Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2005, 10:52 pm CST

Thank you

Thank you for your messages, RITEHERE, plz can you let me know more about this hypno thing.  

You 2 are awesome and amazing, and you made me smile, 

I know that I can change my problems, I just needed some sort of motivation and now I have it. 

By the way, I only come on the internet on weekends.  

THANKS 

November 19, 2005, 9:22 am CST

Hypnotherapy.

Quote From: cassandrab

Thank you for your messages, RITEHERE, plz can you let me know more about this hypno thing.  

You 2 are awesome and amazing, and you made me smile, 

I know that I can change my problems, I just needed some sort of motivation and now I have it. 

By the way, I only come on the internet on weekends.  

THANKS 

I attended a hypnotherapy weight loss class. If you want to try this, find a reputable pratictioner. The person I had worked in conjuction with an oncologists office, helping cancer patients. You can also use Dr Phil's book. I just finished the 4th chapter, and in it you make personalized positive messages for yourself. In hypnotherapy you do the same things, but alot of the messages are generalized for a wider audience. And, with hypnotherapy I found that I relied on Dr Phil's books to guide me to understanding some of my insights anyway. So you might want to try that, but before you do anything, I would see about getting some help for coping with your parents' situation. When you learn better ways to cope with this type of stress, oftentimes the eating problems will resolve themselves.

November 19, 2005, 6:23 pm CST

hi

Hey there,I'm a 20 year old girl,I am 1.65 and I weigh 67 kilo's 

Is that a normal weight for me?I'd also like to lose about 7 kilo's anyone has tips? 

Thnxxx 

Michelle 

November 20, 2005, 10:18 am CST

I can relate.

Quote From: nursenpink

Has anyone ever eat just for the taste? I have ordered diet pills from on line and will not take them because I want to taste the food. Whats wrong with that picture. I know it is a sick thought. Sometimes I feel that food has taken over my mind. I have very little will power. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the way that I do.
 I'm at the end of week 2 on my LAST weight loss journey ever. I used to eat very badly, bingeing for all sorts of reasons, and diet pills never worked because all they did was to kill your appetite. Eating was about much more than hunger, although hunger DID enter in to it. I was eating foods that did not nourish me, so my body was always screaming for nourishment, which I would "feed" with more junk. It's a vicious cycle which leads to sugar addiction, bad health and obesity. When you begin eating healthy foods, and get over the physical attractions to sugar, you find that the physical cravings go away. True hunger feels different from hypoglycemia. But that's just the first step, in order to stay on a healthy diet, you have to tackle the mental reasons that you eat to excess.

I just finished chapter 4-  Right Thinking. It was a very good, eye-opening experience. I feel much more confidant about my ability to lose this weight once and for all. Btw I lost another 1 1/2 lbs this week, a total of 5 lbs since I started two weeks ago!

On to week 3 and chapter 5.

November 23, 2005, 5:33 pm CST

Yes I do

Quote From: ritehere

I'm at the end of week 2 on my LAST weight loss journey ever. I used to eat very badly, bingeing for all sorts of reasons, and diet pills never worked because all they did was to kill your appetite. Eating was about much more than hunger, although hunger DID enter in to it. I was eating foods that did not nourish me, so my body was always screaming for nourishment, which I would "feed" with more junk. It's a vicious cycle which leads to sugar addiction, bad health and obesity. When you begin eating healthy foods, and get over the physical attractions to sugar, you find that the physical cravings go away. True hunger feels different from hypoglycemia. But that's just the first step, in order to stay on a healthy diet, you have to tackle the mental reasons that you eat to excess.

I just finished chapter 4-  Right Thinking. It was a very good, eye-opening experience. I feel much more confidant about my ability to lose this weight once and for all. Btw I lost another 1 1/2 lbs this week, a total of 5 lbs since I started two weeks ago!

On to week 3 and chapter 5.
Yes, I eat for the taste also, I love things like donuts and pastry's. I know I have to stop But I'm on a sugar high i think. I have quit eating junk before buy switching to fruit but it takes me about 3 or more days of real bad cravings before I can go with out. Just keep trying and you should get there. And good for you (ritehere?). What a hard job it is to get it off. 5lbs that is great, keep on trucking.

November 23, 2005, 6:48 pm CST

3 days of bad cravings...

Quote From: mental

Yes, I eat for the taste also, I love things like donuts and pastry's. I know I have to stop But I'm on a sugar high i think. I have quit eating junk before buy switching to fruit but it takes me about 3 or more days of real bad cravings before I can go with out. Just keep trying and you should get there. And good for you (ritehere?). What a hard job it is to get it off. 5lbs that is great, keep on trucking.
 Yep, that sounds like sugar addiction. Hypoglycemia is that condition where you HAVE to eat something every 3 hours OR LESS, or you get shaky, nauseated, and a headache. Well, it hasn't been proven to be sugar related, but I've found that all of that goes away when you take sugar out of your diet. And it takes about 3-4 days to get over those cravings. And I've gone through the process more than once, so I don't think it's an isolated incident for me. True hunger takes a lot longer to manifest itself.
It's sad that a lot more diets don't address this at the beginning because I suspect that sugar addiction foils many diets before they even get started. So many people don't understand that those cravings are temperary. They can be very hard to combat if you don't understand what it is and that it doesn't go on forever.

5 down, 30 to go!

December 4, 2005, 7:19 pm CST

Need to lose weight

I am over 100#'s overweight.  I can't get started and I can't keep motivated.  I try to watch what I eat, I just don't get much exercise.  I joined Curves and it helped, but then I needed surgery on my stomach.  It didn't help with the women that worked there constantly telling me they didn't think I would make it.  It's been nearly 3 years and I need to start up again.  Besides the guilt and not being motivated, I just need to get in the car and go down the hill and get started again.  Why am I having such a problem.  I am very frustrated and I feel bad.  Gerri

December 6, 2005, 5:41 pm CST

You can do it!!!

Quote From: gerigreen

I am over 100#'s overweight.  I can't get started and I can't keep motivated.  I try to watch what I eat, I just don't get much exercise.  I joined Curves and it helped, but then I needed surgery on my stomach.  It didn't help with the women that worked there constantly telling me they didn't think I would make it.  It's been nearly 3 years and I need to start up again.  Besides the guilt and not being motivated, I just need to get in the car and go down the hill and get started again.  Why am I having such a problem.  I am very frustrated and I feel bad.  Gerri

Look Gerri, 

If all you need to do is get of your lazy butt, then Damn it woman do it!!  Your over your stomach surgery? that was 3yrs ago. If you liked it at curves get you A$$ back there! and show those woman that they are wrong ! Don't listen to them if you really want to do it then do it, Prove those women wrong, Give them what for. Leave that damn car parked where it's at and damn well walk. Just start walking and increase it 5minutes every day until you are walking a good 30 mins with  comfort, and then start picking up pace and as it gets easier for you add more time till you are walking 45minutes a day. Buy  yourself  a pedometer, i have one and i walk 10,000 steps a day i do it in 1hour and my goal is to do it in 45minutes before i increase my steps it's so much fun, gives you time to think and puts you in a really good mood, if i stop walking or exercising i get depressed. You suffer from depression so start exercising and stop making excuses. 

I'll be waiting to here what you have to say! and I'm a real good butt kicker,lol. 

December 8, 2005, 7:11 am CST

You've got to be your main cheerleader.

Quote From: gerigreen

I know it sounds trite, but that's exactly what you need to do here. You are a valuable, deserving person, just as we all are. How dare those women tell you that you won't make it! We all have different approaches and different speeds of accomplishing goals, depending on where we are starting from. When one of the idiots makes a statement like that, look her in the eye and tell her that it's no wonder the place doesn't get more business with an unhelpful attitude like that! Tap into your anger and use it to fuel an attitude of proving them wrong. Because they ARE wrong.
Get Dr Phil's ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION. Ask for it for Christmas or something. Losing weight is about much more than counting calories and exercising. I suspect one of your main stumbling blocks is your personal truth about yourself.

December 8, 2005, 7:24 am CST

Overeating

Well, it's the end of my 4th week of my last diet ever. I have gained back the 5 lbs I lost, but I'm not giving up. Over Thanksgiving week and the week after that while visiting relatives I gained some valuable insights on my stumbling blocks. I do very well by myself at home, but need a plan of action and some boundaries when around friends and family. I also need to schedule my time better when these things come up. (It's all about the preparation and programming!)
Anyway, this is the OVEREATING thread, so I will comment on what I've learned about myself. At my age-almost 49-it doesn't take much to eat more than I need. When I was younger, I could eat pretty much what I wanted and not worry. But as I get older, the amount I need is less and less, and I'm constantly redefining my portions. I've learned not to stuff myself anymore. Thanks to Dr Phil's wonderful books I no longer need to console myself with food. I'm getting a pretty good handle on the combination of food to exercise that I need to lose weight. If I eat too much, I need to work out longer or more intensely, if I miss a work out, I need to eat even less that day. And this is just to maintain weight! To lose, I must do both religiously. However, when I do everything right, the weight does come off readily. It's not that difficult. The hardest part of weight loss is getting past the mind games we play to justify our eating.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last