Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 5, 2007, 6:12 am CDT

Feeling better!

I have started exercising daily by hitting the treadmill first thing in the morning. My husband has gone off to his new job so is not eating in front of me, or pushing food when I'm truly not hungry. I've only lost 1/2 pound in the last 2 days, but I already feel better.
I love the feeling I get when I'm in control and losing weight. I will keep this in front of me and remind myself how miserable tight clothes and self-consciousness can be when I'm tempted to go off my routines.

June 10, 2007, 4:59 am CDT

Staying Motivated

I have injured my foot after doing my walks 4 times a week! This is going to be hard to find another exercise to keep me off the food!

June 10, 2007, 5:34 am CDT

motivation that lasts? what's that.

I'm 5'7", 204 pounds and 44 years old.  I get motivated, eat the right foods, do my walking 30 minutes every morning but it only lasts (at the most) 2 weeks.  I loose maybe 4-5 pounds and then something happens.  I lose my motivation, money problems, etc.  It makes me just want to go to the grocery store and buy all junk food, then my weight jumps back up.   I'm tired of the rollercoaster.  I haven't been back under 200 in a while now.  I'm stuck there.  I live out in the country so my walking consists of country roads which is okay as long as it is early because the heat gets so bad. With the gas prices the way they are driving to a gym every day or so is too much on our budget.   I have  two boys in their teens who eat all of the time. (they are not overweight).  My husband of 18 years is supportive in anything I do.  He doesn't criticize my weight, but I don't hear much praise either.   I've been to a nutritionist, I know what to eat and what not to eat.   I'm just tired of the fact I cannot get out of this slump.  I've bought diet books, exercise books, they last me about a week and then it's off the bandwagon again.  Any help would be appreciated.

June 10, 2007, 6:12 am CDT

I hear you!

Quote From: susanb83

I'm 5'7", 204 pounds and 44 years old.  I get motivated, eat the right foods, do my walking 30 minutes every morning but it only lasts (at the most) 2 weeks.  I loose maybe 4-5 pounds and then something happens.  I lose my motivation, money problems, etc.  It makes me just want to go to the grocery store and buy all junk food, then my weight jumps back up.   I'm tired of the rollercoaster.  I haven't been back under 200 in a while now.  I'm stuck there.  I live out in the country so my walking consists of country roads which is okay as long as it is early because the heat gets so bad. With the gas prices the way they are driving to a gym every day or so is too much on our budget.   I have  two boys in their teens who eat all of the time. (they are not overweight).  My husband of 18 years is supportive in anything I do.  He doesn't criticize my weight, but I don't hear much praise either.   I've been to a nutritionist, I know what to eat and what not to eat.   I'm just tired of the fact I cannot get out of this slump.  I've bought diet books, exercise books, they last me about a week and then it's off the bandwagon again.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm right where you are, getting the habits started and keeping them going.  That really IS the secret to it- making exercise a lifetime habit.
The 2 weeks you do well is the length of your willpower. After the willpower leaves, you must have made a habit of your behavior, or you will stop. I liken it to brushing my teeth, I wouldn't leave the house in the morning without doing that. So it goes with my walking. I'm getting up and doing it first thing so that it is over and done with.
You have to BE the kind of person that is active and healthy. And what do active healthy do? They DO active things.  Dr Phil puts it this way: you are now living a life that supports your size and shape. You have to adopt a different lifestyle, one that supports the size and shape that you want to be.
One thing I found extremely useful was hypnotherapy for weight loss.  After a session I felt like I did when I was a kid, going for a walk was play and not a chore. It helped me to change me attitude. It's not a guarantee or a magic bullet, but you might want to look into it.

June 12, 2007, 8:01 am CDT

Staying Motivated

Quote From: ritehere

I have started exercising daily by hitting the treadmill first thing in the morning. My husband has gone off to his new job so is not eating in front of me, or pushing food when I'm truly not hungry. I've only lost 1/2 pound in the last 2 days, but I already feel better.
I love the feeling I get when I'm in control and losing weight. I will keep this in front of me and remind myself how miserable tight clothes and self-consciousness can be when I'm tempted to go off my routines.
I would love to have a treadmill. I get self consious on the road. Glad you are feeling better and losing weight. Keep up the good work  MB

June 13, 2007, 9:29 am CDT

It's NICE!

Quote From: mbsassy

I would love to have a treadmill. I get self consious on the road. Glad you are feeling better and losing weight. Keep up the good work  MB
 I love my treadmill. My husband has always been a fitness freak, so when we bought it he insisted on a good one. It has lasted us about 7 years now of hard use, and is still running smoothly, so it was worth it.

I've added Curves to my regimen. Now, I get up and go first thing in the AM. I'm still doing my treadmill, but every other day.  I get shin splints, so keeping my heart rate up is difficult on the treadmill. That's why I've begun going to Curves, it's a great 30-min. workout. I've gained 1 1/2 lbs but I know it's from muscle-building because my pants are feeling much better.

I can relate to being self-conscious, I used to be too. You gotta push yourself and "just do it!"
I'm not as slim or muscular as others, heck my workout clothes are old T-shirts and sweat pants. But when I get started I let the world fall away and just lose myself in the movement. My exercise time is a great time to meditate and focus.

July 2, 2007, 1:24 pm CDT

trouble being motivated

I just started to go back to the gym I am having problems staying motivated.  I have about 50npounds to lose and I haven't been so lost HELP!

July 5, 2007, 1:39 pm CDT

Trying to keep going

Hi everyone

I am new to the message board and since I record Dr. Phil every day I wanted to check out his site to see if there was anyone in my shoes...

Last year if you look at my profile pic (I dont have a more recent one) you can tell I was overweight...but you would be shocked to hear I weighed in close to 300 lbs.  Presently, I recently weighed in under 200 lbs.  I feel better I have lost so much but I still have to loose 60-70 lbs more.  I just feel a lil discouragement every now and then, but I guess that is to be expected!

Thanks

Chris

July 6, 2007, 6:03 pm CDT

Hi Chris

Quote From: browneyesnohio

Hi everyone

I am new to the message board and since I record Dr. Phil every day I wanted to check out his site to see if there was anyone in my shoes...

Last year if you look at my profile pic (I dont have a more recent one) you can tell I was overweight...but you would be shocked to hear I weighed in close to 300 lbs.  Presently, I recently weighed in under 200 lbs.  I feel better I have lost so much but I still have to loose 60-70 lbs more.  I just feel a lil discouragement every now and then, but I guess that is to be expected!

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on the weight loss! I an new to this board again too. Haven't been here in a few  years. I was having very little success in losing weight. But last year I was able to get off of Paxil and wahoo I can exercise again and lose weight. I am at 195 now, so we are close in weight. I am 55 and a year ago I started walking for about 45 minutes six mornings a week. At 8 months I switched to a mountain bike (it was given to me on our local freecycle group). After a couple of months my hubby bought us both new bikes. Landrider bikes that shift themselves. We now ride five miles every morning together. I lost my previouse exercise partner and I miss her, but he stepped up to the plate for me. I have come to far to go back. I have lost #32 lbs without dieting and my depression is mostly non existent. Hope we can be of encouragement to one another.

Curvesarein

in Arizona

July 13, 2007, 5:39 am CDT

Work-out Buddy ???????

Help............I am looking for that "miracle"  that will put me in that frame of mind of were I need to be!!!!!! I have a treadmill, air stepper, a wheel you roll on the floor for a tight stomach, a Pilate's performer, brought a bike ,( but it was too small),  resistance bands, hand weights, leg weights, 3 pedometers, a jog proof CD player, a new cassette player to play my old tapes (the oldies). I keep telling myself if I find the right piece of equipment I will stick with it !!!! I even joined Curves for 3 months in the winter. There was a part of me to say "accept it", but no one else wants to (family). And friends I haven't seen in a while don't even recognize me now !!!!! Looking for someone to help each other in staying motivated !!!!! I need to lose 42 pounds by Christmas, that is my goal. My eating is under control now, it's just the exercise I can't get a handle on !!!!! If I do the treadmill 3 days in a row that's WOW for me, the air stepper maybe 2 minutes on a good day (can't adjust it, darn it's hard). And the Pilate's, who knew it is for just toning, I need to LOSE WEIGHT !!!!!!

First | Prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next | Last