Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 13, 2008, 8:35 pm CST

Hate to exercise!!!

I really really want to lose weight but I hate to exercise.  I hear that people get energized and just crave working out.  How do they get that way?  I hate it.  I have all the "stuff".  I even have a place in my house to workout.  I have absolutely no reason not to work out.  I just hate it.  I can never seem to find the time.  I want to crave and love it.  I need to lose alot of weight (35) but everytime I start to exercise, I get sad.  I think that it is not going to happen and I feel so out of shape.  I end up getting myself so upset, I just stop.  Sorry to vent, I just feel a little hopeless right now.  I feel like I want someone to give me a total make over.  You know when you watch those shows, they have all kinds of people making them do the right thing.  I wish I could go away and only work on my weight and self esteem issues and then come back looking and feeling good. 

January 18, 2008, 4:15 pm CST

Exercise

Quote From: danakin

Thanks so much for your help!  I will try that.  I can't afford to go to the doctor, I have a big deductable.

I have done all the streches and the ice and heat and all of that. But I haven't tried the cold bath??             I will try that and I will keep stretching.  I really want to get back to the tredmill.  Maybe I will start                       w/ some other exercises for the upper body untill I can get back to the tredmill.

Thanks again for your help. and the reply back!

Dana from Idaho

Hey Dana I am 38  and been dealing with lower back pain, dr's, chiropractors, massage, etc etc to no real avail. I recently started doing stretching after my walks that include getting down on all fours. I start with my back flat then arching then shifting my weight so the arch rolls all the way up and down my back. After doing this slowly I then lean my rear down to my heals gently tucking my head down to my knees.  I do about 4 reps alternating between these two stretches. Then I get in push up position except on my elbows. I hold for a count of 10 then rest, count of 15 rest up to a count of 30. Since I have done these my pain has been 0-3 on a pain scale instead of 7.

Good luck and don't give up!!

January 26, 2008, 2:23 pm CST

Any ideas?

I am new here and I was just wondering if anyone knew  of any good exercises you can do AT HOME .... I have a busy life and going to  the gym every day is just not realistic right now!

January 31, 2008, 10:20 am CST

big stomach

I have tried many times before to lose weight. I have started again in the begining of Jan. & every time my stomach gets bigger instead of smaller. I do cardio for 20-40 min. a day & weights 2 days a week. I was so angry today I was ready to give up again! 

February 21, 2008, 11:40 am CST

me too

Quote From: happyfamily4

I really really want to lose weight but I hate to exercise.  I hear that people get energized and just crave working out.  How do they get that way?  I hate it.  I have all the "stuff".  I even have a place in my house to workout.  I have absolutely no reason not to work out.  I just hate it.  I can never seem to find the time.  I want to crave and love it.  I need to lose alot of weight (35) but everytime I start to exercise, I get sad.  I think that it is not going to happen and I feel so out of shape.  I end up getting myself so upset, I just stop.  Sorry to vent, I just feel a little hopeless right now.  I feel like I want someone to give me a total make over.  You know when you watch those shows, they have all kinds of people making them do the right thing.  I wish I could go away and only work on my weight and self esteem issues and then come back looking and feeling good. 
 I was just exactly like your description.  For 2 years.  But things got so bad with my muscles deteriorating I HAD to work out.  After 3 weeks I do love it.  I had to push through the sad feelings you describe.  And I have a life long brain injury that causes pain in the muscles all the time.  I exercise anyway.  I hate to sound like Nike but I had to just do it.  I have a person I have to report to every day that I did my exercises.  And yes the first 2 weeks were very very tough.  Anything I can do to support you - let me know.

February 25, 2008, 5:18 pm CST

I was there too.

Quote From: happyfamily4

I know how you feel. I have depression and I have very low self esteem. I have been fighting with my weight for a long time now and it took me a while to get into the swing of exercize. I felt like exercize was to be running on the treadmill for an hour. This of course was not true at all. You just need to get up and move. Don't expect yourself to be a marathon runner the first day. Work yourself up in little steps. Soon it will become routine. With that, you can increase your workout. If you have a hard time commiting to it, sign up for something that you know you will have to do. Even if you just do one hour of personal training so you just get to know the ropes. This way you don't feel limited to the variety of exercize you can do. Also, do something you enjoy, don't waste time on things you don't. That will make you miserable. I know that from experience. 

Sure, on TV they show you people that lose weight. They tell their story like it was no problem at all. What they don't show is the time and hard work it takes to lose weight . Don't give up. Use that "out of shape" feeling as a motivator. I felt really lousy when I didn't work out. When I knew this, this made me get up and exercize, because I did not want to feel that way. In the end when you do get fit you will be that much more proud of yourself, because you worked hard for it. It was not one of those "quick fixes".

Good luck! I hope you find this helpful!

February 28, 2008, 8:39 am CST

Fun Exercise!!

My new year’s resolution for 2008 was to lose weight and get in shape. I joined the local gym and I have been doing pretty well with working out 3-4 days a week. I also started taking oen of the gym's fitness classes called Zumba, which I absolutely love. It’s a combination of all different styles of Latin dance. I like it a lot but it’s making me want to take an actual dance class!!! What kind of dance class do you think I’d enjoy the most? I want it to be fun!!

February 29, 2008, 12:56 pm CST

Exercise

Quote From: peculiarpeople

My new years resolution for 2008 was to lose weight and get in shape. I joined the local gym and I have been doing pretty well with working out 3-4 days a week. I also started taking oen of the gym's fitness classes called Zumba, which I absolutely love. Its a combination of all different styles of Latin dance. I like it a lot but its making me want to take an actual dance class!!! What kind of dance class do you think Id enjoy the most? I want it to be fun!!
  I took dance class for a while but i got in an accident so now i live vicariously through olympic dance competitions, dance movies and dance shows like Your Mama don't Dance

February 29, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

but wait...

hah wait have you seen the show already? it doesnt premiere til tonight at 9 on Lifetime. unless you're from the future! which i will not rule out as impossible.

March 3, 2008, 3:35 pm CST

Help for a friend in danger

My friend is about to get married, but the problem is, she's morbidly obese and gaining. We only found one dress big enough to fit her (luckily she liked it), but she's gaining so fast we're afraid that not only the dress will eventually not fit, but she'll die, the sad thing is, she's only 23.

She wieghs more than 300 pounds now, and we are dreading the day that her heart, or some other organ, gives out. To give an idea of how fast she's gaining, two weeks ago she went to a show with my mother and niece, and she was able to sit in the back seat with the seatbelt on by sucking in a little, two days ago she couldn't get the seat belt over her, it only went to her belly button, and it was the same seat she sat in the two weeks before.

She was very embarrassed about that, naturally, and she finally realized how seriously she needed to lose wieght.

We want to get her out more so she can get excercise, and I have offered to help with that. I need to know excercises that will be safe for her organs and heart, but effective to help her get in shape.

First | Prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next | Last