Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2005, 12:58 pm CST

Believe in yourself

Quote From: txgirl05

Hi, this is my first time ever here.  I'm  41 yrs. old and I have allowed my wieght to take total control over my life. I have not worked in over 3yrs. since I was laided off, and have no motivation on looking for a job.  Everytime  I see myself in the mirror I just want to die, I am so disqusted with myself.  I have a great husband that supports me in every way as well as my boys. I do believe that this is something i have carried since my youth days, from being called ( baby huey, fatty, the blimpe from my own siblings, and through out my adult life some of my siblings have continued. Which I have distance myself from them. Although, I live in a  positive enviroment at home, I have  inbeld in my head that I cannot escape it. I am a healthy woman in every aspect and I do like to exercise. My down fall is in eating the right things. I feel that no matter how hard I try I just don't seem to lose the weight. . As I have grown older I retain alot of water, and really get swollen. So for now I am taking water pills and they seem to be helping some.   Desperately need help!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I am out of control too. I have tried and tried to lose weight but I always seem to fall off the track.  I am 47 and have never posted a message on a bulletin board but I need to do something to change my lifestyle.  I think that we really need to look deep down in our inner selves and ponder the feeling we have.  I have read so many articles and books about weight loss but never seem to apply the information in them long enough to get results.  Is it an excuse or is it easier to do nothing and rationalize failure by saying I tried but it was too hard.  

You need to believe in yourself and know that you have the power to change your lifestyle for the better.  You indicated you have a supporting family, use them for support. Make small deliberate changes to get control.  

So what are you going to do today to start that change?  I am going to read the first chapter of Dr. Phil’s book and exercise for 30 minutes.  I know it will be the first step in the right direction.  If I can do it so can you. Believe in yourself and let me know what you did to start that change.  Good Luck. 

November 20, 2005, 10:05 am CST

End of week two

I lost another 1 1/2 pounds this week! My first thought was "Darn! I could have done better that that!" But after reading chapter 4- Right Thinking, I nipped that thought in the bud. True, I missed 2 workouts this week, but it wasn't because I just blew them off. I had legitamate reasons for missing them. And whatever weight I lost was above and beyond any muscle I've put on. (I've begun adding in a very few strength exercises in addition to my aerobics and stretches.)
I'm happy to say that my workouts are progressing and I'm feeling much better, getting back to the place I was at before I stopped. And even when I miss a regular work out, I try to make up the movement somewhere else during the day, like running up and down stairs or something. I makes it a game, which keeps it interesting.

November 22, 2005, 11:53 am CST

That extra skin

I am a young mother of two boys. But i have that extra skin from my pregnancies. What kind of exercises can i do to get rid of it? I also have those stretch marks. Is there any way to get rid of them totally? Thanks a lot and i would appreciate your in put on trying to help.

November 22, 2005, 3:30 pm CST

need exercise ideas

Quote From: lorna_jane

I am a young mother of two boys. But i have that extra skin from my pregnancies. What kind of exercises can i do to get rid of it? I also have those stretch marks. Is there any way to get rid of them totally? Thanks a lot and i would appreciate your in put on trying to help.
I am a voung overweight mother and looking for exercise ideas...Need to lose about 75 pounds. Please feel free to contact me my email is r_best@comcast.net I also need support. Have no motivation..please help. Renee

November 23, 2005, 8:27 am CST

Workout Ideas

Quote From: renee3977

I am a voung overweight mother and looking for exercise ideas...Need to lose about 75 pounds. Please feel free to contact me my email is r_best@comcast.net I also need support. Have no motivation..please help. Renee

Hello there, 

Im sure everyone has heard millions of ways to exercise and new methods people or trainers are now using either at the gym or in video.   

The reality, I think, is that everything is the same.  I am a firm believer that there is a progression that needs to take place.  What I mean is if you are a beginner just starting to work out well, maybe you should stay away fromt he stability ball if you do not know how to use it.  If you are an intermediate exerciser well then the ball would be great.  If you are and advanced exerciser well then there are a whole bunch of things to do.   

To me however I dont really care if you are a beginner or an advance exerciser.  I have noticed that the best workout that i have seen work for people with different body types and lifestyles is a 20 to 30 minutes of cardio at 60% to 75% of your target heart rate 4 times a week and by lifting weights 3 times a week with in a full body circuit training.  This is very generic but there are different ways you can mix things up that will keep your body guessing and never plataeu. 

Best of luck to you all. 

LOS 

November 23, 2005, 9:08 am CST

Thanks LOS,

Quote From: los013

Hello there, 

Im sure everyone has heard millions of ways to exercise and new methods people or trainers are now using either at the gym or in video.   

The reality, I think, is that everything is the same.  I am a firm believer that there is a progression that needs to take place.  What I mean is if you are a beginner just starting to work out well, maybe you should stay away fromt he stability ball if you do not know how to use it.  If you are an intermediate exerciser well then the ball would be great.  If you are and advanced exerciser well then there are a whole bunch of things to do.   

To me however I dont really care if you are a beginner or an advance exerciser.  I have noticed that the best workout that i have seen work for people with different body types and lifestyles is a 20 to 30 minutes of cardio at 60% to 75% of your target heart rate 4 times a week and by lifting weights 3 times a week with in a full body circuit training.  This is very generic but there are different ways you can mix things up that will keep your body guessing and never plataeu. 

Best of luck to you all. 

LOS 

You are so right. I also use another approach with my exercising. I try to keep the bulk of my work outs in activities that need no, or very little, external equipment. I travel with my husband alot, and you can't always count on gyms or equipment. Having a routine that depends on machines can lead to excuses of not working out. I have a treadmill at home, but walk outside quite a bit anyway, as I have to resort to that frequently when out of town. I also have a strength routine that involves push-ups, crunches, squats, etc, as they can be done in the hotel room. If you don't need external equipment, you eliminate one of the excuses to not work out.

November 23, 2005, 2:47 pm CST

a FUN way to exercise you may look forward to!

Hello everyone,  

Here is a fun way to exercise if you enjoy dancing!  

It is called Dance dance revolution. It is a 'video game' for various popular gaming systems!  

There are different song speeds, games to get new music, dance instruction to give you the basic steps, a WORKOUT mode to keep track of time calories, and progress! It can be done alone, or with a friend..  

As you see in the picture, you have a 'dance pad'  you stand on, that works like a joystick, and to use your feet to follow the arrows on the TV screen! Fast or slow, its up to you!  

As an extra I dance with hand weights as well.. pushing up with the up arrow, back with the back etc.. adds muscle, and burns more calories.  

Personally over a period of aprox 2-3 months of eating a lot better, and playing 3-4 days a week (most weeks, less others) I went down almost 6 pant sizes! Now that I have more muscle tone, I am able to eat many more types of food, and still lose weight! Its amazing! I love the varity of rutine, the comfert of home the reasonalble price, and we can take it with us when we travel if we wish! You could even play it with your older children!!  

I dont want to post anything 'company specific' on here, so if anyone wants more info try seaching online, or email me at denisebickford@hotmail.com! No, I dont sell them, or anything, I just love how this game works for exercising, and I got results, its different, and I would love to help others in my success!!!  

PS.. I am a 25 year old female, married (though my husband is away serving in Iraq, which is what inspired me to lose some weight while he is away!) 

December 8, 2005, 6:58 am CST

Fell down in my 4th week

I was out of town, and allowed my compliant attitude with relatives sabotage my weight loss. So, I'm back where I started but haven't given up. I learned some lessons from this that will help me in the future.
My frustration lately is that I always seem to be starting over with my workouts. It doesn't take long to lose hard won gains in length and intensity of workouts. On the other hand, it doesn't take too long to get back up to speed, but it can be annoying. I keep telling myself my main goal is weight loss, toning, and flexibility, not the Olympics!

December 12, 2005, 12:00 pm CST

Very worried

I am trying to loose weight but I am very worried I am not going to be able to do it.  I am having a hard time getting started and do not have much money to do this with.  DOes anyone have any suggestions?

December 13, 2005, 2:52 am CST

bratdm

Quote From: bratdm

I am trying to loose weight but I am very worried I am not going to be able to do it.  I am having a hard time getting started and do not have much money to do this with.  DOes anyone have any suggestions?

Of course you can do it. If you want to lose weight it doesn't have to cost anything more then your hard work that you have to put in. You didn't say how much you want to lose? You could start by walking every day and add more time as you get fitter. When you buy groceries by more fruit and vegetables and start drinking water at least 6-8 glass a day, don't drink any soda pop. Try to eat fresh foods you prepare your self and try and cut out all the processed foods and packaged foods. 

I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last