Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2005, 3:28 pm CST

Which "healthy foods" are you referring to?

Quote From: teviv4

Hi there Cluekeeper 

I'm a 31yr old female that has also given up on trying to live healthy via health foods. I live in South African and believe me it's not any easier or cheaper buy "healthy" foods here either. You are constantly being lied to about everything. We have a SABS here which is supposed to control this, but it ain't working. You buy "low fat" foods shich aren't low fat at all.  

Please don't give up hope. Think about the leprechauns pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Eat normal foods but cook them healthier. For example, instead of frying the meat - grill it.  

I'm not a skinny person. For my build (lenght) I'm 30 kilograms overweight - and that's according to my very own skinny (and might I add, very beautiful) female doctor. 

If you feel like "talking" to someone about how you feel the day, you can email me and we can "chat. I'm not always online but do get around to emails at night. 

The healthy foods Dr Phil talks about in his books are natural, whole foods. Nothing that is highly refined with lists of additives and preservatives.  So what you should be eating are fresh meats, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains. Anything that looks like a snack item and comes in a box or bag should be off limits, no matter what the labeling says.

In my experience, it has been cheaper to eat natural, healthy foods, but preparation time is longer, so you have to spend some time planning and preparing. This is where I fall down quite a bit, I wait too long to start preparing, and then start "tasting" as I'm cooking. Once you get into the habit though, the rewards are tremendous because you feel so much better!

November 7, 2005, 8:42 pm CST

HI TO YOU...

Quote From: lucky35

Hi, I'm in my mid 30s and I used to exercise (weights) 3X/week. Then I cut back to 2X/week, now I am exercising (with weights) 1X/week.  The reason being is that for one, I got married and my schedule is jammed packed with school and work. I seriously had to cut-back on something to better balance my life out!  I also figured that my work-out only lasts for 1 day anyways, so I didn't really see the relevance of working out 3x/week. I have a nice upright bike on lay-a-way that I am about to get out and I can't wait!  I figured that I could still exercise with weights 1x/week and then use my bike at home to do intense cardio training (you can adjust your resistence with this bike) to supplement my weight work-out.  I have also been focusing on eating a lot more healthy and I have lost some weight. I still want to lose 10 more pounds. So...what I'm trying to say is that I think it is better to eat healthy and lose weight and get my body in a very good BMI state and do a good cardio work-out at home 2-3x/week (for 15-60 minutes) AND weight-train only once a week at the gym then it is to eat anything I want and work out with weights 3x/week.  Any thoughts would be appreciate?! Thank you.

I have been told that if you exercise for atleast 30 to 45 minutes 3 times per week, that can be quite good for you and your body. If you want to do more then do so. 

My hubby and I joined a Gym just afew weeks ago and well I'm going on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and workouting for atleast 45 minutes. I do 5 minutes warm up on the tredmill and then I go and do some cardio exercises like, doing different exercises with small weights and then after that I'm back on the tredmill for 10 minutes and getting my heart rate up to about 140 or so beats per minute.  

Each time I go to the Gym I have been pushing my body just that little bit harder so that my body gets use to the exercise. I hope to start seeing some results sooner than later. 

Good luck to you and please TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

November 9, 2005, 9:54 am CST

This is the week!

I started reading Dr Phil's ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION  on Monday and am staying at chapter 2 for the week while I write out my goals. If anybody would like to join me, welcome aboard. I've talked about some of my bad habits, and my diet on the other boards, so I won't go into that here.

I know how to lose weight, I've done it before. I lost 50 lbs 1/12 years ago, then have gained back 25. I was within 10lbs of my goal back then, so I now need to lose 35 lbs. I think I was not successful in the long term because I have not incorporated all of the keys into my lifestyle. I had lost all of that weight before I bought the book, so I just skimmed through it, thinking this is good, but I don't need it now. Well, I SHOULD  have read it in depth. I may have lost that last 10 lbs and kept it off. All is not lost if I've taken the lesson to heart though.

This is the exercise board, so I will list my exercise problems. I have had a very good program in the past, but I've become bored with it and need to branch out. I'm extremely fortunate to have a husband who has always made health and fitness a priority, we have a treadmill and various other equipment downstairs. In addition to my routines here at home, I'm going to look into something outside the home, I'm thinking Yoga. I love stretches, and I like meditation, it seems like a natural choice. In the summertime we do alot of hiking, and my husband and I climbed our first 14,0000 mountain this summer. The only problem was, I ate more while I was getting into shape for that, telling myself I was putting on muscle. I lost 4 lbs on the climb, but put on 6 after wards when I relaxed my routine. Then, I succumbed to feelings of guilt and quit working out altogether for awhile. Why do I do this?

I know how much better I feel though, when I'm in shape, so it's back in the saddle for me. I've been back on the treadmill for 3 days and already feeling better, even though I'm not up to the workouts I was before. It's all movement, it's all good.

If anybody would like to join me, I'm on the 2nd chapter and will stay here the rest of the week, while I write out my goals. I want to be as detailed as possible when I write them.

November 10, 2005, 5:42 am CST

losing wheight

I'm 20 years old. And a mother of 2. A 1 year old and a 3 month old. And I'm looking for all kinds of weight lose ideas that really work. Anybody have some ideas.

November 12, 2005, 7:50 am CST

Ideas that really work...

Quote From: desw0315

I'm 20 years old. And a mother of 2. A 1 year old and a 3 month old. And I'm looking for all kinds of weight lose ideas that really work. Anybody have some ideas.
 I've found that just about every fad diet that comes around works to lose some weight. But they never teach you what you need to know to keep it off. Get Dr Phil's ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION and decide to change the habits that put you where you are. Otherwise, you'll just lose through willpower and gain it right back because you did nothing to change the underlying behaviors.

November 12, 2005, 7:59 am CST

Boy have I gotten out of shape!

It sure doesn't take long to lose all of the toning once you revert to being a couch potatoe again. At the beginning of the week I found out that even light exercise can put a strain on muscles that took far more work just a few short months ago. Rather than get depressed about it though, I just cut back for the time being. It does no good to get hung up on feeling guilty and saying things to myself like "You lazy slob! Get with it, no pain no gain!" I never went in for that pain thing, after all, I'm not training for the Olympics here, I'm getting in better shape to be able to do the things in my life that I want to do, without fear of injury or strain. Pain just sets me back. Besides, it's so much easier to start slow and easy and build up, it takes less time than you think to get to a point that you can safely push yourself. I'm may be starting back at the beginning, again, but it's all movement, it's all good!

November 12, 2005, 6:45 pm CST

pregnant woman needs advise

hello everyone! I am 25 years old and beginning the my 5th month of pregnancy with my second child.  My first child I gained 60lbs, never lost it and gained a few extras.  I have started to eat healthier and I am drinking lots of water.  I try my best to walk atleast 2 hours a day, but with winter on it's way and a 2 year old I may not be able to go out everyday so I would like to have more options. I know swimming is good for pregnant women but I do not have access to a pool or classes that is convient for my schedule and not very interested in wearing a bathing suit right now.  Does anyone know of other safe exercises I can do during my pregnancy? After my child is born I would like to start jogging, but need to get into shape first.  Any and all advise would be greatly appriciated. Thank-you.  

November 15, 2005, 7:00 am CST

desperately in need of help

Hi, this is my first time ever here.  I'm  41 yrs. old and I have allowed my wieght to take total control over my life. I have not worked in over 3yrs. since I was laided off, and have no motivation on looking for a job.  Everytime  I see myself in the mirror I just want to die, I am so disqusted with myself.  I have a great husband that supports me in every way as well as my boys. I do believe that this is something i have carried since my youth days, from being called ( baby huey, fatty, the blimpe from my own siblings, and through out my adult life some of my siblings have continued. Which I have distance myself from them. Although, I live in a  positive enviroment at home, I have  inbeld in my head that I cannot escape it. I am a healthy woman in every aspect and I do like to exercise. My down fall is in eating the right things. I feel that no matter how hard I try I just don't seem to lose the weight. . As I have grown older I retain alot of water, and really get swollen. So for now I am taking water pills and they seem to be helping some.   Desperately need help!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

November 15, 2005, 10:48 am CST

Have you been tested for food allergies?

Quote From: txgirl05

Hi, this is my first time ever here.  I'm  41 yrs. old and I have allowed my wieght to take total control over my life. I have not worked in over 3yrs. since I was laided off, and have no motivation on looking for a job.  Everytime  I see myself in the mirror I just want to die, I am so disqusted with myself.  I have a great husband that supports me in every way as well as my boys. I do believe that this is something i have carried since my youth days, from being called ( baby huey, fatty, the blimpe from my own siblings, and through out my adult life some of my siblings have continued. Which I have distance myself from them. Although, I live in a  positive enviroment at home, I have  inbeld in my head that I cannot escape it. I am a healthy woman in every aspect and I do like to exercise. My down fall is in eating the right things. I feel that no matter how hard I try I just don't seem to lose the weight. . As I have grown older I retain alot of water, and really get swollen. So for now I am taking water pills and they seem to be helping some.   Desperately need help!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I have sensitivities to wheat and it causes bloating, gas, water retention, grogginess, and sleep problems. I had been trying to lose weight for so many years by cutting out all fat that I had yeast problems from replacing too many protein foods with wheat based foods. Once I stopped eating wheat, and got the protein I needed those problems went away.

November 15, 2005, 10:52 am CST

Week Two

I lost 3 1/2 lbs last week. I know the real work starts this week though. The first one is always a loss of retained water from eating foods that don't agree with me. I also went very easy on the exercise since I've let myself get soft.

This week I do something everyday, unless something comes up and prevents me from my walk or work out. And I lengthen the distance, time, or intensity of whatever I'm doing. Not by much, but enough to begin working alittle harder.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last