Message Boards

Topic : Staying Motivated

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your tips and strategies to stay motivated and on the path. You can do this!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 31, 2005, 11:46 am CST

My personal update

Quote From: tissymorri

Hi All!! I live in Calgary AB Canada, I've taken steps to lose weight, by walking 2.5 miles a day either to work or home from work. With Winter coming and believe me it gets REALLY COLD HERE!! With wind chill can be up to -50 (brrrrrrr!!!). I'm petrified that I'll start putting back on weight that I've lost. I have lost about 20 pounds, but still have another 100 (my personal goal) to go. So last night, I bought a Treadmill. I have agreed to go to my cousin's wedding in November 2006 in Mexico and my cousin and my sister are gorgeous. I dont' want to be the only "Fat one!!" so, my motivation is: A BIKINI!!! Well, at least a Tankini. I'm determined. And with the treadmill and that motivation. I'm determined to lose that weight!!!! Here's to getting in Shape!!!!!
Since I bought the treadmill, I've been on it everyday. Excluding the week I was sick. I force myself to get on it, even if I'm tired and don't feel like it, I've started to lose the weight. Slowly....It's hard when you want immediate results. I'll keep working at it until I get the result I want.

November 1, 2005, 9:24 pm CST

Please someone help me!!!

First off i would like to say to everyone who is reading this that just being over weight is not the end of the world.  It took me a while to realize that.   

I am 16 years old and have been over weight since i started my period.  I have been on sevral diets including weight watchers. Yes,I lost weight, then it got hard and I would give up. I have been on many medications and have went to several doctors.  I also went through a depression stage, but unlike some people i do not eat for comfort i eat out of boredom and for taste. Since i am a teenagaeger its even harder. I want to wear cute clothes like my friends and eat all the time but i cant i know that. I just want to be normal!   

I am excercising now but i need more. If anyone has any suggestions what so ever please help me!  I am not asking for smpathy i am asking for help. I am 215 lbs and I want to weigh around 140.     Please, anyone have and suggestions? 

*Elizabeth* 

November 2, 2005, 3:46 pm CST

Healthier snacks...

Quote From: ebeth703

First off i would like to say to everyone who is reading this that just being over weight is not the end of the world.  It took me a while to realize that.   

I am 16 years old and have been over weight since i started my period.  I have been on sevral diets including weight watchers. Yes,I lost weight, then it got hard and I would give up. I have been on many medications and have went to several doctors.  I also went through a depression stage, but unlike some people i do not eat for comfort i eat out of boredom and for taste. Since i am a teenagaeger its even harder. I want to wear cute clothes like my friends and eat all the time but i cant i know that. I just want to be normal!   

I am excercising now but i need more. If anyone has any suggestions what so ever please help me!  I am not asking for smpathy i am asking for help. I am 215 lbs and I want to weigh around 140.     Please, anyone have and suggestions? 

*Elizabeth* 

It's debatable whether it's easier to avoid fattening foods as an adult, but I won't argue with the fact that it's hard to lose weight no matter how old you are.

It's possible that you need to change the way you think about your weight loss. For instance, instead of thinking about how much you want to lose, in your case 75 lbs, break it down into smaller goals. Like maybe your first goal would 10% of your current weight, or 21 to 22 lbs. If you focus on the weight at 10% intervals, it should make it easier. As you get closer to your ultimate goal, the small goal gets smaller. For instance, when you reach a weight around 155 to 158,  your last goal of 15 or 16 lbs will put you right around your goal weight.

Also, if you get discouraged, or "fall off the wagon" or anything else, DON"T QUIT! Just get right back to it the next day. It happens to everybody, even the ones who lose all the way down to their goal weight. If they can do it, so can you.

Have you tried the new soft drink products? If I mention certain brands, I risk getting my message deleted, so I'll just say that there is a NEW sweetener out there. My 17 year old son likes it and drinks it because he knows it's better for him even though he is skinny as a rail. As a teenager who likes to drink pop, it's a good alternative to the full load of sugar in the regular pop.

November 2, 2005, 3:55 pm CST

Good for you!

Quote From: tissymorri

Since I bought the treadmill, I've been on it everyday. Excluding the week I was sick. I force myself to get on it, even if I'm tired and don't feel like it, I've started to lose the weight. Slowly....It's hard when you want immediate results. I'll keep working at it until I get the result I want.
 Just guard against the urge to eat more since you are expending more energy. I've fallen for that one before myself! Experimenting with length and intensity of workouts, along with amounts and which foods can give you a good idea of your body's needs,  everybody is a little different. And as you lose, the amount values will change, so if you hit a plateau, you may need to re-evaluate your levels of workout and food.

November 5, 2005, 3:28 am CST

staying motivated

Quote From: ebeth703

*Elizabeth* 

Have you realized that many girls your age don't even want to struggle but will go gay because they are looking for acceptance from someone or go into the "fat and happy" club.  I am impressed that you care.  I am impressed that you are seeking help and want to loose weight.   I am also impressed that you know you eat from boredom and taste.  As a 16 year old with all your bills being payed for (except maybe a few if you have a job),you could find many things to do related to school.  Get busy looking for something to fill up your time - any after school activity, etc.  Make yourself busy with all that is available and I bet you won't have time to be bored.  Have you tried any clubs, etc at school, or jobs after school???  What have you tried other than diets?

November 5, 2005, 3:47 am CST

open to all

I am a new user of this message board and very excited about talking to people about a subject I know a lot about, just like most of you.  It is amazing the amount of work it takes to loose one pound and yet how easy it is to gain one pound.  People who don't even have to worry about what they eat or how much they eat can never understand the amount of time, effort and work it takes to keep food from being in control of our lives.  I wish to use this board when I am bored or desire to eat for no reason at all. It might give me a proper perspective.  I find that sneaking food is an exhilarating feeling - like I am getting away with something.  And then the next morning I feel awful - I didn't get away with it.  It seems to be a game.  I don't want to play that game anymore and I am hoping that you all will keep me in reality when I think I am hiding.  Even though I am 50 years old I am a little kid about this weight problem.  I might have had a lot of experience with diets, loosing, gaining, etc but in my mind I still feel like a little kid when it comes to my weight and how I look.  So I am looking forward to entering this world of  messages to overcome some of my hidden personality traits that keep me heavy.  I just lost 30 pounds but then gained 18 back and know I am headed upward again.  Like a game!!!!  Like a silly game I play with myself.  Anyone understand?Thanks for being there. 

November 9, 2005, 9:03 am CST

problem is not staying; is is getting motivated

I am a 42 year olds stay at home mom and I have struggled with weight all of my lfie. I am now at my all-time highest weight ever. It is probably pushing 300lbs. (I haven't gotten weighed lately). I am just unable to get started trying to lose weight. I have done Weight Watchers in the past and been successful but I don't want to be limited to a certain points target. I want to just eat healthy and develop healthy habits. I know what they are, I just don't use them. My problem is that I am an emotional eater and since I am home all the tim, I have easy access to food. I also love McDonalds. Unfortunately so does my 4 year old son and now he is starting to look a bit chunky. It seems nothing motivates me to get going. I think I am so overwhelmed by what I have to lose and just the fact that I have to lose weight AGAINthat I am "paralyzed" with anxiety. Thinking about my health and even the health of my children does not seem to be enough to break the hold that food has over me. I would love to hear from anyone who can relate to this and can give me some ideas on how to get motivated and/or give me some support.

November 9, 2005, 10:33 am CST

This is the week!

I'm on a mission to lose all the way down to my goal this time. 1 1/2 years ago I lost 50 lbs, within 10lbs of my goal, since then I've gained back 25 of it. I did not use Dr Phil's book last time, so I'm going to give the good Dr a run for his money. I've used SELF MATTERS  in the past and it was a true life saver. He is a great guide and mentor, so I'm going to do this his way this time. I'm on chapter 2 and holding there the rest of the week while I write out my goals. I'd love some company if anybody wants to read along with me and discuss it.  Even though I'm not yet on the chapters on eating and excercising, I have started these things. Most of us know plenty about those parts so I see no reason not to start. I'll be going through the keys spending a week on each. The book should help with motivation, and whatever we can do for ourselves on these boards to keep us going.

I've started cutting out foods that I shouldn't eat, and I've started light exercises everyday. I guard against people and situations that I know trigger eating that will lead to guilt, but I've made a commitment to be kind to myself. I slipped up a little bit yesterday, but forgave myself and journalled about it. Journalling helps me get a handle on what's going on inside and what I'm telling myself. It can be a great tool.

The first few days can be the hardest for me, so I deliberately picked this week as there was not much going on and I could spend as much time as I needed reading, making lists, and cleaning out the kitchen, and writing things down. Taking charge can give you the motivation to get started. When you beging feeling better, slimmer, more in control, that can keep me going.

My goal is somewhere around 140lbs. I'm not going to fixate on a number because I'm going for a healthier shape. When I lost down to 150, my doctor felt that was good, but I still had the "apple" shaped waist to hip ratio. So I'm thinking somewhere in the 140's will be just right. If some of you younger people are thinking 140 is huge, I'm 48 years old. At 21 and 5' 6 1/2", I weighed 125 with more muscle than most girls. But I'm not 21 anymore and have no wish to be. 140 is perfectly OK with me. In fact, 150 is not so bad either, but I'd still like to know where that elusive ratio will be met for me.

November 11, 2005, 4:40 pm CST

Where do I start

I have been unhappy with my body for a long time. I am 22 and really want to start feeling good about me and the way I look. I get short breathed easily and it drives me insane....the problem.....
I don't know where to start and I have no motivation.
I have been over weight for a long time. I lost about 30lbs in high school using slim fast and now have gained a lot back. I will be the first one to say that I am lazy, and I get more and more lazy everyday.
So if anyone knows where to start please help.

November 11, 2005, 5:51 pm CST

helping you stay motivated!

Dear EVERYBODY, 

My name is Erica I am a wife & mother of three Boys. I am writing to you to tell you that my son is a 9 yr old  with chirohosis of the liver, he needs a transplant...it turns out I am a perfect match...the only thing is I am overweight, so they told me I had to loose 80 lbs so that my son could survive the surgery. I struggled with the weight loss for a couple years till I found Dr. Phil. Now I have lost 45 pounds and I feel GREAT! I would do anything for my family and this was hard but I am doing it! I have 35 more to go but I know that with Dr. Phil on my side and the fact that my son needs it badly I will have it licked by Valentines Day of 06! 

So EVERYBODY LISTEN....You can do it .....loose the weight. Listen to Dr. Phil, read his books and think about this....what if your child or loved one came up sick like mine and you were overweight and a perfect match? Start loosing the weight now! You know you can do it! I know you can do it! 

Be ready for anything not only for your loved one but for you! You wouldn't believe how GREAT you feel inside & out, and how wonderful you will look !!!!!! 

with love & hope! 

Erica 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last