Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2006, 3:04 pm CST

Sleep Apnea??

You all should check to see if you have sleep apnea...that COULD be the cause of overweight. I'm told thats mine. I've had a sleep study done and mine is bad. So, I'm getting a c-pap machine. Sleep apnea can cause a hole host of problems...

February 19, 2006, 12:36 pm CST

Yep, sleep apnea can cause problems

Quote From: kissymouth

You all should check to see if you have sleep apnea...that COULD be the cause of overweight. I'm told thats mine. I've had a sleep study done and mine is bad. So, I'm getting a c-pap machine. Sleep apnea can cause a hole host of problems...
 I was diagnosed with apnea 5 years ago. I was on a C-PAP for about a year. It helped tremendously with energy and alertness. I actually felt like getting some exercise and being more active without having to take naps afterwards. I lost 50lbs because of it, hypnotherapy, diet and exercise and no longer needed it. However, now that I don't need the machine at night, I'm beginning to feel sluggish again. I've slowly gained some weight back too because of it. So, my question is this: was my weight gain partially due to the apnea? and do I still need some help even though I don't need the machine anymore? Recently I've read reports of research that indicates apnea may be caused by thyroid problems. In the past my doctor has said that my thyroid is fine, but it runs in my family. So maybe I need it checked again.
In the meantime, enjoy the increased energy and wonderful sleep you're going to get! It helped me to realize what I was missing in life and not to be so hopeless. Sometimes you have to keep looking until you find the answer.

February 28, 2006, 1:22 pm CST

me 2

Quote From: okbyme

I want to try and relate to people here; to feel like I am not weird for having an eating disorder, like my husband says.  I overeat, compulsively and emotionally, for a number of reasons.  I want to see what other people here are going through. 

What's happening in your life to make you overeat? 

If you've tried counseling for your overeating, has it helped? 

Do you think that Dr Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution helped you?  I found that it didn't really cover compulsive overeating.  I realize that people need to step up and take responsibility for what they eat, but how do you do that when you're a food addict?  It's hard to replace the behavior when one's life seems impossible to manage. 

If you've been to OA, how did it go?  I don't feel it is right for me, though I am not sure what is. 

If you've conquered overeating, what has been your redemption or how do you manage it? 

Ive been losing weight in my stomach. I can't eat nearly as much as I used to. But I still keep trying to stuff myself! I HATE that feeling (like my stomach is going to explode). I just don't understand  why I keep doing that to myself! I'm going to have to reevaluate every single bite I take. I really do eat emotionally. I hope I can get a handle on it soon.

March 16, 2006, 4:27 pm CST

just wondering

i dont actually know if i have an eating disorder or not but maybe someone can give me some advice. I have never sought any type of help from a doctor.  My problem is that i eat all day long even ehen iam not hungry. Everytime i go out somewhere the first thing i think about is where i can go to get some fast food. I eat late at night and i know it is wrong, even while iam eating iam telling myself to stop but i cant. I dont know what to do???????????

March 17, 2006, 7:54 am CST

What kinds of foods are you attracted to?

Quote From: schevi24

i dont actually know if i have an eating disorder or not but maybe someone can give me some advice. I have never sought any type of help from a doctor.  My problem is that i eat all day long even ehen iam not hungry. Everytime i go out somewhere the first thing i think about is where i can go to get some fast food. I eat late at night and i know it is wrong, even while iam eating iam telling myself to stop but i cant. I dont know what to do???????????
 Sugar has an addicting quality to it, as does starches like breads and pasta. If you find that you crave sweets, breads, and starches, you could be addicted to sugar. (All carbs break down into simple sugars in our system, so when you take sugary foods out of your diet, like pop, candy and desserts, you will start to crave breads,cereals, and starches.)
If you have hypo-glycemia, the condition where you must eat every 3 hours or less or you get shaky, sick, and a headache, it's possible that you have a systemic yeast infection. When this occurs you will also crave sweets, breads, and starches, as yeast feeds on these. It's very hard to find out if you have a yeast problem because most doctors will talk you out of the test for it, it's expensive and alot of insurance companies won't pay for it. Fortunately, yeast is easily got rid of by changing your diet and there are other remedies too. If you suspect this, read up on yeast (candidiasis).
Once you have eliminated biological reasons for eating all the time, there's the mental reasons. If you use food as a comfort or coping mechanism, which is what most of us do, it takes some reflection, attention, and stick-to-it-iveness on your part to root out and replace your habits with new ones.
Get the doctor's book-ULTIMATE WEIGHT SOLUTION. He goes into depth with our mental pitfalls.

March 17, 2006, 11:06 pm CST

Sleep

March 17, 2006, 11:59 pm CST

Sleep Apnea

Hello everyone . I was reading the postings on sleep apnea. I too have this. I have had a sleep study done and use a c-pap machine. Yes I was told it can cause you to gain weight. Ubstructive sleep apnea is when your airway is blocked due  to your anatomy.Mine is because the base of my tounge is abnormally wide and my airway is smaller than normal. When I fall asleep my tounge relaxes and cuts off my oxygen supply. It can get really low. This can be dangerous for a number of reasons. I have high blood pressure and if I don't use my machine My blood pressure can go up higher. I also have short term memory loss, headachs' so bad that nothing will make them go away. This is because of the lack of oxygen. Also being very drowsy and this can be dangerous if you are driving or have to operate machinery. Before I found out why I had sleep apnea I kept gaining weight for what seemed to me no reason, I do eat for emotional reasons but I kept telling myself something wasn't right. I was to the point I couldn't hardly function. I would drive home and sit in the driveway in my car and sleep for an hour because I was so tired I just had to close my eyes and sleep before I could go in the house. I also was having back and knee problems,depression anxiety,and not sleeping caused a lot of physcial pain. I finally had to stop working and go on social security. I took an early retirement. Not being able to work really amplyphied everything.  

Fineally after using the c-pap system everynight I can really tell the difference. I have lost 32lbs this past year. That is a start of the 100 lbs I gained when my oldest daughter passed away of  terminal brain cancer.There are so many factors that contribute to weight gain,that any one solution so far doesn't seem to exsist. I try to eat as healthy as I can afford to. If I overeat I try to start over. I also go to a weight loss support group called T.O.P.S. Take Off Pounds Sensibly. You can use your own food plan that works for you it is not expensive,people really care ,and there are all over the US and Canada. I would recommend  this group to any one who could go. I have made some friends and recieved good support and encouragement. I have worked in Dietary in Nursing Homes and for 18 years in Dietary in a hospital and know how to eat right and yet I still make food a comforting companion a lot of the time. I have over come a lot of obsticals in my time but weight is one that is so hard to conquer. I feel we all need to encourage those of us who struggle  with these issues and try to give our self a break and keep keeping on. Because for me to quit could  be disasterious.  

So I keep trying each day to do the best I can,and hope I can be good to myself if I eat something someone else thinks because I have a weight problem I don't deserve to eat it!!! I may be over weight right now but some mean spirits are forever. Thanks for having somewhere that some of us can share our thoughts to get and recieve support,understanding and comfort in like minded souls. 

March 20, 2006, 12:47 pm CST

What's Wrong

I just ate 16 candy bars and threw up.  Why does this happen?  Can someone give me some advise on how to control such urges?  I need to stop this habit.

March 21, 2006, 7:18 am CST

Good question- "why?"

Quote From: lucky0313

I just ate 16 candy bars and threw up.  Why does this happen?  Can someone give me some advise on how to control such urges?  I need to stop this habit.
 Maybe it's time to admit that you need help from a qualified individual or entity? You might want to try the "Eating Disorders/Obesity" board for others with this exact problem.
I wish you well, and hope you find your answers.

March 22, 2006, 3:18 pm CST

Overeating

Sometimes I will eat an entire frozen pizza for lunch when my husband isn't home and then hide the box.  I don't know why I do this, when much less would satisfy my craving for pizza.  It seems I go in spurts and will eat sensibly for a week or so and stick to my exercise plan and then I go off and overeat and then start over again.  I can't break this cycle and have to find something to help me stay on track and not eat like that.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last