Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 9, 2006, 1:27 pm CDT

i have

hand to mouth disorder as well i cant stop eating i love my food so what i do is have healthy options at home so i am only snacking on healthy food but if i crave somthing then i will have as i will end up eating lots of what ever it is so  i find a little then keep going i also do excercise every day so that it helps and tones me up and helps with all the food i eat i also have a bottle of water that i reach for at times to i am not eating all the time stil trying to break the habit

July 15, 2006, 8:13 am CDT

obese at 29

Hi all, I am 29, 4'11" and weigh 150 pounds. I am constantly eating, sometimes I throw it all up. I want to be able to stop this bulimic  behavior. I want to lose at least 25 pounds. If someone knows how to stop please let me know. 

August 10, 2006, 8:37 am CDT

Overeating

Fortunately, I have stopped the habit of bingeing. My problem is that at my age it doesn't take much to overeat. I find that as I get older, I have to continually scale back on what I eat unless I'm very active.
For those of you that feel the need to stuff yourselves until it hurts, get Dr Phil's book.  This starts in your mind, not your stomach. You are feeding your mouth which knows nothing of hunger.
There's also the possibility that you are addicted to sugar which makes you feel hungry too soon after eating it, but is a false hunger. Believe me, real hunger doesn't feel the same. Hypoglycemia is a possible symptom of sugar overconsumption and addiction. When you curb sugar intake, like pop and candy, you will be drawn to baked goods as grain products are highly concentrated carbs that break down into simple sugars in the blood. That's why the prevailing wisdom is to cut out sugar and to restrict foods made with flour. Whole foods like fruits (not juice which is concentrated), vegetables, and meats (not packaged or processed.)
I experienced withdrawal when I went on this type of diet the first time, which convinced me of the addictive quality of sugar.
Another thing to try that might help with overeating is eating 5 or 6 small meals and snacks daily. This will shrink your stomach and keep you ahead of the hunger curve.
Good luck!

August 26, 2006, 4:12 am CDT

menopause

I was able to eat whatever I wanted all my life and even after having two children I stayed thin...then came menopause. I thought when the periods ceased it was over and I made it okay...wrong I now weight 200lbs and am 5'3". I am starting to be depressed and all this weight wears me out and it happened so fast...help

August 29, 2006, 9:18 am CDT

hi guys...

so...i'm 15. and i'M really overweight. i used to have an eating disorder (anorexia) but then..my best friend had a heart attack from vomiting so i decided i need to stop. ever since i gained a lot of weight. i'v been to a dietist and that didn't help much...so i decided that i have nothing to loose and i should try the 7 keys. the problem is, well i think i'M handeling well key #1 i stopped beating myself up and critisize myself but i have a big problem with key #2. d.r phil says that you have to stop been an emotional eater and to solve your personal problems. but i think that a big part of my over-eating has to do with my mom. she's really horoble to me and my sisters. she's stressed all the time-yelling and mocking, so i'v decided to stop talking to her. no she's not bithering me but i still have a feeling that i'm eating to much because of her. i really want ti succeed with this...do you have any tios for me?
oh by the way i have another problem: i can't clean my envierrment from snacks cause i have little sisters so the temptation is huge..what can i do about those problems?
-thanks guys you rock!

annie.  

September 14, 2006, 2:59 am CDT

Overeating

Quote From: anniepotter

so...i'm 15. and i'M really overweight. i used to have an eating disorder (anorexia) but then..my best friend had a heart attack from vomiting so i decided i need to stop. ever since i gained a lot of weight. i'v been to a dietist and that didn't help much...so i decided that i have nothing to loose and i should try the 7 keys. the problem is, well i think i'M handeling well key #1 i stopped beating myself up and critisize myself but i have a big problem with key #2. d.r phil says that you have to stop been an emotional eater and to solve your personal problems. but i think that a big part of my over-eating has to do with my mom. she's really horoble to me and my sisters. she's stressed all the time-yelling and mocking, so i'v decided to stop talking to her. no she's not bithering me but i still have a feeling that i'm eating to much because of her. i really want ti succeed with this...do you have any tios for me?
oh by the way i have another problem: i can't clean my envierrment from snacks cause i have little sisters so the temptation is huge..what can i do about those problems?
-thanks guys you rock!

annie.  

Be reasonable and be the adult with your mom.  Approach her and say, "Mom, I'm concerned about my health.  I really need to start eating healthier, and if you could help me by providing healthier eating choices, it would really help."  If she doesn't agree to it, fine.  Develop an exercise plan for at least twenty minutes a day, three days a week.  And yes, even rollerblading with your friends counts! 

Don't worry too much about weight right now.  Do focus on eating right, eating breakfast and lots of veggies and protein and calcium.  Your body is going to change so much over the next few years.  And you know what?  Being fat is not the end of the world if you're mobile, healthy, and happy.

September 14, 2006, 10:07 am CDT

oh my!!!

i dont know if im a over eater because im fat but to me and my husband and others who know me they got to remind me to eat i forget all the time but all the places i have gone to figure out where the hell this wieght came from says wieght gane is from over eating but is it possible to get heavy with out over eating i dont slurp sodas down i dont eat junk food help please explian to me thanks

October 3, 2006, 3:40 am CDT

hi

hi i am 18 years old and i started gaining weight since i was 15. i started with 6 pounds and now i am about 20 to 25 pounds overweight.  i have tried all sort of diet but nothing works. i had two successful major weight losses but i gained them back all again. i know what i have to do but i don't have the motivation to do it. i wake up every single day deciding that i am going to eat a lot less today but i end up eating a lot more.

I don't like eating in the mornings but i like eating at night because i go out with my friends and they all order hamburgers and sandwishes and i don't enjoy my evening unless i eat with them. I REALLY don't.

Sometimes i think that i  am a food addict and i give up or sometimes i think that one day scientists will invent this magic pill that will get me in shape again. i know i am lying to myself but i really am a lazy person.

The only way you can help me is by always motivating me and telling me things in a funny way or giving me motivational quotes.  All i need is one week of control and i think that i can be in charge of my body again.

THank u for this amazing site

October 3, 2006, 6:50 am CDT

what has been working for me in the last 24 hours

Hey every one

I just wanted to know if I could help motivate someone and have them help me through the next 9 days. See I am doing this new 9 day fat burning system and I am doing great it is giving into my cravings that I am having a proplem with. for the next 9 days I can only eat with in 400-600 calaries and then I also have two protien shakes that are for the other two meals. and my husband isnt doing this with me and he brings junk into the house all the time becasue he is an emotional eater like me. well I am doing great so far I have lost 5 pounds in on day and it is totally healthy it is doctor proven or I wouldnt have done it. well is there any one out there that can help keep me motivated?

Thumpalina

October 6, 2006, 4:50 pm CDT

Here's an Idea

Quote From: reem1607

hi i am 18 years old and i started gaining weight since i was 15. i started with 6 pounds and now i am about 20 to 25 pounds overweight.  i have tried all sort of diet but nothing works. i had two successful major weight losses but i gained them back all again. i know what i have to do but i don't have the motivation to do it. i wake up every single day deciding that i am going to eat a lot less today but i end up eating a lot more.

I don't like eating in the mornings but i like eating at night because i go out with my friends and they all order hamburgers and sandwishes and i don't enjoy my evening unless i eat with them. I REALLY don't.

Sometimes i think that i  am a food addict and i give up or sometimes i think that one day scientists will invent this magic pill that will get me in shape again. i know i am lying to myself but i really am a lazy person.

The only way you can help me is by always motivating me and telling me things in a funny way or giving me motivational quotes.  All i need is one week of control and i think that i can be in charge of my body again.

THank u for this amazing site

I'm in your same boat right now.  I started gaining a little weight around 18.  Then I met my current boyfriend who loves to eat just as much as I do.  We are both social eaters the way you seem to be.  My weight went from 117 to 140 within a year of dating him.  I just turned 20 and am struggling not to gain anymore pounds.  I'm only 5'3" by the way and have a very small frame so any weight gain is very obvious on me.

Like you, I wasn't a breakfast person.  For the last 2 weeks I have done my best to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at appropriate times.  This keeps your metabolism up.  Eating during the late evening is the worst thing you could do because you go to bed soon afterward and your food doesn't digest as efficiently as it could.  Start a food diary.  Write down everything you have during each meal.  It will make you realize just how much you are eating and help stop you from over-eating.  After you start to see positive results you'll think twice about eating at night with friends because you won't want to ruin all the progress you've made.   It's a reality check, not a diet so, you don't have to feel deprived of anything.  For me, a food diary has been a strong motivational tool.  Minimal excersize each day helps and I include that in the diary to really have a visual of all the effort I'm making.  I didn't immediately see any results which was disappointing but, today I was able to pull up a pair of slacks with ease.  I haven't done that in a while so it definitely works!

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last