Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 22, 2006, 5:35 pm CST

Dr Phil's book

Quote From: rosietoes1

Sometimes I will eat an entire frozen pizza for lunch when my husband isn't home and then hide the box.  I don't know why I do this, when much less would satisfy my craving for pizza.  It seems I go in spurts and will eat sensibly for a week or so and stick to my exercise plan and then I go off and overeat and then start over again.  I can't break this cycle and have to find something to help me stay on track and not eat like that.
 THE ULTIMATE WEIGHT SOLUTION goes into this subject. It all has to do with our attitude about food and eating. I can't say why you might do this, but alot of my binge eating was emotional. I would do well for awhile, and then will power would get low and I'd give in to some stupid thing I'd whisper to myself like "I feel deprived" or "one won't hurt". Yeah, one WON'T hurt, but one is the crack in the dam that lets the whole thing go. Then I would feel bad and eat to cope with the bad feelings, and round and round I'd go.
The trick is in programming your environment because will power doesn't last.

April 11, 2006, 11:54 pm CDT

How do I socialize without all the food?

April 11, 2006, 11:59 pm CDT

How do I socialize without all the food?

I recently retired and moved to a small town where all socializing is done over covered dish dinners.  It appears to be the only way to meet people here.  I feel that I am constantly faced with the challenge to overeat or have no friends.  Do I avoid all functions and become a hermit?

April 12, 2006, 2:17 pm CDT

IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Quote From: rosietoes1

Sometimes I will eat an entire frozen pizza for lunch when my husband isn't home and then hide the box.  I don't know why I do this, when much less would satisfy my craving for pizza.  It seems I go in spurts and will eat sensibly for a week or so and stick to my exercise plan and then I go off and overeat and then start over again.  I can't break this cycle and have to find something to help me stay on track and not eat like that.

I KNOW THE FEELING I DO THE SAME THINGS SOMETIMES BUT NOT A WHOLE PIZZA MAYBE HALF BUT IT'S STILL NOT GOOD I JUST NEED HELP TO GET ON A DIET AND STICK WIT IT BUT IT'S HARD FOR ME I NEED SOME HELP OR MOTIVATION I GUESS BECAUSE I M GETTIN MARRIED SOON AND I NEED TO LOSE AT LEAST 30 TO 40 POUNDS BEFORE FEB. 17TH 2007. SO IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT I DON'T KNOW YOU BUT I HAVE YOU BACK.  

May 1, 2006, 11:39 am CDT

THERE ARE WAYS

Quote From: rarybaby

I've been overweight since my childhood, now i've got three kids my stomach looks like i'm still 6 months pregnant. I'm 30 and can't fit into sexy clothes I always have to buy baggy clothes so that I can hide my bulging stomach. In my province we don't have gyms nearby worst I can't afford to attend the ones in another town as it is far from where I live. I really have lost hope of ever seeing myself in a tight t-shirt. I've even thought about having a tummy tuck but I can't afford it too so TRUELY i'm lost. This makes me unhappy. I have no idea who to turn to at this point.

YOU CAN HELP YOUR SELF, IT`S NOT EASY BUT I HAVE FOUND THE PROGRAM OF  

DENISE AUSTIN ON TV IS A EASY  WAY TO MERGE INTO AN EXCERIZE PROGRAM IT PRETTY MILD ON YOUR PART THERE ARE A LOT OF SHOWS IN THE LIVING ROOM OF YOUR HOME TO START WITH.  

May 4, 2006, 11:43 am CDT

How to be supportive spouse

I would love some advice about how to be a supportive spouse in my husband's weight loss or maybe weight gain.  He has slowly, but steadily, been putting on weight since we were married 10 yrs ago.  I worry b/c his family has a history of obesity along with many severely overweight health issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, blood clots, heart problems, etc.)  He has tried very hard to help his own family with their weight problems (without much result) but he thinks that b/c he's not as overweight as they are, he's not in danger.  I try to offer healthy food and don't buy junk food, but the minute he's out of the house and can have lunch with work buddies, or we go to dinner with friends, he picks the worse things on the menu.  He has very little time to exercise but could make time if it were a priority so he doesn't get any exercise at all.  I have tried being nice about it, I've also said some not so nice things b/c I get so frustrated with him.  He tells me to be supportive, but when he doesn't try to lose the weight, I tend to get less supportive after a while.  Then he won't tell me "how" to be suportive when I ask what i can do.  I love him to death, but I'm becoming less attracted to him.  I just see him to caring for himself.  I welcome any advice that I can use to help him.  BTW, he "wants" to lose the weight, he just doesn't want to give up eating healthier and doesn't want to exercise.  Thx!  

May 17, 2006, 8:54 am CDT

Overeating

Im almost a pro atlethe, but i have the urge to overeat, even to the point that i get sick! I have my healthy days in which i can controle myself, but as soon as nobody is watching, i grab all the food in my reach. If i only have healthy food in my house, I will even go out to the store, just to buy unhealthy things.  

I'm a little overweight, but that little is enough for me to be slower than others in my team. Im really want to lose weight, but I dont know how to controle the urge! 

Can anybody give me advice on this??? 

May 18, 2006, 11:44 am CDT

Notice patterns

Quote From: desperada

Im almost a pro atlethe, but i have the urge to overeat, even to the point that i get sick! I have my healthy days in which i can controle myself, but as soon as nobody is watching, i grab all the food in my reach. If i only have healthy food in my house, I will even go out to the store, just to buy unhealthy things.  

I'm a little overweight, but that little is enough for me to be slower than others in my team. Im really want to lose weight, but I dont know how to controle the urge! 

Can anybody give me advice on this??? 

You need to tune into yourself. Notice what is going on around you or what goes through your head when you decide to overeat. Stress of all kinds is my bogey. Next  time you find yourself heading for the refrigerator, take a moment to think. If you do this consistently, you will identify patterns to your binges. Also pay attention to mindless eating- munching while watching TV. It's amazing how much you can consume when you're not thinking.
Once you recognise your trouble areas, you can work on different ways of coping besides eating.

May 25, 2006, 3:49 pm CDT

how to stop depeding on food.

I am an over wieght female that just dosn't seem to be able to stop at using food for comfort.  No matter what I do  I still go to food for comfort.  How can aperson stop.  It seem like no matter how determend I get it dosn't last. any ideas?!! help!!!  e-mail: mel_baptist@yahoo.com

July 5, 2006, 6:36 pm CDT

cant seem to stop

I have been on a binge lately and cant seem to stop. I know willpower is not the answer. I have prayed and prayed. I am trying to read Dr. Phil's book, but cant seem to keep at it. I am just so sad about the whole thing. I am so sick of being over weight and feeling ugly and yet I don't think there really is a way to stop. Do you all really believe the stories he has on the show about people losing weight? Do they really keep it off? I feel so skeptical about the whole thing.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last