Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 14, 2005, 11:35 pm CST

time to lose the baby fat

Hello everyone,  

I am having a problem shedding the baby pounds. I had a little girl 6 months ago, but I still have most of my weight. I do not know where to start to lose the weight. I do not eat a whole lot and have cut out the sodas. I work 3rd shift get about 4 hours of sleep and the rest of the day I trying to get a few naps in with my daughter, cook dinner for my husband to have when he gets home, and do some house work. when and how am I to exercise. I dont like the way my body looks and i know that is interferring with my sex life with my husband. this has got to change, but i dont know how!!!  

December 15, 2005, 1:49 am CST

Time to lose

Quote From: bethanymom

Hello everyone,  

I am having a problem shedding the baby pounds. I had a little girl 6 months ago, but I still have most of my weight. I do not know where to start to lose the weight. I do not eat a whole lot and have cut out the sodas. I work 3rd shift get about 4 hours of sleep and the rest of the day I trying to get a few naps in with my daughter, cook dinner for my husband to have when he gets home, and do some house work. when and how am I to exercise. I dont like the way my body looks and i know that is interferring with my sex life with my husband. this has got to change, but i dont know how!!!  

Hi Bethanymom, 

Congratulations on you 6 month old baby girl. yes can be very over whelming, being a new mom and trying to fit in everything, Do you have an supportive husband? Do you have family or friends able to lend you a hand? It takes about 2 years for your body to bounce back and recover from having a baby. After my first child it took a year before i got back down to my pre-baby weight and after each baby it took a little longer. 

Sounds as though you could do with some sort of schedule, need to set a routine so that you can fit everything that you need and want to do. Your also a working mom, so as well as looking after a new baby you have a job, So you need to get plenty of rest. You need to eat well and healthy, Did you know if you don't eat enough it's hard to lose weight because if your body doesn't get enough food it thinks it's in starvation mode and hangs on to any fat. 

Having a baby does change ones body, I'm sure once you find an exercise or activity that you like and enjoy doing, you'll feel a whole lot better about your self, Make sure you drink plenty of water. What don't you like about your body? I know you said you don't like the way it looks, I think all women or at least most women don't like the way there bodies look , whether they have had babies or not, I'm sure in time that will change. 

It's a mazing how once you start your exercise program or routine how much better you will feel and I'm sure your whole attitude will change about your self. 

If you were to start walking everyday that would really be great for you try to go for 30 or 45 minutes a day.You push baby in the pram(baby buggy) just rug your selves up that would be great for you and baby, Does your baby sleep well at night? 

Hope to of been some help, I'd like to help and give my support in anyway i can to you, I'll check the board tomorrow and look for you. 

Bye 

December 17, 2005, 8:37 pm CST

Sounds Fun!!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: denbic

Hello everyone,  

Here is a fun way to exercise if you enjoy dancing!  

It is called Dance dance revolution. It is a 'video game' for various popular gaming systems!  

There are different song speeds, games to get new music, dance instruction to give you the basic steps, a WORKOUT mode to keep track of time calories, and progress! It can be done alone, or with a friend..  

As you see in the picture, you have a 'dance pad'  you stand on, that works like a joystick, and to use your feet to follow the arrows on the TV screen! Fast or slow, its up to you!  

As an extra I dance with hand weights as well.. pushing up with the up arrow, back with the back etc.. adds muscle, and burns more calories.  

Personally over a period of aprox 2-3 months of eating a lot better, and playing 3-4 days a week (most weeks, less others) I went down almost 6 pant sizes! Now that I have more muscle tone, I am able to eat many more types of food, and still lose weight! Its amazing! I love the varity of rutine, the comfert of home the reasonalble price, and we can take it with us when we travel if we wish! You could even play it with your older children!!  

I dont want to post anything 'company specific' on here, so if anyone wants more info try seaching online, or email me at denisebickford@hotmail.com! No, I dont sell them, or anything, I just love how this game works for exercising, and I got results, its different, and I would love to help others in my success!!!  

PS.. I am a 25 year old female, married (though my husband is away serving in Iraq, which is what inspired me to lose some weight while he is away!) 

Wow that sounds like so much fun.  I would enjoy that as part of my exercise program.  That would help keep my routine different and fun.  I am trying to get involved in other sports, exercise programs etc to keep from getting bored.  I will email you to get the info on where to find it.  Keep up the Great Work!!!!!!!!!  Doesnt it feel sooooo GREAT!!!!!!!!!!  Take care. 

December 18, 2005, 1:45 am CST

You'll Love This

Quote From: razorbacks

Wow that sounds like so much fun.  I would enjoy that as part of my exercise program.  That would help keep my routine different and fun.  I am trying to get involved in other sports, exercise programs etc to keep from getting bored.  I will email you to get the info on where to find it.  Keep up the Great Work!!!!!!!!!  Doesnt it feel sooooo GREAT!!!!!!!!!!  Take care. 

Do you own a Play station 2, Then you can buy this great eye toy game It's called Kinetics, I'll read a bit of the back of the game It reads-IT"S JUST YOUR PERSONAL TRAINER AND YOU 

Invigorate your fitness regime with Eye Toy: Kinetics, a highly personalized workout programme designed to improve stamina, body conditioning and relaxation. It's fun, effective and based on a holistic approach to exercise that will help you achieve your fitness goals, beat stress and boost energy, no matter what your fitness level. 

I bought one recently and it's so much fun, I spent 3hrs the first day, that I had gotten it the time just flies and you just want to keep on going I'm doing the 12 week programme. I have muscles that I haven't felt In years. 

Bye 

December 18, 2005, 12:42 pm CST

That sounds great!

Quote From: roosters

Do you own a Play station 2, Then you can buy this great eye toy game It's called Kinetics, I'll read a bit of the back of the game It reads-IT"S JUST YOUR PERSONAL TRAINER AND YOU 

Invigorate your fitness regime with Eye Toy: Kinetics, a highly personalized workout programme designed to improve stamina, body conditioning and relaxation. It's fun, effective and based on a holistic approach to exercise that will help you achieve your fitness goals, beat stress and boost energy, no matter what your fitness level. 

I bought one recently and it's so much fun, I spent 3hrs the first day, that I had gotten it the time just flies and you just want to keep on going I'm doing the 12 week programme. I have muscles that I haven't felt In years. 

Bye 

That sounds great too! Maybe I should have invested in that system and gotten both games! THe more variety the better! Thanks for the idea!  

So far so good for me over the holidays.. its hard eating right with so many temptations around though!  

Denise :) 

December 19, 2005, 1:48 am CST

Denise

Quote From: denbic

That sounds great too! Maybe I should have invested in that system and gotten both games! THe more variety the better! Thanks for the idea!  

So far so good for me over the holidays.. its hard eating right with so many temptations around though!  

Denise :) 

Your welcome, I hear what your saying very difficult, All we can do is are best. And if we succumbed to temptation we can remember that tomorrow is another day, Got that last part of that line from Gone With The Wind,lol. We have to make sure we keep our bodies moving and step up are workouts to make up for any bad food choices or to much food we may eat. 

See ya. 

December 19, 2005, 8:59 am CST

College student also !!!

Quote From: mettie1

Hi I am about to turn twenty in the next few weeksi have gained quite of bit of weight with the past few months or from this time last year i know that i do not eat right how many college students do eat right while in school.  Ok last time i check i am little above 200 lbs. I know i can be able tolose weight my biggest problem lack of exercise my college has a gym. but i do not know what to do and how long to do exercises and i stop using the gym becuase i do not have anyone to share the expeirience. does anyone know if there is a way where  i can get my self the pride to use the gym. 

Hey college student... 

I am almost 40 years old and also a full-time college student. I am going thru the Nursing Program and my obstacle is that I have sooooo much to study, that I don't have a lot of time to exercise, but when I do, I exercise at the gym on campus...no contracts, no payments, all I need is my student ID. I can only tell you what motivates me and I really hope it encourages you...IT"S FREE to the students to start with, the profesors are right there on site and I'm sure they can give you a few hints on exercise, and what really gets me up and going is MUSIC !!! If you love music, get a CD player with your favorite music and go for it. If you do not have a partner, don't wait for one, don't wait for no one...Common you're half my age...Let's go !!! And good luck. 

December 19, 2005, 7:10 pm CST

End of my 6th week

Well, I didn't lose any last week. But I didn't gain any back either, so it's all good. I didn't get much exercise or I would have lost something. I was out of town the end of the week, stayed with some friends. It was snowing, windy and cold, so I decided not to walk, and decided to be a vegetable. So I was very strict with my eating to compensate. However, at my age, I have to do EVERYTHING right to lose. I'm looking forward to getting back to it this week. I really missed my work out room!

December 27, 2005, 8:44 pm CST

How do you get motivated to exercise?

I know what is healthy to eat and what is not. I can handle that part of loosing weight. I just can't get motivated to start and keep up with exercising.  I just can't seem to get started. Not sure what I am afraid of? I know I can't do it without exercising. I bought a treadmill 2 months ago...need I say more? 

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!!!   

Thanks 

December 27, 2005, 11:07 pm CST

exercise

Quote From: angelgirl7

I know what is healthy to eat and what is not. I can handle that part of loosing weight. I just can't get motivated to start and keep up with exercising.  I just can't seem to get started. Not sure what I am afraid of? I know I can't do it without exercising. I bought a treadmill 2 months ago...need I say more? 

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!!!   

Thanks 

I exercised tonight, did pilates for 45 minutes. Why? because it gives me endorphins and "endorphins make people happy and happy people just don't kill their husbands!"  I don't like to exercise. I like to have fun and move around, but being out of breath while playing with friends gets embarassing, so I decided to lose weight. hopefully 30-40 pounds and get into shape. Diets and pills...sure they can help....but what really makes the differece, is the changes we're making! and exercise happens to be one of them. 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last