Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 16, 2007, 12:02 pm CDT

IT'S CHAUNNA I WAS A GUEST 3 YEARS AGO ON DR PHIL!!

HELLO EVERYONE MY NAME IS CHAUNNA I WAS ON DR PHIL TWICE AS A GUEST I WAS A 22 YEAR OLD 308 POUND MOTHER OF TWO THAT THOUGHT MY LAST RESORT WAS GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY UNTIL DR PHIL GOT AHOLD OF ME AND LEAD ME TO BELEIVE OTHERWISE!!! I HAVE NOW LOST OVER 156 POUNDS ON MY OWN WITH DR PHILS HELP OH AND DID I MENTION IM NOW A MOTHER OF 3 KIDS!!! YOU ALL CAN DO IT! IT IS A MIND OVER MATTER THING. I DIDNT HAVE SURGERY I JUST GOT RIGHT ABOUT MY LIFE IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WOULD LOVE TO HELP SOMEONE FEEL LIKE I DO NOW AND TRUST ME WHEN I WENT ON DR. PHIL I THOUGH SURGERY WAS MY ONLY OPTION I WAS MISSERABLE I COULD BARLY STAND TO BE ALIVE!!!!

May 17, 2007, 2:06 am CDT

hello

Quote From: bikequeen1

I enjoy reading advice from people to help me stay motivated while losing weight. Anyone that has ever tried to lose weight knows what a struggle it is to do so.right? It really helps to read comments from others with the same problem to know you are not alone. I have been battling with this problem alot of years. The yo- yo dieting and pounds going off and on. I am once again on another diet and also have started the YMCA to try to help me with excercise program. Keep the good advice coming and Let's support each other through this battle of the bulge! O.K.     

i totally get what you are saying.

i have been struggling to lose weight for the last 3years and sometimes i wonder if its worth the hassle and stress.

recently i have been trying harder and im slowly losing weight.

everytime i feel like i cant be bothered or i start to make excuses i remind myself of how fat i looked and how i cant even stand to see old photos of myself and i start thinking about how great it will be when i can put nice photos of myself in the family album and be proud of  how far i have come.

May 17, 2007, 2:16 am CDT

great tips for losing weight!

recently i was watching a tv program and it was all about weight lose.

here are some that i found useful:

1. soups keep you feeling full for longer as they stretch your stomach and takes longer to be processed keeping your stomach feeling full. by making your own you know how much fats etc is in it.

2. eating more low fat diary products helps lose weight due to the calcium not holding fat instead it passes through you.

3. eat more protein it makes you feel less hungry and gives you energy.

4. use smaller dinner plates as it tricks your brain into thinking you need less as a result you dont overeat.

hope these are as helpful to everyone as they have been to me.

have a awesome day!

May 25, 2007, 4:46 pm CDT

"Rollercoaster"

I really have been struggling with my weight.  I am up and down with eating, exercise and my body image.  I have been trying to increase my exercise by working out during lunchtime (half hour in the gym, half hour to eat).  But I just had braces put on and am finding I am losing weight.  I now eat slowly and really think about what I am eating, how it feels in my mouth and what it tastes like.  I am finding that I am eating less and feel full quicker.  Who would have thought that adult braces could help?  I am hopeful because after 2 1/2 years of wearing these things, I should really have this as a lifestyle. 

May 30, 2007, 4:56 am CDT

read and pray

Quote From: makenzi

Hi, my name is Makenzi and I am 27 years old.  I have been trying to lose weight for years now, and I can't seem to stay motivated to so anything that I need to do to lose it.  I have 5 kids, so you would think that I could stay motivated, but not true.  I do alot to exercise in the day, running after baby mainly.  Anyway, I get really excited about diets and eating healthy and going to the gym when I first start, but after that, the motivation goes, unfortunatly, the will power goes with it.  I try to make excuses, naps, can't afford to buy healthier foods, anything you can imagine I make an excuse of it.  I am not happy with my weight and my body, but when I lose the motivation, I blow it off like, "Oh well".  Anyone have any good advice for me???????????  thank you.

makenzi

Hey Makenzi!  You can do this!!  Dont beat yourself up about past errors, just take it as a learning experience and live today healthy.  I weighed over 400lbs 4years ago.  I lost 215lbs (no gastric bypass) and gained my BA in May, one day at a time.  When I began, the first week my husband brought home 4 boxes of little debbies!!  I knew I had to get over my addiction to sugar and just like anyone else with an addiction that meant abstinance (I still dont eat sugar or low fiber breads).  That was the hardest part.  My advice? Pray!  and read articles and watch programs about people who have accomplished what you are trying to do! (Sounds like an advertisement, but it helps a lot!)

I know all the excuses.  I live on $1000 mo total income, have a developmentally delayed son and an alcoholic husband, fibromyalgia....yada yada yada.  However, for me to be the best I can be for myself and them, I have to take care of myself.  It is not about weight to me anymore, Its about how I feel and function in my life, the next goal, and the future I now can pursue!!!  It's about hope.

Take care.  My prayers are with you.

Sincerely,

Robin

May 30, 2007, 9:18 am CDT

Just getting started...

I'll apologize ahead of time for my "jumbled" posting. For as big as my body seems to be getting, my brain seems to be shrinking and my train of thought is often derailed.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 252 lbs. In February, I weighed 242 lbs., so I realize I'm heading in the wrong direction!

I take a medication that has a side effect of tiredness/lack of energy (and of course, weight gain) and boy is that ever true! My question is how do I  get my motivation started? I don't really eat all that much, just the wrong things and get absolutely NO exercise since I'm laid off. After being up for an hour or two in the morning, I'm ready for a nap! How do I break this vicious cycle and get off my can and do something? I get so tuckered out doing any housework, so I don't do it much.  I also have a messed-up back and there are lots of things I can't do easily or without a lot of pain. My knees are shot, though I'm sure losing about a hundred pounds would help that too.

I'm going to my first Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow night. So, I guess that's a little motivation on my part, but a meeting isn't going to make me wake up at 150 lbs in the morning.

How do people feed their family when they're dieting? I don't have small children, just a 53 year old sig. other and a 22 year old daughter. Being laid off, money is tight and buying for 2 different menus is out of the question.

If anyone can give me some starter hints, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm cutting out non-diet soda totally (I normally only drink diet, but sometimes, I CRAVE a real soda!) , trying to drink more water and such, but I feel that my real problem is lack of exercise. How DO you exercise when you don't have the energy to move?

May 30, 2007, 10:06 am CDT

Staying Motivated

Quote From: chaunna2006

HELLO EVERYONE MY NAME IS CHAUNNA I WAS ON DR PHIL TWICE AS A GUEST I WAS A 22 YEAR OLD 308 POUND MOTHER OF TWO THAT THOUGHT MY LAST RESORT WAS GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY UNTIL DR PHIL GOT AHOLD OF ME AND LEAD ME TO BELEIVE OTHERWISE!!! I HAVE NOW LOST OVER 156 POUNDS ON MY OWN WITH DR PHILS HELP OH AND DID I MENTION IM NOW A MOTHER OF 3 KIDS!!! YOU ALL CAN DO IT! IT IS A MIND OVER MATTER THING. I DIDNT HAVE SURGERY I JUST GOT RIGHT ABOUT MY LIFE IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WOULD LOVE TO HELP SOMEONE FEEL LIKE I DO NOW AND TRUST ME WHEN I WENT ON DR. PHIL I THOUGH SURGERY WAS MY ONLY OPTION I WAS MISSERABLE I COULD BARLY STAND TO BE ALIVE!!!!

is that you in the avatar?

May 30, 2007, 8:01 pm CDT

Staying Motivated

Quote From: ddebss

I'll apologize ahead of time for my "jumbled" posting. For as big as my body seems to be getting, my brain seems to be shrinking and my train of thought is often derailed.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 252 lbs. In February, I weighed 242 lbs., so I realize I'm heading in the wrong direction!

I take a medication that has a side effect of tiredness/lack of energy (and of course, weight gain) and boy is that ever true! My question is how do I  get my motivation started? I don't really eat all that much, just the wrong things and get absolutely NO exercise since I'm laid off. After being up for an hour or two in the morning, I'm ready for a nap! How do I break this vicious cycle and get off my can and do something? I get so tuckered out doing any housework, so I don't do it much.  I also have a messed-up back and there are lots of things I can't do easily or without a lot of pain. My knees are shot, though I'm sure losing about a hundred pounds would help that too.

I'm going to my first Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow night. So, I guess that's a little motivation on my part, but a meeting isn't going to make me wake up at 150 lbs in the morning.

How do people feed their family when they're dieting? I don't have small children, just a 53 year old sig. other and a 22 year old daughter. Being laid off, money is tight and buying for 2 different menus is out of the question.

If anyone can give me some starter hints, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm cutting out non-diet soda totally (I normally only drink diet, but sometimes, I CRAVE a real soda!) , trying to drink more water and such, but I feel that my real problem is lack of exercise. How DO you exercise when you don't have the energy to move?

Just so youll know before I go into my "spill" Ive been there done that.  Have an injured back from a car accident and fibromyalgia.  I was so weak I could hardly walk across the floor at over 400lbs, low income, 2kids and a husband that wasn't giving up anything he liked.  Unfortunately, that seems to be real life.  Bottom line... fix healthy meals and if they want  something extra,  tell them to buy or fix it themselves.  Give yourself  permission to help yourself.  In turn, you will help them.

TALK to your Doctor about what you want to do.  Get her advice re exercise and nutrition!!!

Ok.  the first thing that will help the most in the long run is to abstain from anything with sugar in it for at least 2 weeks.  That includes starches, which turn to sugar in the body ie. bread sugar pasta, rice, and anything white.  If you are anything like I was, these foods put you on a rollercoaster energy-wise.  Eat them=feel better then crash.. so.. Eat=feel better then crash etc.  (I still only eat high fiber flat bread and no sugar...it tastes nasty now!).  Protein, fresh vegetables and salad stays with you longer and will level out your energy.

Cost:  Chicken is cheap-remove the skin, use lots of good seasonings

Hamburger meat can be prepared many ways..drain the fat, squeeze it in a paper towel and don't eat it every meal.  Broccoli is inexpensive this time of year (1.30 a bunch in MS)  Frozen green beans are wonderful.  Cauliflower is a bit of a financial splurge for me, but makes great fake mashed potatoes!!  Buy the meat on sale and be creative!!! There are lots of websites with great recipes- look for lo-carb, lo cal, sugar free  etc..  Believe me, it can be done..Are you up to it?

Exercise?.  I spent the first six months doing small amounts of resistance training with bands in a chair, just a few at a time.  As often as possible, I tried to make myself take extra steps...Park a few spaces further, use a shopping cart instead of a electric rider, return the shopping cart as often as possible.  As i became stronger, I began to walk to the next house... then the next.

After 6 months, I joined the Y.  The first day I could only walk on the treadmill 5 minutes at 2mph without resting.

Maybe your case is not this severe.  The point is...do something....just a little more...just a little more.  Not what Jane next door can do.  But what you can do!  Just remember, YOU CAN do more than you think you can.  Stretch!!  often.  Not only your body but your expectations of yourself.  YES, you can.  Yes you are able.  How bad do you need or want it?  Pray, watch inspirational shows about your goals, read magazine articles about others who have accomplished them.  TALK to your friends!!!    

Well, I know this is long.  Better stop now.  Im not going to wish you luck, because it has nothing to do with it.  My prayers will be with you.  I don't know how all this message board stuff works, but feel free to contact me--however.

Sincerely,

Robin

May 31, 2007, 8:54 am CDT

Pleased to meet you!

Quote From: chaunna2006

I could use a little motivation right now. I just moved over 1000 miles away from my kids and everybody I know for my husband. He has been unhappy in his job for some time now, but I always talked him into staying so the kids could finish school. (I was dragged all over the country when I was young and hated it!)
But now it's just he and I, so when a job offer came along that seemed exactly what he's been wanting, I gave my blessing to go for it. I have gained some weight due to not keeping up my exercise and eating routines due to the stress of the move and everything that goes with it.
Here is my main problem: my husband is somewhat of a controlling person, and doesn't mind me losing weight up to a point. I have no intention of cheating or shopping around, but he seems to think I will because his last wife did. When I get to a weight that is just above my ideal range, he begins putting on the pressure by pushing food, making comments aimed at making me feel like I'm being self-centered, and endless checking up on me. I have discussed all of this with him, pointed out what he does when he does it, but he persists.
What I need is the ability to persevere and the callousness, if you will, to shrug off his fears. I know that when I get to the weight I want to be he will be reassured by my actions and behavior that it's OK. Getting there in the face of his roadblocks is another story. That and the loneliness I'm feeling right now. I'm currently looking into local gyms etc to get out there and make new friends.
Anyway, thanks for chance to unload.  The doc is a god ain't he?

June 2, 2007, 11:15 am CDT

Wonderfull

Quote From: lisakat60

Hi there,

I lost 41 lbs, (weight watchers without the meetings) gained back about 10, and was stabilized there. (137) I have been off work 14 months, and have had 5 surgeries- two of them on my foot. I have gained weight and now weigh in at 173. The best weight for me is 120-125. I am not quite 5'  2" losing 48-53 pounds at age 45 is scary, and I agree about the small goals.

I didn't do any exercise last time, and now I am so out of shape I am concerned about the ability to do my job. I am getting ready to go and walk a track near my house now that the heat has broken. I am thinking of trying Pilates and lifting free weights too. I have 6 weeks to get fit enough to work a 40 hour week in a factory,which I will have not done in 16 months!!!!!

ANY tips would be appriciated!!!!

Lisa

Lisa,

I logged in and read your story of your weight loss. Wow you go girl. I lost 103 pounds and have kept it off now 2 yrs. It is hard and you have to learn a whole new way of eating food. I have lost friends due to I no longer eat what is called junk. I watch it. I went from a size 18 to now a size 3-4. Just remember that you have come a long way and do not look back. I still have to excersice and do not eat late at nite. and I am 5ft3. My owm mother can not believe how much i have lost and sometimes tells me that i need to eat more. Well I eat ,just the helthy stuff. Keep your hard work and stand up and pat yourself on the back.. Good for you..

Anita

First | Prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next | Last