Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 25, 2005, 11:27 pm CST

Over Eating

Quote From: deafmom45

I get over eat when there is depression negative arguements for small things and no respect love. 

Thats why I need to seperate my husband because of my weight.  

Maybe instead be seperate send me to dr phil and put me on boot camp for weigh watcher. I would be much happier to listened to his advice unless good thing to have my husband to come along we can do it together as team. 

Has anyone not understand my situtions. Do u have any trouble like me? I need buddy online to support  anyone? Hey would be nice to have trainer online how s that?? 

December 27, 2005, 11:45 am CST

Hello deafmom,

Quote From: deafmom45

Has anyone not understand my situtions. Do u have any trouble like me? I need buddy online to support  anyone? Hey would be nice to have trainer online how s that?? 

I've talked to you before on another board. We sort of support each other over on these boards. We post our progress, or lack of progress, tips and whatnot.
Losing weight really is something that you have to do for yourself. There are lots of books out there, of course we use Dr Phil's. I've found that it's the best one so far because he explains the mental aspects of successful weight loss. You can use tools to help you, like support, books, doctors, and things, but it really is a lonely battle.
Have you started a program?

December 27, 2005, 11:53 am CST

Yes, Christmas was great, but a challenge!

Quote From: amyec22

I have to say that it has never even crossed my mind to stay at a certain weight for a little while. I have always thought that if I am trying to lose weight, then I should be losing consistantly. But, I think that I am going to sit down and write out my goals today and plan on losing 2 lbs. or so per week for the next 5 or 6 weeks or when I get to 10 lbs. and not weigh again for 2 weeks (but continue with exercise and diet) so that it doesn't discourage me if I'm not losing and if I have lost some weight then that will just be icing on the cake. I have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds since I started walking last week. I'm thankful that I don't have to worry about going to our family's home for Christmas with all of the tempting goodies they always have because my husband works nights and has to work today and tomorrow. So, we will just have our own little Christmas here and I can control the cooking. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
 We went to my daughter's house. She had every goodie you can think of on a buffet all day long. Fortunately, it was warm and sunny out so I spent most of the day out in the yard playing with the granddaughters, or throwing the ball or frisbee with the kids. I'm thankful for these small miricles, it would have been much harder to rein in the snacking otherwise.
I maintained weight last week, so I'm happy. Now that the big eating holidays are over for me, I can get back to business as usual.
Good for you, you lost some pounds! In the best of situations, we lose consistently. But stay prepared for plateaus, they happen. My hypnotherapist told me to embrace my plateaus, which sounds corny, but it's not. It really is the attitude you need to persevere. Onward ho!

December 27, 2005, 1:59 pm CST

Dont want to but i do

Im 15 years old and started smoking pot,then got into harder drugs like coke and extacy just to fit in. Ecver since i started coke i cant stop.i was always really skinny and short for my age. But would always eat junk food and chocolate and chips everyday for breakfast and everything. Then in grade 9 i started to gain like only 5 pounds and had a little belly when i sat down and thought i was so fat. Ecven though i was like 98 pounds in grade 9. When on coke u dont eat. But because of that ive been doing coke everday to loose weight and help me to not eat. I cant stop using coke because it is a replacment for my cutting addiction and it helps me loose weight. Wat should i do? 

December 27, 2005, 3:44 pm CST

Please be your own best friend,

Quote From: alyssa_

Im 15 years old and started smoking pot,then got into harder drugs like coke and extacy just to fit in. Ecver since i started coke i cant stop.i was always really skinny and short for my age. But would always eat junk food and chocolate and chips everyday for breakfast and everything. Then in grade 9 i started to gain like only 5 pounds and had a little belly when i sat down and thought i was so fat. Ecven though i was like 98 pounds in grade 9. When on coke u dont eat. But because of that ive been doing coke everday to loose weight and help me to not eat. I cant stop using coke because it is a replacment for my cutting addiction and it helps me loose weight. Wat should i do? 

Don't let this go on, you are only replacing one bad coping behavior with another. End the behaviors before they do you in. Call your local emergency number, or crises hotline in your local phone book's government pages. If you go to the message board category page, look up the Health category and click on Support. Choose Addiction Support from the threads listed. At the top before the first post, there is a link to Dr Phil's General and Mental Health Resources Page. Try this also, but please, get help.

December 28, 2005, 9:21 am CST

You can't continue this way!!!

I have been where you are right now! I know exactly what you are going through. I know that it's extremely difficult to stop, but you have to. I have had a problem with overeating since I was a small child, but I stayed active enough that it didn't become a problem physically until I was in 8th grade. I had something very traumatic happen to me the summer going into 8th grade and me and my family agreed that it would probably be a good idea if I home-schooled for a year or two. Well, in a very short period of time I went from about 145lbs. to over 190lbs. I lost all of my self-esteem and thought that no one could possibly be attracted to me the way I looked. I stayed that weight for a little over 2 years. Then I met a guy who was much older than me and he showed an interest in me and we started seeing each other, behind my parents back of course. He did crystal-meth and pretty soon, I was doing it too. I became completely addicted and was using it every chance I got. I noticed in a very short amount of time, that I was losing weight rapidly and have to admit that I liked the weight loss aspect of it. However, everything else in my life was going down the toilet. I was ditching school just about everyday and hanging out with him and pretty soon, I had missed so much school that I was going to have to take my junior year over again. I was stealing a lot of money from my dad to pay for my habit. And one day he caught on and realized that I had, over the course of just a few months, stolen about $1600. I denied it and he called the bank and they had video tapes from the ATM of the person who had withdrawn the money, me. I decided that I couldn't face him after he had seen me on tape stealing from him, so the day he was supposed to go look at the tapes, I ran away and moved in with this guy and my parents didn't know where I was for over a year. Can you imagine how worried they were? They didn't know if I was alive or dead. Anyway, there came a point when I found out that my boyfriend was cheating on me and I was so devistated, I went into the bathroom and smoked waaaaaay to much. I overdosed. I came out of the bathroom and sat on the bed for a minute and then decided to go back in the bathroom to get a drink of water. I passed out in the bathroom, knocking everything over, and hit my head hard on the bathtub ledge. My boyfriend and a friend of his came in there to see what had happened. I wasn't conscience (don't know how to spell that). I was not breathing and they couldn't pick up a pulse. I stayed this way, they told me later, for at least 2 to 3 minutes. And here's the kicker, they wouldn't call 911 because they didn't want to get busted for the drugs. I was dying and they were worried about their own asses getting in trouble!!!!! Can you believe that. That was all I needed to quit right that second. Needless to say I left that worthless creep and I called my parents and they took me back in, thankfully. I have never touched any kind of drug since that day. I am 23 now and have 2 kids and have been married to my husband for over 5 years now. I have gained some weight, but I would rather be a little overweight than jeopardize my life again. You have to find support for this. My family was incredibly understanding and forgiving and I am sure your's would be as well. They would rather see you healthy and happy than lose you to a very dangerous drug. You can get through this. Please  keep me updated.

December 28, 2005, 11:11 am CST

Quote From: amyec22

I have been where you are right now! I know exactly what you are going through. I know that it's extremely difficult to stop, but you have to. I have had a problem with overeating since I was a small child, but I stayed active enough that it didn't become a problem physically until I was in 8th grade. I had something very traumatic happen to me the summer going into 8th grade and me and my family agreed that it would probably be a good idea if I home-schooled for a year or two. Well, in a very short period of time I went from about 145lbs. to over 190lbs. I lost all of my self-esteem and thought that no one could possibly be attracted to me the way I looked. I stayed that weight for a little over 2 years. Then I met a guy who was much older than me and he showed an interest in me and we started seeing each other, behind my parents back of course. He did crystal-meth and pretty soon, I was doing it too. I became completely addicted and was using it every chance I got. I noticed in a very short amount of time, that I was losing weight rapidly and have to admit that I liked the weight loss aspect of it. However, everything else in my life was going down the toilet. I was ditching school just about everyday and hanging out with him and pretty soon, I had missed so much school that I was going to have to take my junior year over again. I was stealing a lot of money from my dad to pay for my habit. And one day he caught on and realized that I had, over the course of just a few months, stolen about $1600. I denied it and he called the bank and they had video tapes from the ATM of the person who had withdrawn the money, me. I decided that I couldn't face him after he had seen me on tape stealing from him, so the day he was supposed to go look at the tapes, I ran away and moved in with this guy and my parents didn't know where I was for over a year. Can you imagine how worried they were? They didn't know if I was alive or dead. Anyway, there came a point when I found out that my boyfriend was cheating on me and I was so devistated, I went into the bathroom and smoked waaaaaay to much. I overdosed. I came out of the bathroom and sat on the bed for a minute and then decided to go back in the bathroom to get a drink of water. I passed out in the bathroom, knocking everything over, and hit my head hard on the bathtub ledge. My boyfriend and a friend of his came in there to see what had happened. I wasn't conscience (don't know how to spell that). I was not breathing and they couldn't pick up a pulse. I stayed this way, they told me later, for at least 2 to 3 minutes. And here's the kicker, they wouldn't call 911 because they didn't want to get busted for the drugs. I was dying and they were worried about their own asses getting in trouble!!!!! Can you believe that. That was all I needed to quit right that second. Needless to say I left that worthless creep and I called my parents and they took me back in, thankfully. I have never touched any kind of drug since that day. I am 23 now and have 2 kids and have been married to my husband for over 5 years now. I have gained some weight, but I would rather be a little overweight than jeopardize my life again. You have to find support for this. My family was incredibly understanding and forgiving and I am sure your's would be as well. They would rather see you healthy and happy than lose you to a very dangerous drug. You can get through this. Please  keep me updated.
Wow... ive never met anyone who had such a similar story as mine, u are so lucky you got passed it all and have your own family. I want my own fsamily but then sometimes i dont.Ill be soo happy for my future one minute and say ill do nomore drugs and then 5 minutes later my friends will be over or call. Lifes just so much easier doing it and not being left out. Ive never been over weight though, ive always been really really skinny. My parents are not people i talk to ever. I love them to death but they always think money is everything, they always work late and early im always home alone. Then they get home and watch tv then go to bed. We dont even eat dinner at the table anymore.I try to talk to them but they say shh or be quite. My parents arent very understanding and just accpect everyhting to be perfect. My older brother used to do a lot of drugs and deal drugs and was in a lot of trouble so they really worrie about me. My brother is lucky and has now just graduated highschool at 23 years old.I dont want to spend 7 or 8 years in high school, but friends just seem so important. I was not aloud to have a boyfriend and did anyway in grade 8 and then danced with him, then to hugging,kissing, and then even sex. After haveing sex i went into a big depression and just ate and ate even though i only gained maybe 5 pounds. But always thought i was so fat. Then my boyfriend broke up with me and i had noone to tlk to i could not tell my parents. So i kept thinking about suiside but couldnt do it untill i learned about cutting. I didnt know it was bad, i thought i was only going to do it once. But i began doing it everyday. My parents found out 4 times that i had still been cutting and always made me feel so guilty and bad for them because they would make it such a shock when they found out i still cut myself, even though i would never get help. And then i learn cutting is an addiction, it got worse i then made websites saying bye to all my family and then took pills and ended up in the hospital and finally asked for help, and i got ONE counceling sesion that even ended early. I couldnt believe it all i wanted was some help. I could not stop. Then i met some new friends and weighed 110 at the time in grade 9 (thinking i was fat) and started smoking, then smoking wed everyd day. So i stopped cutting and realixed why would i hurt myself iull jsut do drugs , loose weight and have fun all at the same time. But then they finally satarted sharing coke and extacy with me. I didnt do it the first time they asked but then i did later on. I then was doing it for weeks streaight and didnt eat anything. I had no money left at all so i stole my moms whole purse. Stupid as i was and very high took her whol purse, and my dad came down to my friends and said someones stolle mommys purse and i admited it wa sme. I always said my dd would never hit me, he loves me, he would never. And he did he through me in the car and started smashing my head off the window and we almost drove into a treee. I didnt even feel it untill the next day. I never thought i could make my dad so angry. So i ran that night before the police got to my house. The police were looking for me all that night, and my freidns how nice they were wouldnt let me get anymore coke with the money they just let me buy weed.So i was like ok w.e and i still havent eatn for days after that but came home the next day, i got a warning from the police and had to write a two page essay saying why i shouldnt steel. That really gave me a wake up call. Im still grounded. I ahve been grouned since november, but i am getting ungrounded in 4 days. My dad yesterday just looked at me and jsut started crying and said u know ur ungrounded in 4 days, and just said please dont mess up please he always blames himself, but since ive been a teenager i dont gett any attention so my friends give me so much attention with bringing drugs and sharng wth them and then them sharing with me. I did coke juyst yesterday night, ive never done so much then i did that night, and i dont regret it. How am i suposed to not do it anymore when im ungrounded? im afraid because my friends are a bigger influence on my life then my parents are right now. I was wonmdring if u would like to chat on msn if u have it. adtrites1990@hotmail.com

December 29, 2005, 10:32 am CST

Back on track...

Quote From: ritehere

We went to my daughter's house. She had every goodie you can think of on a buffet all day long. Fortunately, it was warm and sunny out so I spent most of the day out in the yard playing with the granddaughters, or throwing the ball or frisbee with the kids. I'm thankful for these small miricles, it would have been much harder to rein in the snacking otherwise.
I maintained weight last week, so I'm happy. Now that the big eating holidays are over for me, I can get back to business as usual.
Good for you, you lost some pounds! In the best of situations, we lose consistently. But stay prepared for plateaus, they happen. My hypnotherapist told me to embrace my plateaus, which sounds corny, but it's not. It really is the attitude you need to persevere. Onward ho!

My in-laws ended up coming over here Christmas morning to watch the kids open their presents. We all had a good time and since my husband would be sleeping for most of the day because he had to work that night, I decided I didn't even need to cook a christamas dinner at all. Well, my in-laws ended up coming back over after they went to the big family chrismas over at my brother-in-laws house and brought us the presents that were over there for us, which was really nice of her. We ended up getting a lot of good stuff and it was like another christmas. But, she also brought over a whole bunch of food from there that was left over. I couldn't believe it. Their was all of my favorites. I love desserts so much. There was a huge container of all kinds of cookies and a couple pies. I can't not eat this stuff. it is just beyond me. So, I ate A LOT. It is a small miracle that I didn't gain any weight. I should have just thrown it all in the trash because if it is in the house, then I will eat it. I had a migraine for the rest of the day and through to the next day. I finally woke up this morning and it was gone. I have walked the last 2 days for an hour each day and plan on doing it again today. I weighed this morning and I have actually lost another pound!!! All the goodies are gone now, so I can get back to eating healthy. Hope all is well with you. You haven't posted in a while. 

December 29, 2005, 3:55 pm CST

Overeating

Alyssa, You need to get help. You don't have to do drugs to fit in. I am 33 now and never did any kind of drugs. I wasn't popular just a late bloomer. Now I am a well liked person and don't regret it. Please try to talk to someone about this. These drugs could kill you.

December 30, 2005, 11:29 am CST

Friends aren't you

Wow... ive never met anyone who had such a similar story as mine, u are so lucky you got passed it all and have your own family. I want my own fsamily but then sometimes i dont.Ill be soo happy for my future one minute and say ill do nomore drugs and then 5 minutes later my friends will be over or call. Lifes just so much easier doing it and not being left out. Ive never been over weight though, ive always been really really skinny. My parents are not people i talk to ever. I love them to death but they always think money is everything, they always work late and early im always home alone. Then they get home and watch tv then go to bed. We dont even eat dinner at the table anymore.I try to talk to them but they say shh or be quite. My parents arent very understanding and just accpect everyhting to be perfect. My older brother used to do a lot of drugs and deal drugs and was in a lot of trouble so they really worrie about me. My brother is lucky and has now just graduated highschool at 23 years old.I dont want to spend 7 or 8 years in high school, but friends just seem so important. I was not aloud to have a boyfriend and did anyway in grade 8 and then danced with him, then to hugging,kissing, and then even sex. After haveing sex i went into a big depression and just ate and ate even though i only gained maybe 5 pounds. But always thought i was so fat. Then my boyfriend broke up with me and i had noone to tlk to i could not tell my parents. So i kept thinking about suiside but couldnt do it untill i learned about cutting. I didnt know it was bad, i thought i was only going to do it once. But i began doing it everyday. My parents found out 4 times that i had still been cutting and always made me feel so guilty and bad for them because they would make it such a shock when they found out i still cut myself, even though i would never get help. And then i learn cutting is an addiction, it got worse i then made websites saying bye to all my family and then took pills and ended up in the hospital and finally asked for help, and i got ONE counceling sesion that even ended early. I couldnt believe it all i wanted was some help. I could not stop. Then i met some new friends and weighed 110 at the time in grade 9 (thinking i was fat) and started smoking, then smoking wed everyd day. So i stopped cutting and realixed why would i hurt myself iull jsut do drugs , loose weight and have fun all at the same time. But then they finally satarted sharing coke and extacy with me. I didnt do it the first time they asked but then i did later on. I then was doing it for weeks streaight and didnt eat anything. I had no money left at all so i stole my moms whole purse. Stupid as i was and very high took her whol purse, and my dad came down to my friends and said someones stolle mommys purse and i admited it wa sme. I always said my dd would never hit me, he loves me, he would never. And he did he through me in the car and started smashing my head off the window and we almost drove into a treee. I didnt even feel it untill the next day. I never thought i could make my dad so angry. So i ran that night before the police got to my house. The police were looking for me all that night, and my freidns how nice they were wouldnt let me get anymore coke with the money they just let me buy weed.So i was like ok w.e and i still havent eatn for days after that but came home the next day, i got a warning from the police and had to write a two page essay saying why i shouldnt steel. That really gave me a wake up call. Im still grounded. I ahve been grouned since november, but i am getting ungrounded in 4 days. My dad yesterday just looked at me and jsut started crying and said u know ur ungrounded in 4 days, and just said please dont mess up please he always blames himself, but since ive been a teenager i dont gett any attention so my friends give me so much attention with bringing drugs and sharng wth them and then them sharing with me. I did coke juyst yesterday night, ive never done so much then i did that night, and i dont regret it. How am i suposed to not do it anymore when im ungrounded? im afraid because my friends are a bigger influence on my life then my parents are right now. I was wonmdring if u would like to chat on msn if u have it. adtrites1990@hotmail.com

Hey, I started the same way.  it wasn't unusual  for me to be offered on a single plate, ecstacy, herion, or coke for me to choose my buzz for the night.  I slept with who ever, did what I want.  I was your age.  I dropped out of high school.  And I partied.  At 16 I was with guys in their 20's.  And, then still did worse things, unmentionable. 

I ended up getting pregnant at 17.  Then I had no choice but to change or I would screw someone else's life completely.  You don't need that, hey, I spent 2 months recovering from what I did while I was pregnant, that was not cool.  I used to cut, I have manic depression, and it's a daily behavioural change that I need to work through.  And, you must realize, though it may be the thing to do now, go visit others who never changed their ways.  Where are they?  Still doing the same thing, but I bet living in dirt holes, nothing to show for their lives.  Eating just to survive, hey, one muffin lasted me a week and that was often.  Mostly toast, but a muffin was a treat for the week! 

When I needed people to help me, when I found out I was pregnant, no one was there.  I did it all by myself.  I got myself into the messes I did because I was so angry that no one listened to me.  My mom did nothing but tell me I wasn't good enough.  My dad wasn't there enough, and my sister still hates me just because I was born.  Find a way to channel your anger into something positive.  It could also be sadness or loneliness, whatever is driving your need for friends that aren't real friends, you need to look at it and realize, it's not worth it.  You have to be productive in life.  High school is about finding out what you want in life.  Find it, and do it. 

I am now 22 years old with a 4 year old daughter.  I'm waiting the arrival of my son, and I am now engaged and we're living a good life.  I found where I belong, and to be honest, my fiance is my first real friend that I've ever had.  All the people I knew in high school or in my party days, are either in jail, dead, or still in the same spot, not moving forward in anything they're doing.  They're just wasting space. 

You need to talk to your dad and mom, say things like, "I feel, I think, what I have seen"  Instead of "You never, You didn't, You did this to me"  If you put ownership on how YOU feel, they won't block out what you're saying.  Tell him you feel left out from their lives, and that you miss talking to them and spending time with them.  When I started doing that with my father, we started a great relationship, that now I am very proud of, and he tells me things like he's proud of me, but he couldn't until I started talking to him first.  He was scared.  And your dad is terrified for you. 

Try it for a while and see what happens, okay? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last