Message Boards

Topic : Overeating

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:58 pm
Author : dataimport
At the end of the day, sometimes eating seems like the only thing that will comfort us. We've got to drop that habit and look for more healthy ways to relieve anxiety and stress! Share your tips for breaking the cycle.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2005, 5:20 am CDT

Overeating

What are some good ways to stop overeating? I find myself eating just because I am bored and it is getting worse.  

September 9, 2005, 5:24 am CDT

Distract yourself or give in, a little

Quote From: nurse_03

What are some good ways to stop overeating? I find myself eating just because I am bored and it is getting worse.  

If you are bored, try doing somethingelse that you enjoy, or at least that helps.  Make a phone call, draw a piture, fold some origami, load the dishwasher, drink a glass of water, anything. 

Something else I am doing, keep sugar free candy and gum on hand.  When I get the urge for a snack, a slow melting hard piece of sugar free candy satisfies as if I had had the "real thing."  If chewing is the urge, go for the gum. 

September 12, 2005, 7:14 am CDT

Obese without help

I've been overweight since my childhood, now i've got three kids my stomach looks like i'm still 6 months pregnant. I'm 30 and can't fit into sexy clothes I always have to buy baggy clothes so that I can hide my bulging stomach. In my province we don't have gyms nearby worst I can't afford to attend the ones in another town as it is far from where I live. I really have lost hope of ever seeing myself in a tight t-shirt. I've even thought about having a tummy tuck but I can't afford it too so TRUELY i'm lost. This makes me unhappy. I have no idea who to turn to at this point.

September 12, 2005, 9:03 am CDT

You have to help yourself

Quote From: rarybaby

I've been overweight since my childhood, now i've got three kids my stomach looks like i'm still 6 months pregnant. I'm 30 and can't fit into sexy clothes I always have to buy baggy clothes so that I can hide my bulging stomach. In my province we don't have gyms nearby worst I can't afford to attend the ones in another town as it is far from where I live. I really have lost hope of ever seeing myself in a tight t-shirt. I've even thought about having a tummy tuck but I can't afford it too so TRUELY i'm lost. This makes me unhappy. I have no idea who to turn to at this point.
Even a tummy tuck won't help you if you don't learn the lessons needed to stay thin once you get there. Your stomach has an amazing ability to stretch, and there are cases of people going through the operation and getting fat all over again because it was just a quick fix.
Successful weight loss is changing your eating habits and your thought processes for the rest of your life. First, I would get Dr Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss Solution book. It's one of the rare books that takes into consideration the all important mind-set you need.
When it comes to the exercise part, choose things that you can work into your daily life, be more active all day long.  I travel alot, and could use the excuse that there isn't a gym, or eating out contributes to eating badly. I know how hard it is to set aside the time you need, but it CAN  be done. You just need to find it within you to do it. It's a very personal thing, but that's what everybody comes down to.
I chose walking as my aerobic of choice, because when you come down to it, there isn't anywhere on earth you can't walk, unless you're in prison. Next, for muscle building, ( which you need to boost your metabolism and to keep up a steady calorie burn even while you're not exercising,) I chose push ups, squats, lunges, crunches, etc. In other words, any exercise I could think of that didn't need equipment. Hence, I could do my workout in a hotel room, and walk. There really are no excuses when you can do your workout anywhere.
For eating, you have to keep reminding yourself that you are forgoing this momentary pleasure for one that lasts all day, everyday. A mouthful of sweetness lasts about 2 seconds, slim feels good every second of every minute of every hour of every day...etc. In short, nothing tastes as good as slim feels.
It really is a process that begins upstairs in your head. I urge you to get the book, and use the tools you can find here on this website. There could be a weight loss challenge group in your area that you are not even aware of. 
Good Luck!

September 17, 2005, 10:21 am CDT

POOR MAN'S STOMACH GASTROPLASTY OPERATION

DO WHAT I DID.......... buy two dozen 1/2 cup plastic containers.  Prepare food, any thing you like, and  freeze these portion-control cups.  Every hour, eat one....no more.  Next hour, eat another.....continue for a couple of weeks and you will reduce the capacity of your stomach and feed your metabolism . NOW, having done this, you will get a slight stomach ache when you over eat.........I have continued in this manner for three years and have maintained my 40# weight loss EASILY.  

I eat ice cream sundaes, cake, veggies, mashed potatoes, T-bone steak, whipped cream.....ANYTHING.  No calories to count, no worry about carbs....just a good balance of food. When eating out, ask chef to cut the hamburger into quarters, eat one quarter, take the remaining quarters "to go" with you and eat during the next three hours. A banana gets cut into half, or two servings, a piece of pie is 2" square.   This method is not difficult since you KNOW that in one hour, you an eat again. 

September 17, 2005, 10:26 am CDT

POOR MAN'S STOMACH GASTROPLASTY OPERATION

Quote From: zimexlady

DO WHAT I DID.......... buy two dozen 1/2 cup plastic containers.  Prepare food, any thing you like, and  freeze these portion-control cups.  Every hour, eat one....no more.  Next hour, eat another.....continue for a couple of weeks and you will reduce the capacity of your stomach and feed your metabolism . NOW, having done this, you will get a slight stomach ache when you over eat.........I have continued in this manner for three years and have maintained my 40# weight loss EASILY.  

I eat ice cream sundaes, cake, veggies, mashed potatoes, T-bone steak, whipped cream.....ANYTHING.  No calories to count, no worry about carbs....just a good balance of food. When eating out, ask chef to cut the hamburger into quarters, eat one quarter, take the remaining quarters "to go" with you and eat during the next three hours. A banana gets cut into half, or two servings, a piece of pie is 2" square.   This method is not difficult since you KNOW that in one hour, you an eat again. 

.........further to portion control, I MUST add that I walk 2-3 miles per day BETWEEN meals! 

Good Luck! 

September 17, 2005, 10:28 am CDT

OVEREATING

See Poor Man's Stomach gastroplasty operation on this message board.

September 21, 2005, 3:51 pm CDT

just what my ma said

at the risk of sounding like my ma..... you can't eat and clean at the same time....... 

You say you are eating from being bored??  Then dont get bored....clean the house, wash the car, walk the temptation away...at the risk of turning into a compulsive disorder person (joke) clean your way to skinniness....... 

October 9, 2005, 11:09 pm CDT

Over eating

Has anyone ever eat just for the taste? I have ordered diet pills from on line and will not take them because I want to taste the food. Whats wrong with that picture. I know it is a sick thought. Sometimes I feel that food has taken over my mind. I have very little will power. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the way that I do.

October 11, 2005, 11:41 am CDT

I lost weight in rural Canada - no gym!

Quote From: rarybaby

Hi there.  I just wanted to let you know that you don't need a gym, or money or special clothes or ANYTHING to lose weight and exercise.  I did it when I lived on a farm 28 miles from town!!   

When I decided that I was going to DO it - not just talk about it anymore : 

I WALKED every day.  I started with walking 10 minutes (5 minutes from the house, down the gravel road, turn around and 5 minutes back).  In the end I walked an hour a day and loved it.  I walked in the snow even.  It felt good to know that all I needed to change myself was ME!    If I can do it, YOU can do it - without a gym, friends, exercise tapes, money - you just need YOU!! 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last