need to learn.
When we get thrown from the saddle, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get right back up there, a little wiser and better prepared to handle the challenge.
Good luck to you.

August 26, 2005, 7:39 am CDT

No more WLS for me ... I'm there already!

I  spent nearly 2 years using Self Matters to tackle all the stuff to help me to work out Key 4, step 2.  I focused on hobbies and other incompatible activities.  I've bought closure to so much stuff in my life that I'm now at a point where I've already been living most of the new life style already.  That if I continue to try and force myself to tackle the portion control & menu planning, I will never get it! 

It's like for the last 4-5 months I've been hitting this wall.  When I focus on it, I began to write a tape/script that has now become what I've been working so hard on letting go of.  I finally found the words that I needed to hear and it was an AHA moment for me. 

A few months ago, I realized that when I just did what came in my head, I was able to do it. But if I sat down and planned on doing it, I would wake up the next day and not focus on it.  The more I tried to do it, the more I began to feel blue cause I couldn't get myself to do it. 

In THE 15-SECOND PRINCIPLE by Al SECUNDE, he writes that the more we focus on getting rid of the negative, the more it stays with us.  When I read it, potato chips came into my mind - the fact that for the last 5-6 weeks, I've not purchased any chips.  Chips represented to me the need to shutdown emotionally - which is what chips do.  I didn't plan on it, I didn't see it happening - it just was another small tiny step I'd taken to weight loss.  So, I'm going to stop trying to focus on what it is I need to do and just focus on doing. 

I know that sounds strange, but I've reached a major milestone here.  I've obtained so many of my goals already that now, it's just time to just allow myself to be nice to myself and get off my own back.  Good thing, I learned to NOT FEEL GUILTY - that was hard too and I really didn't do anything to change it but remember Dr. Phil's words about not feeling guilty or shame when I didn't move fast enough, or learn it on the 1st or 10th attempt.  To acknowledge that I am doing it and focus on that instead! 

And the best part of all, I'm living the life style.  It may not be 24/7, but it's damn close.  It's the coolest thing!  I really feel good about me! 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last