Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 1, 2005, 8:50 pm CDT

hurtingurl

Quote From: hurtingurl

help??

Hi hurtingurl.....I think your weight is about right. I remember when I was your age and I was 5'5 and weighed 135 lbs and I thought I was too big. Like you, I would compare myself with my friends, so I always was trying to cut back on food and exercise more. I won't even say what I weigh now...too depressing, lol...but I saw your post and it reminded me so much of me. I just wanted to let you know that I look back on photos of myself now and I don't look overweight at all. When I look back I can't believe I thought I was too big. So, in my opinion...your weight is probably just right. Anymore, people are striving to be too thin anyway...so if some are smaller than you...just see it like you are probably way healthier...in fact, I think people who are too skinny don't look too good. Good luck to you...hope I have helped.  

jamrod 

October 2, 2005, 7:39 am CDT

i agree w/ her

help??

I agree with the other lady that replied. When I was your age, I was constantly trying to lose weight and I know now I didn't need to. I would go on diets and eventually be eating 600 calories a day. I lost weight that way, but ruined my body in the process. My advice to you is to eat healthy (no soda with sugar or junk food--or in moderation) and be active. And be HAPPY with yourself. Don't look in the mirror and think negative thoughts, only positive. 

Good luck. 

Cheryl 

October 2, 2005, 11:24 am CDT

Weight is relative...

help??
 Are you active? I too thought I weighed too much in high school because my scale showed a number higher than friends of similar highth and bone structure. I had more muscle though. When I look back on pictures of myself with my friends, I see that I actually looked thinner than some of them, even though they weighed less! I was so convinced I was overweight though, that I didn't notice it at the time. Are you sure you're looking at yourself candidly?

October 4, 2005, 5:58 am CDT

diet help

Iam wanting too lose weight for my birthday but iam going mad trying to figer out  whats healthy,what carbs are healthy what meals to make how many meals to have a day so really i have no idea how to diet what do i do??????? 

October 4, 2005, 3:56 pm CDT

hi..i just wanted to say thanks for the adivce~i will try to exercise & eat/drink less sugary things..but thats kinda hard when ur a teen(most people know what im talking about)..i started doing sit ups yesterday so hopefully if i keep that up & lift weights on my weight machine then i'll lose a little weight~well thanx again..ttyl

October 5, 2005, 10:34 am CDT

Hope this helps....

Quote From: sonherson

Iam wanting too lose weight for my birthday but iam going mad trying to figer out  whats healthy,what carbs are healthy what meals to make how many meals to have a day so really i have no idea how to diet what do i do??????? 

Hi. I just wanted to say that  I am still struggling with my weight so I might seem like an unlikely person to give advice here, but I have lost and gained many times so I know a lot about it. It's not that I don't know the right way to eat. It's that I simply can't seem to stick to a plan as of yet.  

Anyhow, to your question now...I personally have always thought the 6 small meals a day is the best solution because it keeps you from being hungry through the day which causes those of us who have problems in this area to want to binge. I'm not sure which carbs are considered the most healthy, but I know you can't go wrong with raw green vegetables. I have lost weight many times eating plenty of those. Also, don't forget to include exercise into your regimen. Each of the times I went on various plans, exercise seemed to really be one of the main changes that helped the most.  

One more thing. I think it is great that you are losing weight for your birthday...just make sure you plan on changing your way of eating for life because I have lost weight for events before, only to find myself gaining it back slowly after. I just don't want to see you fall into the same slump I did. I pesonally think it's fine to lose weight for an event as a means to get you motivated, but I would use caution in thinking that way to strongly. 

Good luck to you and Happy Birthday! 

October 7, 2005, 4:22 pm CDT

I feel your pain

Quote From: sonherson

I know exactly how you feel. I just delivered my second child in May of this year and I was struggling to lose the baby weight for the arrival of my husband from his six month deployment. I have since then lost 43 pounds. It was not easy and it is hard work. I count calories and watch my serving sizes. I also drink diet soda and tea sweetened with splenda. I still eat cake and ice cream but in moderation. I have a few tips you could use if you are still interested in losing weight. I also have tips and remedies for pregnant and new moms. Good luck in your weight loss endevors.

October 8, 2005, 8:37 am CDT

Sugar...

hi..i just wanted to say thanks for the adivcei will try to exercise & eat/drink less sugary things..but thats kinda hard when ur a teen(most people know what im talking about)..i started doing sit ups yesterday so hopefully if i keep that up & lift weights on my weight machine then i'll lose a little weightwell thanx again..ttyl
I know what you mean about it being hard to resist sugar as a teen. It seems like many teens have made it  a desirable trait, to "get a sugar rush."
It's difficult tor everybody, sugar is addicting. But as a teenager it can be even harder when the attitude is the way it is.
Step number one is to stop telling yourself you can't do it though. Accept the fact that your metabolism can't handle the extra load of calories. When you are offered pop or something you are trying to avoid, just say no thanks, I'm not thirsty or hungry and leave it at that. No need to explain that you are on a diet or whatever.
Can you remember a time when you overate to the point of feeling sick or your stomach hurting? You felt bloated and had to loosen your clothes? Get in touch with an episode like this, feel every miserable moment of it, and refer to it every time you are confronted with food or drink that you shouldn't eat. Then, when you turn the food down, think to yourself: "Nothing tastes as good as slim feels." Then think about how good it felt when you considered yourself slim. Maybe you were able to run up stairs without getting winded, maybe clothes shopping was fun, whatever is true for you. And think to yourself: "Feeling a little bit hungry is my friend." It takes practice, but what you are doing is to replace negative tapes with new ones. The replacements have to be true to you though, your brain knows a lie when it hears it.
You may want to get a copy of Dr Phil's ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS  book.
No matter how prevalent sugar eating is, the two seconds you taste it in your mouth is not worth the years you wear it on your body. If you eat alot of sugar, start with one food that you really have a problem turning down like pop. Cut it from your diet, then move to another when you are used to it.
Good luck.

October 12, 2005, 9:43 am CDT

anyone one else has tyroid problems??

ok, here is the deal, i have just finished reading the dr. phil's book on weight control. i am trying it out, i want to make the changes because i want to be healthy. but the thing is, i have an underactive tyroid gland. i am on medications for it, and my doctor sais i am at normal levels of tyroid hormone again.  

now what i wanna know, is will this make things harder for me? any tips i should know from someone in the same shoes i am?? please i need this to give me hope lol so if anyone else has the same problem as me, tell me how it works out for you. Thanks 

Nicky 

October 12, 2005, 10:21 am CDT

No, it will not make things harder.

Quote From: nickykci

ok, here is the deal, i have just finished reading the dr. phil's book on weight control. i am trying it out, i want to make the changes because i want to be healthy. but the thing is, i have an underactive tyroid gland. i am on medications for it, and my doctor sais i am at normal levels of tyroid hormone again.  

now what i wanna know, is will this make things harder for me? any tips i should know from someone in the same shoes i am?? please i need this to give me hope lol so if anyone else has the same problem as me, tell me how it works out for you. Thanks 

Nicky 

If you have normal levels of thyroid activity with your meds, you should be in great shape. It's those of us who struggle with an underfunctioning thyroid, but not bad enough for the doctor to prescribe meds, that have problems. My sister is on meds and has no trouble losing weight. Her struggle is with all of the reasons she is unwilling to keep it off. I have to work harder to get it off, so I pay close attention to what puts it back on.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last