Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 9, 2006, 11:11 pm CDT

Overeating

Quote From: balinese

I'm in your same boat right now.  I started gaining a little weight around 18.  Then I met my current boyfriend who loves to eat just as much as I do.  We are both social eaters the way you seem to be.  My weight went from 117 to 140 within a year of dating him.  I just turned 20 and am struggling not to gain anymore pounds.  I'm only 5'3" by the way and have a very small frame so any weight gain is very obvious on me.

Like you, I wasn't a breakfast person.  For the last 2 weeks I have done my best to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at appropriate times.  This keeps your metabolism up.  Eating during the late evening is the worst thing you could do because you go to bed soon afterward and your food doesn't digest as efficiently as it could.  Start a food diary.  Write down everything you have during each meal.  It will make you realize just how much you are eating and help stop you from over-eating.  After you start to see positive results you'll think twice about eating at night with friends because you won't want to ruin all the progress you've made.   It's a reality check, not a diet so, you don't have to feel deprived of anything.  For me, a food diary has been a strong motivational tool.  Minimal excersize each day helps and I include that in the diary to really have a visual of all the effort I'm making.  I didn't immediately see any results which was disappointing but, today I was able to pull up a pair of slacks with ease.  I haven't done that in a while so it definitely works!
I am 18 as well. Our society shows us that eating will make us happy, and that is why we become social eaters. I am also overweight due to social eating, and emotional eating. Social eating can also be caused by friends.  I know that at lunch with school, my friends used to hand food off to me, because they knew I would finish it. I wouldn't reject it in the worry that I would hurt their feelings, and well now I'm 20 lbs overweight. The biggest mistake I made was to hide my weight loss endeavours from my friends. Now I've told them that i'm serious about this and well they have stopped offering me food. Let them be honest with you, if they say "hey maybe you should." But keep up all the hard work, it will pay off, and as Dr Phil says "surround yourself with positive people

October 18, 2006, 10:44 pm CDT

Overeating

Quote From: reem1607

hi i am 18 years old and i started gaining weight since i was 15. i started with 6 pounds and now i am about 20 to 25 pounds overweight.  i have tried all sort of diet but nothing works. i had two successful major weight losses but i gained them back all again. i know what i have to do but i don't have the motivation to do it. i wake up every single day deciding that i am going to eat a lot less today but i end up eating a lot more.

I don't like eating in the mornings but i like eating at night because i go out with my friends and they all order hamburgers and sandwishes and i don't enjoy my evening unless i eat with them. I REALLY don't.

Sometimes i think that i  am a food addict and i give up or sometimes i think that one day scientists will invent this magic pill that will get me in shape again. i know i am lying to myself but i really am a lazy person.

The only way you can help me is by always motivating me and telling me things in a funny way or giving me motivational quotes.  All i need is one week of control and i think that i can be in charge of my body again.

THank u for this amazing site

Let your friends know that you don't enjoy the evening when you don't eat with them. Be honest about your weight loss endeavours. Good friends will understand. I have one friend and she knows that I am trying to lose weight. When we go out she always orders just water with me, and it helps to know there is someone who isn't eating. If the other friends say things like "that is stupid" or  "it's just a myth that you will gain weight if you eat later." She will go "ok well we need to go now"

And it is hard to get controll for that week, but stick reminders up. I have pictures of my family on the fridge and cupboards because they are the reason I am losing weight. That week can in fact help you lose weight. One week turns into two which turns into a month which turns into a year and so on. Good luck with your week of controll!!!!!

November 27, 2006, 1:31 pm CST

i hate the way i look

ok i am only 14 years old, a bit young i know. i went on weight watchers over the past summer & lost 20 lbs. (got me down to 130lbs) i was so happy and only want to keep it going. but than my mom started getting serious about everything and saying that i'm fat and you need to stick with my diet, which i was doing. i was getting so pissed at her i didnt talk to her for 2 months. now, 3, months later i gained 10 lbs back. (140lbs.) i feel terrible and i want to lose 20 more lbs so badly. im 5'3 and not exactly the skinnest amongst my friends. i am very athletic, i play on a travel tournament softball team and i run at least 2 miles 3 times a week + work out in my schools gym 2-3 times a week. for some reason i stay at my weight and i dont get why. i've tried puking a few times and it helps a bit but i feel i am constantly hungry and puking after meals isnt really want i want to do, since its discusting and very bad for you. i cant stand looking like this though and i cant sstand being the only one of my friends who has to joke around about my weight to hide my insequirity. does anyone have any tips for me?? i would really love the help.

December 1, 2006, 1:43 am CST

mind and body CD's

Has anyone bought these that were mentioned on the show a while back?  They are supposed to help with weight loss, depression, and stuff.......Developed by Dr. Lawlis!  Just wanted to know if they helped. 

December 6, 2006, 5:17 pm CST

Overeating

i am 14 years old an i have been overweight for a while,a lot of the time i act like it does not bother me  but sometimes when it comes up in school its hard to forget. sometimes though it would be nice for someone(guy)to see past that and accept me for the way i am.don't get me wrong there are guys who i am friends with and can talk to but i just wanna be accepted like other people.

December 23, 2006, 9:57 am CST

Your feelings are normal

Quote From: rockstar_wanab

i am 14 years old an i have been overweight for a while,a lot of the time i act like it does not bother me  but sometimes when it comes up in school its hard to forget. sometimes though it would be nice for someone(guy)to see past that and accept me for the way i am.don't get me wrong there are guys who i am friends with and can talk to but i just wanna be accepted like other people.

And even adults here have posted how they feel almost angry when, after losing weight, they are treated with more respect or get positive attention and approval from the opposite sex just because the outside "envelope" has changed.  They are angry they didn't get the same attention when fat.

My feeling is, however, that your outside envelope isn't "nothing".   You have worth and are a creature of God no matter your appearance.   But your desireability as a MATE includes how healthy you are and if you have enough respect for yourself to take care of your physical self.

Learning to invest in your appearance will have to include an acceptance of the fact that health and good grooming are not all about the external.   Others may stay jerky, no matter what they do,  but you CAN get yourself to a healthy weight.   You don't have to be some perfect Barbie to be accepted by others or to have your positive qualities noticed.  But you do have to put some effort into yourself.

January 27, 2007, 5:02 pm CST

Be smart

Quote From: chrissyxo377

ok i am only 14 years old, a bit young i know. i went on weight watchers over the past summer & lost 20 lbs. (got me down to 130lbs) i was so happy and only want to keep it going. but than my mom started getting serious about everything and saying that i'm fat and you need to stick with my diet, which i was doing. i was getting so pissed at her i didnt talk to her for 2 months. now, 3, months later i gained 10 lbs back. (140lbs.) i feel terrible and i want to lose 20 more lbs so badly. im 5'3 and not exactly the skinnest amongst my friends. i am very athletic, i play on a travel tournament softball team and i run at least 2 miles 3 times a week + work out in my schools gym 2-3 times a week. for some reason i stay at my weight and i dont get why. i've tried puking a few times and it helps a bit but i feel i am constantly hungry and puking after meals isnt really want i want to do, since its discusting and very bad for you. i cant stand looking like this though and i cant sstand being the only one of my friends who has to joke around about my weight to hide my insequirity. does anyone have any tips for me?? i would really love the help.

Hi

First of all, lose weight for yourself not for your mother.  Second, everyone has an ideal weight.  You have to find yours.  This ideal weight, will come when you have healthy eating habits and an active lifestyle. 

I have battled my weight for all of my 32 years.  Up, down, fat (250), skinny (125), I can say now with confidence that I'm at my ideal weight.  5'8, 140 and about 19% body fat.  There is no trick to it.  Burn more calories than you take in. 

Now I'm not saying don't eat a thing and sit on the couch all day,  I'm saying lots of protein, fruit and vegetables, and only some chocolate.  And exercise.  2-3 times a week is OK for keeping your heart healthy but to turn fat into muscle you need to be exercising with an elevated heart rate for 45-60 min 5 times a week.  Lifting weights 2-3 times a week to increase muscle mass.  We all know that muscle burns more calories.

Now, your only 14, enjoy being a kid.  You'll have plenty of time to obsess about your weight after 30.

January 29, 2007, 4:57 pm CST

Overeating

hey there im 15 years old im 5'7 and i way 150 pounds.i use to be so careful bout how i ate cause my old boyfriends so i didnt really ever eat.but i am dattin this one guy now for 8 months and i feel comfortable round him i actually eat,but the bad thing is now i can stop i cant get back on a diet or anything cause i got so off track so now i keep gaining weight back my ideal weight that i always wanted to be is 130 lbs i need help bad to get back on track and to eat healthy and so ill feel good bout myself..i know im young and i shouldnt worry bout these things but its so hard being a teenager and not feeling good bout yourself or looking good..people always tell me im so pretty i could be a model if i only lost weight but i cant seem too so please anyone help me..thanks

shannon

January 31, 2007, 12:49 pm CST

Question

Quote From: cryinpain

hey there im 15 years old im 5'7 and i way 150 pounds.i use to be so careful bout how i ate cause my old boyfriends so i didnt really ever eat.but i am dattin this one guy now for 8 months and i feel comfortable round him i actually eat,but the bad thing is now i can stop i cant get back on a diet or anything cause i got so off track so now i keep gaining weight back my ideal weight that i always wanted to be is 130 lbs i need help bad to get back on track and to eat healthy and so ill feel good bout myself..i know im young and i shouldnt worry bout these things but its so hard being a teenager and not feeling good bout yourself or looking good..people always tell me im so pretty i could be a model if i only lost weight but i cant seem too so please anyone help me..thanks

shannon

There is a happy medium between "never eating" and overeating.   You know you don't have to resort to "never eating" to being a healthy weight person.   What do YOU think is the difficulty.  Do you have any idea why you are heavier than you would wish?  Are you, in fact,  abusing food?  Are you just resistant to going back to the self denial and pain of "never eating"?

Instead of jumping back on some kind of reducing plan,   why don't you concentrate on eating for fuel... lighter, healthier, high nutrition meals that give you the energy a young person needs to get through the day.   Add some excercise that adds lean muscle mass, like weight training - a few minutes a few days a week is all that takes... and  don't indulge in sitting around scarfing down large quantities of food for entertainment.   that's a habit you can lose for life.

January 31, 2007, 4:49 pm CST

It wil take more than that

Quote From: swchick

There is a happy medium between "never eating" and overeating.   You know you don't have to resort to "never eating" to being a healthy weight person.   What do YOU think is the difficulty.  Do you have any idea why you are heavier than you would wish?  Are you, in fact,  abusing food?  Are you just resistant to going back to the self denial and pain of "never eating"?

Instead of jumping back on some kind of reducing plan,   why don't you concentrate on eating for fuel... lighter, healthier, high nutrition meals that give you the energy a young person needs to get through the day.   Add some excercise that adds lean muscle mass, like weight training - a few minutes a few days a week is all that takes... and  don't indulge in sitting around scarfing down large quantities of food for entertainment.   that's a habit you can lose for life.

I love that you told her to exercise but it takes more than a "few minutes a few times a week".  Bottom line, and I'll say it over and over, you need to burn more than you are taking in.  For an average person to do that, It will take 30-60 minutes of cardio 4-6 times a week with weight training 2-3 times a week.  When I say cardio I don't mean sprinting uphill for an hour.  Start off by walking a few miles.  Work your way up to the full hour.  It is a long process and takes work and commitment.  I know, I've been there.

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last