Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 25, 2008, 9:36 pm CDT

i don't know what to do?

a couple of years ago i was doing good. working out and looking good. but then when i worked out i would get these really weird, almost out of body, feeling. then started having grand ma seizers. i asked my nuro. doc. what i could do about exercise or losing weight and he just said " i don't know. there really is not much you can do. i found out that the weird feelings that i was having were seizers. if i get to stressed or too tired then it could bring on one. i have been on med's for 2 1/2 years and been seizer free for 2 years. i walk when it is not cold or rainy. but i just am lost. i figured it out today, i need to lost 35-40 lbs to get to where i want to be.if anyone is going through this or knows what i could do please let me know. i am really scared to do my old  workout .

please help,

Jenn                                                                                                                                                                       

April 21, 2008, 3:44 pm CDT

Seatbelt Extender

Quote From: redfeathers

My friend is about to get married, but the problem is, she's morbidly obese and gaining. We only found one dress big enough to fit her (luckily she liked it), but she's gaining so fast we're afraid that not only the dress will eventually not fit, but she'll die, the sad thing is, she's only 23.

She wieghs more than 300 pounds now, and we are dreading the day that her heart, or some other organ, gives out. To give an idea of how fast she's gaining, two weeks ago she went to a show with my mother and niece, and she was able to sit in the back seat with the seatbelt on by sucking in a little, two days ago she couldn't get the seat belt over her, it only went to her belly button, and it was the same seat she sat in the two weeks before.

She was very embarrassed about that, naturally, and she finally realized how seriously she needed to lose wieght.

We want to get her out more so she can get excercise, and I have offered to help with that. I need to know excercises that will be safe for her organs and heart, but effective to help her get in shape.

It’s good that you want to help your friend with her weight.  When she decides it’s time, you might help her start by locating a medical professional who can assess what exercises, food and lifestyle changes she needs.  A physical exam is always a good idea before an inactive person begins exercising.

One thing that does concern me is that she isn’t protected by a seat belt while in the car. This is the web address for a company that has seatbelt extenders and other things for larger people.  If you copy and paste it into your browser it’ll take you there:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=Po4u5yuDz5k&offerid=130913.623981203&type=10&subid=">Car Seatbelt Extender

Just so you know, I don’t work for them or anybody else – I’m retired.  Until your friend is ready to lose weight she at least deserves to travel safely and find things in her size that she needs.

April 25, 2008, 9:14 pm CDT

working out right

I have finally decided that I'm ready to lose weight and get into shape.  For years I have "dieted" and for years its been a yo-yo.  I finally decided that I have to take control and get into shape.  I don't usually have a problem with the eating part.  I know how to count calories and I know what to stay away from and what to incorporate.  My problem is working out.  I get the cardio part - the more you sweat the more you burn.  But I also don't want to lose weight and have "loose skin" hanging so I want to tone as I lose (like they do on The Biggest Loser).  I am afraid though that I am going to build muscle over fat.  I am confused because some articles and books I've read tell me that your fat is actually over your muscles and therefore you cannot build muscle over fat and as long as you don't lift weights that are super heavy, you can be safe lifting and toning.  Others have told me that living weights will only cause your "exteremities" to get bigger because you won't lose fat you'll just gain muscle.  Can anyone shed some light on this subject?  I am really confused and so when I do "weight train" I am afraid I'm going to end up looking like a body builder.  Any advice or reference info would be helpful :)

May 23, 2008, 5:22 am CDT

TREADMILL CONTEST

Does anyone know if there was a winner of the Precor treadmill contest that was on Dr. Phil's home page??

It was around Christmastime last year & I sent in an entry hoping to win for my brother.  Not exactly sure when the deadline was, but it was a date in December & I remember thinking it would make a great Christmas gift.

It's not often that I miss a show, but I never heard a winner announced on air.  I thought that during the giveaway show in December they would make the announcement, but nothing.  I never saw anything on this website about it either...the contest banner just disappeared after a time.  Never expected a reply, but I sent email also.

Just wondering.  Thank you!  :)

May 23, 2008, 2:49 pm CDT

Losing Weight

I wasnt always fat but I am 57 and probably 240 pounds with Diabetes II.  I want to know how can I lose weight when I cant exercise due to pain from Multiple Sclersosis? 

May 23, 2008, 4:31 pm CDT

Exercise

Quote From: niteowl490

I wasnt always fat but I am 57 and probably 240 pounds with Diabetes II.  I want to know how can I lose weight when I cant exercise due to pain from Multiple Sclersosis? 

Hi Nightowl,  my mom is 70 and has a slipped disk.  It looks like back surgery is in the cards for her.   She recently lost 30lbs, through only proper eating habits without any exercise.  She doesn't take in more than 1500 calories a day and over a period of time it just came off.  Many women in Hollywood don't exercise, they do calorie restriction.  Yes they go to far with it and look scary, but it their proof it can be done.   I'm 48 and I've maintained my weight through the years by counting calories.  After awhile you get so good at it, you don't even need to read the labels anymore or measure your food in measuring cups.  You just know.  I mentally keep track in my head of the numbers.  You can also write everything down daily and keep track.  Condiments (mayo) adds weight, so don't let the little foods be overlooked.  I make a great chicken salad with fatfree mayo.  I put lots of yummy spices in it.  Yes you will cheat.  Don't beat yourself up, move on and eat better on your next meal.    Do not starve yourself you'll only scarf everything in site when you're completely famished.  You can still have mashed potatoes and foods you love, but you need to have much smaller helpings.   Also do not buy junkfood, chips, cookies, you know the bad stuff.  If it's in your home YOU WILL eat it.   If I had moonpies in my freezer right now I'd be stuffing them in my face, not talking to you.  You know what I mean?  I'm human too, I'll eat it if it's there.  You can't just eat healthier for 6mo's-1yr.   If you stop your new way of eating and positive thinking, you'll go right back to your old life of bad eating habits.  I was raised on fried everything. My moms a cook from West Virginia.  I love to eat, but I like being healthy, happy and fit more.  Everyone wants to be thin, you can't just say, "I really want to be thin"!  You have to commit for the *rest of your*.  This is what skinny people do.   Watch what they eat and do, not what your other heavy friends are doing and your life will slowly begin to change.   I'm so sorry about your MS.  I know Montell Williams has had it for years, but still goes to the gym daily.  I'm sure he has some bad days, but goes anyway.  I've heard that weight bearing exercises are good for MS and can slow it down.  If you're wheelchair bound get some small hand weights and lift in your chair.  If you're not find a gym, even if it hurts it may relieve some of your pain.  You really won't know till you try and in the end you too may just slow it down if you forge ahead and just stay the course.   People who need rehabilitation for an injury go through excrutiating pain, sometimes for years to get back their lives.   I'm not saying there won't be pain, but maybe in the long run you can minimize it.   Good luck to you and you CAN do it.

June 30, 2008, 11:16 am CDT

Exercise

Hi!  This is my first time doing this message board thing.  I have been 'upping' my activity for about a year now, and want to continue.  I only have about 5 - 20 pounds to lose (depending on what chart you read),  but those pounds don't want to leave. I'm doing resistance training once a week with a trainer, 1-2 times a week on my own, and doing cardio (Robert Reams' style) 3 times a week.  I just want to thank Dr. Phil, Oprah Winfrey, Robert Reams, my trainer, and everyone else who works to help folks learn the skills and strategies to change their lives for the better. I also want to thank public libraries for having great books in their collections, like Dr. Phil's "Ultimate Weight Solution"  and Mr. Reams' "Make Over Your Metabolism".  ( Last time I checked Amazon.com, the price was $100.00 for Mr. Reams' book!.  Way out of my budget range!!)  I hope, someday, to reach my goal of being in the healthy range on the BMI charts.  Some days are hard; I hurt, due to various health challenges.  But I try to at least get started and do some moving, like biking for 5 minutes.  Usually, if I just start, I find I can go for at least 10 minutes at one session, then come back later.  Well, thanks for letting me join your message board group.  Keep trying, everyone.  We are never alone.  If we will try to do our best to change for the better, we will receive help and encouragement from beyond the Veil, as well as from good folks on this side.       

July 5, 2008, 8:19 am CDT

New to this and on meds that make you gain weight

Hi, I'm new to the message boards, maybe SOMEONE out there can help me..... I am up to 215 lbs. I am diagnosed major depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, and borderline bi-polar. SO... the docs have me on several meds, all of which make me gain weight. I know deep down that I need to get off my duff and do something about my weight, but what.. and HOW??? I'm scared to exercise, because I don't like people staring at me, I feel grossly overweight (I use to weigh 115-120, even after 3 kids), so I am very uncomfortable around people. And I have no motivation to get out of my chair and exercise... I look in the mirror and am so disgusted with myself, I cut myself down... "what a loser, look at yourself, you did THIS to you" and things like that. If anybody has been in the same boat and found a way out, please let me know, and if you SERIOUSLY know any solutions, I could really use the help. I don't want people to respond with nasty statements, I do enough of that to myself, I need serious healthy help.

July 18, 2008, 12:07 pm CDT

How do I start and keep up

I would like to start working out and just keep it going as my daily routine.

I have never worked out and I hate the pain.How can I keep myself going?

July 28, 2008, 9:13 am CDT

loseing my weight

im 14 years old, in the marching band at my school we just started a couple of days ago, and i really feel like i need to lose twenty pounds, or look leaner,  i have put on more weight after loseing 7 pounds im discouraged, and need help, if i lose this twenty pounds i will be helthy enough for my height, im still growing but i dont want to die early on, i want to be healthy, if anyone is willing to help me lose this weight, contact me at my email. thanks. so much :]

First | Prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next | Last