Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 13, 2005, 12:19 pm CST

cant find the energy to exercise

December 13, 2005, 12:21 pm CST

Exercise

I am trying to lose weight, but I just dont have the time or energy to do it. I spend all my  time taking care of my 4 month old, and taking care of the home.

December 13, 2005, 2:44 pm CST

Loose It

Quote From: bratdm

I am trying to loose weight but I am very worried I am not going to be able to do it.  I am having a hard time getting started and do not have much money to do this with.  DOes anyone have any suggestions?
I am trying to loose weight  too and just recently I have lost my job and I feel so down .I am now sending out about 15 C.V a day and I know I am strong enough to loose this dam weight. You will loose it too, keep focused on what you really want ! even place cards where u have food that puts the pounds on, just to remind urself as I have to do stuff like that to remind me I dont need 1/2 of what I eat. Take care and I know you will get there...gpwh@iol.ie

December 14, 2005, 12:53 pm CST

You Can Do It

Quote From: kristinac

I am trying to lose weight, but I just dont have the time or energy to do it. I spend all my  time taking care of my 4 month old, and taking care of the home.

Three years ago, I was more than 100 pounds overweight.  I had a bad break-up, moved home with family and decided to change some things.  My family has a history of diabetes, so nearly everyon in my family has a glucometer (device to test glucose levels in the blood) and I decided to see what mine was one night.  Well, it was 390.  Just so you know, 80-120 is normal.  Well, knowing that I needed more than one reading, I fasted that night and the next morning it was 250 and the next morning...250.  So, I made a doctor's appointment and couldn't get in for two weeks.  Well, in those two weeks I changed my diet and walked everywhere.  When I went to the doctor I had already lost nearly 14 pounds (mostly water weight, the doctor said it was okay) and when she took my blood work, my glucose was only 173 and this was pre-medication.  I was also diagnosed with hypertension as well as diabetes II.  Anyway, we started medication for both to get things stable and I began eating the exact portion size of everything!  At the time I had no job and my sister helped me so I couldn't afford to eat fresh foods too much.  I had to work with what I had.  So I ate small meals about six times a day and walked, walked, walked.  Then, about a year later, I got to cut my pills in half because I had lost  30 pounds.  Then six months later I got to stop taking my diabetes medication because I lost another 20 pounds.  Now, my body changed in this process, I wasn't supposed to have children, well, Feb. 4th, 2005 I was told I was pregnant.  My daughter is 2 months old and I didn't have to take meds through that entire pregnancy and I am still doing well.  In August, 2004 I maried my husband and he is way into health.  This is when I upped the scales.  My husband is into body-building and things of that nature, so he became a wonderful resource.  He had me read Body-for-Life by Bill Phillips and it has made such a difference.  The program calls for one hour of weight training (free weights) three days a week, like Mon., Wed., and Fri. and 20 minutes of cardio training three days a week, like Sun., Tues., and Thurs.  Then the remaining day , Sat., is a free day.  You can do and eat whatever you want all day long.  If you want 10 cheeseburgers, well, go for it.  Though I'll tell you this, you never really want all that.  That's the point, knowing you can.  DO NOT keep free day food in your house.  You will tell yourself that you won't eat it until Sat., and that's a big ol' lie!  Go out and get it on your free day.  That's where Dr. Phil's book, The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution comes in.  Create a no-fail environment.  The foods I now buy are soy products, low-fat (don't go crazy with this), whole grains (complex carbs such as brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread and so on), fresh vegetables, non-processed foods, V8 Juice, organic foods, and I eat oatmeal and egg whites.  I could really go on and on.  But I want to get to the no time part.  I used to say that too and it's just not true.  It's about what you decided.  Your baby needs you to be healthy and to set the example of how to live healthy.  I have Leisa Hart's FitMama DVD set.  It contains prenatal and pst natal workouts.  I worked out my entire pregnancy except for the last month and I still walked during that time.  I had a C-Section but have been cleared to exercise again.  I do the postnatal stuff and haven't started back to the gym.  I have lost 28 pounds for a grand total of about 60 pounds since I began this weight loss battle nearly three years ago.  I got lazy and gained some back then relost is... you can lose it faster than I did so long as you stay at it.  Anyway, I let my daughter work out with me and 2 months, to I know your 4 month old can do it and will most likely LOVE it.  My baby enjoys it so much.  There is a secion just for them on the FitMama and Me bonus of the postnatal DVD.  I have used several resources like Dr. Phil, Bill Phillips, Leisa Hart and miscellaneous information for the internet and other books.  My daughter doesn't suffer any time loss and my house is clean.  The DVD's I mentioned have 10 minute segments.  Here in a few weeks, I'm going back to a stricter diet and more exercise, because at some point you have to increase or plateau... but for you, I think that you'll find about 6 weeks of some yoga or the postnatal work I mentioned and a cleaner diet will 1) give you more energy and 2) help you lose the weight.  Plus, make sure you sleep well.  Proper sleep IS part of nutrition.  And as Dr. Phil always says, "You can't give what you don't have."  So invest in you so that you can share with your child.  There is so much more that I can share with you or anyone else who's interested... my email is Mrs_Bill@msn.com.  GOOD LUCK!!!!! 

-April 

December 14, 2005, 4:53 pm CST

April

Quote From: memanisaac

Three years ago, I was more than 100 pounds overweight.  I had a bad break-up, moved home with family and decided to change some things.  My family has a history of diabetes, so nearly everyon in my family has a glucometer (device to test glucose levels in the blood) and I decided to see what mine was one night.  Well, it was 390.  Just so you know, 80-120 is normal.  Well, knowing that I needed more than one reading, I fasted that night and the next morning it was 250 and the next morning...250.  So, I made a doctor's appointment and couldn't get in for two weeks.  Well, in those two weeks I changed my diet and walked everywhere.  When I went to the doctor I had already lost nearly 14 pounds (mostly water weight, the doctor said it was okay) and when she took my blood work, my glucose was only 173 and this was pre-medication.  I was also diagnosed with hypertension as well as diabetes II.  Anyway, we started medication for both to get things stable and I began eating the exact portion size of everything!  At the time I had no job and my sister helped me so I couldn't afford to eat fresh foods too much.  I had to work with what I had.  So I ate small meals about six times a day and walked, walked, walked.  Then, about a year later, I got to cut my pills in half because I had lost  30 pounds.  Then six months later I got to stop taking my diabetes medication because I lost another 20 pounds.  Now, my body changed in this process, I wasn't supposed to have children, well, Feb. 4th, 2005 I was told I was pregnant.  My daughter is 2 months old and I didn't have to take meds through that entire pregnancy and I am still doing well.  In August, 2004 I maried my husband and he is way into health.  This is when I upped the scales.  My husband is into body-building and things of that nature, so he became a wonderful resource.  He had me read Body-for-Life by Bill Phillips and it has made such a difference.  The program calls for one hour of weight training (free weights) three days a week, like Mon., Wed., and Fri. and 20 minutes of cardio training three days a week, like Sun., Tues., and Thurs.  Then the remaining day , Sat., is a free day.  You can do and eat whatever you want all day long.  If you want 10 cheeseburgers, well, go for it.  Though I'll tell you this, you never really want all that.  That's the point, knowing you can.  DO NOT keep free day food in your house.  You will tell yourself that you won't eat it until Sat., and that's a big ol' lie!  Go out and get it on your free day.  That's where Dr. Phil's book, The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution comes in.  Create a no-fail environment.  The foods I now buy are soy products, low-fat (don't go crazy with this), whole grains (complex carbs such as brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread and so on), fresh vegetables, non-processed foods, V8 Juice, organic foods, and I eat oatmeal and egg whites.  I could really go on and on.  But I want to get to the no time part.  I used to say that too and it's just not true.  It's about what you decided.  Your baby needs you to be healthy and to set the example of how to live healthy.  I have Leisa Hart's FitMama DVD set.  It contains prenatal and pst natal workouts.  I worked out my entire pregnancy except for the last month and I still walked during that time.  I had a C-Section but have been cleared to exercise again.  I do the postnatal stuff and haven't started back to the gym.  I have lost 28 pounds for a grand total of about 60 pounds since I began this weight loss battle nearly three years ago.  I got lazy and gained some back then relost is... you can lose it faster than I did so long as you stay at it.  Anyway, I let my daughter work out with me and 2 months, to I know your 4 month old can do it and will most likely LOVE it.  My baby enjoys it so much.  There is a secion just for them on the FitMama and Me bonus of the postnatal DVD.  I have used several resources like Dr. Phil, Bill Phillips, Leisa Hart and miscellaneous information for the internet and other books.  My daughter doesn't suffer any time loss and my house is clean.  The DVD's I mentioned have 10 minute segments.  Here in a few weeks, I'm going back to a stricter diet and more exercise, because at some point you have to increase or plateau... but for you, I think that you'll find about 6 weeks of some yoga or the postnatal work I mentioned and a cleaner diet will 1) give you more energy and 2) help you lose the weight.  Plus, make sure you sleep well.  Proper sleep IS part of nutrition.  And as Dr. Phil always says, "You can't give what you don't have."  So invest in you so that you can share with your child.  There is so much more that I can share with you or anyone else who's interested... my email is Mrs_Bill@msn.com.  GOOD LUCK!!!!! 

-April 

Wow!!! What a great post, My hat goes off to you, That is fantastic I'm so happy for you, I have Body For Life Book and journal, started doing it, But a few obstacles got in my way, But I'm looking forward to start it again, I have been eating right just need to get myself moving, You are such a great roll model, I'm really impressed. Maybe that other Mom that you were posting to could even put her baby in the pusher and go for walks every day with baby. That's a great start and as she's learning new things, and fines what exercise  out what she likes doing,and finds a routine, i know having a new baby and specially if it's your first, can be quite over whelming. 

December 14, 2005, 4:59 pm CST

Need Your rest new mom

Quote From: kristinac

I was just wondering? Do you have anybody that can help you with your new bub,look after the baby for an hour or so that you can have some you time? To exercise or just rest, try taking baby for a walk, get some fresh air and get out of the house, you'll get some exercise, once you start doing that you'll get more energy. I find that when i don't exercise or go for my walk i get down and depressed, and really tired.

December 14, 2005, 5:49 pm CST

Thanks

Quote From: roosters

Wow!!! What a great post, My hat goes off to you, That is fantastic I'm so happy for you, I have Body For Life Book and journal, started doing it, But a few obstacles got in my way, But I'm looking forward to start it again, I have been eating right just need to get myself moving, You are such a great roll model, I'm really impressed. Maybe that other Mom that you were posting to could even put her baby in the pusher and go for walks every day with baby. That's a great start and as she's learning new things, and fines what exercise  out what she likes doing,and finds a routine, i know having a new baby and specially if it's your first, can be quite over whelming. 

I just wanted to say thank you very much for your kind words.  I am careful about that role model thing, because I believe that Jesus is the only role model... the rest of can let people down... we have to look to other things.  I can accept being a good example of doing the best I can do.  In any case, I appreciate your compliments! 

-April 

December 14, 2005, 6:13 pm CST

is it enough ?

Hello everyone,  

I'm trying to lose weight and i wonder if what i do is enough.  I have two kids and a home to take care.  I don't have much time to exercise but i try hard to do my routine anyways.  So, i do the Windsor Pilates 20 minutes tape 5 days a week and plus i try to walk 45 minutes to an hour each day.  But i must admit, i live in Canada and the weather do get the best of me sometimes.  Like today it was -4 (-20*C) i still went but when it's like that every day ...  But anyways, my question is do i do enough to lose weight.  I must say that i did change my eating habits a bit.  Not much, but mainly i stoped sodas and desert. 

Thank you  

Meliade 

December 14, 2005, 8:23 pm CST

Oops Did I say Roll Model

Quote From: memanisaac

I just wanted to say thank you very much for your kind words.  I am careful about that role model thing, because I believe that Jesus is the only role model... the rest of can let people down... we have to look to other things.  I can accept being a good example of doing the best I can do.  In any case, I appreciate your compliments! 

-April 

Hi April, 

Thank you for your thank you, and you are welcome. I hear what your saying, I meant your a good example. Like you I'm also doing the best I can. 

December 14, 2005, 8:31 pm CST

Meliade

Quote From: meliade

Hello everyone,  

I'm trying to lose weight and i wonder if what i do is enough.  I have two kids and a home to take care.  I don't have much time to exercise but i try hard to do my routine anyways.  So, i do the Windsor Pilates 20 minutes tape 5 days a week and plus i try to walk 45 minutes to an hour each day.  But i must admit, i live in Canada and the weather do get the best of me sometimes.  Like today it was -4 (-20*C) i still went but when it's like that every day ...  But anyways, my question is do i do enough to lose weight.  I must say that i did change my eating habits a bit.  Not much, but mainly i stoped sodas and desert. 

Thank you  

Meliade 

Sounds like your doing a great job, all any of us can do is the best we can. How long have you been trying to lose weight? Have you lost any as yet? Stopping that soda was a good idea because it's full of sugar and if you don't burn that it will turn to fat. You need to drink lots of water, I know that really difficult when it's so cold.You could drink warm water with lemon or tea. 

Keep up your good work. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last