Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2006, 1:42 am CST

ultimate weight solution

Hi all, 

my name is May and i just enrolled myself to be able to participate in the message board. 

i am 6.3 and weigh 213; i have bought Dr. Phil's book (The Ultimate Weight Solution); i didnt really start any diet as i think that i have to work on the keys first. 

does anyone finds difficulty applyying Dr. Phil method to overcome some of the problem that make us not succeeding in loosing weight? 

for example, when i get hangry i forget everything Dr. Phil said about choosing good food quality.  

or how to controle eating urges, i am getting the high yield food; however, i crave the pastas and sweet, and i feel that i am deprived from them and sooner or later i will just jump on the bread and pastas. ive always do that... 

any thoughts guys??? 

thank you  

mayola  

January 2, 2006, 8:22 am CST

it's hard

Quote From: mayolah

Hi all, 

my name is May and i just enrolled myself to be able to participate in the message board. 

i am 6.3 and weigh 213; i have bought Dr. Phil's book (The Ultimate Weight Solution); i didnt really start any diet as i think that i have to work on the keys first. 

does anyone finds difficulty applyying Dr. Phil method to overcome some of the problem that make us not succeeding in loosing weight? 

for example, when i get hangry i forget everything Dr. Phil said about choosing good food quality.  

or how to controle eating urges, i am getting the high yield food; however, i crave the pastas and sweet, and i feel that i am deprived from them and sooner or later i will just jump on the bread and pastas. ive always do that... 

any thoughts guys??? 

thank you  

mayola  

I did the Dr.Phil weight solution about 2 years ago, when it first came out and I lost about 15 lbs. and then I let a lot of other stuff in my life affect my weight loss efforts. I gained back the 15 and a few more. I struggle with the same things you do, such as when it comes time to eat, sometimes I just dive in and completely forget everything and don't even think about it until I am sitting there wanting to undo my pants afterward. I have learned that it really helps if you can sit down at the beginning of each week, or even every few days, and write down ahead of time what you will be having. That way when it is time to eat, you'll know already that you're having salad and tuna instead of a burger and fries. I know this has been common knowledge for a while , but I just started doing it and it has really helped me. About the sweets and breads and pastas, you can have them, but you just have to limit them. I read something yesterday that I think I will apply to my diet; this woman says she allows herself 200 calories of whatever she wants daily. I think it all comes down to figuring out what will work for you and your diet goals. If you sit down and write down some things that have worked in the past for you and things that you think might help now, just doing that can be really motivating and put you on the right track to give it a try again. I guess I'm trying to say that what has worked for other people may not work for you and it is a journey not a destination and definitely a trial and error process. If something isn't working for you, try something else. As long as you are doing something to be and do  better, that is all anybody can do, really. And remember to exercise. It is much easier to pass up the cake if you just spent an hour sweating.

January 2, 2006, 2:15 pm CST

Have you done these things?

Quote From: mayolah

Hi all, 

any thoughts guys??? 

thank you  

mayola  

Did you clear the impulse out of your kitchen? Out of sight, out of mind.
Are you staying ahead of the hunger cycle? It's crucial at first to eat small amounts at regular intervals. 6 small meals a day shrinks your stomach and keeps you from getting too hungry and then being vulnerable to bingeing.
Do you have a list of things to do when the impulse hits to eat and you know it's in response to a trigger other than true hunger? Good alternative activities are taking a shower or bath, painting your nails, taking a walk, or anything that you enjoy that you can't eat while doing.
And lastly, if you DO succumb to the urge, eat far less of the food than you would like and throw the rest out. And don't beat yourself up about it, we all make mistakes. Just forgive yourself and get back in the game.
 Best of luck!

January 2, 2006, 8:49 pm CST

Overeating

Quote From: ritehere

Did you clear the impulse out of your kitchen? Out of sight, out of mind.
Are you staying ahead of the hunger cycle? It's crucial at first to eat small amounts at regular intervals. 6 small meals a day shrinks your stomach and keeps you from getting too hungry and then being vulnerable to bingeing.
Do you have a list of things to do when the impulse hits to eat and you know it's in response to a trigger other than true hunger? Good alternative activities are taking a shower or bath, painting your nails, taking a walk, or anything that you enjoy that you can't eat while doing.
And lastly, if you DO succumb to the urge, eat far less of the food than you would like and throw the rest out. And don't beat yourself up about it, we all make mistakes. Just forgive yourself and get back in the game.
 Best of luck!

Hi there May  

This is my very first time on the message board.  I have also just bought the weight lose book by Dr.Phil I am finding it a struggle to stay motivated I find myself bored and trying not to eat..    

I Know if I just believe in myself anything is possible ..          

Ellie_3 

January 7, 2006, 11:52 am CST

Holidays are over,

Well, it's time to get back to the routine. I've been working out more and (usually) eating better. I've found though that the chocolates my husband keeps in his special cabinet are beginning to call my name. I had some last night, and some ice cream the night before.
So, it's time for drastic action. My daughter and her family are coming over today, I'm going to serve the offending foods, and whatever doesn't get eaten up today or taken home with them, will get tossed. The candy has been in there awhile and hubby will never eat it. I've seen candy get moldy and hard as a rock because it doesn't affect him like it does me.
Sometimes I've been tempted to think that he does this just to torture me, but it's irrelevant. Whatever his reasons, it's still up to me to do something about my eating the stuff.
OUT IT GOES!

January 8, 2006, 8:30 pm CST

Eating Eating that is all I seem to do!

Quote From: ritehere

Well, it's time to get back to the routine. I've been working out more and (usually) eating better. I've found though that the chocolates my husband keeps in his special cabinet are beginning to call my name. I had some last night, and some ice cream the night before.
So, it's time for drastic action. My daughter and her family are coming over today, I'm going to serve the offending foods, and whatever doesn't get eaten up today or taken home with them, will get tossed. The candy has been in there awhile and hubby will never eat it. I've seen candy get moldy and hard as a rock because it doesn't affect him like it does me.
Sometimes I've been tempted to think that he does this just to torture me, but it's irrelevant. Whatever his reasons, it's still up to me to do something about my eating the stuff.
OUT IT GOES!

If I could only figure out a way to controll the urges to open the fridge and have one of those and one of those... I am telling you  it is most defenitly not hunger.. It's just so hard christmas all the chocolates and the cookies and the cakes. I swear I have absolutley no WILL POWER at all. I t is time to once again rid the fridge of all those foods that make the challenge that much harder.. Get back to being who I want to be.                                                       

To all of those on the same path I wish you luck! 

January 9, 2006, 11:13 am CST

My husband is over wieght

My husband has been over wieght our intier marriage.He wasn't that way when we were dating but a month after he asked me to marry him he went on a eating beng.He promised me before we our wedding date he would lose the wight.But instead he gaind so much wieght he had to have his tuxe refitted three time then the last time they just could do it so he got onther one that looked so bad on him and it wasn't even the color .His own mother died from her obesity she was 500lbs when she died.I cant' get through to him that this is not healthy for him.he just sits all day at work then comes home and sits and eats.He will even get up in the middle of the night to eat.We bough New funiture for the first time in 22 years and the love seat is broken.When he sat on it the springs broke he cant' just sit he plops down.I was so up sit at him.But he cant' even egkowlgae it was his fault.Know he wont' sit on that side of the love seat he makes me sit on that side saying the broken spring makes his back hurt.He complains his chest hurts when he does any fisical activite.he snores and stops breathing at night and tells me it  is my imagination.It have to leave the room to get any sleep.When we have sex we can anly do it in one position cause he has nearly smothered my to death and hurt my hipos and legs and back.I can't get him to lose wieght he says he is not fat his whole family is germany and this is how they all were and are.That is a very true statemant for his mother side.He has tried many diets and they last one day.He even took out a acount at a jim so he could exserise and never once went what a waist then he bought a runnig machine and it was used as a coat rake for two years I got made a sold it to a friend who lost 20 ponds because she uses it.He went to a doctor who told him he really needed to lose wieght and told him he had really high colestrol.He got the med..It sits on the floor in our room,He never even took on.He told me It was my fault because he can't remeber to take pills.and that he didn't think he needed them anyway.His blood presure is high to from what I was told.He is 6ft.and weighs 295 punds.That wieght is from seveal years ago.I am not sure what ie wighs know.He said he won't get on a scale cause it doesnt' matter what he wieghs he says he is fine.I wish I could get him to lose wieght.How can I get him to do it IF he is in complet denial of his own problem.The rest of our family does not have a weight problem.I wiegh 130 poudns at 5ft 4in. and the kids our at the apropriate wieght for thier age and hight.Iam not sure how to get through to him that this is not health.When he came from a gfamily of over wiehgt people.His oun anut was over for dinner and got upset at my kids cause they didn't pile on the food and eat three helpings.I don't want to lose him because he wont' take care of himself But I have to admit I have given up on him.I can't even admit he has a problem.So what should I do To help him????

January 9, 2006, 1:40 pm CST

You can't do it for him...

Quote From: debrasatt

My husband has been over wieght our intier marriage.He wasn't that way when we were dating but a month after he asked me to marry him he went on a eating beng.He promised me before we our wedding date he would lose the wight.But instead he gaind so much wieght he had to have his tuxe refitted three time then the last time they just could do it so he got onther one that looked so bad on him and it wasn't even the color .His own mother died from her obesity she was 500lbs when she died.I cant' get through to him that this is not healthy for him.he just sits all day at work then comes home and sits and eats.He will even get up in the middle of the night to eat.We bough New funiture for the first time in 22 years and the love seat is broken.When he sat on it the springs broke he cant' just sit he plops down.I was so up sit at him.But he cant' even egkowlgae it was his fault.Know he wont' sit on that side of the love seat he makes me sit on that side saying the broken spring makes his back hurt.He complains his chest hurts when he does any fisical activite.he snores and stops breathing at night and tells me it  is my imagination.It have to leave the room to get any sleep.When we have sex we can anly do it in one position cause he has nearly smothered my to death and hurt my hipos and legs and back.I can't get him to lose wieght he says he is not fat his whole family is germany and this is how they all were and are.That is a very true statemant for his mother side.He has tried many diets and they last one day.He even took out a acount at a jim so he could exserise and never once went what a waist then he bought a runnig machine and it was used as a coat rake for two years I got made a sold it to a friend who lost 20 ponds because she uses it.He went to a doctor who told him he really needed to lose wieght and told him he had really high colestrol.He got the med..It sits on the floor in our room,He never even took on.He told me It was my fault because he can't remeber to take pills.and that he didn't think he needed them anyway.His blood presure is high to from what I was told.He is 6ft.and weighs 295 punds.That wieght is from seveal years ago.I am not sure what ie wighs know.He said he won't get on a scale cause it doesnt' matter what he wieghs he says he is fine.I wish I could get him to lose wieght.How can I get him to do it IF he is in complet denial of his own problem.The rest of our family does not have a weight problem.I wiegh 130 poudns at 5ft 4in. and the kids our at the apropriate wieght for thier age and hight.Iam not sure how to get through to him that this is not health.When he came from a gfamily of over wiehgt people.His oun anut was over for dinner and got upset at my kids cause they didn't pile on the food and eat three helpings.I don't want to lose him because he wont' take care of himself But I have to admit I have given up on him.I can't even admit he has a problem.So what should I do To help him????

I understand that  you feel real concern for your husband and his health. You want him to be around for your future together and to be happier and healthier and lead a better life, but he has to be the one to decide to do that. If he says he doesn't have a problem, he's not going to do anything about it because like Dr. Phil always says "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." If he won't accept that his weight is at an unhealthy level, there isn't much you can do. You could try a few things like: 

If you are the person who does the grocery shopping, then you can control the food that comes into the house and if there isn't any junk in the house to eat, then he can't eat it.  

Ask him to go for walks with you and your children around the neighborhood 

Cook his favorite foods, but make healthier versions. You can find any recipe you want for free on the internet. 

I am guessing that you have told him how you feel about his weight already. If I were you, I would be very sensitive and understanding with this issue when talking to him about it. I would bet money that he really does know that his weight is a problem, but it is easier for him to have denial and pretend he is fine. If you do talk to him about it again, instead of harping on him about how much he weighs, tell him how this makes you feel. For example, you could say that you are scared when you look into the future and worry that he won't be around to share the rest of your life and your kids lives and that it hurts you to see him this way, when you know he could be much happier and healthier and this way he won't feel judged or attacked and he will probably be more likely to really listen instead of tuning you out when the subject comes up. Here's to hoping your husband your husband comes around very soon. Good Luck!! 

January 9, 2006, 5:28 pm CST

new year new habits

Hi, my name is Lissette and I am starting the new year with dr. Phil's diet plan. i have his book, and i'm ready to go. I bought the book 4 months ago. and at the time i even said, i won't do this till the new year. I'm not sure why i didn't start as soon as i got the book, but i didn't. yes my house is empty of temptations. and the house is full of healthy snacks. i think that will help me alot! because i do go scavenging when the kids bed time rolls around. after baths and bed, i get this sigh of relief and then i feel i have to reward myself with some food. i get excited about that time of day. but when the kids go off to bed, it's just me. and i have these fantasies of "tonite i'll read that book i bought" but i don't. i get lazy and i close the book. i go get a bowl of left overs and watch t.v.  

soooo, anyone have any advice on how to kick that habit?  

well as of now, my only solution is to not have left overs. and to cook only what i know we'll eat. and the other is i have a nice cup of decaf coffee with non fat cream. i looove coffee, and maybe a coffee with some fat free popcorn would be healthier than what i've been doing. btw i never crave sweets, infact i hate em. i'm worst! yes worst than sugar cravings, i get salt cravings. i will make an egg with toast if i get the munchies!! forget the ice cream give me toast! and how can i get rid of bread and eggs, when it's in the house for breakfast ?  

Lissette 

January 10, 2006, 10:12 am CST

Quote From: amyec22

I understand that  you feel real concern for your husband and his health. You want him to be around for your future together and to be happier and healthier and lead a better life, but he has to be the one to decide to do that. If he says he doesn't have a problem, he's not going to do anything about it because like Dr. Phil always says "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." If he won't accept that his weight is at an unhealthy level, there isn't much you can do. You could try a few things like: 

If you are the person who does the grocery shopping, then you can control the food that comes into the house and if there isn't any junk in the house to eat, then he can't eat it.  

Ask him to go for walks with you and your children around the neighborhood 

Cook his favorite foods, but make healthier versions. You can find any recipe you want for free on the internet. 

I am guessing that you have told him how you feel about his weight already. If I were you, I would be very sensitive and understanding with this issue when talking to him about it. I would bet money that he really does know that his weight is a problem, but it is easier for him to have denial and pretend he is fine. If you do talk to him about it again, instead of harping on him about how much he weighs, tell him how this makes you feel. For example, you could say that you are scared when you look into the future and worry that he won't be around to share the rest of your life and your kids lives and that it hurts you to see him this way, when you know he could be much happier and healthier and this way he won't feel judged or attacked and he will probably be more likely to really listen instead of tuning you out when the subject comes up. Here's to hoping your husband your husband comes around very soon. Good Luck!! 

I am the one who shops but if I don't get it he just goes and gets it.He can sit and eat more ice cream then I can eat.Half a galin a night.I do fix healthy meals but he goes and gets what he wants to eat at a fast food reaturant.He does have money.When I try to talk to him about his problem I do tell him I want him around for a while after the kids are gone.I do tell him I do not want to be taking care of him I have seen my mom go through that with my dad after his stroke .I want to be able to do amethings with him not visiting him in a nursing home or at a grave sight.He just says I don't have a problem my mom side of the family was fat they all lived til their 60 and did just fine.Quite making a big deal out of this and leave me alone.So one day after a talk I got really mad and told him that I was not taking care of him if something did happen because of his wiehgt.I had better things to do with my life then to sit and bath and push him around.He said he didn't care.So the last year I have said nothing to him. but cook healthy meals and tell him not to wake me up if he goes for one of his nightly food runs.and not to eat in our bed.I dont put the ice cream he likes on our gerocery list I pick up some for the kids.Thiers last two weeks cause he doesn't like it.But then he just goes out and picks up what he likes.He is right his moms side of the family is obess even his cousins kids and thier kids our.one 10 yearold looks like she is about 120 pounds.she wears bigger size clother then my 17 yearold does.He tells me that all germans pure germans are big people.He is pure german Lutheran.His brother his only full brother emailed him a year ago and said he had to lose wieght because he has a heart condition and that it is hereditary coming from thier moms side of the family.So he know lives a heathy life.My h just looked at me when I asked him about it and said so what there is nothing wrong with me.I hate diets and I don't need to changfe what I eat Iam fine.If i did you want make me stay on it I can't do anything like that cause you never do it for me.Meaning I have to make sure he is staying on the progam I am not his mom I never wanted to be his mom.I married a man not a boy.I have three kids with disabilites I din't want a fourth kid why can't he be a man and do this for hisself I just take what ever support I can give him and be a man and not rely on me to chase him around and make aure he does what he is supose to do.Like take his med.The day he came to me and said you forgot to tell me I was supose to start taking this med. it is your fault I didn't I looked at him and said not that is your responsility not mine I take my thiroid meds with out your help why can't you.So they just sit on his side of the bed.I wont do it for him I can't lose the wieght for him.I won't sit around and take care of him after the kids are gone becuse he would take care of himself.I have a life to go on with I have done my job rasing our kids.I want to go out and have some fun after they are gone with or with out him.I won't be like my mom who for the last five years has taken full time care of my dad pushing him around bathing him changeing him and so on.I can't and I wont'.Not becuse he refuses to do what he needs to do to live a health life.I would be thier for him if it was because of somethign unforsene.Not because of something he could have done something about.Does any one understand this.I am not a bad perosn.I just think it is unfair for him to do this tohimself and expect me to be thier to pick up the peices.I have done everthing to get it throught to him,That I love him but I am not his mom but his wife I want a life not to be his caretaker becuse he is to stubrin and proud to take care of himslef and thinking I will be thier to take care of him no matter how he abuses his body.I don't want to wast away my older years like my mom.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last