Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2005, 7:30 pm CST

TEENS

are there any teens struggling with weight/food issues? im looking for some support....  i want to lose 10-15 lbs but it seems that whenever i take 2 steps forward, i take 3 steps back. i always revert back to my old habits........sooo frustrating!! 

any advice?? 

December 18, 2005, 6:11 pm CST

I need to lose lots of weight

Hey everyone.  I am 19 years old and I weigh 145 pounds.  I am 5ft 0in.  I eat about every hour.  I need to not eat as much.  When I get stressed out I eat alot or when I get mad at my boyfriend.  I just want to lose 20 pounds.  I don't like to exercise.  Is there any way I can just change my diet and lose weight without working out? Can someone get back to me on this one.

December 19, 2005, 1:57 am CST

belmont

Quote From: belmont

Hey everyone.  I am 19 years old and I weigh 145 pounds.  I am 5ft 0in.  I eat about every hour.  I need to not eat as much.  When I get stressed out I eat alot or when I get mad at my boyfriend.  I just want to lose 20 pounds.  I don't like to exercise.  Is there any way I can just change my diet and lose weight without working out? Can someone get back to me on this one.

Hey how are you?.You can cut out foods with sugar and don't drink any soda pop or soft drinks. Start drinking water in between meals ans about 20 minutes before a meal, That way you won't eat as much. Eat your meals slowly. How about you just start walking 30 minutes a day, to start of with. For any of us to lose weight is that we have to eat less and move (exercise) more. 

Good luck with your goal to lose 20lbs, I need to lose about 30lbs myself. 

See Ya. 

December 19, 2005, 7:19 pm CST

end of another week

Happy to report that I DID NOT overeat at the Christmas dinner I went to. My reward was walking out of the restaurant  feeling satisfied but not stuffed and bloated.
I just finished reading chapter 7, Key 4: Mastery Over Food and Impulse Eating. I've always been a fast eater and I'm going to take some of the suggestions and make them my new eating style. I'm going to stretch my meals out to 30 minutes or more, that way I'll know I'm full BEFORE I've eaten way too much. I also like to eat while watching TV, but the way I do it is to dish up my food and take it to the living room where the TV is. I don't get seconds, but it is rather mindless eating. I may change that habit too. I never eat snacks while watching, I learned long ago that that is a major fat building habit.

December 21, 2005, 11:19 pm CST

Over Eating

I get over eat when there is depression negative arguements for small things and no respect love. 

Thats why I need to seperate my husband because of my weight.  

Maybe instead be seperate send me to dr phil and put me on boot camp for weigh watcher. I would be much happier to listened to his advice unless good thing to have my husband to come along we can do it together as team. 

December 22, 2005, 9:42 pm CST

Need some support!!

I am currently reading Dr Phil's weight loss book again. I read it about 2 years ago and lost about 15 lbs. My goal was to lose 40. I don't know what happened, but I just quit doing anything proactive to lose weight. Went right back to my problems with bingeing and stopped exercising at all. So, of course, I put on the weight I had lost and then some. I have started walking 45 min. a day, but my eating is still out of control. I plan to clean out my fridge and pantry on new year's and give it another go. I was hoping that there might be someone out there who could offer some support. I am ready to do whatever it takes to lose this weight. I am 23, but I feel much, much older than that, because of all the extra weight I carry around. My hips and knees bother me and I have almost no energy. I'm 5'7" and 190 lbs. I've always had major food issues even as a child, but I stayed active enough that it never showed physically. It didn't become an issue externally until I got pregnant twice in the same year. My kids are 11 months apart and being pregnant made some major changes on my body and I don't think that I have learned to accept this new body I have. I don't know how to have a healthy relationship with food. I am addicted, but it's not like with other addictions like smoking, drugs, alcohol, etc. because you can find a way to cut those things out of your life. They aren't neccasary. But with food, I just can't cut it out of my life. i have to find a way I guess to have balance and devolop a new view on food. That concept just seems so overwhelming. Any suggestions?

December 23, 2005, 12:02 pm CST

Backsliding...

Quote From: amyec22

I am currently reading Dr Phil's weight loss book again. I read it about 2 years ago and lost about 15 lbs. My goal was to lose 40. I don't know what happened, but I just quit doing anything proactive to lose weight. Went right back to my problems with bingeing and stopped exercising at all. So, of course, I put on the weight I had lost and then some. I have started walking 45 min. a day, but my eating is still out of control. I plan to clean out my fridge and pantry on new year's and give it another go. I was hoping that there might be someone out there who could offer some support. I am ready to do whatever it takes to lose this weight. I am 23, but I feel much, much older than that, because of all the extra weight I carry around. My hips and knees bother me and I have almost no energy. I'm 5'7" and 190 lbs. I've always had major food issues even as a child, but I stayed active enough that it never showed physically. It didn't become an issue externally until I got pregnant twice in the same year. My kids are 11 months apart and being pregnant made some major changes on my body and I don't think that I have learned to accept this new body I have. I don't know how to have a healthy relationship with food. I am addicted, but it's not like with other addictions like smoking, drugs, alcohol, etc. because you can find a way to cut those things out of your life. They aren't neccasary. But with food, I just can't cut it out of my life. i have to find a way I guess to have balance and devolop a new view on food. That concept just seems so overwhelming. Any suggestions?
 What may have happened is that something came up that distracted you, and since your new thinking and habits were not yet a part of your life, you fell into old patterns. The old patterns are comfortable, but as you can see, they don't satisfy. This has happened to me in the past too. This time I'm really paying attention to the work I need to accomplish with my thoughts and reactions. Go back and read the book again, the second time can bring home information you may have glossed over the first time. Figure out what it was that derailed you last time so it won't happen again.
Good luck, and you're not alone. I'm also reading the book for the second time. I'm taking it a key per week so it has time to sink in. I'm on chapter 7, Key 4 and will be moving to chapter 8 on Monday.

December 23, 2005, 6:21 pm CST

Thanks for your suggestions

Quote From: ritehere

What may have happened is that something came up that distracted you, and since your new thinking and habits were not yet a part of your life, you fell into old patterns. The old patterns are comfortable, but as you can see, they don't satisfy. This has happened to me in the past too. This time I'm really paying attention to the work I need to accomplish with my thoughts and reactions. Go back and read the book again, the second time can bring home information you may have glossed over the first time. Figure out what it was that derailed you last time so it won't happen again.
Good luck, and you're not alone. I'm also reading the book for the second time. I'm taking it a key per week so it has time to sink in. I'm on chapter 7, Key 4 and will be moving to chapter 8 on Monday.
Thank  you for taking the time to respond to my message. I used to go to the message board for 20-somethings trying to lose weight, but nobody goes to that one anymore. I guess in my previous message I shouldn't have said I didn't know why I gave up on my goals a few years back. I know the reason, I just don't know how to get past the reason. The same thing happens over and over again. You think I'd have figured it out by now. How to get and keep the weight off. I have a condition (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)that makes it really difficult to lose weight, but really easy to gain. Not that I have the healthiest eating patterns, but I should not weigh what I do based on my diet and calorie intake. I have kept food journals alot in the past so that maybe it would show me if I was taking in more than I thought I was, but I was eating a normal amount of calories daily. My problem is that I lose like the first 10 or so pounds farely easily and then after that I am not seeing any results and it gets to be very discouraging. You know, putting in all that effort and "sacrificing" what you love to eat and getting no payoff. Maybe I need another mind set. Like I have tried to tell myself this time that it isn't about losing weight and getting skinny, but about being healthier. If I am walking everyday and eating healthy, then even if I don't lose weight then at least I am healthier and will feel better and have more energy, etc. I would love to hear any tips and suggestions that have worked for you.

December 24, 2005, 7:28 am CST

I have challenges too!

Quote From: amyec22

Thank  you for taking the time to respond to my message. I used to go to the message board for 20-somethings trying to lose weight, but nobody goes to that one anymore. I guess in my previous message I shouldn't have said I didn't know why I gave up on my goals a few years back. I know the reason, I just don't know how to get past the reason. The same thing happens over and over again. You think I'd have figured it out by now. How to get and keep the weight off. I have a condition (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)that makes it really difficult to lose weight, but really easy to gain. Not that I have the healthiest eating patterns, but I should not weigh what I do based on my diet and calorie intake. I have kept food journals alot in the past so that maybe it would show me if I was taking in more than I thought I was, but I was eating a normal amount of calories daily. My problem is that I lose like the first 10 or so pounds farely easily and then after that I am not seeing any results and it gets to be very discouraging. You know, putting in all that effort and "sacrificing" what you love to eat and getting no payoff. Maybe I need another mind set. Like I have tried to tell myself this time that it isn't about losing weight and getting skinny, but about being healthier. If I am walking everyday and eating healthy, then even if I don't lose weight then at least I am healthier and will feel better and have more energy, etc. I would love to hear any tips and suggestions that have worked for you.
 But my problem is called "getting older"! LOL. My metabolism is pretty much zilch, but I've learned to work with it.
One thing you might try is to lose that first 10lbs, and then stay there for awhile. Don't get discouraged or give up, just stay there. I've found it's harder to maintain weight than lose it! Once your body gets thouroughly used to that weight level, and you've learned everything you need to know about that weight level, you can lose another 10 or so. Sometimes this is healthier for you too. It's slower, but it's progress.
 The food journal is a good place to start, 9 times out of 10 I've found that I've gained because I've been eating a little more here and there. And then there is excercise level. I don't know about you, but when I just watch what I eat, I barely maintain weight, in order to lose I HAVE to workout. But that's OK, I look and feel better when I'm toned, so I like it. My biggest bogey is the eating part.

December 24, 2005, 10:14 am CST

That is a good suggestion

Quote From: ritehere

But my problem is called "getting older"! LOL. My metabolism is pretty much zilch, but I've learned to work with it.
One thing you might try is to lose that first 10lbs, and then stay there for awhile. Don't get discouraged or give up, just stay there. I've found it's harder to maintain weight than lose it! Once your body gets thouroughly used to that weight level, and you've learned everything you need to know about that weight level, you can lose another 10 or so. Sometimes this is healthier for you too. It's slower, but it's progress.
 The food journal is a good place to start, 9 times out of 10 I've found that I've gained because I've been eating a little more here and there. And then there is excercise level. I don't know about you, but when I just watch what I eat, I barely maintain weight, in order to lose I HAVE to workout. But that's OK, I look and feel better when I'm toned, so I like it. My biggest bogey is the eating part.
I have to say that it has never even crossed my mind to stay at a certain weight for a little while. I have always thought that if I am trying to lose weight, then I should be losing consistantly. But, I think that I am going to sit down and write out my goals today and plan on losing 2 lbs. or so per week for the next 5 or 6 weeks or when I get to 10 lbs. and not weigh again for 2 weeks (but continue with exercise and diet) so that it doesn't discourage me if I'm not losing and if I have lost some weight then that will just be icing on the cake. I have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds since I started walking last week. I'm thankful that I don't have to worry about going to our family's home for Christmas with all of the tempting goodies they always have because my husband works nights and has to work today and tomorrow. So, we will just have our own little Christmas here and I can control the cooking. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last