Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 16, 2007, 9:29 am CDT

Staying Motivated

Quote From: ritehere

I love my treadmill. My husband has always been a fitness freak, so when we bought it he insisted on a good one. It has lasted us about 7 years now of hard use, and is still running smoothly, so it was worth it.

I've added Curves to my regimen. Now, I get up and go first thing in the AM. I'm still doing my treadmill, but every other day.  I get shin splints, so keeping my heart rate up is difficult on the treadmill. That's why I've begun going to Curves, it's a great 30-min. workout. I've gained 1 1/2 lbs but I know it's from muscle-building because my pants are feeling much better.

I can relate to being self-conscious, I used to be too. You gotta push yourself and "just do it!"
I'm not as slim or muscular as others, heck my workout clothes are old T-shirts and sweat pants. But when I get started I let the world fall away and just lose myself in the movement. My exercise time is a great time to meditate and focus.
I wish my husband was more into fitness and less into the drive thru! It's not that I love him less but he doesn't share my victories. They make him feel bad. So I end up keeping it from him  MB

July 23, 2007, 8:57 am CDT

Lack of Motivation

I have been working out since August of 2006. I hired a personal trainer. I was doing great. I started at 173 pounds, and by December I was about 155. I was with the trainer till December of 2006. I didn't have the money to resign the contract. I tried so hard to do it on my own. I went back to fast food and eating what I wanted, when I wanted. I went up to 160 pounds. I felt fatter than ever. It was ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. So I called my trainer and said I wanted him back. I went to the gym and hired him for 3 more months. I maxed out my credit card......AGAIN! It is still hard. He has been on vacation for the month of July. He says that he might not come back. The contract is not up.....I hope I get my money back.....but that is another story. I don't know what I will do without him. My relationship is back on track. I feel good about myself. I do cheat every once in a while. My trainer said to train with this other trainer named Steve. I don't want Steve, I want him. I paid for him. He is the only trainer who will put up with me. Other trainers have come up to us while we are working out and say that if I were their client, they would recommend me to someone else because they can't put up with me. Lets just say I complain the whole time. So anyway, I would have to do 400 calories on the eliptical 4 times days week and do my weight training with my trainer 2 days out of the week. I don't know if this helps, but I just recently went back to the gym and instead of doing 400 calories, I am on the eliptical for 30 minutes. It cuts the calories down, but I feel more motivated to go to the gym. With doing it by calories, it felt like 2 hours when it was only like 45 min. I plan on upping the minutes every 2 weeks or so. I won't pass an hour tho. I hope this helps for people who need to get motivated. I am not really doing any weight training now, but my trainer said to do the power flex classes. I might also do a spinning class once or twice a week. I am working hard on the eating. I actaully turned down Checkers twice yesterday and once on Friday (ok, so i had a banana shake...lol)....I was so proud of myself. I feel so much better. I am so scared that I will lose my motivation again tho. I always work out for like 3 weeks and then stop for 3 weeks. And the cycle continues. So yeah. That is my workout plan....or lack thereof.

August 2, 2007, 7:19 am CDT

motivation severely lacking

I WANT to lose weight, I WANT to exercise, but I have absolutely no motivation for doing so. I'm the type of person that needs someone to do it with me to keep me motivated. The problem is I don't know anyone and I am not a very social person. If anyone has any ideas on how I can acheive my goals please help! 

August 8, 2007, 9:40 am CDT

Trainer

Quote From: heavywithworry

I WANT to lose weight, I WANT to exercise, but I have absolutely no motivation for doing so. I'm the type of person that needs someone to do it with me to keep me motivated. The problem is I don't know anyone and I am not a very social person. If anyone has any ideas on how I can acheive my goals please help! 
I was the same way. I started with a personal trainer. Most gyms have personal trainers. It is pretty costly....but it is worth it.

August 24, 2007, 6:24 pm CDT

What if

I have a question. What happens if you can't really do a whole lot of exercising due to a back injury. I need some help, advice or something on how else I can get this weight off..ugh I am so unhappy with the way I look and feel and with out being able to exercise how do I do it?

Thank you

September 25, 2007, 9:27 am CDT

Moderators -- please help me

Everyone else sorry to post this here but I tried to send a message to tech support and it jst reroutes me to the home page. I can't post (or even read) Weight Loss Discusssions and Weight Loss Buddies --it gives me an error message about adobe flash player 9 slowing computer and then whether I abort or not it crashes my computer. Please help as I miss my weight loss support.... Thanks in advance. Trish Shields (trish51948@verizon.net)

September 26, 2007, 7:56 am CDT

I still can't get to tech support -- and I don't see yesterday message to know if this posted...PLEASE HELP ME!

At least I can post here -- know of many others who have contacted me via email who can't even log into this site! We have tried to conact tech support but i either logs us off or send us back to the hme page. I have beenlooking for a phone number for teh support if anyone has it coudl you please email me at trish51948@verizon.net. Moderators please pass on this information for me...thank you. Sorry to post this here..thanks again. Trish

September 27, 2007, 4:40 pm CDT

Reading up on new ways to exercise

findyourdetour.com does just that! I stumbled across this site and became motivated to try out rock climbing and now i go rock climbing as 4-5 times a year and enjoy it so much!

September 28, 2007, 12:48 pm CDT

Try swimming... its a really great idea because not only does it give your body a good work out but it also puts less pressure on your joints ... so your foot won't hurt... check out [url]http://www.findyourdetour.com/[/url] they have some really great tips on there for a new work out and how to get the best results..

October 5, 2007, 12:35 pm CDT

Staying Motivated

Hi, 

My name is Kadi, I'm 30 years old and I'm a stay-at-home mother of two toddlers.

I have lost my motivation again. In 2006 I went from 237 lbs down to 182 lbs with the help Dr Phil's UWS and lots of motivation. Somehow I managed to lose all my "want to" and I went back to my old habits and was soon up at 203 lbs again. Since March 2007 I got myself somewhat together again and by July I was down to 177 lbs. I wasn't doing very good on the eating part though, almost every week I had a day or two of bingeing, but I lost the weight anyway because I was so keen on the exercise. I discovered a great running programme and I learned to run 10K. I just loved to run. Somehow, since August I have slipped back. I weigh nearly 200 lbs again, 198 to be exact. I'm 5'9" by the way. I feel fatter than ever. I hate what I've done to myself. I hate that all my clothes feel so snug, I hate that I'm so tired all the time. I hate that I'm not in charge of myself what so ever. But - I don't have the confidence to start again. I know that I'll probably be good, eat healthy, make time for exercise etc - from Monday to Thursday, but then I'd be defeated again by an other hunger-panic attack and not know anything better than a big carton of icecream while watching some sitcom. I just feel like I couldn't take yet an other failed attempt, I'm already disappointed enough in myself. Still, I don't want to go back to my starting weight of 237 lbs. I have to do something and this current lifestyle isn't getting me anywhere... I just don't know what happened to me. I had a great running and fitness thing going on and then, all of a sudden I'm like out of breath. It's like have no energy left to do anything about it. If I was to complete the readiness profile in the beginning of dr Phil's book, I would fail big time. I have incarcerated myself into the comfort zone...

Thanks for anyone who had the energy to read such a depressing story...

First | Prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next | Last