Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 23, 2005, 7:07 am CDT

Exercise for the Older / young at heart

I am hopeful some other seniors with a similar desire will join me in seeking good exercise routines and motivation for the young at heart.  We do have limitations and safety must be a priority, but let us share information and ideas about fitness for US. Perhaps Dr. Phil will guide us to a suitable destination when we look eagarly at his boot camp results without hope of participating.

ready_able

July 24, 2005, 10:08 pm CDT

exercise for seniors

I am hopeful some other seniors with a similar desire will join me in seeking good exercise routines and motivation for the young at heart. We do have limitations and safety must be a priority, but let us share information and ideas about fitness for US. Perhaps Dr. Phil will guide us to a suitable destination when we look eagarly at his boot camp results without hope of participating.

ready_able

you can get good ideas from the internet site of of the national institute for the aging.  i actally have a pamplet they sent me.

this is the site

http://search2.google.cit.nih.gov/search?q=exercise&site=NIA&client=NIA_frontend&proxystylesheet=NIA_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&filter=0&getfields=*&submit=SEARCH

besides that you can do a search for seniors - exercise and get lots of information and routines.

July 25, 2005, 6:19 pm CDT

senior videos

Quote From: ready_able

I am hopeful some other seniors with a similar desire will join me in seeking good exercise routines and motivation for the young at heart. We do have limitations and safety must be a priority, but let us share information and ideas about fitness for US. Perhaps Dr. Phil will guide us to a suitable destination when we look eagarly at his boot camp results without hope of participating.

ready_able

Sometimes I get to be considered a senior (I'm 55), and I've been helping my mom (80 young years) get started with exercise. I don't know if you like videos/ DVDs or not, but a fantastic resource is http://collagevideo.com.

Use the key search word "seniors" and it will pull up all the titles they have for seniors exercising. What's neat about this web site is that you can click on the title, then click to play a 60 second preview of the video itself. It gives you a really good idea of the pace, voice of the instructor, etc. I searched and found these titles:

Specialty videoSeniors 30 Beginner Leslie Sansone's Walk & Firm for Older Adults
(Summer 05 catalog shows 'Walk Aerobics for Seniors') $14.95  $12.95 Specialty videoSeniors 56 Instructional Tai Chi for Seniors $19.95  $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 41 Intermediate 50 Plus Exercise with Margaret Richard $11.95  $11.95 Specialty videoSeniors 28 Beginner Richard Simmons' Platinum Sweat $14.95 Specialty videoSeniors 51 Begin/Inter In Sync with Cindy $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 41 Begin/Inter Silver Foxes Power Pilates $19.95  $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 45 Beginner Bone Building Workout $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 41 Begin/Inter Silver Foxes: Power Pilates 2 $19.95  $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 37 Beginner Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness $19.95  $14.95 Specialty videoSeniors 48 Begin/Inter In Sync with Cindy Two $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 102* Beginner Lilias! Discover Gentle Yoga AM & PM Workouts $29.95

July 26, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

Too Much Exercise?

I walk one hour each day and lift weights. Am I pushing myself too much? I'm so desperate to lose weight and with Dr. Phil's book, this is the first time I've ever been serious. Although, I don't eat what he recommends. I've cut down on what I eat and I eat more fruit. So, do you think I'm pushing myself with exercise?

July 26, 2005, 8:55 am CDT

pushing exercise

Quote From: agarrido83

I walk one hour each day and lift weights. Am I pushing myself too much? I'm so desperate to lose weight and with Dr. Phil's book, this is the first time I've ever been serious. Although, I don't eat what he recommends. I've cut down on what I eat and I eat more fruit. So, do you think I'm pushing myself with exercise?

Are you lifting weights every day? You are supposed to wait a day in between lifting weights to allow your muscles some repair time. I use Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover book because it tells what exercises, how many and how long you should exercise for your ability level. There are 3 types of exercises in his program: functional (core body exercises, crunches and stretches) that you do 6 days a week, cardio (depending on your fitness level 30 minutes to an hour) 6 days a week, and weight resistance three times a week.

Your food intake and exercise output have to work together for the best results. You need to make sure you are getting the right amount of protein, grains, dairy, fruits and vegetables that will fuel your body and help it along. What Dr. Phil's food program recommends is a very balanced approach to eating. I really think you will be more satisfied with the results you have if you follow his food plan along with intentional exercise. Bob Greene's book (he was Oprah's trainer) has 5 simple rules of eating which are basice rules to live by.

There is a phenomenon that not eating ENOUGH will hinder your weight loss efforts, so I'd be careful about randomly just cutting back on what you eat.

Walking an hour a day is fantastic! You are way ahead of the game, and I certainly don't think you are pushing yourself too much.

Gail

July 27, 2005, 7:09 am CDT

Thank You for the Advice.

Quote From: trim140

Are you lifting weights every day? You are supposed to wait a day in between lifting weights to allow your muscles some repair time. I use Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover book because it tells what exercises, how many and how long you should exercise for your ability level. There are 3 types of exercises in his program: functional (core body exercises, crunches and stretches) that you do 6 days a week, cardio (depending on your fitness level 30 minutes to an hour) 6 days a week, and weight resistance three times a week.

Your food intake and exercise output have to work together for the best results. You need to make sure you are getting the right amount of protein, grains, dairy, fruits and vegetables that will fuel your body and help it along. What Dr. Phil's food program recommends is a very balanced approach to eating. I really think you will be more satisfied with the results you have if you follow his food plan along with intentional exercise. Bob Greene's book (he was Oprah's trainer) has 5 simple rules of eating which are basice rules to live by.

There is a phenomenon that not eating ENOUGH will hinder your weight loss efforts, so I'd be careful about randomly just cutting back on what you eat.

Walking an hour a day is fantastic! You are way ahead of the game, and I certainly don't think you are pushing yourself too much.

Gail

Thank you for responding. I'm going to look into the books you mentioned. I'll try to pay for attention to my food intake.

July 27, 2005, 8:25 am CDT

Exercise Makes Me Tired!

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me?

I am 24 years old and I generally have fairly low energy levels, and tend to need a lot of sleep to function properly (my ideal is 9 hours a night).  In March, I started reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book, and joined a local gym.  I got a personal trainer, and followed the program she made for me.  I went to the gym 3 times a week faithfully, and did my strength training program and 30 - 45 minutes of cardio every time I went.  After about 3 months, I had to stop going to the gym as I was just too tired all of the time and it didn't seem to be getting any better (actually, it was getting worse).  I was eating properly, getting good amounts of protein and carbs, but was still tired.

So, having heard my story, I was wondering if any of you have any advice/opinions.  Some people have told me that I may have low iron, as I have some of the other symptoms of low iron as well (heart palpitations, slow healing of muscle aches/pains), but my doctor insists that my iron levels are fine (she only did a general blood test though).  Should I get a second opinion, or ask for more tests?  What would you suggest?

Thanks,

~Snaqueb~

July 27, 2005, 11:17 am CDT

to snaqueb

Quote From: snaqueb

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me?

I am 24 years old and I generally have fairly low energy levels, and tend to need a lot of sleep to function properly (my ideal is 9 hours a night).  In March, I started reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book, and joined a local gym.  I got a personal trainer, and followed the program she made for me.  I went to the gym 3 times a week faithfully, and did my strength training program and 30 - 45 minutes of cardio every time I went.  After about 3 months, I had to stop going to the gym as I was just too tired all of the time and it didn't seem to be getting any better (actually, it was getting worse).  I was eating properly, getting good amounts of protein and carbs, but was still tired.

So, having heard my story, I was wondering if any of you have any advice/opinions.  Some people have told me that I may have low iron, as I have some of the other symptoms of low iron as well (heart palpitations, slow healing of muscle aches/pains), but my doctor insists that my iron levels are fine (she only did a general blood test though).  Should I get a second opinion, or ask for more tests?  What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Snaqueb

It doesn't sound like your doctor gave you any answers, and you are too young to be feeling tired like that. I'm 55 and work out with weights 3 times a week, do 45 min of cardio 6 days a week, an hour of yoga once a week, and ab crunches and squats every day. I sleep 6-7 hrs a night, and I have lots of energy throughout the day. If I were you, if you have faith in your doctor, ask her to do more tests until you find out why. If she doesn't seem concerned about it, I'd find a new doctor. You know you are not feeling up to par.

Gail

July 27, 2005, 9:35 pm CDT

I wanna "shed" some weight

I am 16 years old. And I love Dr. Phil, I watch him everyday when I come home from school. He's amazing.

I feel that I have a couple pounds on me, that shouldn't be there. I love to drink pop, and eat perogies, chips, popcorn, pogos, pizza etc. I always eat my fruits and vegetables. I want to go on a diet (as in, I want to ditch, all these greasy, and fattning foods, and eat much healthier) but I dont know how. When I get up to walk to the fridge, I tell myself, eat something healthy, but once I get there, I see the pop, and pour myself a glass, and then I'll see the Doritos or popcorn sitting there, and I grab it, and hit the couch. I dont relaly exercise, I walk around my town (we live in a very small town) sometimes, whenever I go out with friends. But, I want to get a flatter stomach, thinner thighs, and a smaller butt. I dont know how. I always tell myself, tomorrow I'll ditch my habits, but I can never seem too. I dont have money or the time to go to the gym, and I dont know what aerobics are or pilates. What kind of exercises should I do, and what kind of food is HEALTHIER to eat, can anyone please give me advice on how to stick to my goals?!

Melissa. 

July 28, 2005, 8:31 am CDT

Exercise

Quote From: young_one

I am 16 years old. And I love Dr. Phil, I watch him everyday when I come home from school. He's amazing.

I feel that I have a couple pounds on me, that shouldn't be there. I love to drink pop, and eat perogies, chips, popcorn, pogos, pizza etc. I always eat my fruits and vegetables. I want to go on a diet (as in, I want to ditch, all these greasy, and fattning foods, and eat much healthier) but I dont know how. When I get up to walk to the fridge, I tell myself, eat something healthy, but once I get there, I see the pop, and pour myself a glass, and then I'll see the Doritos or popcorn sitting there, and I grab it, and hit the couch. I dont relaly exercise, I walk around my town (we live in a very small town) sometimes, whenever I go out with friends. But, I want to get a flatter stomach, thinner thighs, and a smaller butt. I dont know how. I always tell myself, tomorrow I'll ditch my habits, but I can never seem too. I dont have money or the time to go to the gym, and I dont know what aerobics are or pilates. What kind of exercises should I do, and what kind of food is HEALTHIER to eat, can anyone please give me advice on how to stick to my goals?!

Melissa. 

Melissa, Dr. Phil's son, Jay McGraw, has a book out written specifically for teens, "The Ultimate Weight Solution for Teens". It's basically the same program, but it addresses social situations that teens find themselves in that adults don't usually deal with. I'd suggest you get a copy of that book and read it. Dr Phil's Food Guide is an excellent source in telling you what foods are good for you and which ones are "empty calories". In using the 7 keys he outlines in the book, you communicate with the people close to you that you need their help and support. Create a family activity of cleaning up the environment... dump the unhealthy foods or give it away to a food bank or something. You said you have a "couple pounds on me". Don't go about this adventure as a weight loss program, but one that teaches you how to live a heathy lifestyle. Getting the education about it now is wonderful! I wish I had learned far sooner than I did.

As far as exercise goes, you don't need to join a gym. There is a book, Total Body Makeover by Bob Greene (Oprah's trainer) that has an excellent exercise program outlined for you. He also explains the how and why of the exercises. I will say that saying you don't have the time to go to the gym (or to exercise) is faulty thinking. When something is high enough on your priority list you MAKE the time. Re-work your schedule so you DO have the time. It required me getting up an hour earlier each day to fit it in, which wasn't real pleasant in the beginning. But I found it's a fantastic way to start my day. I hope this info helps somewhat.

Gail

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last