Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 1, 2005, 10:36 am CDT

When You defcide to change so Will everything else.

Quote From: cluekeeper

How do you exercise when everything hurts? Your knees, ankles, back, hips, arms, head and your soul.  Everything hurts. I don't have any real reason to try and lose weight. If I can't stand biking or walking because my knees hurt, how can I possibly climb stairs at work?  If I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror, how can I stand to take a picture of myself as fat as I am?  I am over 300 pounds. I lost 30 pounds last fall but put it back on. I can't afford to buy the "low fat" foods or pay the price the stores want for fish or chicken breast.  

I have a full-time job, my husband works two jobs and mac and cheese is 4 for $1.00 where chicken breast is over $2.00 a pound. Our paychecks go out the door almost as fast as they come in. I'm behind on my house payment, my car payment, my loan payments (both student loans and one private loan for replacing a stove and refrigerator that were dying). I have no credit cards (except old ones that I am paying off to get them off my credit report). I don't have that much debt but getting 20 cent per hour annual pay raises at my job hasn't helped and the better paying jobs just aren't out there. I want to try and get a better job but that means I need to go back to college. I can't even afford the $50 application fee to see if I could get accepted, let alone the tuition and book fees.  

SO, why try and lose weight if you can't afford to eat right? If the money isn't there to buy healthy food, what's the hope in losing weight? Why try and excercise if you still eat the same boring Hamburger Helper, pastas, etc? I can't afford the "good for you" stuff. My budget is tight enough.  I have just about giving up hope.  

I twisted my knee this weekend and my doctor, today, tells me that "It is either a strained ligament or torn miniscus. Let it heal for two weeks and if it still hurts, then we'll get an x-ray and see about doing something. But, you should lose weight. Do you excercise?" "No," I say. "I can't bear to do anything." I might as well die fat and ugly than have to hear some skinny, slim female doctor tell me to do something about my weight but not offer me any hope. I can't walk, ride a bike, or climb stairs. My knees kill me on a bicycle and stairs. Maybe it is my mood, as she suggested, but do you think she offered to help me with that either? Nope. I cried in their bathroom for 5 minutes before I left to go to work. Now, I'm all depressed and sitting here typing on a message board for Dr. Phil. What do you do when your life stinks and your mood smells even worse? 

We all say the same thing.  YOU have to do this for yourself.  Prioritize When you decide to cut up the credit cards, and start eating more veggies and less meat-  You can sit and be fit.. watch exercise programs on TV. Get up earlier- You just have to decide to DO IT.  Rotting is no fun.  

September 9, 2005, 5:18 am CDT

Why does everything hurt?

How do you exercise when everything hurts? Your knees, ankles, back, hips, arms, head and your soul.  Everything hurts. I don't have any real reason to try and lose weight. If I can't stand biking or walking because my knees hurt, how can I possibly climb stairs at work?  If I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror, how can I stand to take a picture of myself as fat as I am?  I am over 300 pounds. I lost 30 pounds last fall but put it back on. I can't afford to buy the "low fat" foods or pay the price the stores want for fish or chicken breast.  

I have a full-time job, my husband works two jobs and mac and cheese is 4 for $1.00 where chicken breast is over $2.00 a pound. Our paychecks go out the door almost as fast as they come in. I'm behind on my house payment, my car payment, my loan payments (both student loans and one private loan for replacing a stove and refrigerator that were dying). I have no credit cards (except old ones that I am paying off to get them off my credit report). I don't have that much debt but getting 20 cent per hour annual pay raises at my job hasn't helped and the better paying jobs just aren't out there. I want to try and get a better job but that means I need to go back to college. I can't even afford the $50 application fee to see if I could get accepted, let alone the tuition and book fees.  

SO, why try and lose weight if you can't afford to eat right? If the money isn't there to buy healthy food, what's the hope in losing weight? Why try and excercise if you still eat the same boring Hamburger Helper, pastas, etc? I can't afford the "good for you" stuff. My budget is tight enough.  I have just about giving up hope.  

I twisted my knee this weekend and my doctor, today, tells me that "It is either a strained ligament or torn miniscus. Let it heal for two weeks and if it still hurts, then we'll get an x-ray and see about doing something. But, you should lose weight. Do you excercise?" "No," I say. "I can't bear to do anything." I might as well die fat and ugly than have to hear some skinny, slim female doctor tell me to do something about my weight but not offer me any hope. I can't walk, ride a bike, or climb stairs. My knees kill me on a bicycle and stairs. Maybe it is my mood, as she suggested, but do you think she offered to help me with that either? Nope. I cried in their bathroom for 5 minutes before I left to go to work. Now, I'm all depressed and sitting here typing on a message board for Dr. Phil. What do you do when your life stinks and your mood smells even worse? 

Most of the pain you are describing (NOTE, I am NOT a doctor.) sounds like it is brought on by the weight in the first place.  If you can get moving and get some of the pounds off, things will improve.  (I know, I know...sounds llike a catch 22.)  The trick in the beginning is to TAKE IT EASY and work your way into exercising more.    

If even walking is too hard, my best advice is to get yourself into a pool.  I am not talking about swimming laps.  I am talking about exercising in the water.  The bouyancy the water provides cushions and eases the strain of gravity on your joints and muscles.  Public pools don't cost too much, if you can find one in your area.  

Another idea is sinply to move as much as you can.  I am not talking about doing high impact aerobics.  Do not lay down if you can sit up, do not sit if you can stand, and do not stand still if you can move.  No one is going to advise someone in your situation to start jumping around like Richard Simmons, but only doing what you are already doing will only get you what you are already getting.  

As to the food cost issue...I fully understand.  I am trying to feed a family of 5 at a salary that is right at the poverty level, too little to buy much but too much for food stamps.  You sited Mac and Cheese and meat.  I know mac and cheese is cheap and meat can be expensive.  I am not going to tell you to buy the "low fat" gimmick foods.  You won't like them, you'll see the cost as a waste and go back to old habits.  But what about what else you eat?  Are you buying soda?  cookies?  Doritos?  Junk food is EXPENSIVE!  Go to the produce aisle instead of the snack aisle.  Even if you are still eating the mac and cheese, if you can change one or two things for the healthier, you will be better off.  

Your main question seemed to be why should I even try to lose weight?  Well, the benefits are clear.  Yes, it isn't going to be easy, but it is worth it.  Being overweight is a killer.  I am not being melodramatic.  Being overweight can KILL you.  It is already making your life miserable, we can tell by your post.  It will only continue to do so as time goes on.  Your knees are not going to get better by themselves.  You aren't ever going to feel better looking in the mirror.  It isn't going to get any easier to breathe.  You could end up in a wheelchair, Type 2 diabetes can make you GO BLIND.  You will almost certainly have respiratory and cardiac problems.  The health problems will go away...when you die, which will almost certainly be sooner rather than later at over 300 pounds. There are a lot of fat people and there are a lot of old people, but there not a lot of fat, old people.  

I am not trying to come down hard on you.  I know how hard it is.  But if you have a reason to live, and everyone does, whether they see it or not, then you have a reason to live healthy.  It isn't easy, but it isn't impossible.  

September 14, 2005, 3:11 pm CDT

I Hurt Too

Well, this is my first post to this site and hopefully it may give another person some support.  I know what it is like to hurt.  Five years ago I was diagnosed with SLE, Systemic Lupus.  This is the disease that took my fathers life.  It is an autoimmune disease and all that means is that my immune system turns on to fight a bug and then won't turn off and attacks healthy cells.  My joints are mainly under attack, along with my digestion.  Funny part, when I hurt really bad I eat, but that is another story itself. 

What I want to say though, you have to take care of you.  If it hurts to walk, go to pool.  I have found that water aerobics helps greatly with pain.  Because pain wears you out.  You have to fight back and say, I will not let this take my life from me.  If you can't find a pool, then just do basic weight lifting.  The more you do it the more your body gets used to it and the more you can do.  But, you can't always depend on the excuses you find, you have to develop self control, you have to control yourself, not others.  Am I saying i got this all whipped, no not at all.  But, I am saying that once you take control of you, you can change you.  I hope that this give some encouragement, just knowing your not the only one who hurts should help.  Because we are all here to helps and encourage each other. 

September 14, 2005, 4:28 pm CDT

Loosing Weight

Has anyone tried loosing weight? But those few extra pounds wont come off? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get those few extra pounds off? 

September 15, 2005, 7:21 am CDT

Exercise

Quote From: young_one

I am 16 years old. And I love Dr. Phil, I watch him everyday when I come home from school. He's amazing.

I feel that I have a couple pounds on me, that shouldn't be there. I love to drink pop, and eat perogies, chips, popcorn, pogos, pizza etc. I always eat my fruits and vegetables. I want to go on a diet (as in, I want to ditch, all these greasy, and fattning foods, and eat much healthier) but I dont know how. When I get up to walk to the fridge, I tell myself, eat something healthy, but once I get there, I see the pop, and pour myself a glass, and then I'll see the Doritos or popcorn sitting there, and I grab it, and hit the couch. I dont relaly exercise, I walk around my town (we live in a very small town) sometimes, whenever I go out with friends. But, I want to get a flatter stomach, thinner thighs, and a smaller butt. I dont know how. I always tell myself, tomorrow I'll ditch my habits, but I can never seem too. I dont have money or the time to go to the gym, and I dont know what aerobics are or pilates. What kind of exercises should I do, and what kind of food is HEALTHIER to eat, can anyone please give me advice on how to stick to my goals?!

Melissa. 

Hey Melissa, 

First, you have to start by cleaning out your kitchen.  If it is not there, you won't eat or drink it.  About 3 years ago, my family and I used to consume about 2-3 sodas a day.  My daughter got on the swim team at High school and she advised me to stop buying the coke products.  So I stopped buying any kind of soda.  We only drink soda when there is nothing else to drink when we go out to a restaurant.  While at home, we only drink tea (decaffinated) or water.  That will help you loose some weight right away.  With the Doritos or popcorn, limit yourself.  Get a bowl or cup and give yourself just a little to satisfy your craving.  Once the bags are empty, DON'T BUY ANYMORE !!!!!  I hope you have success with triming down.  I have about 40-50 pounds to loose.  So I know where you are coming from.  Good Luck and God Bless. . .  

Susan 

September 27, 2005, 6:42 am CDT

need help

Hi I am about to turn twenty in the next few weeksi have gained quite of bit of weight with the past few months or from this time last year i know that i do not eat right how many college students do eat right while in school.  Ok last time i check i am little above 200 lbs. I know i can be able tolose weight my biggest problem lack of exercise my college has a gym. but i do not know what to do and how long to do exercises and i stop using the gym becuase i do not have anyone to share the expeirience. does anyone know if there is a way where  i can get my self the pride to use the gym. 

September 28, 2005, 6:55 am CDT

Exercise

Sounds like you have alot of things going on and maybe a little depressed?  Hang in there.  I have thought the same thing about "How am I supposed to afford this??"  It sounds like you and your husband are really working hard, but just not able to get ahead.  Do you do a formal budget?  We started listening to Dave Ramsey a few months ago and his simple info on how to do a budget really helped.  Now we have a grocery budget and it makes me feel more powerful w/ money.  It might be worth trying. 

As the others mentioned, try to cut out expensive non-nutritional food (snacks, pop, etc)  We have started buying all generic items.  We also cook more instead of buying prepackaged foods.  If you can't buy all "low-fat"  try to buy some fresh fruit and veggies. Take small steps and you can succeed.  Walk 5 minutes if that is all you can do.  I really feel for you.  It sounds like you are really "low" and I have been there.  Don't give up hope. 

Email me if you need a buddy 

jklivin@wideopenwest.com 

Good Luck 

Donita 

September 29, 2005, 6:16 pm CDT

Good for you!

Quote From: mettie1

Hi I am about to turn twenty in the next few weeksi have gained quite of bit of weight with the past few months or from this time last year i know that i do not eat right how many college students do eat right while in school.  Ok last time i check i am little above 200 lbs. I know i can be able tolose weight my biggest problem lack of exercise my college has a gym. but i do not know what to do and how long to do exercises and i stop using the gym becuase i do not have anyone to share the expeirience. does anyone know if there is a way where  i can get my self the pride to use the gym. 

You are to be commended on wanting to get to the gym. It can be intimidating, I know. Is there anybody that works in there, towel providers or maintenance? Usually there's people there that will show you how to use the equipment. I know its very hard to ask a muscle bound svelt person, but they didn't always look that way. Lots of times they are more than eager to help someone out because they've been where you are!  Or, if that's still difficult, maybe you know someone who would go with you a couple of times, just till you get the hang of it.
You might want to see if there is a WLC group in your area too, there's power in numbers. Good luck!

October 2, 2005, 7:23 am CDT

cost of the plan

I just wanted to say that when I started following the Dr. Phil plan, I was worried about the cost of groceries going up. I'm a single mom, and can't afford to blow over $100 every week just to eat "healthy". But what I soon discovered is that I actually spend less on groceries now. I just didn't realize how much money I spent on JUNK! I still buy my sodas (diet), but drink less of them. Also, when I do buy something, it lasts longer because of the portion control. Another thing, excess carbohydrates were making me feel horrible (I have PCOS), now that I've followed his plan for a month (first 2 weeks were shaky, last 2 weeks much better) I am feeling better and with more energy.  

So to the lady in pain, think about the things you CAN do to help yourself. Portion control doesn't cost anything. You might find some extra money in your budget if you consider foods that aren't good for you. If you can't afford chicken, maybe beans? I can't remember how often he recommends you eat beans/lentils, but at least that would be a good protein once a week? Small steps, you CAN do it. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. 

Cheryl 

October 2, 2005, 11:32 am CDT

I just wanted to add...

Quote From: dmetria

I just wanted to say that when I started following the Dr. Phil plan, I was worried about the cost of groceries going up. I'm a single mom, and can't afford to blow over $100 every week just to eat "healthy". But what I soon discovered is that I actually spend less on groceries now. I just didn't realize how much money I spent on JUNK! I still buy my sodas (diet), but drink less of them. Also, when I do buy something, it lasts longer because of the portion control. Another thing, excess carbohydrates were making me feel horrible (I have PCOS), now that I've followed his plan for a month (first 2 weeks were shaky, last 2 weeks much better) I am feeling better and with more energy.  

So to the lady in pain, think about the things you CAN do to help yourself. Portion control doesn't cost anything. You might find some extra money in your budget if you consider foods that aren't good for you. If you can't afford chicken, maybe beans? I can't remember how often he recommends you eat beans/lentils, but at least that would be a good protein once a week? Small steps, you CAN do it. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. 

Cheryl 

About the "cost" of eating healthier, there's also the consideration of the drugs you won't need to buy. When I began eating better, I had no need of a whole list of over-the-counter drugs I kept stocks of before. Here's a hint, you know that commercial that shows all the women with messages on their stomachs like "gas" and "constipation"? I'm here to tell you, a change in the amount of sugars and carbs takes care of all of those and doesn't cost a thing. I also stopped getting headaches unless I was coming down with the flu.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last