Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2005, 7:03 pm CDT

diet?

hey~im 16 & weight about 134 pounds & am about 5'6"-5'7"~do u think i need to lose weight??..or am i just absesing..cuz i say im fat all the time  & i just dont know what to say cuz i think i do look fat & if u think i need to lose weight...how should i & how much??

October 14, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

still trying

I am 5 feet tall I used to weigh 180+ I lost alot of weight and always thought I would be happy at a size 6. I reached my goal of a 6 but still weigh 130 which I am told is not good for my height and I am still trying to lose but have been at a standstill for over a year. Nothing I do seems to help the excess weight come off. Is there any advice that someone has for me.

October 14, 2005, 8:27 am CDT

No way

Quote From: hurtingurl

heyim 16 & weight about 134 pounds & am about 5'6"-5'7"do u think i need to lose weight??..or am i just absesing..cuz i say im fat all the time  & i just dont know what to say cuz i think i do look fat & if u think i need to lose weight...how should i & how much??

I think you look great. I think the main problem is that people think all girls should weigh 110 but you are a tall girl and 110 for you would look sick. If I were you I would excercise to be toned bot not to lose. Tight muscular bodies are always prettier than bones. Just look at J Lo. You look beautiful but I know how hard it is for you to see it for yourself. Whoever said mirrors dont lie, LIED! 

October 14, 2005, 12:46 pm CDT

It depends,

Quote From: poolville

I am 5 feet tall I used to weigh 180+ I lost alot of weight and always thought I would be happy at a size 6. I reached my goal of a 6 but still weigh 130 which I am told is not good for my height and I am still trying to lose but have been at a standstill for over a year. Nothing I do seems to help the excess weight come off. Is there any advice that someone has for me.
You don't say what you did to lose the weight. Did you just diet, or did you also exercise?

In any case, it sounds like you are at a balance point. The food you take in and your activity level are just right to maintain the weight you are at. Have you cut down your food level a little more, or lengthened the time or upped the intensity of your exercise?

Then again, if you HAVE been working out pretty intensely, you may have quite a bit of muscles. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. If you are at the right SIZE for your height, this is probably the case. I would get an objective opinion by someone else. Your doctor maybe. Or get a fat percentage test done. That will tell you if you're in a healthy range of body fat or not.

October 14, 2005, 12:53 pm CDT

Your picture.

Quote From: hurtingurl

heyim 16 & weight about 134 pounds & am about 5'6"-5'7"do u think i need to lose weight??..or am i just absesing..cuz i say im fat all the time  & i just dont know what to say cuz i think i do look fat & if u think i need to lose weight...how should i & how much??
 You seem to be worried about your waistline since you bared that for the picture. Your legs look slim and you didn't include your arms, so it's the middle that bothers you right?

A diet of too many carbs can lead to an extended stomach and lower gut area. Believe it or not, breads and sugars in amounts over what you should be eating causes gas build ups that can cause your stomach to look bigger than it is.

Try cutting out sugar and refined carbs like white bread, pasta, donuts, chips, etc. If you do this your stomach should flatten out in a matter of days.

October 14, 2005, 12:54 pm CDT

By the way,

Quote From: ritehere

You seem to be worried about your waistline since you bared that for the picture. Your legs look slim and you didn't include your arms, so it's the middle that bothers you right?

A diet of too many carbs can lead to an extended stomach and lower gut area. Believe it or not, breads and sugars in amounts over what you should be eating causes gas build ups that can cause your stomach to look bigger than it is.

Try cutting out sugar and refined carbs like white bread, pasta, donuts, chips, etc. If you do this your stomach should flatten out in a matter of days.
 You're not fat by any stretch of the imagination.

October 14, 2005, 5:29 pm CDT

Question about The Ultimate Weight Solution

Im getting ready to start living healthier and hopefully lose a little weight in the process I am only 29 and I was diagnosed with high cholesterol.. I have a question the suggested meals and snacks in the book seem like so much food. I have never really had a problem with portion size I eat alot less in a day than what he suggests in the book. Just what I chose to eat is not good for me. Do I have to eat everything. If not what is the best thing to cut.

October 15, 2005, 11:59 am CDT

Personalize it.

Quote From: dwands

Im getting ready to start living healthier and hopefully lose a little weight in the process I am only 29 and I was diagnosed with high cholesterol.. I have a question the suggested meals and snacks in the book seem like so much food. I have never really had a problem with portion size I eat alot less in a day than what he suggests in the book. Just what I chose to eat is not good for me. Do I have to eat everything. If not what is the best thing to cut.
 The amounts are a guideline for the average person. And nobody's average. You have to play around with the amounts, not so much low calorie complex carbs like vegetables, but the calorie dense foods. If you're getting too many calories, you won't lose weight. If you're not getting the right mix of nutrients, you won't feel good.  It seems like a lot when you are recommended to eat 5 or 6 times a day, but these are small meals. The idea is to stay ahead of the hunger curve by eating small amounts at regular intervals. Then you won't be tempted by junk food or to binge.

October 18, 2005, 12:14 am CDT

need to lose more!

since we are discussing personal diet plans, what i do is the old school way...counting calories~~ for me it helps to restrict and avoid things that are high in calories. i'm 5'2~5'3 and so my intake of daily calories is suppose to be like 1800 each day. i restirct myself to around...at the MOST 1000. basically u need to set a budget for ur calories each day,...it's painful but so far i have lot 9 lbs since i started back in .....aug. its a slow diet but i think it woud definitely help with exercise. since i am in college now and classes started, i don't really have time for the gym anymore...i havent gotten down to my desired weight yet...its fluctuating...which is really annoying......btw, is it obessive if i weigh myself everyday, or do we weigh every week??

October 19, 2005, 1:42 pm CDT

Diet

Quote From: poolville

You cannot go by height to say a weight is too high. It depends how much muscle you have. I am 13%bf at 130lbs at 5'1" because i have alot of muscle. There are people who are 5 ft tall and weigh 110 who are fat because their bf% is 25-30%.

In order to give advice we would need to know how and what you eat, activity level etc

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last