Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 9, 2007, 5:53 pm CDT

Swimming Upstream

About ten yrs ago, I lost 130 lbs through hypnosis.  In the time since then, I have slowly put 60 lbs back on.  I have been diagnosed with some health issues, such as; sarcoidosis, degenerative arthritis in my spine and neck, neuropathy,and most recently, a pinched nerve in my back.  I am on prednisone, a steroid, for the sarcoidosis, which causes weight gain and increase of appetite. Not to mention, the mood swings can be so hard to deal with.  I was told by my Dr. that no matter how hard i try, it is not likely that i will lose weight and, in fact, chances are I will gain.  Many people tell me that it is out of my control, so I may as well eat what I want.  But, I am scared to death that I will return to my highest weight, or worse yet, maybe even weigh more than ever.  I am open to anything anyone might have to offer, in terms of encouragement, inspiration, or just a kind word.  Thanks,  Rosemary83060

October 23, 2007, 7:04 am CDT

put yourself first

Two years ago, I got good and mad at myself, and the position I put myself in at 120 lbs. overweight. My insurance co. was going to make me jump thru so darn many hoops (thank God) for bypass surgery that I went out and bought books and educated myself about healthy eating and exercise. It took a year and a half, but I lost 100 lbs. I feel a thousand times better now, I think I am a better mom, and I enjoy life again. That is all the motivation I need..I don't ever want to be that depressed and miserable again. I walk an hour a day..I love it, it is my stress reliever, my time to think, my 'me' time. I had to start out slow..about 6 blocks was all I could do in the beginning..but I just kept at it, adding time  and distance as I was able. Would I like to lose the last 20 lbs or so?? Sure.. but for now, I am happier doing my healthy eating during the week, and indulging some on the weekends. So..I maintain for now.   An added note..I know lots of folks that had the surgery..most have put the weight back on, unfortunately. It doesn't fix the problem, which for the majority of us is we use food as a comfort, or we don't take the time to eat right.  Our health is everything folks..its our job to make it a priority. Just START !!

October 24, 2007, 10:50 pm CDT

Keep he faith

Quote From: rosemary83060

About ten yrs ago, I lost 130 lbs through hypnosis.  In the time since then, I have slowly put 60 lbs back on.  I have been diagnosed with some health issues, such as; sarcoidosis, degenerative arthritis in my spine and neck, neuropathy,and most recently, a pinched nerve in my back.  I am on prednisone, a steroid, for the sarcoidosis, which causes weight gain and increase of appetite. Not to mention, the mood swings can be so hard to deal with.  I was told by my Dr. that no matter how hard i try, it is not likely that i will lose weight and, in fact, chances are I will gain.  Many people tell me that it is out of my control, so I may as well eat what I want.  But, I am scared to death that I will return to my highest weight, or worse yet, maybe even weigh more than ever.  I am open to anything anyone might have to offer, in terms of encouragement, inspiration, or just a kind word.  Thanks,  Rosemary83060
 Hi.. I feel your frustration and fear.  I would like to encourage you to become your ow advicate.. go to the library and read  up on food, nutrition   and natural healing. Read Suzanne Sommers Ageless; Kevn Trudeau's  books. Knowledge is power Rosemary . Modern  medicine doesn't aways have all the answers.  Just read, and learn, and take your life back. YOU CAN DO IT !!!  Pehaps a mixture of good food, meditation, and meds  the answer.. that is for you to decide ... good luck

October 24, 2007, 11:01 pm CDT

Try Again

Quote From: kadikadi

Hi, 

My name is Kadi, I'm 30 years old and I'm a stay-at-home mother of two toddlers.

I have lost my motivation again. In 2006 I went from 237 lbs down to 182 lbs with the help Dr Phil's UWS and lots of motivation. Somehow I managed to lose all my "want to" and I went back to my old habits and was soon up at 203 lbs again. Since March 2007 I got myself somewhat together again and by July I was down to 177 lbs. I wasn't doing very good on the eating part though, almost every week I had a day or two of bingeing, but I lost the weight anyway because I was so keen on the exercise. I discovered a great running programme and I learned to run 10K. I just loved to run. Somehow, since August I have slipped back. I weigh nearly 200 lbs again, 198 to be exact. I'm 5'9" by the way. I feel fatter than ever. I hate what I've done to myself. I hate that all my clothes feel so snug, I hate that I'm so tired all the time. I hate that I'm not in charge of myself what so ever. But - I don't have the confidence to start again. I know that I'll probably be good, eat healthy, make time for exercise etc - from Monday to Thursday, but then I'd be defeated again by an other hunger-panic attack and not know anything better than a big carton of icecream while watching some sitcom. I just feel like I couldn't take yet an other failed attempt, I'm already disappointed enough in myself. Still, I don't want to go back to my starting weight of 237 lbs. I have to do something and this current lifestyle isn't getting me anywhere... I just don't know what happened to me. I had a great running and fitness thing going on and then, all of a sudden I'm like out of breath. It's like have no energy left to do anything about it. If I was to complete the readiness profile in the beginning of dr Phil's book, I would fail big time. I have incarcerated myself into the comfort zone...

Thanks for anyone who had the energy to read such a depressing story...

Look. You are human..which means you will make mistakes. Remember how good it made you feel when you were running? And you knew food wasn't a drug, or a comfort...but merely fuel ??  So.. you fell down.   We all do. Get back up..you know how... and yes..you are so worth it.. your kids need a mom  who is healthy and happy.. show them how it's done. You could run 10K for crying out loud !!! WHOO-HOO! That's awesome... you go girl.. just go.

November 1, 2007, 7:03 am CDT

Kadi,

Quote From: kadikadi

Hi, 

My name is Kadi, I'm 30 years old and I'm a stay-at-home mother of two toddlers.

I have lost my motivation again. In 2006 I went from 237 lbs down to 182 lbs with the help Dr Phil's UWS and lots of motivation. Somehow I managed to lose all my "want to" and I went back to my old habits and was soon up at 203 lbs again. Since March 2007 I got myself somewhat together again and by July I was down to 177 lbs. I wasn't doing very good on the eating part though, almost every week I had a day or two of bingeing, but I lost the weight anyway because I was so keen on the exercise. I discovered a great running programme and I learned to run 10K. I just loved to run. Somehow, since August I have slipped back. I weigh nearly 200 lbs again, 198 to be exact. I'm 5'9" by the way. I feel fatter than ever. I hate what I've done to myself. I hate that all my clothes feel so snug, I hate that I'm so tired all the time. I hate that I'm not in charge of myself what so ever. But - I don't have the confidence to start again. I know that I'll probably be good, eat healthy, make time for exercise etc - from Monday to Thursday, but then I'd be defeated again by an other hunger-panic attack and not know anything better than a big carton of icecream while watching some sitcom. I just feel like I couldn't take yet an other failed attempt, I'm already disappointed enough in myself. Still, I don't want to go back to my starting weight of 237 lbs. I have to do something and this current lifestyle isn't getting me anywhere... I just don't know what happened to me. I had a great running and fitness thing going on and then, all of a sudden I'm like out of breath. It's like have no energy left to do anything about it. If I was to complete the readiness profile in the beginning of dr Phil's book, I would fail big time. I have incarcerated myself into the comfort zone...

Thanks for anyone who had the energy to read such a depressing story...

I think I may know part of your problem. You mention alot of hate in your post- you hate what you've done to yourself, the snugness of your clothes, being tired, feeling out of control, low self confidence.
I suspect that you have pervasive feelings of dislike for yourself because of all the negative things you say to yourself. Put this together with the triggers for your overeating and you have what you have.
You are confusing will-power with motivation. And I suspect that you overeat when you are stressed about something. And then you feel guilty because you failed yourself again.
Does this sound about right?
Here are some thnigs to think about and integrate into your thinking patterns to help you out:
1) Stop thinking of yourself as a "failure", there are no failures in life, only results and outcomes. REALLY learn this one because it's important. How could you be any other size and shape than you are now, given what you eat and your lifestyle? Unless you have a metabolic problem, you are a total success of the habits you keep. Once you accept this at the core of your belief system, you can begin to stop thinking of yourself as a failure and start thinking of yourself as someone with a few bad habits that need to change.
2) Everytime you find yourself heading to the cabinets or refrigerator because you feel "hungry" and are on the verge of eating something that will only make you feel guilty later, stop and try to pinpoint your emotions. Are you bored? Are you sad? Are you frustrated? Are you angry? Are you procrastinating? What exactly are you feeling? This can be difficult to pinpoint at first, but with practice you'll get to be on intimate terms with your triggers. Once you know what they are, you can replace your mindless "fix" of eating to calm the stress with a new habit or activity that actually does a better job of solving the emotions. And you won't get the guilt trip either!
3) Commit yourself to the concept of  "until." It's important to set a date for the completion of your goal, but it's just as important to realize that should you not meet the date you set, you will still be thinner and more healthy than you are now. Things happen, expect to be sidetracked from time to time or to hit plateaus. What you are doing is changing your lifestyle, it's not a one-time thing that you will abandon once you get to the weight, size, or shape that you are happy with. Face it, you and I both know that going back to the old habits gets you right back to the old shape doesn't it? (Again, it's that first rule- you are a complete success of the habits you keep!) So, if you just decide that eating healthy and getting exercise is a life-long habit that you will never abandon, but may occasionally get sidetracked from, then you commit to staying slim for the rest of your life. You will stick with your program "until" and then maybe adjust food portions and exercise to maintain, but it's for the rest of your life, just as brushing your teeth is a life-long habit.
And stop the depression. Look into ways to put more joy in your life, depression is a waste of time.

November 1, 2007, 7:20 am CDT

Encouragement

Quote From: rosemary83060

Rosemary, you're being fed some negative suggestions that you don't have to take as your personal truth. I've also had hypnotherapy, and as you well know, it worked because you wanted it to and there were things suggested to you that held truth for you.
Just because others have had weight gain with these meds doesn't mean you have to too. I'm sure that there are examples of people who did not gain weight. You have foreknowledge that you MAY experience mood swings or increased appetite. Maybe that will make it easier to get back on equilibrium. When you feel out of sorts or hungry at inappropriate times you can chalk it up to the meds and move on. At least you won't have to sit around self analyzing what you REALLY want that you are fulfilling with food like the rest of us! hee hee!
You are seeing this as a mountain of a problem. Tear it down to size, see it as manageable and you will have more control.

November 1, 2007, 7:24 am CDT

Congratulations!

Quote From: sercac

Two years ago, I got good and mad at myself, and the position I put myself in at 120 lbs. overweight. My insurance co. was going to make me jump thru so darn many hoops (thank God) for bypass surgery that I went out and bought books and educated myself about healthy eating and exercise. It took a year and a half, but I lost 100 lbs. I feel a thousand times better now, I think I am a better mom, and I enjoy life again. That is all the motivation I need..I don't ever want to be that depressed and miserable again. I walk an hour a day..I love it, it is my stress reliever, my time to think, my 'me' time. I had to start out slow..about 6 blocks was all I could do in the beginning..but I just kept at it, adding time  and distance as I was able. Would I like to lose the last 20 lbs or so?? Sure.. but for now, I am happier doing my healthy eating during the week, and indulging some on the weekends. So..I maintain for now.   An added note..I know lots of folks that had the surgery..most have put the weight back on, unfortunately. It doesn't fix the problem, which for the majority of us is we use food as a comfort, or we don't take the time to eat right.  Our health is everything folks..its our job to make it a priority. Just START !!
 You're my inspiration for today! Isn't it wonderful how losing weight not only makes you feel more comfortable and graceful physically, but opens doors in your mind also.
Keep up the good work.

December 31, 2007, 1:04 am CST

Thank you

Thank you Ritehere and Sercac for your encouringing! I hadn't visited the message boards for a few months and look what I found here :-)

I stood up and took up my healthy routine again for a few weeks ago. What got me doing this was the fact that I didn't want to get up in the morning any more when I was eating so much. I was overeating all day everyday and gaining so much weight, so I felt so guilty. I was miserable the first moment I got up every morning. So I decided that I want to live my life in a way I can feel good about myself. That's so simple actually and so sad that I didn't realize it 50 lbs ago, but yeah, I'm human and I'm learning from my mistakes.

I'm focusing on my motivation, the way I want to feel - I want to feel good about myself, be healthy, look good and change from the inside out. Thank god for Dr Phil's book and message boards :-)

Sercac, thank you for your inspiring success story! It was so motivating that I went and did my today's workout on the treadmill right after reading your story :-)

Happy New Year!

January 7, 2008, 4:54 pm CST

Weight Crushing Dreams

My current weight problem is crushing my dream and goal to become a Broadway Star... my busy life attending Theatre school disables me to eat healthy and work out often. I am too afraid to attend Theatre School for performing because of my weight and therefore am at school for production. Which is not what I really want to do. This is so frustrating and on top of that i need someone in my life to love and I can't even find that. Please is someone has any advice for me that would be great and much appreciated!!

January 9, 2008, 1:54 pm CST

Staying Motivated

Quote From: ritehere

You're my inspiration for today! Isn't it wonderful how losing weight not only makes you feel more comfortable and graceful physically, but opens doors in your mind also.
Keep up the good work.

HELLO,

I WAS WANTING SOME ADVICE ON GETTING STARTED AND LOSING THE WEIGHT I NEED TO LOSE. WOULD YOU TELLME HOW YOU DID IT.

First | Prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next | Last