Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 19, 2005, 6:45 pm CDT

what would you like to do?

Quote From: rubygirl

October 23, 2005, 2:46 pm CDT

Been their going backwards HELP

Hi All i need help over the last two years i have lost 95lbs and in the last six months or so put back on 30 or more . i know what i'm doing wrong i just don't know why. right now i hate myself so.their are no words to say how dissapointed i am in my self.where do i turn to, to turn this around????

October 24, 2005, 9:39 am CDT

Get back in the saddle...

Quote From: buffyre

Hi All i need help over the last two years i have lost 95lbs and in the last six months or so put back on 30 or more . i know what i'm doing wrong i just don't know why. right now i hate myself so.their are no words to say how dissapointed i am in my self.where do i turn to, to turn this around????
 Go back to your weight loss routine, immediately! You have reverted to old ways, it happens to the best of us, forgive yourself.
Stop beating yourself up. You're still not back at the place you were when you started your weight loss journey, so you don't have to lose as much this time. As you get back in the swing of things again, figure out what caused this to happen. Did you meet up with a life crisis, or other stress that triggered old habits to resurface? YOU MUST find out what happened, so that you can learn to guard against it in the future. If it's simply that after you lost everything you wanted, you relaxed your vigil, then that is your lesson. Slim people may seem to eat whatever they want, but not really. If you were to follow them around for a month, you would know that they monitor their weight regularly. If it gets above 2-3 lbs over where they want, they take steps immediately, as they know it's easier to deal with 2-3 lbs than it is to deal with 20-30 lbs.

Take heart, your in lots of company.

October 24, 2005, 3:40 pm CDT

Staying Motivated

Quote From: ritehere

Go back to your weight loss routine, immediately! You have reverted to old ways, it happens to the best of us, forgive yourself.
Stop beating yourself up. You're still not back at the place you were when you started your weight loss journey, so you don't have to lose as much this time. As you get back in the swing of things again, figure out what caused this to happen. Did you meet up with a life crisis, or other stress that triggered old habits to resurface? YOU MUST find out what happened, so that you can learn to guard against it in the future. If it's simply that after you lost everything you wanted, you relaxed your vigil, then that is your lesson. Slim people may seem to eat whatever they want, but not really. If you were to follow them around for a month, you would know that they monitor their weight regularly. If it gets above 2-3 lbs over where they want, they take steps immediately, as they know it's easier to deal with 2-3 lbs than it is to deal with 20-30 lbs.

Take heart, your in lots of company.
I need to hear from others in the same boat, maybe we can help each other get turned around..please write and share your thoughts..

October 25, 2005, 10:20 am CDT

Time to get rid of that baby fat!

I just had a baby boy 2 months ago, I gained almost 50 pounds!!! 

Now I want to get rid of it, I feel in the free time I do have I'm tired I also have a 3 year old that still needs attention, any sugestions??  Tips??  Advise?? 

October 28, 2005, 12:45 pm CDT

overwhelmed

Hello, I am a 39 year old mother of 3 who has been trying to lose weight for at least 3 years.  I thought my wieight may have been due to thyroid, and now found out it is not.  I have bursytis in both knees and it is now important I lose weight according to the doctor.  I have tried most everything including the 7 keys and I cannot seem to break the habits I am in.  I also have low energy lately probably due to stress.  The 7 keys is good, but my problem seems to be that I get so focused on weight loss, I burn myself out on it and resort to past behaviors.  I am having a hard time finding the balance.  I am going to try the 7 keys again. 

October 30, 2005, 8:35 am CST

You CAN do it!!!!

hi, everyone, in 1998, i was at my top weight 323 pounds. Today I weigh a healthy 116. I have kept the 200+ pounds off since November of 2000. I look at my name SHEila, I take the 1st 3 leters, for she, then my last name is CANtrell, I take the 1st 3 letters again, and I am SHECAN, I choose not to take on that 4th letter and become SHECAN'T. I lost the weight with no surgery no diet pills, no Jenny Craig, and Dr Phil I wish you had started your program BACK THEN..God was my diet buddy, I have type 2 diabetes, I used the exchange lists and devised a 1500 calorie eating plan and stuck too it, plain old good food, nothing fancy or expensive, and i started walking for exercise. I never felt hungry, my diabetes is well controlled now, no more shots or oral meds. My son Terry committed suicide 3 years ago September 28 2002, it was so devastating, I am a recovering Alcoholic 5 years sober, i am so grateful that I did not turn to food or alcohol to get through the grief process. I figured it out, you don't get fat from breathing air, you have to physically put food or beverage into your body. So I quit stuffing my face for comfort. You are what you eat, stay on track, set small goals AND REMEMBER YOU CAN DO IT..IF SHECAN ANYONE CAN...i need help to quit smoking now, the one vice i have yet to surrender

October 30, 2005, 8:43 am CST

stay in the present

Quote From: candycvky

Hello, I am a 39 year old mother of 3 who has been trying to lose weight for at least 3 years.  I thought my wieight may have been due to thyroid, and now found out it is not.  I have bursytis in both knees and it is now important I lose weight according to the doctor.  I have tried most everything including the 7 keys and I cannot seem to break the habits I am in.  I also have low energy lately probably due to stress.  The 7 keys is good, but my problem seems to be that I get so focused on weight loss, I burn myself out on it and resort to past behaviors.  I am having a hard time finding the balance.  I am going to try the 7 keys again. 
You CAN do it! Just take 1 day at a time. I have lost 200+ pounds and kept it off for 5 years I have a yahoo group where the plan i used is posted http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AnyoneCanPlan/ please feel free to visit or join and Remember...IF SHECAN...Anyone can! I BELIEVE IN YOU...take 1 day at a time, and if you mess up, forgive yourself and get back on track, hugs are calorie free... (((HUGS))) from Sheila

October 30, 2005, 8:50 am CST

Wonderful Committment!

Quote From: marcia52

I've been at this place so many times - ready to begin to lose weight so I can finally live the healthy life style I've dreamt of for so long.   In fact, I'm wondering if it will work ... will I be able to make it this time without  getting derailed because a life event has happened.   

It's my 2nd year.  I'm not unhappy about being derailed so much as it' helped me to focus on my faulty thinking.  I have mastered Key 3 and 4 in it's entirely.  In fact, I'm close to bringing closure to Key 3, Step 5: Clean out my closets.   It's been hard for me because of the many different issues I have had to embrace so that I could heal them.  For example, my clothes represent deprivation issues from my childhood and then became painful memories of my old workplace.  All of which I have had to deal with. 

Now, I've written up my food journal/log and I'm implementing 1 more level of exercise into my life right now.  So far, I have 3 different types of exercise and all of them are really okay with me. 

I have a support group that will help me to focus and maintain my commitment to a healthy life style.  I have researched and experimented along the way to HERE and I feel really comfortable about finally letting go of my fears.  I have even spent the last few months learning about FEAR and learning to take the tiny little wee small steps needed to move closer and close to my goal. 

I, MARCIA YVONNE, HEREBY COMMIT TO DOING ALL THAT IT TAKES TO LIVE THE HEALTHY LIFE STYLE THAT I CAN SEE CLEARLY IN MY MIND'S EYES.   

MARCIA YVONNE, You CAN do it! Hugs are calorie free (((hugs from Texas))), SHEila CANtrell, I have lost 200+ pounds and kept it off 5 years now, remember if SHECAN ANYONE CAN....

October 30, 2005, 8:57 am CST

AnyoneCANplan

Quote From: ritehere

1. Go buy the book.
 2. Read the chapter on what foods to eat first, and immediately clean out your kitchen. Get rid of anything that's not on the list. Don't get bogged down in thoughts of waste or what the junk cost you, just get rid of it.
 3.Go back to the beginning and read the rest of the book and start applying the lessons.

I've found that starting the eating program by cleaning out the junk and replacing it with the foods listed, then reading the rest of the book works well. It works because the first week is all will power whether we admit it or not. So if you just plunge right in there and get started, reading the rest of the book will keep you on track and motivated as the will power fades. The lessons you learn about programing and environment control come in at the right time. Plus, if you jump right in, there's no reading, and then saying to yourself, "I can see how this will work, but I won't start till next week."

Good luck.
I have lost 200+ pounds and kept it off since November 2000, the plan I created and used is posted at: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AnyoneCanPlan/ feel free to stop by and join if you wish, the food list and lots of tips and recipes , hugs are calorie free, (((hugs from Texas))) Remember If She Can Anyone Can...SHEila CANtrell

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last