Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 7, 2005, 10:05 pm CDT

Exercise

Quote From: cluekeeper

How do you exercise when everything hurts? Your knees, ankles, back, hips, arms, head and your soul.  Everything hurts. I don't have any real reason to try and lose weight. If I can't stand biking or walking because my knees hurt, how can I possibly climb stairs at work?  If I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror, how can I stand to take a picture of myself as fat as I am?  I am over 300 pounds. I lost 30 pounds last fall but put it back on. I can't afford to buy the "low fat" foods or pay the price the stores want for fish or chicken breast.  

I have a full-time job, my husband works two jobs and mac and cheese is 4 for $1.00 where chicken breast is over $2.00 a pound. Our paychecks go out the door almost as fast as they come in. I'm behind on my house payment, my car payment, my loan payments (both student loans and one private loan for replacing a stove and refrigerator that were dying). I have no credit cards (except old ones that I am paying off to get them off my credit report). I don't have that much debt but getting 20 cent per hour annual pay raises at my job hasn't helped and the better paying jobs just aren't out there. I want to try and get a better job but that means I need to go back to college. I can't even afford the $50 application fee to see if I could get accepted, let alone the tuition and book fees.  

SO, why try and lose weight if you can't afford to eat right? If the money isn't there to buy healthy food, what's the hope in losing weight? Why try and excercise if you still eat the same boring Hamburger Helper, pastas, etc? I can't afford the "good for you" stuff. My budget is tight enough.  I have just about giving up hope.  

I twisted my knee this weekend and my doctor, today, tells me that "It is either a strained ligament or torn miniscus. Let it heal for two weeks and if it still hurts, then we'll get an x-ray and see about doing something. But, you should lose weight. Do you excercise?" "No," I say. "I can't bear to do anything." I might as well die fat and ugly than have to hear some skinny, slim female doctor tell me to do something about my weight but not offer me any hope. I can't walk, ride a bike, or climb stairs. My knees kill me on a bicycle and stairs. Maybe it is my mood, as she suggested, but do you think she offered to help me with that either? Nope. I cried in their bathroom for 5 minutes before I left to go to work. Now, I'm all depressed and sitting here typing on a message board for Dr. Phil. What do you do when your life stinks and your mood smells even worse? 

I had to reply to your message, because just a month ago I was in your exact same shape. I wasn't in as much pain as you , but I had no energy, exercising hurt, and I could not afford the healthy food. The 4 for $1 mac and cheese was on my plate every night.lol I have two children and realized it was time to get help. I filed for foodstamps, and I now have enough to buy my healthy foods and all the treats that they love. I felt bad for filing, but I work my butt off, as I am sure you do. Every one needs a little help, and if getting help saves your life,, please do it!!! 

I have been on my diet for a little over two weeks and can now do and hour of exercise a day. 

You can do exercices while sitting, look up in google.com "wheelchair exercises" any little bit helps. 

There is hope, you just have to find it!!  

October 13, 2005, 4:54 pm CDT

I finally made it to the gym today!!!

I signed up for an exercise class a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't make the 1st week because my kitten was being fixed.   Then Tuesday, I had a family emergency.   Finally made it today and I did so well!! 

I can't believe how healthy I truly have become!!!   We did free weights and I was able to stay with the class except when my leg started to cramp and I simply bent my legs and then continued! 

Each class is different!!  I have a meeting with the personal trainer on Tuesday where I'm going to work out different routines on the machines.   Like today, we did free weights and I didn't stay to do the machines.   2 hours is way to long for that.  I want to do different!  I want to develop a couple of different routines for me to do. 

I'm still surprised at how well I'm doing with exercise.   I was such a mess before!  Now, I'm able to stick with an hour long class and walk away without having to take IBUPROFEN to help my muscles. In fact, this was the first time I found myself HUNGRY after the class was over. Usually, I'm not hungry for hours later! 

October 14, 2005, 10:27 am CDT

125 ibls?

Quote From: young_one

Hello, again. I'm definately going to get those two books. I'll get my mom to pick them up for me, because she's going to the mall in 2 days. About the gym, I kind of dont have a lot of time to go. I go to school during the week, and on weekends, I volunteer at the SPCA, (the humane society), and I dont have money, to keep busing back and fourth, and I would like to buy a membership to go there, but, it costs like $60. I dont have that. I REALLY need to get rid of my junk food. Lately, I've been telling my mom, everytime she goes grocery shopping, I tell her, can you please get me a lot of fruits (mangos, kiwis, strawberrys, plums, peaches, grapes etc.), cause I REALLY LOVE fruits and veggies, everytime I open the fridge, there will be orange juice, milk, water, and pop in there, and what I go for is the pop, my dad told me to cut it down, but I just can't. Its like bitting my nails, I cant help it. It drives me insane, I know I need to stop but I can't. I really appreciate you, taking the time, to type all this out, to try and help me. I'll definately get those books. Usually, when I get bored, I eat a lot!! Anything. I'll eat it. Even when I'm full, I'll still crave something, so I'll go and eat it. I will definately try really hard, to kick my bad habits, and I will definately keep you updated. I now, way 125, and I will try and work out my problem. And, I will let you know how I am doing.

I think you are doing really well and to give up soda for one so young is really hard I know, but am I reading right that you weight125 lbs?  Unless you are just 5 feet tall or shorter that is in no way overweight for a 16 year old girl!  If you want to look "thinner" no amount of dieting is going to get you there you are going to have to exercise and tone.  If you keep it up you are going to wind up looking emaciated and have an eating disorder and you will probably still have the pot belly or butt!  You are on the right track.  Cut out the junk food, but please, please, please, think about a good exercise plan instead of just "dieting".  It could be as simple as crunches, situps, lunges (for the butt) and pushups everyday or just walking for an hour! 

October 14, 2005, 4:10 pm CDT

I'm so proud of me today!

Quote From: marcia52

I signed up for an exercise class a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't make the 1st week because my kitten was being fixed.   Then Tuesday, I had a family emergency.   Finally made it today and I did so well!! 

I can't believe how healthy I truly have become!!!   We did free weights and I was able to stay with the class except when my leg started to cramp and I simply bent my legs and then continued! 

Each class is different!!  I have a meeting with the personal trainer on Tuesday where I'm going to work out different routines on the machines.   Like today, we did free weights and I didn't stay to do the machines.   2 hours is way to long for that.  I want to do different!  I want to develop a couple of different routines for me to do. 

I'm still surprised at how well I'm doing with exercise.   I was such a mess before!  Now, I'm able to stick with an hour long class and walk away without having to take IBUPROFEN to help my muscles. In fact, this was the first time I found myself HUNGRY after the class was over. Usually, I'm not hungry for hours later! 

This morning when I woke up I was hit with a WHAMMY!  My thighs were killing me!  I had worked muscles yesterday that I never even knew existed!  I've been walking around all day on stiff legs.   Sitting or worse, coming down a flight of stairs is a real killer for me!   

And yet at the same time, I'm walking around so proud of me.  I can not believe I did the entire class with only a slight redness in my face -- I don't sweat so one big fear for me is passing out from being overheated.   The 3 men in my class had sweat coming off their bodies - so I knew I had held my own.   

I'm doing so much better this evening and will do so much better tomorrow.  I really can't believe that I have made it this far with exercise.   It's been slow for me and at times like this, I see my healthy self becoming my true life style and not sitting on a couch! 

October 14, 2005, 7:29 pm CDT

I totally understand.

How do you exercise when everything hurts? Your knees, ankles, back, hips, arms, head and your soul.  Everything hurts. I don't have any real reason to try and lose weight. If I can't stand biking or walking because my knees hurt, how can I possibly climb stairs at work?  If I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror, how can I stand to take a picture of myself as fat as I am?  I am over 300 pounds. I lost 30 pounds last fall but put it back on. I can't afford to buy the "low fat" foods or pay the price the stores want for fish or chicken breast.  

I have a full-time job, my husband works two jobs and mac and cheese is 4 for $1.00 where chicken breast is over $2.00 a pound. Our paychecks go out the door almost as fast as they come in. I'm behind on my house payment, my car payment, my loan payments (both student loans and one private loan for replacing a stove and refrigerator that were dying). I have no credit cards (except old ones that I am paying off to get them off my credit report). I don't have that much debt but getting 20 cent per hour annual pay raises at my job hasn't helped and the better paying jobs just aren't out there. I want to try and get a better job but that means I need to go back to college. I can't even afford the $50 application fee to see if I could get accepted, let alone the tuition and book fees.  

SO, why try and lose weight if you can't afford to eat right? If the money isn't there to buy healthy food, what's the hope in losing weight? Why try and excercise if you still eat the same boring Hamburger Helper, pastas, etc? I can't afford the "good for you" stuff. My budget is tight enough.  I have just about giving up hope.  

I twisted my knee this weekend and my doctor, today, tells me that "It is either a strained ligament or torn miniscus. Let it heal for two weeks and if it still hurts, then we'll get an x-ray and see about doing something. But, you should lose weight. Do you excercise?" "No," I say. "I can't bear to do anything." I might as well die fat and ugly than have to hear some skinny, slim female doctor tell me to do something about my weight but not offer me any hope. I can't walk, ride a bike, or climb stairs. My knees kill me on a bicycle and stairs. Maybe it is my mood, as she suggested, but do you think she offered to help me with that either? Nope. I cried in their bathroom for 5 minutes before I left to go to work. Now, I'm all depressed and sitting here typing on a message board for Dr. Phil. What do you do when your life stinks and your mood smells even worse? 

Here is an idea, have you seen the way the elderly exercise, start that way. 

The media keeps wondering why Americans are fat/obese. Fast food and junk food are dirt cheap and highly convenient (drive-thrus, delivery, barely any preparation or spoilage). Also, many (affordable to many) neighborhoods are not conducive to the free exercise of walking or biking.  

No sidewalks, traffic dangers, crime, loose dogs, loose people, and just plain borrrrring to walk through (no natural trails or tree-lined sidewalks near the water).  The rich have no excuse to be fat (maybe if they worked 60 to 80 hours a week), they can afford neighborhoods that include scenic pathways or homes with large enough estate to create their own private nature trails and allow their dogs to run free next to them. Soooo, jealous, I mean envious. 

October 21, 2005, 10:57 am CDT

When it hurts to move

I have fibromyalgia and Reiter's Syndrome.  I know a bit about pain.  It hurts to move and it hurts not to move.  But the more I move, the less I hurt.  I have to be creative with my diet, because certain foods that work well for helping me lose weight aggravate my pain.  Being poor, I also know about the "junk food is cheaper" problem in our society.  Depression, stress and anxiety are factors in weight gain, so I'm working on eliminating those things, but it's a challenge to avoid stress when you are broke enough that you have to decide on whether to buy food this week, or gas for the car to get to job interviews.   

I walk.  I walk three miles every day.  I started out walking about a half mile, and if I miss a few days of walking, when I start up again, I can only manage about a mile and a half, but it takes less time to get back to three miles.  I try to get those three miles done in an hour or less. 

Nevertheless, I gained 15 pounds since I started walking and eating better.  Some fool said, "Oh, but you're gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat."  I'm sorry.  Muscle doesn't hang over your belt buckle.  I had a heck of a lot more muscle when I was 30 pounds lighter than I do now.  But lately, my metabolism has started increasing.  I can tell.  I'm hungry ALL the time.  By the time I finish one meal, I'm so hungry I can't wait for the next meal.  That will change, too, eventually.  I don't cave in to the hunger, I just tell it to stuff itself and I go for a walk.  Last week, I lost two pounds.  After dealing with all the frustration, those two pounds were a godsend.  I managed to get out of debt, too, so even though I'm still poor, at least I'm not in debt (well, except to my brother who loaned me the cash to pay the lawyer!  LOL).  Another weight off my shoulders.  Amazing how much weight you carry there.  I had thought most of it was in my butt. 

There is an advantage to having a chronic pain condition and being fairly fit.  I know I'm not actually injuring myself.  It's ONLY pain.  It's pain for the sake of pain, not pain because some part of me is torn or bruised or otherwise damaged.  I can move because the pain is there whether I move or not, so I might as well move.  Since I've been in pain for over 20 years, and it's only been the last few years that it's been bad enough to slow me down, I'm much more hopeful and accepting than I was when it first hit me.  I may eventually be free of the pain and not have to do battle with it anymore.  Then there will be no stopping me. 

October 22, 2005, 12:58 pm CDT

Exercise

Reading your email I noticed you said you've just about given up hope, might as well die fat and ugly, cried in the bathroom for 5 minutes before work, sitting there depressed while typing, your life stinks, your mood smells even worse, etc. I am just a layperson, ie. not Dr. Phil, but sounds like you might be suffering from some depression to me. I would ask your doctor for an antidepressant, you probably won't have to be using it for very long but at least until you feel more normal and feel better about your situation and life, and once you've been using one for a while I bet you will feel more like exercising, dieting, going back to school, and doing other things that are more positive and improving your life. Also tell them about your weight concerns as some cause weight gain as a side effect and some do not! Please post back so we know you are OK! Thanks! 

Karen 

October 23, 2005, 6:31 am CDT

What's the minimum I can exercise?

Hi, I'm in my mid 30s and I used to exercise (weights) 3X/week. Then I cut back to 2X/week, now I am exercising (with weights) 1X/week.  The reason being is that for one, I got married and my schedule is jammed packed with school and work. I seriously had to cut-back on something to better balance my life out!  I also figured that my work-out only lasts for 1 day anyways, so I didn't really see the relevance of working out 3x/week. I have a nice upright bike on lay-a-way that I am about to get out and I can't wait!  I figured that I could still exercise with weights 1x/week and then use my bike at home to do intense cardio training (you can adjust your resistence with this bike) to supplement my weight work-out.  I have also been focusing on eating a lot more healthy and I have lost some weight. I still want to lose 10 more pounds. So...what I'm trying to say is that I think it is better to eat healthy and lose weight and get my body in a very good BMI state and do a good cardio work-out at home 2-3x/week (for 15-60 minutes) AND weight-train only once a week at the gym then it is to eat anything I want and work out with weights 3x/week.  Any thoughts would be appreciate?! Thank you.

October 23, 2005, 10:30 pm CDT

Any Tips For Quick Exercises??????!!!

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for some quick exercises. I am a new mommy of a 6 month old and I have a 3 year old as well. I am also in Medical school at nights and I always seem to be the go all day everyday. I've decided to get up an hour earlier every moring to have some "me" time and fit in a workout routine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have purchased some free weights (2 pounds to start) and a Tae Bo DVD. Since I am in the same boat as a lot of people with the struggling economy the way it is, it is very hard for me to afford "Healthy" foods. But I figure I can cut back my portions and start eating off my toddler's size plates and adding snacks in between (an average of balanced calories) every 3 hours. I've read that it helpes to eat every three hours to boost your metabolisim......is this true? Well, any input would be very helpful! 

Jamie 

November 2, 2005, 1:51 pm CST

Inspiration?

Quote From: kmart35

Reading your email I noticed you said you've just about given up hope, might as well die fat and ugly, cried in the bathroom for 5 minutes before work, sitting there depressed while typing, your life stinks, your mood smells even worse, etc. I am just a layperson, ie. not Dr. Phil, but sounds like you might be suffering from some depression to me. I would ask your doctor for an antidepressant, you probably won't have to be using it for very long but at least until you feel more normal and feel better about your situation and life, and once you've been using one for a while I bet you will feel more like exercising, dieting, going back to school, and doing other things that are more positive and improving your life. Also tell them about your weight concerns as some cause weight gain as a side effect and some do not! Please post back so we know you are OK! Thanks! 

Karen 

Hi there Cluekeeper 

I'm a 31yr old female that has also given up on trying to live healthy via health foods. I live in South African and believe me it's not any easier or cheaper buy "healthy" foods here either. You are constantly being lied to about everything. We have a SABS here which is supposed to control this, but it ain't working. You buy "low fat" foods shich aren't low fat at all.  

Please don't give up hope. Think about the leprechauns pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Eat normal foods but cook them healthier. For example, instead of frying the meat - grill it.  

I'm not a skinny person. For my build (lenght) I'm 30 kilograms overweight - and that's according to my very own skinny (and might I add, very beautiful) female doctor. 

If you feel like "talking" to someone about how you feel the day, you can email me and we can "chat. I'm not always online but do get around to emails at night. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last