Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 3, 2007, 5:07 pm CDT

Help

Hello everyone my name is Mahliah and I am 14 years old, I know I'm young but I really need some help with my weight. I am 5'0 tall and I weigh 157lbs I most recently lost 13 pounds that I am really proud of, but I really need help. I am still very overweight and I'm very unhappy with my body. I am a over eater and it's so hard to control myself when I'm around food that I like, sometimes I don't even notice I'm overeating and looking like a complete pig but I just gobble everything in sight, I'm a complete mess. I would love anybody's advice because I really want to atleast get down to 110lbs by Christmas time, it would be a great present to myself.

Thanks,

Mahliah

September 5, 2007, 9:23 am CDT

Thanks!

Quote From: heavywithworry

Congrats! Good luck and let me know if it works.
 I have noticed differences, thank you! My blood pressure had the most noticeable improvement the first month. Although I only lost about 1lb my clothing was much more comfortable. I had not changed anything about my eating habits that first month. After that I began doing aerobic exercises every other day that I'm not at curves. I have lost a little bit more, something like 2 lbs. I am sleeping much better, feeling more energetic, and can see some definition. It took awhile to get the habit of doing something everyday down. Now that I've accomplished that, I will begin to change my eating. I never see much change in weight until I eat better, so here goes!

November 23, 2007, 2:10 pm CST

Exercise

Quote From: rlbdrbkdb

I join our local YMCA 2 and 1/2 weeks ago.  I need to lose 100 pounds.  I use the Cardio equipment.  I do the bicycle 15 minutes and the treadmill for 15 minutes at different levels and speeds.  I also do the weights for the upper and lower body.  I have been faithful about going everyday.  I got on the scales this morning and I still weigh the same as I did when I started.  My clothes seem to be fitting better.  Maybe it is just my imagination.  How long does it take to see weight loss?  I never really exercised before 2 weeks ago. I know that I can't expect results right away because I know that I was completely out of shape.  Anyone have any advice.  I am motivated for the first time in my life.  I really feel like I can do it this time.  I just need to know what I should expect. 

Thanks 

Rachel in Ohio 

Hi there!!!! I would love to talk to you and maybe we could be a support for each other. I am a bit older than you, I'm soon to be 35 but I feel exactly like you- I may be getting a free treadmill until I at least buy a new one. Are we allowed to share our e-mail addresses on here? By the way, my name is Valerie.

November 23, 2007, 2:26 pm CST

treadmills

Does anyone know what is the best treadmill by the way that will support about 330 lbs.? I've been looking online but I see no weight limits but I know that most of them have them. Also something affordable. Like $400 or cheaper.

November 28, 2007, 5:30 am CST

Exercise

Quote From: aquarius91

Does anyone know what is the best treadmill by the way that will support about 330 lbs.? I've been looking online but I see no weight limits but I know that most of them have them. Also something affordable. Like $400 or cheaper.
 When it comes to treadmills, you really do get what you pay for. If you can't afford to buy a good one, you will be disappointed fairly soon.
However, if you have your heart set on a treadmill, I would investigate TRUE. I have one that has stood a tremendous amount of pounding for 6 years with no maintenance. My husband runs on it and I walk on it nearly every day. We've had 3 other treadmills before this one, and none of them lasted over a year without something wearing out or breaking down. They cost a bit more than others, but when you consider how long they last, it's really a bargain.
If you can't shell out that kind of money, consider walking outside or at a mall or other building and doing other exercises at home.
I love walking for exercise and I congratulate you for wanting to do more of it.

November 29, 2007, 3:57 pm CST

Need some advice!!!

This is my first time writing.   I just don't know what to do.... I  am 44 yrs. old and am a single Mother. I have been working out every morning for a few weeks and feeling great.  It is true what they say about excersize.  It's hard to get started but once you get started it feels great.  I have so much more energy.

That brings me to my problem...I have been doing so well and then I started hurting in my lower back and down my left leg.  Really painful to were I can't even hardly walk.  They call it sciatica.  Anyway I don't know what to do?  I have stopped the tredmill all together.  I have done everything everyone has told me to do and I'm now starting to give up and am getting depressed. 

If anyone has any help to give me I would really be excited.  I don't know what to do?

Thanks for listening.  It helped getting it out!

Dana from Idaho

November 30, 2007, 9:49 am CST

Exercise

Quote From: danakin

This is my first time writing.   I just don't know what to do.... I  am 44 yrs. old and am a single Mother. I have been working out every morning for a few weeks and feeling great.  It is true what they say about excersize.  It's hard to get started but once you get started it feels great.  I have so much more energy.

That brings me to my problem...I have been doing so well and then I started hurting in my lower back and down my left leg.  Really painful to were I can't even hardly walk.  They call it sciatica.  Anyway I don't know what to do?  I have stopped the tredmill all together.  I have done everything everyone has told me to do and I'm now starting to give up and am getting depressed. 

If anyone has any help to give me I would really be excited.  I don't know what to do?

Thanks for listening.  It helped getting it out!

Dana from Idaho

Yup I've been there done that. I'm younger than you and have a bad back. I have to be very careful with mine. Lots of stretching BEFORE I start my walk runs. I had a chiropractor work on mine a few times. Yeah it helped and felt good but heck I got sick of paying him. Try asking your Dr for a muscle relaxer. If you don't have insurance I did this once and it helped but be careful it may not work for you and you can't do it for a few days 2 ibuprofen and 2 acetaminophen at the same time. Ice not heat on your back. You are trying to reduce the swelling in that nerve, that's why it's hurting down your leg. Soak in a tub of cold water. Do very careful stretches with your back with you lying on the floor on your back it's like you are pressing the small of your back on the ground. Be careful go slow and it will get better. I have been down in the back so bad once I crawled through the house! MB

November 30, 2007, 11:57 am CST

Thanks for your help!

Quote From: mbsassy

Yup I've been there done that. I'm younger than you and have a bad back. I have to be very careful with mine. Lots of stretching BEFORE I start my walk runs. I had a chiropractor work on mine a few times. Yeah it helped and felt good but heck I got sick of paying him. Try asking your Dr for a muscle relaxer. If you don't have insurance I did this once and it helped but be careful it may not work for you and you can't do it for a few days 2 ibuprofen and 2 acetaminophen at the same time. Ice not heat on your back. You are trying to reduce the swelling in that nerve, that's why it's hurting down your leg. Soak in a tub of cold water. Do very careful stretches with your back with you lying on the floor on your back it's like you are pressing the small of your back on the ground. Be careful go slow and it will get better. I have been down in the back so bad once I crawled through the house! MB

Thanks so much for your help!  I will try that.  I can't afford to go to the doctor, I have a big deductable.

I have done all the streches and the ice and heat and all of that. But I haven't tried the cold bath??             I will try that and I will keep stretching.  I really want to get back to the tredmill.  Maybe I will start                       w/ some other exercises for the upper body untill I can get back to the tredmill.

Thanks again for your help. and the reply back!

Dana from Idaho

December 8, 2007, 7:03 am CST

Treadmills for 300+ lbs.

Quote From: aquarius91

Aquarius91,

You can find treadmills built for folks over 300 pounds at SizeIsNoLimit.com in their “Healthy Fitness” section.  They specialize in products for plus size and larger people.  You can Google them or copy this address to go to the page with the treadmills http://sizeisnolimit.com/fitness-treadmill-weight-loss-2.html 

Hope this helps, Foxtrot

December 28, 2007, 12:30 pm CST

exercise partner in wichita, ks

trying to find some motivation here in good ol' wichita.

anyone out there?

i'm 24 years old and new to the area

ladebug_17@hotmail.com

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next | Last