Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Online Dating

Number of Replies: 365
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 06, 2006, 07:06:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Meeting the love of your life in a bar is no longer the only option. Every month, 61 million people log on to try online dating. So why is Dr. Phil's first guest, Deb, having such a hard time? She says she's a dating disaster and can't figure out why she only gets losers in her inbox. Some online dating experts take a look at her profile to see what she's doing wrong. Then, Jeanne hasn't been on a date in over 20 years and says she's scared to death to try online dating. Dr. Phil goes over some cyber safety tips from his book, Love Smart. Plus, a unique first date that doesn’t include dinner and drinks ... but a metal bar and a harness! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2006, 7:36 pm CDT

Not quite dating, but hooked

I met the man I hoped to marry when I was just thirteen years old in an avatar chat room. He was just a year older than me. We've been in contact for 5 years now and I've adored him for 4 years. We've done live chats and its nice. We haven't met yet because he lives 1,000 miles into British Columbia and I live 2,500 miles from the Canadian border in South Texas. I'm not dedicating myself to just him. I date guys here, but I don't feel the same with them. I hope when we do meet in the summer of 2007, my hopes would be fulfilled. I might be a fool, but I'm willing to take that grand risk in the end. That's my story. Thanks.

July 28, 2006, 2:30 pm CDT

hey

on  line dateing is dangerous,  you can get a nut on line. that may just rape  and kill you!   you don't really know who you are talking to. they can lie about themselfs  and send pics of others people. then a  REAL PIC OF THEM SELFS.  its not safe  online dateing. to many  get missing and end up dead. meeting someone on line. 

July 30, 2006, 11:47 am CDT

a success!

I tried online dating with Match.com for about 3 months in 2004. It was a snowday from school (I am a teacher) and decided I would try it out just for fun. During that time I chatted with and met a few of the men that I had met on Match. The vast majority of them were genuinely nice people. Sparks didn't fly with any of those men, and eventually I let my subscription run out, although I kept my profile and picture online. About 6 months later I received a wink from a man that I vaguely remembered corresponding with a few times back in the winter. I looked through my inbox and discovered that I had his home email address. On a whim I decided to email him a quick hello... That hello turned out to be one of the best things I have ever done in my life. We emailed, finally talked on the phone after a few weeks, and eventually met in person. The rest is history. We will be getting married in less than 4 months. I have recommended online dating to several friends who have had mixed success with it. My feeling is that if you are smart about it (ie: protect yourself, but tell the truth), you just might find what you've been looking for. My "match" was just a few miles from me, living in the same town, shopping at the same grocery store, driving the same roads... But I never would have met him if it hadn't been for our online adventure!

July 30, 2006, 1:17 pm CDT

What were you thinking?

Dr. Phil, I love you but suggesting this to anyone other then woman to men is awful. Have you read some of the men wanting to meet men and woman wanting to meet woman site? Have you looked at the pictures?  If you want to fix people up do it the way our good Lord inteneded, take the other stuff off.

July 30, 2006, 5:29 pm CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: bettybad63

Dr. Phil, I love you but suggesting this to anyone other then woman to men is awful. Have you read some of the men wanting to meet men and woman wanting to meet woman site? Have you looked at the pictures?  If you want to fix people up do it the way our good Lord inteneded, take the other stuff off.
If you are looking to get into a debate about homosexuality there are a few places here to do so.

As for what you said: Not everyone believes in the 'good lord'...and there are those that do and aren't uptight about people dating and having sex with WHO they want to.

It's 2006, gays are not in the closet anymore.

August 1, 2006, 1:01 am CDT

All I Have To Say...

Im 18. I got married on July 1, 2006 I met my husband online and i thank god everyday for that site because if it wasnt for that site i wouldnt be where im at today and i love being married. Even though we are young i wouldnt have it any other way. People seem to think because we got married so fast (engaged for 6 weeks and dating 3 years) that i must have been pregnant. thats the only thing that bummed me out about telling people i was getting married. i hated that "oh so when are you due" question. but i loved the look on their face when i would tell them that im not pregnant and im getting married because i want to get married. Most people looked at me like i was crazy to WANT to get married at 18. So im not saying online dating is for everyone but it worked for me and im happy it did.

August 1, 2006, 1:04 am CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: purplepain

If you are looking to get into a debate about homosexuality there are a few places here to do so.

As for what you said: Not everyone believes in the 'good lord'...and there are those that do and aren't uptight about people dating and having sex with WHO they want to.

It's 2006, gays are not in the closet anymore.
I couldnt have said it better myself. You're right, gays are not in the closet anymore and it pisses me off when i see people like that. so closed minded. so quick to judge. its very sad.

August 1, 2006, 1:08 am CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: lamil2wm

I tried online dating with Match.com for about 3 months in 2004. It was a snowday from school (I am a teacher) and decided I would try it out just for fun. During that time I chatted with and met a few of the men that I had met on Match. The vast majority of them were genuinely nice people. Sparks didn't fly with any of those men, and eventually I let my subscription run out, although I kept my profile and picture online. About 6 months later I received a wink from a man that I vaguely remembered corresponding with a few times back in the winter. I looked through my inbox and discovered that I had his home email address. On a whim I decided to email him a quick hello... That hello turned out to be one of the best things I have ever done in my life. We emailed, finally talked on the phone after a few weeks, and eventually met in person. The rest is history. We will be getting married in less than 4 months. I have recommended online dating to several friends who have had mixed success with it. My feeling is that if you are smart about it (ie: protect yourself, but tell the truth), you just might find what you've been looking for. My "match" was just a few miles from me, living in the same town, shopping at the same grocery store, driving the same roads... But I never would have met him if it hadn't been for our online adventure!
Its amazing how one little thing like an e-mail can change your life. good for you! i love hearing things like this. It seems like all i ever hear is horror stories about online dating. i need to hear happy endings about online dating. i met my husband online and im so thankful for that. Its a bummer some people are not smart about it and give online dating such a bad name. so hearing happy stories like this always bring a smile to my face

August 1, 2006, 1:09 am CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: loveboduke

on  line dateing is dangerous,  you can get a nut on line. that may just rape  and kill you!   you don't really know who you are talking to. they can lie about themselfs  and send pics of others people. then a  REAL PIC OF THEM SELFS.  its not safe  online dateing. to many  get missing and end up dead. meeting someone on line. 
I think its dangerous if you're not smart about it. and most people are not. what a shame.

August 1, 2006, 1:10 am CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: amanda956

I met the man I hoped to marry when I was just thirteen years old in an avatar chat room. He was just a year older than me. We've been in contact for 5 years now and I've adored him for 4 years. We've done live chats and its nice. We haven't met yet because he lives 1,000 miles into British Columbia and I live 2,500 miles from the Canadian border in South Texas. I'm not dedicating myself to just him. I date guys here, but I don't feel the same with them. I hope when we do meet in the summer of 2007, my hopes would be fulfilled. I might be a fool, but I'm willing to take that grand risk in the end. That's my story. Thanks.
good for you! do what feels right. and if this feels right i say go for it! it could be the best thing that has ever happend to you

First | Prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next | Last