Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2005, 11:47 am CDT

Me too.

Quote From: nursenpink

Has anyone ever eat just for the taste? I have ordered diet pills from on line and will not take them because I want to taste the food. Whats wrong with that picture. I know it is a sick thought. Sometimes I feel that food has taken over my mind. I have very little will power. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the way that I do.

Yes, other people eat for the taste of the food!!!! 

For me, hunger has nothing to do with it.  I find the taste and texture of food to be the draw for me, whether I'm hungry or not.   My only motivation is that the TASTE of that second piece of pie is less appealing than how I will look and feel if I don't eat it. 

October 15, 2005, 2:53 pm CDT

Help! Husband's overeating...

I desperately need advice about what to do about my husband's constant overeating. He is about 70 lbs overweight and he knows it. His body image is terrible...he gets depressed every time he looks in the mirror. However, whenever he eats, he has NO portion control. I'm not his mother so I don't want to say something, but he has no idea when to stop. For example, last night we had a large pizza and I only ate two pieces. When I cook, I make enough for the two of us that should sustain both he and I through the night, but an hour after dinner he'll be in the kitchen making cheese quesadillas or something. How do I get him to cut down on his eating without hurting his feelings? How do I get him to choose healthier alternatives. It's not like we buy unhealthy things at the grocery store, but he always finds a way to the junk food...I'm a little overweight myself but I know when to stop eating. He just has no control and will go and go and go. What should I do? 

Thanks, 

Christina 

October 23, 2005, 6:26 pm CDT

advice

Quote From: chick838

I desperately need advice about what to do about my husband's constant overeating. He is about 70 lbs overweight and he knows it. His body image is terrible...he gets depressed every time he looks in the mirror. However, whenever he eats, he has NO portion control. I'm not his mother so I don't want to say something, but he has no idea when to stop. For example, last night we had a large pizza and I only ate two pieces. When I cook, I make enough for the two of us that should sustain both he and I through the night, but an hour after dinner he'll be in the kitchen making cheese quesadillas or something. How do I get him to cut down on his eating without hurting his feelings? How do I get him to choose healthier alternatives. It's not like we buy unhealthy things at the grocery store, but he always finds a way to the junk food...I'm a little overweight myself but I know when to stop eating. He just has no control and will go and go and go. What should I do? 

Thanks, 

Christina 

I know its really hard to say something to your husband because you know it hurts. But sometimes you have to figure out a way to say something.But nicely.Start with yourself.say something like."babe,i feel that im a little overweight and i feel like i need to start exercising.DO you feel the same way? and he'll have the answer.For you not even saying anything at all,he's going to think that its ok.And its not,things can go really bad when he gets a little bit older.Let him know that its not ok.And when he hears it.He'll start thinking about what he should do.and especially you being his loved one.He'll listen.... 

sheena (california) 

October 23, 2005, 6:49 pm CDT

Anyone thats overweight please read this....

Quote From: retta333

Hi there.  I just wanted to let you know that you don't need a gym, or money or special clothes or ANYTHING to lose weight and exercise.  I did it when I lived on a farm 28 miles from town!!   

When I decided that I was going to DO it - not just talk about it anymore : 

I WALKED every day.  I started with walking 10 minutes (5 minutes from the house, down the gravel road, turn around and 5 minutes back).  In the end I walked an hour a day and loved it.  I walked in the snow even.  It felt good to know that all I needed to change myself was ME!    If I can do it, YOU can do it - without a gym, friends, exercise tapes, money - you just need YOU!! 

Anyone that is or feels overweight,Dont you just always complain about yourself.Never know what to wear,and even if its pretty you feel ugly in it?Dont you just hate taking pictures,because you feel that whoever looks at it,says your the least prettiest.Dont you just hate to be in public,because you know that whoever looks at you,isnt thinking that your pretty,their thinking how big you are.All my life i have been around heavy weight people,all my friends that are over weight are awesome,but they never want to be in public..And i always felt bad.Dont you hate going to the mall and looking at a little pair of jeans only wishing you can go try them on in the fitting rooms.But if you want to look good,and feel good.You can do it.You just have to believe in yourself.Everyones metabolisim is different.Some people can walk for a few weeks and see a difference,some people just dont.Start with yoga,and slowly move up.It relaxes you and makes you feel real confident.Watch what you eat.Drink lots of water.And you will feel so much better about yourself.Trust yourself.Be happy.Go to the mall and buy that shirt that you've always wanted.Take 20 minutes out of the day to exercise.If your stressed the more you eat,the more your happy, the more you'll stick with your good habits.Please im beggin everyone to make a difference in your life.Lifes to short to be unhappy.Do yourself a favor and have that figure you've always wanted.I lost many friends because of being overweight.My friend amanda at only 17 years old.My friend sydney at 24.Please LIFES JUST TO SHORT. 

sheena (california) 

November 5, 2005, 11:30 pm CST

I feel the same

Quote From: retta333

Yes, other people eat for the taste of the food!!!! 

For me, hunger has nothing to do with it.  I find the taste and texture of food to be the draw for me, whether I'm hungry or not.   My only motivation is that the TASTE of that second piece of pie is less appealing than how I will look and feel if I don't eat it. 

I do the same thing, it doesn'd matter if i am hungry or not if i know there is something there that tastes good i want to eat it! But i was reading one of the pages on this website and one said "nobody wants to do it they just have to do it". Nobody wants to cut that stuff out of their lives and nobody wants to not have that piece of pie. So, thats what i think when i want that one thing.

November 9, 2005, 10:11 am CST

This is the week!

I've begun my assault on the flab I've put back on. I lost 50lbs 1/12 years ago, got within 10lbs of my goal and stopped. I think my big clue here is in the first chapter of ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION. I had not incorporated all of Dr Phil's keys into my lifestyle. I had skimmed the book when I first got it, but since I had lost 50 lbs already, I didn't think I needed it. Well, obviously that was wrong headed thinking. I'm on chapter 2 and staying here till the end of the week while I'm writing out my goals. If anybody would care to join me, welcome, and the more the merrier.

Ok, this is the overeating board. I have pretty much gotten my overeating problems taken care of in the past. I don't binge anymore. My problem is, at 48 years old my metabolism has slowed, and I need to start eating less. You just don't need all the food you used to when you were younger because the body doesn't burn it like it used too. So, it's either learn to pare down those portions, or begin eating more of the extremely low calorie foods like vegetables. When I have an occassional dessert, I have to be satisfied with a taste only.

But this is OK, it's not like I've never tasted all those sugary, fattening things. I'm not depriving myself at all, I'm saying hello to energy, mobilty, and health. I'm replacing the pleasure and emtional boost I once got through food with other things. Physical goals are so much more fullfilling than the 2 seconds of flavor on the tongue. My mantra when it comes to fighting the urge to run to the refrigerator is "nothing tastes as good as slim feels." And slim feels pretty darn good every hour of every day.

November 12, 2005, 8:12 am CST

Overeating...

I thought I would share something that helped me with overeating. I used to binge eat, in private of course, when I was sad, lonely, angry, stressed, you name it. I was my coping mechanism and feel-good device. The problem was, I got more and more miserable as time went on.
I decided to try a hypnotherapy class for weight loss. One of the things our guide did was take us through a binge under hypnosis. One where we ate to the point of pain, loosening our belts etc. He went into excruciating detail, I was crying it felt so bad. To this day, (2 years later), I do NOT overeat. I avoid that feeling no matter what.

Hypnotherapy can be very instrumental to help you with your behavior, but if you use food for emotional reasons, you may "convince" yourself back into your old habits if you do not find out why you use food for other than nutrition. I used Dr Phil's SELF MATTERS to dig out my motivations, and "blind spots". There's more to weight loss than cutting calories. Most of it is upstairs in your mind.

Hypnotherapy is not a magic bullet, YOU still have to do all of the work, but it can be a very good tool to changing some of those unhealthy eating patterns in a very short time.

November 13, 2005, 4:38 am CST

Overeating caused by my depression

My parents are getting divorced.  

I am only 15 and I way 59 Kg.  

I feel overweight, because I'm getting bigger and I just eat and eat and eat!!! I'm scared of what will happen in a few years, I get so upset when I think about it.  

Everyone is telling me taht I'm losing weight but I can see that I'm not, I really need help, or even advice.  

I've tried to stop eating, I've tried drinking litres of water a day, I've tried exercising but somehow I just can't stay motivated, I watch Dr. Phil almost every day, and I am scared of almost everything. I'm so stressed out and I don't know what to do. 

November 13, 2005, 11:44 am CST

You are using food!

Quote From: cassandrab

I feel overweight, because I'm getting bigger and I just eat and eat and eat!!! I'm scared of what will happen in a few years, I get so upset when I think about it.  

Everyone is telling me taht I'm losing weight but I can see that I'm not, I really need help, or even advice.  

I've tried to stop eating, I've tried drinking litres of water a day, I've tried exercising but somehow I just can't stay motivated, I watch Dr. Phil almost every day, and I am scared of almost everything. I'm so stressed out and I don't know what to do. 

Be aware that you are using food as a stress reducing coping mechanism. It's not working is it? I know if your parents are going through a divorce they are probably focused on themselves and not you right now, but you need to let them both know how you feel. If possible, ask them if they will let you get some counseling for the stress you are feeling. The habits you are setting up now could cause a lifetime of eating and weight problems. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

November 13, 2005, 8:02 pm CST

Maybe I can help

Quote From: cassandrab

I understand your pain, 

As a girl I liked to eat when I was, sad, mad, upest....I would eat and eat and eat! I didn't realize that I was fat till after people started to call me mrs. Piggy. I was a grasser, and that is very dangerous, because you can stretch your stomach out and end up never being full!  

I started to drink water before I ate, I chewed real good and slow...stopping eating when I felt the least bit full, I also ate 5 or 6 times a day but they were small meals....I also ate a lot of apples to keep me satisfied! 

I went from a size 14 to a size 7 over the summer before 9th grade, and I felt great! 

My parents started their break up and divorce when I was 31, I felt like a child again, I couldn't eat for a while, then all of a sudden, it happened again, I was 13 again and eating so much! I would take the leftover food from my childrens plate when they were done eating, as I would start to do the dishes I would snack on the food. I found myself thinking back to when I was a child and everything I felt then I felt now.  

BUT then I found  Dr. Phil and I realized my problem, (also when my child asked me when I wasn't going to be fat anymore that helped too!) I started to the things I did back then and more, I looked at myself every day and told myself that I loved me, over and over..till finaly I believed it, and also I always thought in the back of my mind that it was my fault that they were geting a divorce. You see I have a ill child and my parents have helped me so much I thought I strained their relationship, but you know what? Nothing between a mom & a Dad is your fault. They are their own people and no matter what they say in anger it is between them and not you! 

Believe me girl they love you and probably are not thinking strait about a few things and probably have said things that they didn't even mean. 

So girl!!! Pull up those boot straps and take charge! Say to your self that you love you, say it over and over till you know it and not just think it! Go out and walk a lot, and while you are out there, start thinking to yourself about how important you are in this world, who knows you may be the next President or the next #1 Female artist in the world!  

e-mail me any time if you feel I can help! 

Love & Hope 

Erica 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last