Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Online Dating

Number of Replies: 365
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 06, 2006, 07:06:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Meeting the love of your life in a bar is no longer the only option. Every month, 61 million people log on to try online dating. So why is Dr. Phil's first guest, Deb, having such a hard time? She says she's a dating disaster and can't figure out why she only gets losers in her inbox. Some online dating experts take a look at her profile to see what she's doing wrong. Then, Jeanne hasn't been on a date in over 20 years and says she's scared to death to try online dating. Dr. Phil goes over some cyber safety tips from his book, Love Smart. Plus, a unique first date that doesn’t include dinner and drinks ... but a metal bar and a harness! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 8, 2006, 11:51 am CDT

dejavu

boy can I ever relate to this though it hasn't been 20 yrs.  I get guys who are separated aka still married, those who talk it up big, but are just jerks-no honesty whatsoever!

July 8, 2006, 2:42 pm CDT

Online dating jerks/losers

Boy, is Deb right.  The men on Match.com and other sites are not what I had hoped for.  I am 58 and my best friend is 45 - neither of us has been successful.  She has even been stood up twice.  Before I joined, I felt that most of the people on the sites were losers, and now, I am pretty well convinced of it.  Neither of us plans to renew or try another site. 

Brenda 

July 8, 2006, 2:59 pm CDT

online dating

I have tried online dating and have received very few responces much less a meeting

July 8, 2006, 4:08 pm CDT

Been there done that

I did the online dating thing for 10 years.  I did the ads in the paper too.  Yeah you meet your share of jerks but you also meet some pretty nice guys.  There are the liars and the not so truthful ones too.  I met my husband 7 years ago in a chat room.  He was/is in oklahoma and I was in New York.  Didn't see the chance of anything ever happening because of the distance.  I flew out here for a week because we spent so much time getting to know each other over the phone...chat room, emails.  We had a great time together.  We flew back and forth for a year then I moved out here in 2000.  Been together ever since.  Sparks still fly, my heart still goes pitter patter when he looks at me.    

One piece of advice for the online dating.  Ya gotta think of it as fishing....you cast the net looking for one fish and a bunch of others are caught too.  Just toss them back! 

Cindy 

July 8, 2006, 4:16 pm CDT

On Line Men

I've paid several times on different sites and I agree with other comments.  The men are the same ones over and over again.  Their photos aren't always up-to-date, they are in relationships looking for another before they lose what they have or who they live with.  I am 57 divorced and maybe not gorgeous but  I think i am attractive for my age.  These guys are looking for their fantasy woman.  sleek, slender petite, have their own money and who are available when ever the man wants attention.  The guys are very one sided and  maybe that is why they are still single and and looking.  At this age we don't have that firm flawless skintone and guys lose their hair and woman lose the waistline but that should be expected.  I am just looking for a man I can click with and he with me.  I want to find someone who I can share my golden years with,  together.  Isn't that the most important part of life?  I have taken myself off match.com because they are the same guys over and over again.  I am staying positive and hopefull but I think I'd have better luck at the lottery than finding a good man..LOL

July 8, 2006, 4:35 pm CDT

Online dating

After seeing Dr. Phil endorse eHarmony, I signed up, with trepidation.  I had tried all the rest...Match.com, American Singles, etc.  over the past 15 years.  I am completely honest online and have found most guys are not.  However, this eHarmony thing seems to really try to match you.  There was such a long profile to do, I had given up at least twice before.  This is the first time I have received a lot of feedback.  As a matter of fact, a fellow is flying out here (West Coast) in a couple of weeks from Florida. We have been talking on the phone for 2 months and just seem to hit it off.  He will be staying in a local hotel.  It seems too good to be true.  Am I crazy?  Usually I meet local guys in a coffee shop. Yikes!  Wish me luck!

July 8, 2006, 4:39 pm CDT

Wrong Expectations

At the risk of sounding judgemental of the messages already posted, I have to disagree with the on-line dating comments i ahevread thus far. I have been meeting people on-line for about 1 1/2 years. Although I have not met "the one", I have met some great people and made some true friends. I have also learned a lot about myself. I have changed a lot since I last adated over 19 years ago. The dating world has changed too!   

The men on-line are not all pigs and liars any more than all women are home wreckers and munipulaters. I don't want to be lumped into any one category. Maybe it is what you are putting out in your profile, and what you "think" you want in a relationship that is the problem. Is your profile 100% honest with your most recent photo? Do you claim to Love to do things you haven't really done in 20 years and don't plan to do?   

I guess I am saying you get out of on-line dating exactly what you put into it. Be open, be happy with who you are right now and expect your first dates to be  what they are... just a date.   

Best of luck to all.   

July 8, 2006, 4:39 pm CDT

chat rooms

I have not tried online dating sites, but I met my husband in a chat room that was for the city/state I live in. I think people get so wrapped up in the whole 'online' thing that they forget what they are looking for in a mate. Before I met my husband (who unfortunetly died last year), I had met other men in the chat rooms. My number one thing was not just to talk and meet right away. You have to get to know a person first and ask questions. If they don't want to do that, then they probably aren't worth talking to. I found that by finding out about the 'person' first helped to 'weed out' the weirdos!! I just wanted to put my 2 cents in the those of us that have found GOOD matches from the web that DO actually work. I found a friend, husband and soulmate in mine........

July 8, 2006, 4:57 pm CDT

It happened once for me

Quote From: leverett

I have tried online dating and have received very few responces much less a meeting

I met my husband (now deceased) 5 years ago on line and he was the most wonderful thing that happened to me. We married after a year, and  two years after that he had a massive heart attack and sadly died instantly. We had a wonderful short but fulfilling life together. I gained an extended family, beautiful grand children, and great friends.  

I have tried since to find another "jewel", but had no success. I have had no luck over the last 12 months, but they are there somewhere. It is like looking for gold, takes time and patience. And I pray every day that someone is looking for me just as I am looking for them.  

Good luck  

July 8, 2006, 4:58 pm CDT

BEWARE OF THE DATE

DATING ON LINE CAN BE GOOD SOME OF THE TIMES ,BUT NOT ALWAYS. YOU COULD BE TALKING TO A CHILD MOLESTER, A STALKER, OR EVEN WORSE. NEVER GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION. WHEN YOU BEGIN THE DATING SERVICE BE WARE OF THESE ARE STRANGER AND REMEMBER WHAT YOUR MOTHER SAID ABOUT STRANGERS. FIND A GOOD DATING SERVICE WITH BACK ROUND CHECKS IT MAY COST YOU BUT BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. IF THEY SEEM TO WANT TO MEET YOU IN A PLACE THAT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE DON'T GO. IF THEY SEEM TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT WILL BE JUST THAT. AND ABOVE ALL BE HONEST TO THEM DON'T MAKE YOURSELF TO BE WHO YOU ARE NOT.IF YOUR ARE MARRIED WHAT'S MAKING YOU WANT TO DATE SOMEONE ELSE? IF IT BOREDOM TRY TO SPICE UP YOUR LIFE TO YOU MATE. ABOVE ALL REMEMBER BE SAFE AND MEET IN SAFE PLACES.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last