Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2006, 7:49 pm CST

Do you exersice?

Quote From: salmaabter

hi i'm sam. i have been losing weight for about three months however in the in december alone i have gained about 4kgs and i don't like it, i don't drink coke and i barely have any sweets but i'm still gaining. however i'm not in an extremely healthy diet, i just eat like i normally do, two meals and maybe a snack in between. PLEASE HELP ME, i went from 71kg's to 62kg's and now i'm back to 65. do you know what i can do. 

Hello Sam, 

Your talking in kilo's what a surprise. Where are you from? Do you exercise? you said your not drinking coke, but are you drinking other soft drinks they are full of sugar, you need to drink water. what were you doing to lose the weight before you started to gain again? Diets do not work you have to make it a lifestyle.What is your goal weight? 

January 4, 2006, 3:44 pm CST

Wasn't the show GREAT!!!

I've been feeling really down ... and here comes Dr. Phil's show and I'm just beaming!!!  I've been feeling down and blue for awhile now ...  I've been working hard with Chapter 2, Key 1, Key 2 and Key 4.  I started my 3rd year doing the program (11/18/03) and because I've finally mastered Chapter 2, I was able to master all sorts of new behaviors and habits - it's amazing!!!  Sometimes, I just feel like I've been doing this forever and I just want it over and done with!!  It brings on this high right now. 

AND I JUST RECEIVED AN AHA because I'm finally opening myself to it!!!  I'm going thru menapause and I just wonder if the reason I get so blue is because it's my PMS leaving and my energy is returning.   I'm going to track it ... I stopped thinking about it a long time ago, I just assumed that it would go away ....   I'm going to track it ...  i'll write it on my calendar and see what happens ...   at the end of this month.   Wouldn't it be grand if the I'M HERE AGAIN is just a monthly thing I go thru -- boy will that be easy to address ...   

I really received so many answers today ... All 3 gave me so much support and understanding ... I can treat myself so much better now! 

January 5, 2006, 9:09 am CST

I need a buddie system!!!!!!LOL

I am new to this support group. I am just getting familar with Dr. Phils book. I have just turned forty years old and I am discouraged with myself totally. I have been over weight since about twelve years old. My weight was never a issue until I got out of a abusive relationship and a marriage that lasted for ten years. My eating habits and my life style have to change. I recently lost forty pounds before the holidays and I need to get back on tract. I need to loose close to two hundred pounds. I know that seems like alot and beleive me it is. It's alot to be carrying around. I am not happy with myself at all. And I want to get my life on track. Is there anyone out there that would like to be positive support for eachother. I am 5'7 and 325lbs. I am so disguisted with myself and have let myself go way too far too long. I will be your best supporter if we can become friends and you help me. We can help eachother.After watching the Doctor Phil show yesterday I feel that 2006 has got to be the year for me. Or should I say all of us. Thanks for your support. I am looking forward to being on this board. Thanks for listening! 

January 5, 2006, 9:41 am CST

dear way2big4me - you CAN do it!

Quote From: way2big4me

I am new to this support group. I am just getting familar with Dr. Phils book. I have just turned forty years old and I am discouraged with myself totally. I have been over weight since about twelve years old. My weight was never a issue until I got out of a abusive relationship and a marriage that lasted for ten years. My eating habits and my life style have to change. I recently lost forty pounds before the holidays and I need to get back on tract. I need to loose close to two hundred pounds. I know that seems like alot and beleive me it is. It's alot to be carrying around. I am not happy with myself at all. And I want to get my life on track. Is there anyone out there that would like to be positive support for eachother. I am 5'7 and 325lbs. I am so disguisted with myself and have let myself go way too far too long. I will be your best supporter if we can become friends and you help me. We can help eachother.After watching the Doctor Phil show yesterday I feel that 2006 has got to be the year for me. Or should I say all of us. Thanks for your support. I am looking forward to being on this board. Thanks for listening! 

Dear one,   

I want you to know that you can do it!  I would love to partner with you on your journey.  NO, I don't need to lose that much, but I can sure be here for you , to help keep you going and together this year will be our turnaround.  email me @ jsdickey_83@msn.com if you are interested. love Jewels 

January 6, 2006, 1:43 am CST

Staying Motivated

welcome to the boards, 40's are the new 30's, they say. Not sure who "they" are? lol. 

You are on your way to a healthy you. That's great. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on these boards I'm sure you are going to do well. 

have a nice day. 

January 6, 2006, 10:23 am CST

Welcome ....

I've been using Dr. Phil's website to help me to report out my weekly accomplishments and for acknowledging things I need to change in my life.  I regularly post on the Self Matters site; however, this year I'm focusing on exercising and then weight loss.  I have to do things slowly, otherwise I get overwhelmed and that leads to getting derailing.  Then I have to stop the abusive self-dialogue that runs thru my head that I'm a failure (cause it's NOT TRUE) -- and once I challenge the negative crap, I pick myself right up and move forward again. 

I read in an article a while ago that most people can only diet for ~45 days and then stop.  When I read it, I realized that if I lasted 2-3 weeks or even 4 weeks on a reduced food plan that I was doing great.  I also looked at my target goal and asked myself:  what will my life be like when I get there.   

So when I'm not on a reduced food plan - I work on what my life style when it's all over.  And knowing that it's normal for some people to only focus for a couple of months - well that's fine with me.  I can focus on working on why I got derail and making a plan .... 

That's where I am right now...  I've made plans and now I'm implementing them.  I just realized this week that this week starts my 3rd year of going to the gym 2 days a week.  Isn't that great!!  I never thought I would be a person going to the gym - however, look at me -- starting on my 3rd year.  My goal now is to focus on doing a minimum of 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week.  I really thought it was an impossibility for me -- until I realized that going to the gym 2x a week is my normal --  it took me quite a bit picking myself up and starting again.  But it worked...   

You can do this for yourself.  Remember that in Chapter 2, Dr. Phil says it's about learning to be kind to yourself and accepting that you are human.  It took me a while to understand that -- now when I get derailed, I don't berate myself which causes me to overeat and not exercise.  That took me 2 years to figure out.   

Hey, I'm really slow when it comes to making life style changes in my life - I've been doing WLS going on 3 years now.   Like he says in Self Matters -- I can either be right here again in a year's time either with my life deteriorating or living a healthier life style.  The way I figure it, my life is so much healthier than it's ever been so I'm finally moving forward ever so slowly and not rotting on the couch anymore. 

January 7, 2006, 12:01 pm CST

I'm still here.

It would appear that I've lost my motivation because I haven't posted for awhile, but I'm still fighting. I ended up just barely maintaining through, and after the holidays. We had many lunches and dinners with friends that were also off work and that we don't get to see very often. The workouts slacked off to almost nothing and eating wasn't too bad, but at my age, every calorie counts.
But I never gave up, and I never stopped reading Dr Phil's book.
I just finished chapter 9, Key 6: Intentional Exercise. I've now made my computer time contingent upon getting my workout in. If I don't do some exercise, I don't get on the computer.  So, as you can see, I've done my 2 miles and stretches today. Somedays I may not have time to get on the computer at all, but at least I get the work out done. It gets me where I want to be, whereas sitting on my backside does not.
I have to say, I'm feeling better and more motivated once again.

January 8, 2006, 9:55 pm CST

Hey just introducin' myself...

Hi everyone my name is Christi and I am 17 years old. I'm probably the youngest person on this sight, but I tried it before and it helped me out to talk about some of my problems with complete strangers. I am 300 lbs. and I am 5'8''. I am very unhealthy and I feel like my weight problem is holding me back from being the person I want to be, and from doing the things I want to do. I know that is very cliche, but it's very true, also. I have spoken with my parents and they are going to take me to a doctor about an hour from where I live and I am going to be put on a diet. I am going to start working out at a gym near my work tomorrow after school and my biggest goal is to be where my ideal weight is in 6 months because when I take my senior pictures, I want to be proud to show them off and I want to be able to get a date for prom and I wantto enjoy my senior year and my last summer at home before I leave for college. I was wondering if Y'all would support me? I am here for y'all no matter what, but I really need some extra help with this, especially from individuals who know what I am goin' thru. thanks guys!!

January 10, 2006, 6:32 pm CST

plateau

I have been following the Ultimate Weight Loss Challenge book.   I guess my question is that I have hit a fork in the road.  I have lost 140 lbs, and have about another 80 lbs for my goal.  My problem is this, I have been teetering between five lbs back and forth for sometime now.  Every time I think I am starting to lose again, I go up several pounds.  I have decreased calories, and have increased my exercise, but it hasn't made a difference.  Is this nornal?  Is there a time line of how long this can go on before I pass it?  I would really like to know.  I am determined to continue, and haven't given up, but I am so afraid of staying where I am at that I am stressing big time   Please, please, please explain what and why this is happening, and if I will get pass this stand still.  Has anyone else experienced this, and how long of a plateau have you experienced? 

January 11, 2006, 9:56 am CST

Staying Motivated

Quote From: christia07

Hi everyone my name is Christi and I am 17 years old. I'm probably the youngest person on this sight, but I tried it before and it helped me out to talk about some of my problems with complete strangers. I am 300 lbs. and I am 5'8''. I am very unhealthy and I feel like my weight problem is holding me back from being the person I want to be, and from doing the things I want to do. I know that is very cliche, but it's very true, also. I have spoken with my parents and they are going to take me to a doctor about an hour from where I live and I am going to be put on a diet. I am going to start working out at a gym near my work tomorrow after school and my biggest goal is to be where my ideal weight is in 6 months because when I take my senior pictures, I want to be proud to show them off and I want to be able to get a date for prom and I wantto enjoy my senior year and my last summer at home before I leave for college. I was wondering if Y'all would support me? I am here for y'all no matter what, but I really need some extra help with this, especially from individuals who know what I am goin' thru. thanks guys!!
Hi Christi, my name is LaLanya. I am a 31 year old mom of 2. First off I want to say good for you to work on getting healthy, and I'm glad that your parents are behind you. Losing weight is a hard battle, but one well worth the time. (I also have to remind myself of this from time to time.) What is your goal weight? I am just worried that you might be putting too much pressure on yourself to lose a lot in such a short amount of time. I have this problem. If I don't lose x amount by such a time I get really down on myself and tend to give up. Try not to focus on the weight, but on getting healthy and feeling better about yourself. What happens in 6 months if you haven't lost the amount you wanted? Are you going to beat yourself up for what you haven't lost, or be very proud of yourself for what you have? I know as long as you believe in yourself you will get to the weight that you want, just don't set yourself up for failure. I'm not saying in anyway that you can not do it, just be careful. I am working on losing 50 pounds, I have been on yo-yo diets since my son was born 8 years ago. I am finally coming to terms with what my biggest problem is, I look for the quick fixes, you know the ones that promise you skinny when you wake up the next day. I have to make my goals small, I am no longer working on the 50, right now I am setting my goal for 10 pounds. After I lose the 10 I will then set my goal for the next 10, so on and so on. That way I will reach my goals quicker, and it seems a lot more doable. No matter how much you lose when you get your pictures taken, you should be proud, because you are taking it into your own hands to have a healthy happy life. Never give up on yourself, you are worth the time that it takes to get there. If you need anything, I will be happy to help how ever I can.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last