Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Online Dating

Number of Replies: 365
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 06, 2006, 07:06:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Meeting the love of your life in a bar is no longer the only option. Every month, 61 million people log on to try online dating. So why is Dr. Phil's first guest, Deb, having such a hard time? She says she's a dating disaster and can't figure out why she only gets losers in her inbox. Some online dating experts take a look at her profile to see what she's doing wrong. Then, Jeanne hasn't been on a date in over 20 years and says she's scared to death to try online dating. Dr. Phil goes over some cyber safety tips from his book, Love Smart. Plus, a unique first date that doesn’t include dinner and drinks ... but a metal bar and a harness! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 10, 2006, 6:04 am CDT

On Line Dating Stink's

Hello Everyone, 

Ok So all the ladies are " Bashing " all the guy's........ Well..... 

I am a 34 year old  single guy I own my own home I am honest and " REAL " I work hard I don't do DRUG'S ........ 

I have tried the " E harmony,Match.com,Pleanty of fish.com  and countless others I should also say I am a very shy person..........and well I have met a few ladies that have not at all looked like there photo they do LOT'S of DRUG's......they are married......so basicly all the stuff the ladies are complaining about I have also found.....now this may be a stuppido question...but I wonder who started all this crap....LOL   I would like to meet a nice sweet HONEST NORMAL lady to enjoy life with ......but for now I am single and working....and working on my garden every night and all weekend....LOL  

Good luck to every one.....I know first hand it's very hard to find someone " REAL " 

Take care & please try to be HONEST with each other and your self 

Rob 

July 10, 2006, 6:39 am CDT

Me Again

I have been talking to a fellow from Florida for the past two years also.  We have seen each other 3 times since we started talking.  I like him but something just seems funny at times.  After two years you would think we would want to see each other more to work on a relationship but he tells me he can' t take time from work or some other excuse.  He wants me to meet him in other places which sounds great but I don't always have the finances to do that.  I want a relationship and would relocate to Florida next year when I can retire but when I ask him about that he just simply doesn't answer me.  I do wonder if he is doing the same with other woman and going to different states to meet them and just playing mums the word?  I hate sounding suspicious but I am really looking for a relationship and marriage, I'm 57 and I want a man who wants the same.  I'd like to enjoy my golden years not just keep chasing the illusion of love, I'd like to find it. 

July 10, 2006, 12:23 pm CDT

I also found a great guy

Hey everyone,  I found a great guy on Match.  I was on the site for a long time, had a few dates.  Some guys I went out with on more then one occasion.  Some I minute I saw them I went the other way.  I still talk to one of the guys I met about three years ago.  I went to see him last summer, to see if there was anything there and there wasn't.  But we are friends.  I decided to join again about a year ago, and talked to a few guys.  Then Mike emailed me, his profile was pretty funny.  We started to email everyday and that lead to phone calls.  After about a month of emails and phone calls we decided to meet.  I was happy the minute he got out of the car.  That first date we went to the movies, an early show.  Then we decided to meet up again later that night.  We were up all night talking and have been together for 8 months now.  We are living together and are planning on buying a house next summer.  It takes a while to find who you are looking for, but they are out there.  Good luck to all that are still looking. 

Jamie

July 10, 2006, 1:51 pm CDT

Not sure what to think of online dating...

I have tried eharmoney.com and nothing, I tried true.com and lots of lookers were looking at my page but nothing to write home about.. I tried BBW Personals.com, well I can only say most men were either old enough to be my dad or young enough to be my younger brother or even son.  

I have met online thru BBWPersonalPlus.com a couple of men, but ladies let me fore warn you, there are some snakes. One man claimed he was from Florida and he was opening a art gallery, his picture was great he had a beautiful house, boat  and was willing to come to my home state and visit, only catch was he went to England and then Nigeria for art work to buy (didn't tell me this till he was in England), oh but it gets better he the went to Nigeria and wouldn't you know it, he ran out of money and only had money orders which no bank over there would cash and he needed money to ship his artwork home or lose it.. Couldn't I help??  

The other man I met was thru True.com,  he too claimed to live in the U.S in fact in Virginia and he was originally from the U.K and in fact still held his British Passport and was over here on a work Visa I presume.  Well he went to Nigeria to do stocks and something else, well he too needed a little financial help, it would seem he had a bit of a fender bender and he just didn't have any money in which to pay for the repairs except he had money orders and supposedly a few American Express Travelers Cheques.. and yes you guessed it, no body in Nigeria would cash the Traveler's Cheques or the money orders couldn't I please help him.  Told him to go to the British Consulet.    

So it would seem I attrack those looking for a weak person to prey on..  So ladies and Gentleman who are surfing thru those personal ad websites, please be careful for you never know what you might catch.  

July 10, 2006, 2:16 pm CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: tsprob

Hello Everyone, 

I am a 34 year old  single guy I own my own home I am honest and " REAL " I work hard I don't do DRUG'S ........ 

I have tried the " E harmony,Match.com,Pleanty of fish.com  and countless others I should also say I am a very shy person..........and well I have met a few ladies that have not at all looked like there photo they do LOT'S of DRUG's......they are married......so basicly all the stuff the ladies are complaining about I have also found.....now this may be a stuppido question...but I wonder who started all this crap....LOL   I would like to meet a nice sweet HONEST NORMAL lady to enjoy life with ......but for now I am single and working....and working on my garden every night and all weekend....LOL  

Good luck to every one.....I know first hand it's very hard to find someone " REAL " 

Rob 

hello , we can be penpals,  gingerandcharles@yahoo.com   I also have a 360 acct.,  we can be friends. I am single.I like to garden, I do not want to get serious but I do need friends.  see ya  

Ginger  

July 10, 2006, 2:18 pm CDT

07/13 Online Dating

Quote From: msshsh

I met a man online ..  I see nothing wrong  with it , if you use common sense.  We talked online for a  while ( nothing kinky) then decided to meet.  He lived 200 miles away, we  met at a local mall( local for me ) he drove 150 miles i drove  50miles.  We hit it off . I can;t say it  was  love at  first  site , but  very close to  it ..  Well, that  was  the  beginning of  the  story , The rest of  the  story, we  dated for a  year and  a  half ====  yes driving  back and  forth 200 miles..  We got married , living happily..                     

I am glad to see that it does exist. ha ha, I never have had it.  

Ginger 

July 10, 2006, 3:03 pm CDT

Good and Bad Everywhere

Here is the bottom line guys and gals, some people have a hard time being honest with themselves let alone a stranger.  I have friends male and female who are so unhappy with their lives that they are dishonest when creating their profiles;  I was shocked to see this going on with people I am close to.   I think on line dating is great but be honest when creating your profile cuz if you only make 25k a year and say you make 50k+ how you going to explain that later.  I've seen those who have had great lasting relationships from on line meetings.  I didn't find Mr right but I did find great friends who have brought a lot into my life.

July 10, 2006, 3:07 pm CDT

Suspicious

Quote From: wintterose

I have been talking to a fellow from Florida for the past two years also.  We have seen each other 3 times since we started talking.  I like him but something just seems funny at times.  After two years you would think we would want to see each other more to work on a relationship but he tells me he can' t take time from work or some other excuse.  He wants me to meet him in other places which sounds great but I don't always have the finances to do that.  I want a relationship and would relocate to Florida next year when I can retire but when I ask him about that he just simply doesn't answer me.  I do wonder if he is doing the same with other woman and going to different states to meet them and just playing mums the word?  I hate sounding suspicious but I am really looking for a relationship and marriage, I'm 57 and I want a man who wants the same.  I'd like to enjoy my golden years not just keep chasing the illusion of love, I'd like to find it. 
I think you have reason to be suspicious, sounds like he's a player or maybe even married.  Be careful sweetie as pretty as you are you will find Mr. Right!

July 10, 2006, 3:12 pm CDT

I Feel ya!

Quote From: tsprob

Hello Everyone, 

Rob 

How did honesty becomes such a rare commodity?  I know women who are far worse than men. We all need to quit blaming one man or woman's actions on an entire gender. Hope you find the perfect girl for you....  Peace out Rob!                   ~Tammy

July 10, 2006, 4:24 pm CDT

can empathize

Quote From: grace0361

How did honesty becomes such a rare commodity?  I know women who are far worse than men. We all need to quit blaming one man or woman's actions on an entire gender. Hope you find the perfect girl for you....  Peace out Rob!                   Tammy

Totally understand what you mean! And once you've gotten "burned" online by someone you thought was honest it is tough to think about letting your heart go that way again. In my case it took over 6 months to find out that my Prince Charming wasn't actually divorced eventhough he'd sworn that he'd been single for many yrs. I met one of his daughters and even after getting to know her there was no hint that he had been lieing! The person who creates a system that weeds out the "posers" -- the liars, the cheats, the ultra-proud, the I'm-Better-Than-Everyone-Else-You-Should-BE-So-Lucky-To-Be-With-Me types, the psychos, etc -- now that is going to be a person who has done man and womankind a good deed!   

Like you, Rob, I am an honest person. It is too easy to just say "all men are pigs" or "all women are teases" and things like that. There are good people out there -- men and women. Once a little more time has gone by I may be ready to date again. I broke up with this guy over 6 months ago now. I've gotten involved in my community in a singles group and in a local MeetIN.org group. I've met many wonderful people -- single and coupled -- and that has enriched my life. I am not looking for that special someone anymore. Well, not exactly anyway. I mean, I know there is that potential each time I meet a guy for the first time, but it is now more in the back of my mind than the forefront of my mind. I am more interested in the PERSON versus being interested in "the date" or "the mate" as it were.  

Good luck! I hope you find a sweet gal soon. I know they are out there because I meet sweet women all the time who would love to meet a sweet sounding man like you. ~ pdxgal  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last