Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 27, 2005, 1:16 am CST

How did you do?

Dear Everyone, 

My Thanksgiving was ok! I ate only one small plate of food, and a very small piece of pumpkin pie.......BUT yesterday and today I ate 2 pieces of pumpkin pie...I didn't do well...BUT I am back in the saddle again and will try to do better in the next coming days since all of the leftovers are gone! It's like smoking ....you just got to quit doing it till you finally quit for the last time!...LOL 

Love & Hope 

Erica 

November 27, 2005, 7:28 pm CST

Good for you Erica!

Quote From: ebooze

Dear Everyone, 

My Thanksgiving was ok! I ate only one small plate of food, and a very small piece of pumpkin pie.......BUT yesterday and today I ate 2 pieces of pumpkin pie...I didn't do well...BUT I am back in the saddle again and will try to do better in the next coming days since all of the leftovers are gone! It's like smoking ....you just got to quit doing it till you finally quit for the last time!...LOL 

Love & Hope 

Erica 

I didn't do too badly on the eating, I would have maintained weight if I had worked out more. I missed some days due to not scheduling my time better. I kind of fly by the seat of my pants, and it was my downfall. I gained back one of the 5 lbs I lost. So now I know what I need to work on.

Chapter 5 was an eye-opener. I've identified some deep seated Labels/filters that I've had for so long that I never questioned them. One was I have a "one-track" mind. When I figured this one out, after pages of writing, it was like a lightening bolt struck. I can see how thinking this way keeps me from reaching my goal. In essense, I tell myself that if I can't concentrate on one thing at a time, this time being weight loss, I will fail because I'm not good at multi-tasking. This is so not true! And it's been keeping me from getting where I want to go. I don't even remember where I picked up this idea, but I've labeled myself that for years, and I've been living up to it ever since.

This week may be another challenge, I'm going out of town tomarrow for a week. I'm pretty sure I'll have ample time to work out, but I'll be at the mercy of other's cooking. I'm pretty good at avoiding foods at restaurants, but I have a hard time saying no to food that others have prepared for me. It seems so rude to ask for specially prepared foods. I will have to make up with smaller portions and extra work outs.

Resiliency is my watch word lately.

November 30, 2005, 6:27 pm CST

Loosing the last few lbs

Quote From: myfitlog

That is awesome! I am just starting out with trying to lose weight and have decided to keep an online journal of, well, my journey. I've been doing it for a little over a week, so far so good. But I'm not stupid - I do know there will be tough times ahead. Reading stories like yours is really inspiring to me and gives me the motivation I need. Do you know of any online support groups? Again, that is awesome that you are so close to your goal! I know I don't know you, but I know what it's like, and I'm proud of you and hope to one day be where you are at - satisfied. Thank you again for the inspiration.

-M

Hey, 

Btw congradulations on loosing so much weight and staying on track with your progress, that is truly something to be proud of. My situation is a bit different, I'm desperately trying to get rid of these 5 vanity pounds and am finding it to be difficult to attempt without having to drastically change my diet...and I have yet to burn this last bunch of blubber off of myself. What's your inspirtaion to keep at it?  

December 8, 2005, 7:44 am CST

Staying motivated

Well, after 4 weeks I'm back where I started. I've documented my overeating, dieting and exercise lapses elsewhere, so I won't get into that.
I haven't given up though. I've lost a substantial amount of weight before, so I know I can do it, and I know it feels heavenly! I chose to learn the lessons I needed from my backsliding, which is that my major stumbling blocks are around family and friends. I need a plan ahead of time and to set boundaries with some people. I found that really listening to my self-talk and how I justified my actions was the biggest clue in teaching my how to get past this type of self-sabotage. I feel empowered and ready to take on the next challenge which is coming up tomarrow night at a Christmas dinner. And then, I have another one out of town next week, so I'll get to practice my new skills. I realize that this is just life, and if I'm going to be successful in the long run and not just lose weight and then gain it all back, I have to learn these lessons. So, I gained back the 5lbs I lost, but I didn't get heavier than when I started my diet, which is a good thing. BTW, for anyone out there following along, I'm on chapter 6 this week, Key 3: A no-fail environment.

December 17, 2005, 9:38 am CST

excess inches from pregnancy...

Hello All, 

I have never been really into exercising until I had two kids that are 10 months apart.  I'm only 22 yrs old.  And the only exercise/work-out I've done before now was in High School.  I always ended up having some kind of PE.  I think it was a requirement.  Other than that nothing.  I do stay pretty busy w/ extracurricular, but none required any kind of work-out that results in staying in shape.  Anyways,  I was the kind of person that never had a weight problem nor had a six pack.  But I do like to look nice (i.e. no love handles or unwanted inches).   

See, I was born in the Philippines and lived there since 12 yrs old.  Although, rice is the main dish of every meals.  We stayed pretty skinny.  I could eat all I want and not gain an ounce.  It all has something to do w/ no Junk Food....But when I came to America right around the 4th year and started working at Burger all of it change.   I started to get a little chubby.  And that's all.  I fugured I just need to stay away from this fast foods.  I did, but I also need to stay away from TOO MUCH junk food, I mean all junk food.  You can have a little but not a lot.  So I was pretty satisfied w/ my weight.  I did lose the wobbly bits.  It's not hard to lose the weight if all the weight you gain came from what you put in your mouth.  And that's the whole truth.  

But pregnancy changed that.  It's not just the weight that makes me want to lose weight, but the inches of excess skin I have on the belly and every where else (along with the incredible stretch marks I have).  It's not all about the food going in anymore.   To face reality, I still have to keep on living healthy now more than ever.   I'm at the weight that is actually less than pre-pregnancy, but it is not okay anymore b/c of this excess skin.  I've seen what would happen if I don't do anything about it (base on candidates of extreme make-overs).  At least while fresh and young there's a chance that it will go away.   So I will keep on eating healthy (i.e. set a calorie-diet right for me) and excercise when I can which right now 1-2 a week.  I haven't lose an inch since then, but I know I will make a dent....The advice I can give to women in the same position, don't get discourage.  Keep on going.  Nothing is worse than falling off the coaster ride.  And relax.... 

Sincerly, 

Jona. 

December 19, 2005, 7:31 pm CST

End of week #6

Well, I wish I had some more weight loss to report, but I don't. However, I didn't gain any either, which I take as a victory since this is the week of the full moon and I attended another holiday dinner out. (I usually gain some water week during the full moon.) Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back to my regular exercise schedule and eating routine now that the out of town trips are done for awhile. My exercise has fallen off and I feel downright cranky and sluggish!
Just finished chapter 7 for anybody following along. It was very good. I'm going to implement some of the new habits for stretching out my meals to at least 30 minutes, as I'm a fast eater. I also wrote out some activities to do when the "impulse moments" hit.  My impulsive eating times are between the hours of 3:00 PM and dinner, so I'm arming myself with things to do that are incompatible with eating.

December 19, 2005, 11:49 pm CST

Hello I'm new

Hi I'm new.  I have been doing well and lost a lot of weight so far.  But since October I seem to have lost all motivation!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is the week before Christmas and I'm good all day and then eat all night.  Its like a pringle... once I pop I dont stop.  If I dont have a taste of sometihing then I'm fine...once I eat one thing I'm not supposed to its all over for the day.  what has got into me? 

December 20, 2005, 6:03 am CST

Change some things- fast!

Quote From: wheelie

Hi I'm new.  I have been doing well and lost a lot of weight so far.  But since October I seem to have lost all motivation!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is the week before Christmas and I'm good all day and then eat all night.  Its like a pringle... once I pop I dont stop.  If I dont have a taste of sometihing then I'm fine...once I eat one thing I'm not supposed to its all over for the day.  what has got into me? 
 1)Is your diet too restrictive? Are you getting enough foods to be healthy?
2)Are there tempting foods laying around that are hard to resist? If there are, put them up, throw them out, or ask others to keep them in a cabinet where you don't have to see them.
3)What do you do at night that invites this behavior? Does watching TV trigger it? If so, write out a list of activities beforehand that you can substitute for the behavior that you are falling in to. Like take a shower, give yourself a manicure, work on a hobby, anything that is incompatible with eating.
4)These are called "impulse moments," and can come on with seemingly no warning. But usually they are triggered by seeing food, or thinking about food because a commercial comes on the TV, or somebody else is eating, etc. Take yourself away from the trigger and do something else, once your mind is occupied with something else, the craving will go away.
Think about what I've said before: if you backed your car into a post, you wouldn't keep backing into that post, bashing it again and again, because your car is now ruined, would you? Don't do that to your diet, it's not ruined, you've just made a temperary mistake. If nothing else is working, aim for weight level maintenance during the holidays, not weight loss. Weight maintenance is just as valuable a skill as learning how to lose it. Once you have lost down to your weight goal, you will need this skill, so anytime you practice it is valuable.

January 2, 2006, 11:58 am CST

i don't know what to do...please help me

hi i'm sam. i have been losing weight for about three months however in the in december alone i have gained about 4kgs and i don't like it, i don't drink coke and i barely have any sweets but i'm still gaining. however i'm not in an extremely healthy diet, i just eat like i normally do, two meals and maybe a snack in between. PLEASE HELP ME, i went from 71kg's to 62kg's and now i'm back to 65. do you know what i can do. 

January 2, 2006, 2:22 pm CST

Exercise?

Quote From: salmaabter

hi i'm sam. i have been losing weight for about three months however in the in december alone i have gained about 4kgs and i don't like it, i don't drink coke and i barely have any sweets but i'm still gaining. however i'm not in an extremely healthy diet, i just eat like i normally do, two meals and maybe a snack in between. PLEASE HELP ME, i went from 71kg's to 62kg's and now i'm back to 65. do you know what i can do. 

Not sure where you are, but if it's wintertime where you are, maybe your exercise level has fallen off. We also tend to crave high carb foods in the winter, the body's response to colder weather. You can try cutting down on refined foods like breads and pasta's.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last