Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 28, 2005, 1:53 pm CST

I meditate

Quote From: angelgirl7

I know what is healthy to eat and what is not. I can handle that part of loosing weight. I just can't get motivated to start and keep up with exercising.  I just can't seem to get started. Not sure what I am afraid of? I know I can't do it without exercising. I bought a treadmill 2 months ago...need I say more? 

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!!!   

Thanks 

I learned how to self-hypnotize about 3 years ago, and it makes a world of difference. I use time on the treadmill to meditate. I used to listen to music, but I find that workouts are more satisfactory when I'm "present". I really get involved in how good it feels to move.

December 30, 2005, 10:57 am CST

Exercise

Quote From: angelgirl7

I know what is healthy to eat and what is not. I can handle that part of loosing weight. I just can't get motivated to start and keep up with exercising.  I just can't seem to get started. Not sure what I am afraid of? I know I can't do it without exercising. I bought a treadmill 2 months ago...need I say more? 

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!!!   

Thanks 

The trick is to just do it, even though you don't want to  or will not want to.  It doesn't matter.  You just do it.  Simple.  Get yourself into a routine, even if you run for 5 minutes (I have asthma and that's about as long as I can run!!)  The intensity will give you a great workout, but then walk for a favorite TV show at a high pace.  Soon enough, you'll realize that you're doing it out of habit, not because you want to, but because you do.  Then, if you stop for a day, you'll have that nagging feeling, something's missing?  What is it? 

I'm pregnant right now, and I am in dire need of getting back on my treadmill, but I have to wait until I give birth, stupid complications!!!  Made me gain 60 lbs!!!  I went from perfect me,  I was so happy that I lost the weight I needed to, 125lbs to 185lbs!!!  Yeah, I'm mad about that, but I dearly miss my treamill, in the corner, calling my name, everyday.  Ha Ha. 

Do like Nike and Just Do It. 

I will. 

December 30, 2005, 11:04 am CST

Doing what Works

Quote From: elffie

Tell me about it, I have had two kids, both were ceserian and I found it very hard to loose the fat around my tummy.  I did yoga and Tai Chi, but now I am into pilates.  It is a whole body workout and it seems to be paying off.  I try to do it atleast three times a week, usually when the kids go to bed.  I know I can hide that part of my body, but I would rather work on it, it makes me feel better after I've done the excercize.  The abs are first on my list, but I do work on other areas, such as legs and thighs.  I just had my daughter 4 months ago and didn't hesitate to work out when I was able to start.  I waited too long after I had my son and got down to the size I was before I had him just around the time I got pregnant again.  I didn't want to wait that long this time.  What I am trying to say is that Pilates is a good workout and it usually only takes up 20 minutes of my time and people should give it a try.  I have already lost 4 inches in my tummy since I started it!  Good luck to all and keep on trying.

People need to realize that if they find what works for them, keep up with it.  The only problem is that people think they can spot reduce, and you just can't.  

What loses fat is cardio and weight training, what keeps it off is proper diet and nutrition, and by diet I mean nutrition, not the latest fad out there. 

I do agree, I am 32 weeks pregnant, and now huge!  I am not waiting a day before I get back on my treadmill and pick up my weights, after all, I'll have 4 months until bikini season starts!!  AAAAAHHHH!!!  Time to jump up and do it eh? 

Good luck to ya!  I'm glad it's working for you! 

December 30, 2005, 11:08 am CST

Stretch Marks

Quote From: hotchikie

I'm sorry to have to tell you your stretch marks are here to stay. There's is nothing that you can do about them except, learn to except them, I have had six babies, didn't have a weight problem, after my first born no stretch marks that I could see, My second pregnancy which were twins, I ended up with stretch marks of all places on by stomach between my rib cage and belly button. No amount of creams,positions or beauty shops is going to get rid of stretch marks. They may shrink in time and fade as mine have done. Once the skin has stretched and stretch to far it doesn't go back. 

Why would I or anybody be offended from gaining stretch marks from having children, that's a small price to pay for that blessing. I see so many young girls with stretch marks, they've had no children, I got mine from having children. 

Mine are called "Mommy Medals"

December 30, 2005, 4:16 pm CST

Mommy Medals

Quote From: stefywi

Mine are called "Mommy Medals"
You have a great attitude goodluck with the birth of your baby, is it your first?

January 3, 2006, 6:04 am CST

Exercise

Quote From: hotchikie

You have a great attitude goodluck with the birth of your baby, is it your first?

I am fortunate enough to be having my second child.  My first was my daughter, whom I had by myself, and this one will be my son.  Finally with someone.  YAY! 

Thanks for the luck! 

January 3, 2006, 10:20 am CST

Medical Tests

Quote From: snaqueb

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me?

I am 24 years old and I generally have fairly low energy levels, and tend to need a lot of sleep to function properly (my ideal is 9 hours a night).  In March, I started reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book, and joined a local gym.  I got a personal trainer, and followed the program she made for me.  I went to the gym 3 times a week faithfully, and did my strength training program and 30 - 45 minutes of cardio every time I went.  After about 3 months, I had to stop going to the gym as I was just too tired all of the time and it didn't seem to be getting any better (actually, it was getting worse).  I was eating properly, getting good amounts of protein and carbs, but was still tired.

So, having heard my story, I was wondering if any of you have any advice/opinions.  Some people have told me that I may have low iron, as I have some of the other symptoms of low iron as well (heart palpitations, slow healing of muscle aches/pains), but my doctor insists that my iron levels are fine (she only did a general blood test though).  Should I get a second opinion, or ask for more tests?  What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Snaqueb

I had the same problem.  The only thing that I can suggest is looking at something else other than low iron. 

It's call haemochromatosis.  Too much iron, or iron overload.  It can mask MANY different problems, and causes a lot more.  Iron overload may be caused by increased absorption of iron from the intestine even when the body does not require it. This is called primary iron overload. This is usually caused by an inherited abnormality known as hereditary haemochromatosis.  You'd have to go for genetic testing as I have done.  I thankfully don't have the gene, I just have a lot of iron, I have to cut down on spinach, the more I eat, the more tired I get.  So, red meat?  OUT.  Dark green leafy veggies?  Cut WAY back.  I take  a multivitamin to keep up, but, there's iron in them.  Boo.  I'm pregnant right now, and my iron levels are more close to normal, but still high. 

I found out about this because my doctor was looking for low iron.  And found the opposite.  It's easily missed by doctors, being one of the MOST misdiagnosed diseases around.  About 1 in 333 people carry the gene, though not all affected.  

Excess body iron may also be caused by large numbers of abnormal red blood cells being destroyed and releasing their iron. This is known as secondary iron overload and it may also be inherited. 

There are a lot of things to look at but I suggest you google the word and look for the symptoms.  And, when in doubt, if you are tired from exercising, try a different time of day, eating one hour before a high protein moderate carb, something even a little starchy to provide immediate source of energy, and a light post workout snack, like a yogurt (100g) and a complex carb, 1/2 slice of multiwhole grain bread.  It must be a protein and a complex carb, but less than 150 calories.  Avoid fruits and fruit juices after a workout.  The immediate sugar can wreck havoc on what you had just done. 

I hope this helps a lot.  I know how frustrating it can be. 

Good luck! 

January 4, 2006, 9:05 pm CST

lose weight with exercise?

Hey ya'll, 

I understand that exercise is extremely important part of losing weight.  My dilemma, is that I injured my back in Dec. and am still having problems with it.  I do belong to Curves and went back today for the first time since my injury.  I am very frustrated and disappointed that I can no longer do all of the exercises due to my back.  Any suggestions for other exercises that don't require a different gym membership or exercise equipment, and wont reinjure my back?  Jewels

January 6, 2006, 10:00 am CST

Check with a physical therapist

Quote From: jsdbaker

Hey ya'll, 

I understand that exercise is extremely important part of losing weight.  My dilemma, is that I injured my back in Dec. and am still having problems with it.  I do belong to Curves and went back today for the first time since my injury.  I am very frustrated and disappointed that I can no longer do all of the exercises due to my back.  Any suggestions for other exercises that don't require a different gym membership or exercise equipment, and wont reinjure my back?  Jewels

Jewels, if you have health insurance and it covers physical therapy, talk to your doctor and have him recommend you seeing a therapist.  When my feet and calves cramped up real bad, my doctor wrote a prescription for me to see a physical therapist.  It was wonderful.   He was able to give me at-home exercises for me to do (which I still do when needed). 

They can help you -- you can see if they recommend MAT pilates.  It's about developing your stomach core muscles which strengthens your back muscles. 

But do check with a physcial therapist if your health insurance pays for it!  It's the best thing I did for myself in 2004! 

January 6, 2006, 10:10 am CST

GOAL: 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week

I have been going to the gym - well this week begins my 3rd year and I'm so surprize that I've been doing it for so long!  I've managed to do it 2 times a week and anymore then that is not in the cards for me.  However, right now, I'm taking 2 classes on Tuesday & 2 classes on Thursday.  I'm not sure how long that's going to last cause by the time I get home 5 hours later, I'm ready to crash! 

My goal is to do this for 1 month so that I begin using my pilates and yoga videos at home.  I wanted to get an instructor's correction to many of the movements so I won't have that nasty self-talk tape running that says:  YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT!    

I take a Healthy Back Class (my bone density test last summer diagnosed weakness in my lower back) so I began taking this class on Tues / Thurs at 9 a.m.  I'm not a morning person and it took me 2-3 months to feel comfortable with the routine.  Then they offered a Tuesday's Pilates class at noon and a Thursday's Yoga class at noon.  I have to hang around the gym and I have decided to use the time to do my weekly shopping or read.   

I don't watch the clock like I first did with the back class; however, the other 2 - well, I'm just thankful the classes are only 45 minutes long.   

My goal is to eventually work up to 30 minutes a day ...  Come nice weather I walk the dogs; however, after 3 months my body won't acknowledge it as exercise so I'm going to work out a routine now that I can continue throughout the year.   

Has anyone else done this?  How did you achieve your goal? 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last