Message Boards

Topic : 07/12 A Predator in the House?

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 06, 2006, 07:05:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The FBI estimates that there is one child molester per square mile in the United States. Could that predator be in your home?  Could it be your husband, your father, or your trusted friend? Kitty considers reconciling with her ex-husband, James, but worries that he may have inappropriately touched his 15-year-old daughter. James says he’s just showing love and affection toward his child, but Kitty is making him look like a pervert. Is Kitty overreacting, or is James crossing the line? Then, Trista’s ex-boyfriend, Aaron, has been accused of molestation by her 5-year-old female cousin. Aaron says he is completely innocent and will do anything to prove it. Trista has trouble believing him, and refuses to reconcile until she knows the truth. Plus, Elizabeth says her husband of nearly 20 years destroyed a once normal life when he used their 8-year-old daughter, Emily, as bait to molest her young male friends. Now that he’s in prison, Elizabeth is faced with challenging questions from her daughter. Is your child being groomed by a pedophile? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 8, 2006, 8:44 pm CDT

Don't take chances with children !

I have a granddaughter that is 18 now , but has not lived with her mom & stepdad  

since she was about 8 years old .  Why ? because he ran around in front of her naked.   

Her mom didn't believe her , but I did believe her & I knew that was just the beginning  

of what would come later when she got used to seeing him naked.   

She still will not as much as speak to her stepdad & hates him for how he acted  

in front of her while her mom was at work .   

Never think if there is no background of this means they are ok , this man was about  

40 years old at the time & no back records of his actions. Still no records because  

no one charged him with his actions. My granddaughter didn't stay there long enough  

for him to get to the next adventures with her.   

It is sad that kids must go thru stuff like this but it happens in the best of families.  

I know because I had a few molesters dealing with me as a child .  

I understand some could be lied about if the child is a trouble maker & wanting  

to cause trouble . But no matter what always check it out & be sure before  

dismissing a accused of child molesting .  It stays with them the rest of their life.  

The woman that wonders if her husband is sleeping with her daughter ,  

sleep with her yourself & find out ,  if he gets mad because your in her   

bed find out why !!! Let him know what you think & get it all out on the  

table.  Little kids are afraid to tell on them unless they know they don't have   

to face them again . They must trust the person they tell or they won't tell!!!  

So don't lie to her to get her to talk , and then not believe her !!!  

I would be sleeping with her every night until I got him out of the house if it   

was my daughter !!  

We sure live in a sad world & it is getting worse every day .  

Betty  

July 9, 2006, 12:12 am CDT

You're really kidding, right?

Quote From: cmolinger

There is a program RSA (Redirecting Sexual Agressiveness) that is offered to some cases that seem to have the potential for being productive, non-threatening citizens.  They are very strict and have a successful program.  I personally know a man who went to prison for exposing himself to children of both sexes and for fondling female children.  He is one of the most spiritual, kindest, intelligent, most sensitive people I have ever met.  He knows he has this addiction and follows strictly the principles he was taught in RSA.  He had determined never to have children or be around them and never allows himself to have destructive thoughts.  He's looking for a woman with whom he can share his life, and I think she'll be lucky to have him.   

I'd be curious to know if anyone else knows a former abuser who has become a blessing to society.  They're not all the same.  Every case is different, and we shouldn't be automatically afraid or disdainful of someone we discover in our neighborhood.  You really have to know exactly what the person has done. 

This person sounds like a "remake" of the New Year's Resolution!  If what he/she says is true, do you think it reasonable to believe that this very strict regimen you describe can continue for an entire lifetime --- without a single interruption?  And if he has determined to never have destructive thoughts (although totally unprovable), he could make a fortune marketing it for profit since it works so well!  

Calling yourself  "religious," if you are a child molestor, has even been shown on NBC's Wednesday's "Predators" weekly TV evening broadcast to be a popular way pedophiles use to describe themselves in order to deflect suspicion!  Becoming "religious" can be a convincingly huge "cover" if a molestor needs one after being convicted!  Gosh, a permanent reprieve from all pedophilic temptation from God!  What is better than that - and not unprovable by any concrete earthly means!  

My father was a molestor. He attended church and was a "death to gays and pedophiles" pillar of the community and national music education field.  He was a teacher. He was a controller. He was smart (I belong to Mensa). He was very well-educated, and although his advanced degrees were in music, every shelf on his bookcases was covered with psychology books and magazines that he used to reinforce his "cover."  His molestation did not end with his daughers - they also involved other children and some of his grandchildren.   

One of the ways pedophiles use to throw adults off their trails is to point fingers at others. "You are JUST LIKE ME --- against those MONSTER molestors!" --- and statements like, "My actions are now driven JUST LIKE YOURS - by God." --- and would you disavow your own purity, which was said to be the same as the speaker's, in order to question the "former pedophile's" statement that you were also Godly?  

My Master's degree is what used to be called "social psychology"  or "why people do what they do."  Are you so well groomed by this person and duped through "religion" that you believe everything you hear "in the name of God"?  Would you risk a child's physical well being and emotional safety because of this person's "NEW religious beliefs"?  In my area of study, it is well known that beliefs are the hardest --- if not impossible --- things to change.  If I told you I no longer had blue eyes because I had had a "religious rebirth" and rigorously followed the 12 Rules of Blinking,  would you check out the color of my eyes anyway?  I surely hope so!     

Please remember that "private images" are much different than "public images." I'll bet (if you admit it) that you know where public images are seen, groomed and cultivated, and I'll bet you also know where your private image appears!  And in church, if someone knows that he/she is to give a  "public confession" to a priest, rabbi or congregation,  you might guess that it will be groomed a bit at home (in private) before it gets to church in public!  

If you believe this supposed "new "blessing to society" from his words, then I'll bet you don't believe in listening to your first "gut feeling" that many researchers think was physically designed to help keep you from harm's way.  If you try to rationalize that you are now an "enlightened, God-loving, rational-thnking adult who does his/her OWN thinking," and you believe that religion can change anyone every time, you will also probably ignore the intuition with which you were born.  

"Because the "Book" says..." does not mean that anyone abides by ANY book from cover to cover! And saying so doesn't MAKE it so!  Retelling a lie doesn't change it to "truth" --- no matter how many times you retell it!  You can put any person in your best prayers, but know that people still "own" free will and that is why we still have prisons; murders; rapes and child molestation can and do still occur.  

Remember that anyone can say anything --- and it doesn't necesarily matter if it's true or not,  it only matters if it WORKS or not --- and especially if it helps keep a child molestor from going to prison again! That would be a HUGE motivation to lie!   

Programs may appear viable on paper and their espoused "positive results" may help keep someone out of the "hot seat" for a while, but these "SOME cases that seem to have the POTENTIAL for being productive" will NOT cut it with me because I've lived with those ideas NOT working before in person --- as a child and an adult.  

If the person you describe is responsible enough not to do this again, then he should have been responsible enough not to do these kinds of things in the first place. What is his motivation to now be "accountable"?  Because he needs a wife for "respectable" cover???? 

July 9, 2006, 5:49 am CDT

Child Molesters & Courts

Quote From: hardtruth

I have written several messages trying to get this problem out in the open. I have been fighting with the courts for two and a half years about my children. My ex-husband began to "groom" my daughter and was laying naked next to her. All the therapist agreed that he was trying to molest her. I had all the evidence presented to the court. They would not re-open a case he had in the late eighties for molesting what I found out to be a two year old! They told me it was inadmissible. He admitted to everything and the court still let him have visitation rights with his Mother as the supervisor! What is wrong with our court system? They are letting our children get hurt when all we want to do is protect them! Why are they allowed more rights than our children. Where does it say it is in the best interest of the child to get molested, because that is what the courts are telling me. It is in their best interest to visit their father. They even had us do a psychological test that proved he had tendencies to be a pedophile and/or a serial killer. AND THEY WANT MY KIDS TO GO BACK THERE? The bailiff rolled her eyes at me when I stated what he did. Where is the justice. I have written DR. Phil a message about this. I really would like to see what he has to say, and maybe give us mothers some advice on how, emotionally, we are to handle this? I have spent over $15,000 trying to keep my kids away from him, but it has not worked yet, and I will never stop trying. 

If anyone has any advise, please let me know too. I am running out of options and my kids are running out of time. 

Erin M. 

I too had a battle with the courts, I took my daughter to counseling, something was scaring her to death, nightmares, her father entering our home, murdering me, blood all over the walls, that was her dreams,  the dreams of my baby age of about age 8 or so!! Terror in her eyes, the telephone calls from his house, I would go to pick her up after her sobbing cry, I was told to get the F** out of his yard! I told him I am picking her up and I am not leaving until I do!! She would come out of the house, moments after her SOBBING telephone call, her father would ask; Where is my HUG?? she would go to him, no tears, then out of sight, she began sobbing and crying!! During a scheduled visit, a relative of mine answered the door, as I had offered her a place to stay, she babysat while I worked, my young daughter, she stated ran to a room! crying, she told her father that she was not home!! He was furious, I found out this info after getting home from work,  to find her hidden in the back of my closet!! just crying, sobbing!! We went to court, no help! her counselor testified she is terrified of her father, then the courts ordered joint counseling for her and her "father"! As though the abuse would have been discussed! She was scared to death that her Mother would be killed if she told!! The courts did nothing, the truth came when she finally tried to take her own life at age 15, her sister was over 21, but the child that was under age, testified to flash back memories, the 21 year old never forgot! but she did not tell me either!! But that was about 2 weeks before the laws changed allowing persons over the age of 21 to testify, this was not bound over to Circuit court! But, as I was finally aware of exactly how horrible my babies lives had been, the legal system, in my case did nothing! Then the  father brought charges against the youngest child, as her father showed up at her work place and she applied for a no contact order; still the courts allowed him to be free, suggested to leave her alone, but did not issue a no contact order! she lived and worked in places he would never be! Then, her father filed a lawsuit to obtain money for his legal fees, brought on due to the no contact order, finally I thought, since this was now in a different court, a no contact order would be issued, he would be arrested etc...! the laws had allowed my oldest daughter to testify etc... This Judge stated; I have no doubt that he did this to my girls, and he was never to be any place they were, if so? then a no contact order would be issued, no he did not win his battle for the $$, and again the Circuit Courts did not have him arrested!! Now my girls, my only children, consider him a sperm donor, but the courts, need a wake up, perhaps with Dateline programs, with the "To catch a predator" series, may improve, our babies are at risk from their own father's! Mother's working and most often the person who is doing the molestation is the very person thought to be the person that should have been protecting them, be careful to whom you marry, mine was a liar, did not work, (the old back injury) filed lawsuits to at least 3 employers so far I have heard, and is now beginning another for ??injury at work!! Those are the very people that get away with all this, they are good at waiting for the right moment in time, to assault the very smallest children, take advantage of loving caring woman, and then begin the cycle of abuse! We who trust and ignore our inner gut feelings, never thinking it could actually be the father of your girls who have done so much damage! Good Luck with Courts, but counseling is your best option, be sure to only release verbal testimony and then the counselor may speak during the questioning, even to the fear of the child, do not release written records, as that could have major problems for the child if the courts; once again, do not believe the child! Especially when the children that have been so abused, but are able to grow up and are NOT involved in drugs and alcohol! Thank You Lord!

July 9, 2006, 7:16 am CDT

it happened to me

Quote From: amazing_me

This person sounds like a "remake" of the New Year's Resolution!  If what he/she says is true, do you think it reasonable to believe that this very strict regimen you describe can continue for an entire lifetime --- without a single interruption?  And if he has determined to never have destructive thoughts (although totally unprovable), he could make a fortune marketing it for profit since it works so well!  

Calling yourself  "religious," if you are a child molestor, has even been shown on NBC's Wednesday's "Predators" weekly TV evening broadcast to be a popular way pedophiles use to describe themselves in order to deflect suspicion!  Becoming "religious" can be a convincingly huge "cover" if a molestor needs one after being convicted!  Gosh, a permanent reprieve from all pedophilic temptation from God!  What is better than that - and not unprovable by any concrete earthly means!  

My father was a molestor. He attended church and was a "death to gays and pedophiles" pillar of the community and national music education field.  He was a teacher. He was a controller. He was smart (I belong to Mensa). He was very well-educated, and although his advanced degrees were in music, every shelf on his bookcases was covered with psychology books and magazines that he used to reinforce his "cover."  His molestation did not end with his daughers - they also involved other children and some of his grandchildren.   

One of the ways pedophiles use to throw adults off their trails is to point fingers at others. "You are JUST LIKE ME --- against those MONSTER molestors!" --- and statements like, "My actions are now driven JUST LIKE YOURS - by God." --- and would you disavow your own purity, which was said to be the same as the speaker's, in order to question the "former pedophile's" statement that you were also Godly?  

My Master's degree is what used to be called "social psychology"  or "why people do what they do."  Are you so well groomed by this person and duped through "religion" that you believe everything you hear "in the name of God"?  Would you risk a child's physical well being and emotional safety because of this person's "NEW religious beliefs"?  In my area of study, it is well known that beliefs are the hardest --- if not impossible --- things to change.  If I told you I no longer had blue eyes because I had had a "religious rebirth" and rigorously followed the 12 Rules of Blinking,  would you check out the color of my eyes anyway?  I surely hope so!     

Please remember that "private images" are much different than "public images." I'll bet (if you admit it) that you know where public images are seen, groomed and cultivated, and I'll bet you also know where your private image appears!  And in church, if someone knows that he/she is to give a  "public confession" to a priest, rabbi or congregation,  you might guess that it will be groomed a bit at home (in private) before it gets to church in public!  

If you believe this supposed "new "blessing to society" from his words, then I'll bet you don't believe in listening to your first "gut feeling" that many researchers think was physically designed to help keep you from harm's way.  If you try to rationalize that you are now an "enlightened, God-loving, rational-thnking adult who does his/her OWN thinking," and you believe that religion can change anyone every time, you will also probably ignore the intuition with which you were born.  

"Because the "Book" says..." does not mean that anyone abides by ANY book from cover to cover! And saying so doesn't MAKE it so!  Retelling a lie doesn't change it to "truth" --- no matter how many times you retell it!  You can put any person in your best prayers, but know that people still "own" free will and that is why we still have prisons; murders; rapes and child molestation can and do still occur.  

Remember that anyone can say anything --- and it doesn't necesarily matter if it's true or not,  it only matters if it WORKS or not --- and especially if it helps keep a child molestor from going to prison again! That would be a HUGE motivation to lie!   

Programs may appear viable on paper and their espoused "positive results" may help keep someone out of the "hot seat" for a while, but these "SOME cases that seem to have the POTENTIAL for being productive" will NOT cut it with me because I've lived with those ideas NOT working before in person --- as a child and an adult.  

If the person you describe is responsible enough not to do this again, then he should have been responsible enough not to do these kinds of things in the first place. What is his motivation to now be "accountable"?  Because he needs a wife for "respectable" cover???? 

My ex was a child molester fromthe age of 14 and was not caught till he was 33 by me! He even went so far as to tAke pictures of his own daughter! he is now in federal prison for 14 years and he cannot be reformed!

July 9, 2006, 8:55 am CDT

07/12 A Predator in the House?

Quote From: hardtruth

I have written several messages trying to get this problem out in the open. I have been fighting with the courts for two and a half years about my children. My ex-husband began to "groom" my daughter and was laying naked next to her. All the therapist agreed that he was trying to molest her. I had all the evidence presented to the court. They would not re-open a case he had in the late eighties for molesting what I found out to be a two year old! They told me it was inadmissible. He admitted to everything and the court still let him have visitation rights with his Mother as the supervisor! What is wrong with our court system? They are letting our children get hurt when all we want to do is protect them! Why are they allowed more rights than our children. Where does it say it is in the best interest of the child to get molested, because that is what the courts are telling me. It is in their best interest to visit their father. They even had us do a psychological test that proved he had tendencies to be a pedophile and/or a serial killer. AND THEY WANT MY KIDS TO GO BACK THERE? The bailiff rolled her eyes at me when I stated what he did. Where is the justice. I have written DR. Phil a message about this. I really would like to see what he has to say, and maybe give us mothers some advice on how, emotionally, we are to handle this? I have spent over $15,000 trying to keep my kids away from him, but it has not worked yet, and I will never stop trying. 

If anyone has any advise, please let me know too. I am running out of options and my kids are running out of time. 

Erin M. 

I had an issue where I thought my ex-husband (who was abusive towards me) molested my daughter as a baby.  Possibly my sons to. None of them at very young ages wanted to be around him.  I finally got away and helped placed on him in jail, moved 4 states away and started over.  Three years later I became involved with someone else.  Everything was fine.  The kids were moving on, getting good grades at school and doing well socially with peers.  Three years inti the relationship I was told that my boyfriend was grooming my children and molesting them with no physical evidence of it.  The doctors said it wasn't happening.  I was told that because I "allowed it to happen once I would allow it to happen again".  The kids were taken away from me without ever proving they were harmed and allowed contact with thier father who was not allowed contact per the divorce decree until he could prove he was stable and under supervised contact.  Not to mention hios parole stated he isn't allowed to be within 1,000 feet of children.  They were considering returning the children to him because he is the father.  Yes, mothers should get away from a person who is abusive or a predator.  But because of the justice system it still has to be your skeleton in the closet.  It is wonderful to place these "bad" prople in jail away from innocent people and try to give help to those who need it.  But this nation is more worried about helping everyone without getting all the facts and not helping what really needs to be helped.  If my ex-boyfriend did what he did, no one can prove it.  And now my children and I are being punished for what my ex-husband did to us.  How is that fair? 

July 9, 2006, 9:25 am CDT

Who can be trusted? No one!

Quote From: moonbeamqq

You are wrong on the part that if they have no criminal history and are a good upstanding citizen they are probably innocent. My brother-in-law was all of these yet he molested me, his own sisiter and I am sure his own daughter. Yet everyone protected him because he was all of the above. He died in his 40's of a stroke. I think God took care of the problem in the end.
No one knows for sure anymore!!  Because it happened to you dosen't mean everyone else is guilty.  However I agree that just because you are an upstanding member in the community dosen't make you automatically innocent either.  There are always facts to consider, past and present.  Sometimes there is a child trying to get back at the family because things are not the way they think it should be or it is a "caring" member of the family who thinks they can tell these stories because if it works out that the state will pay them and all they have to do is sit at home taking care of the innocent children.  All the while convincing the kids something horrible happened to them. The same "caring" family member that sues employers for bogus injuries and lies to draw social security.  You cannot trust anyone.  NOt your family and not the justice system.  I know the state employees and judicial personnel are people and are going to make mistakes.  Then everyone becomes a victim.  But somewhere alnog the line, the people who are suppose to prtect and serve need to quit thinking about the cases as work and numbers but as REAL people and REAL lives.  Every situation is diffrent and they all need to be treated differently instaead of the basic rule of thumb that every district court uses (and even those are diffrent from other districts).

July 9, 2006, 9:26 am CDT

Amen and Amen!!!!!

Quote From: amazing_me

Thank you for the post--I agree whole heartedly. So, all of a sudden he has the will and mind to change because he has found a book he lives by--and oh, of course let's not forget God--after all -in all honesty it would take an act from God for him not to think thoughts or have urges and not follow them through.....this is a sick and twisted individual that is hiding behind religion and will not go through the rest of his life without abusing another child. I could say I will never eat a doughnut again..profess that I hate them....read a self help book on the 100 ways to avoid doughnuts...tell everyone how i will not even get in the vicinity of the smell of one----and no one would know that I have a secret stash---my point is once you have this need inside you it's hard to just turn that off. He is living in a world that bombards us with sex.....he can't escape commercials, movies,or just going to wal-mart, he has to get groceries, and he will see something he likes and he will think his evil,sick thoughts--make no mistake about that--he can't hide from himself. He knows--he knows!!!! I feel sorry for that person he has conned. This is what they do, this is their game, and they love it. I feel sick thinking of this man out there convincing people into his trust-------------I wonder if she would leave her daughter or son or niece and nephew with him ,after all, he has his book and now he has God in his heart isn't that precious???

July 9, 2006, 9:40 am CDT

A monster?

Quote From: lovesmart2

I constantly check the website for sexual predators living in your neighborhood.  A few months ago I was very disturbed to find that an apartment complex that my daughter moved in with my 3 year old granddaughter had 2 convicted sex offenders living within the complex and what got to me the most was that the apartment manager (knowing this) moved my daughter and my 3 year old granddaughter right next door...less than 10 feet way.  Words cannot explain what went through me that morning.  I contacted the leasing office and the girls response was  "yes we know but we cannot disclose this information and anyway he has been here for over a year and he's done nothing"  I asked her if she would have made this "stupid" decision if it were a family member or friend? My question to her was out of all of the apartment in this large complex werent there other vacant apartments and  why in the HE@# would she move my daughter next to him with a 3 year old little girl????
Well, she could not tell anyone but no one said that I could not tell anyone.  I immeditaley moved my daughter and made 100 copies of his mug shoot and distributed them throughout the complex.  I felt I had a moral commitment to all of the other children in that complex.
I suggest that everyone puts this website on their desktop and check it frequently. 
PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR KIDS FOR THESE MONSTERS
What makes you so sure they are monsters?  And why did you feel the need to break thier privacy rights?  Sometimes people are placed on those lists because they were 17 of 18 dating a girl in school that is thier age but the parents didn't approve and then went through the whole legal system.  Now, for being a teenager in school doing what teens do with other teens, they are paying a price the rest of thier lives and YOU call them a monster.

July 9, 2006, 10:00 am CDT

Incredible!

Quote From: sewlpn

My ex was a child molester fromthe age of 14 and was not caught till he was 33 by me! He even went so far as to tAke pictures of his own daughter! he is now in federal prison for 14 years and he cannot be reformed!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It had to be a tough go to get all that accomplished and you were spectacular!  Your leadership, strength and follow-through are impressive, and I honor and greatly appreciate you. 

Please give your daughter my very best.  If she ever has a bad day, she will never doubt that she has the most powerful and loving parent any child or adult could have --- BECAUSE YOU WERE THERE!  And there are no limits with what she can do with her life!  

Again, thank you! I never had any support, so I am making my own..  

July 9, 2006, 10:12 am CDT

You know the truth!!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: susanlynne

My husband and I have been separated for 3 years.  I am still trying to get a divorce from him.  About 5 years ago, I caught my husband in the bed with our 5 year old daughter wearing nothing but his underwear(briefs).  I confronted him and told him to never do that again.  He really showed no emotion what so ever about the situation.  About 2 weeks later, I caught him again in her bed with nothing again but his underwear and this time my daughter's door was almost shut.  Keep in mind that he got out of the marital bed to go to her bed, both times, in the early morning hours (5-6 am).  Since then there have been several "red flags" that could indicate something's not just right.  Most recently, I had to take my daughter 2 different times to the doctor for irritations in private areas after visitation with her father.  My daughter cries when it's time to go to my husband's for visitation.  She really doesn't want to go.  Also, my daughter has lied about sleeping in her father's bed.  My son told me the truth. She has only lied about that one time.  My worry is I don't know if it is still happening or not.  My son really doesn't comment that much anymore.  There are just so many different things that have happened that has created serious concerns about my husband and daughter.  I just wish I knew the truth.   
Just the fact that you can say you wish you knew the truth baffles me.  What do you need -a picture of him molesting your daughter.?? Well, you already have one honey----are you waiting for a portfolio before you believe? As mothers we inherently have a radar when it comes to our children, and when  we ignore that  signal, we are then failing our children.  If you do not get her away from him you are just as responsible for the damage that is being caused to your daughter.  You have to be the voice that your daughter doesn't have.She is giving all the signs of abuse by her dad and you are giving her all the signs that it is ok---is that what you intend?? What happens when she is older and questions " why, why mom, why didn't you help me?... You should've been there for me. instead you abandoned me into the hands of my abuser..Why??? " What will your answer be???  and you are questioning '' if it is STILL happening"--do you hear that? STILL HAPPENING??? you have answered your own disbelief, now is the time to take action!! Also, you have a son who may be witnessing these things and is also being affected by the madness--YOU HAVE TO STOP THIS!!!!!!! Let me know something please--i was molested by a family member and I was abandoned too!! Don't hurt your child any further, I beg you to help her. You need to be fierce, and strong for her..PLEASE HELP HER because she is helpless!!!!!! reach me here if you need to talk!garfield2006@alltel.net

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last