Message Boards

Topic : 07/13 Online Dating

Number of Replies: 365
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 06, 2006, 07:06:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Meeting the love of your life in a bar is no longer the only option. Every month, 61 million people log on to try online dating. So why is Dr. Phil's first guest, Deb, having such a hard time? She says she's a dating disaster and can't figure out why she only gets losers in her inbox. Some online dating experts take a look at her profile to see what she's doing wrong. Then, Jeanne hasn't been on a date in over 20 years and says she's scared to death to try online dating. Dr. Phil goes over some cyber safety tips from his book, Love Smart. Plus, a unique first date that doesn’t include dinner and drinks ... but a metal bar and a harness! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 9, 2006, 6:43 am CDT

Good Grief

This is a very interesting topic to discuss, especially since Dr. Phil is involved with match.com.  I am abjective when it comes to both sides of the argument of whether on-line dating really works.  I think its effectiveness has a lot to do with what we put into it.  I am very active with my account.  I know that this is just one of many outlets I can use to access a potential companion.  If you are too choosy or looking for an exact someone, you have problems within yourself.  Maybe being on your own is what you really need at this point.  I am not to choosy.  I just see a lot of the same thing "active but still like to come home and cozy up on the couch with a movie" template that all these guys must have copied from their  "How to be a Gentleman" owner's manual.  I think men and women should have access to their own gender's account on match to know what their up against.  Otherwise, you read through the same spiel.  What's worse, you decide to meet and find that their description is FAR from the truth!  One more thing, I don't know why I put an age limit on my profile?  I get so many "matches" from those who exceed my age limits in both directions.  I don't know...check out my profile labeled "fantaskabit" at match and let me know your opinion.

July 9, 2006, 6:59 am CDT

Online Dating is waste of time!!!

I have tried online dating for about 6 years now. And have had NO real luck with any of the men that I went out with. One was married (lied) one was noway near what he had stated on our phone calls and it goes on and on. The way I look at it yes it does work for some people but there is more of the not work outs than good endings. I am giving it up and just going to live my life and if it is meant to be it will happen the good ole fashioned way. I am in no hurry to have a man in life online dating has stopped that for good.  Good luck to all you believers but be very very careful!!!! To many of the men are players and lie and carry wayyyy to much baggage about their divorces and ex's...

July 9, 2006, 7:06 am CDT

E harmony is a joke

Quote From: ingwt2006

I married my last husband from a meeting on the internet.  We were married almost 3 years and he left me 2 weeks before a major surgery.  I've recently tried filling out a profile on E-Harmony and I only get denied as "there are no matches" that fit my desires or the area I want.  So...I believe online is only for the lonely and for people that really want a long lasting relationship I still believe in the meeting of the minds in person.  (My sister is recently married and she met her man on E-Harmony)!   I'm waiting to see how that works out.  I'm still waiting to be at the right place at the right time.  Do you think that is dumb?  I sympathize with your delima.  I don't know that there is an easy answer.   

Paula 

I too had tried that site. The only guy I dated had sooo lied about his whole being. We were not compatible at all. To many men want to sound like the perfect man and the way I see it if your so perfect why are you on a online dating site????? :-)

July 9, 2006, 7:12 am CDT

Don't do it if you are scared!!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: anxious316

I have just met a man on the net he says he just wants to be friends and talk he even went so far as to give his phone number I saw a picture of him but looks aren't necessarily the way they are I've never down this before I'm 42 and he says he's 46 what do I do? 

Don't do it if you are having any second guessing. 

July 9, 2006, 8:12 am CDT

it can be done

I have done online dating. It is tough out there. But, if you are honest and forthcoming, you can meet someone special. I meet my husband online dating. He was divorced and I was tired ot my friends "i know the perfect guy for you" or meeting someone in a bar.   

I think if you present yourself truthfully and let people know EXACTLY what you want and desire in a relationship, it will work.  

Good luck to you!  

July 9, 2006, 8:22 am CDT

Dated very little since the age of 25

I have tried the dating sites. Not much has come of it for me either. I have been honest in my profile and many of the men have not. I seem to attract the shy, needy and boastful ones. I have scared a number of men away with my honesty. Then again what is so wrong with being honest? You can't attract the kind of person you want without being truthful of yourself. The profiles that I have responded to I got very few responses.   

Well any way I am not sorry that I do not look like a beauty queen that wants to please her man in every way! I am looking for a companion not a fantasy. I just wish I could find someone who is down to earth.  

July 9, 2006, 9:30 am CDT

Well

Dating online is good idea if people use it in the right way  

July 9, 2006, 9:55 am CDT

Dangerus game

I was married for 39 years - after a brain injury, my husband changed, and after 6 years he left.  It wasn't until I started poking around that I realized that he'd been involved in an online "romance"/  Evidently the nice lady told him he didn't have to stay around the farm, didn't have to rely on his family, didn't have to... well, you get the idea.  At 63, he fell for it all - was looking for something better, brighter, newer.    

I'd spent 6 years living with a stranger due to the brain injury, putting up with temper tantrums and dark fantasies about how people were mistreating him - he said he was leaving and I waved him out the door.  Within about a month and a half, all his money was gone and he was regretting signing all the divorce papers.  Along the way the " love of his life" showed him in no uncertain terms that she wasn't putting up with his temper tantrums, and he had his front teeth knocked out. He ended up in the hospital at least two times that I know of. 

He has cut off all communication with everyone, including his daughter who has gone through many many brain surgeries.  he won't even let his mother or brother visit him.  Everything we worked for and dreamed about, he gave up to chase a pipe dream that ended up going very badly for him.  

I feel sorry for him for what he gave up - a whole lifetime of memories and good times, but I don't feel sorry for what he got with the internet dating.   

I guess you get exactly what you're looking for on the internet.  

July 9, 2006, 10:58 am CDT

online dating

i have tried american singles, match.com and e harmony.  i  am not getting any luck.  im 22 and very shy and that scares people off.  i try to chat online but the guys are not really what i am looking for.  i am pretty much realizing for now that im better off being single.  I went out with 2 guys only once each.  we did not really hit it off.  one guy took me to the mall to hang out and another took me to an outdoor miniture golf place, they have games there to.  we just talked but did not do anything.  both guys never contacted me again.  we did indeed talk on the phone and on the net.  people see that im shy and it does not really help.

July 9, 2006, 11:17 am CDT

Trust your instincts

Quote From: tamarock45

Don't do it if you are having any second guessing. 

Don't give out your phone number, or call him with on your phone first by blocking your number with *67.  Or, exchange e-mails - much harder to trace where you live, who you are.  I made up another e-mail address from my 'normal' one just for match.com stuff.  First, it keeps my kids off of checking out my e-mail and maintains my privacy as it is an address that makes NO mention of what I am or who I am.  Yes, I understand your frustration with pictures matching up with the "real Thing" - I love the guys who are "Athletic and Toned", yet they show pictures of the whole self, beer belly and all!  Patience is what it takes - there are many fish in the ocean, but only few are "edible"!  Good luck  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last