Message Boards

Topic : What's Your Payoff for Being Overweight?

Number of Replies: 448
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:55 pm
Author : dataimport
It's time to reflect on what makes us stay at an unhealthy weight. Share your story and get support from others who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 9, 2007, 4:03 am CST

Thanks!!

Quote From: terriwins

If we focus on what we can't do, we have a hard time seeing what we can do.  It sounds like you want to be physical.  Well, go swimming.  I know a bathing suite may not be the choice piece of clothing right now, but remember it is about you not the idiots that might think or even say something to their idiot friend who is willing to listen.  Is there any other reason that could keep you from the pool?  Many people lose weight without exercising [not that I recommend it.  I guess the thing to that is realizing that our body doesn't need much if we are just sitting around all morning, evening and night.  There is a lady that lives my me that is overweight and has a pin in her knee and other stuff [plus she smokes and she gets around in a skooter.  I see her walking outside once in a while, even though it hurts.  I am not telling you to suck it up and go for a walk.  I am saying each person knows [or should know their limit.  If you are within yours and know it [truthfully in your heart, then stop feeling guilty about your activity level.  Remember there are bed ridden people that lose weight.  Most are probably either too ill to eat, have their food controlled or in a coma.  The don't have a choice.  You have a choice as to what and when and how you eat.  You can do it.  Search deep within and find out what is going on there.  If you try to deal with this at the surface and success will only be temporary.  Enjoy Dr. Phils book.

Thank you, writing you encouraged me.  I hope I was of some help to you.

Regards, Terri

You are right, I know you are.  I do eat too much, for the amount of exercise that I do get, and it is usually junk as well.  I also have a lot of gingerale because my medications create extreme nausea.  I know what I have to do, I just don't know where to start or how.  I do hope I can get the encouragement, and maybe a little motivation too, from these boards.

Yes, you did help, and I am so pleased that you were encouraged in writing as well. 

Thanks again!

Tammy

January 13, 2007, 1:35 am CST

thanks for being honest, first with yourself...

Quote From: outofmymnd

You are right, I know you are.  I do eat too much, for the amount of exercise that I do get, and it is usually junk as well.  I also have a lot of gingerale because my medications create extreme nausea.  I know what I have to do, I just don't know where to start or how.  I do hope I can get the encouragement, and maybe a little motivation too, from these boards.

Yes, you did help, and I am so pleased that you were encouraged in writing as well. 

Thanks again!

Tammy

Hi Tammy

I am glad you had the chance to come to the board.  I check it ever so often.  I too like gingerale.  This evening when we were at the market I just about bought some more.  I am addicted to the carbination.  I decided that what I really wanted to do is drink water with my crushed ice [which I also am addicted to].  I felt good to make a decision that was really something for me, the me I want to live out.  It is these little steps I take that are going to change my lifestyle.  I am trying to take it easy and as opportunity presents itself I am going to make choices that the true me would make.  I have lived out of control for a long time.  The real me, the Terri that enjoys good foods, excersize, and yep lots of water, has taken the back burner to my addiction and addictive behaviors.  I am slowly going to reclaim the Terri with the behaviors that suite who I truly am.  This fat, out of control, out of shape Terri is not the real me.  I know that God created me to be so much more, and to be so much more.  I feel that way for everyone.  About your drinking gingerale for nausia.  Have you tried a few sips of warm water, or gravol?  I have meds that I take and very often I get an upset stomach.  The thing about drinking pop I have found is the carbon [which I craved] was not doing my stomach any favors in the long run.  I used to use the need for gingerale as an excuse to drink it without feeling condemnation, because I knew the truth was pop is not good for anyone, simply.  There are also aroma therapy oils that can help with nausia, and a great deal of other things.  I like to inhale them often, and I have different kinds.  Well, Tammy I know that if you continue to be truthful, and be lead by it you are going to find your way to freedom.  I will check to board soon hoping to hear from you again.

Caring, Terri

January 16, 2007, 12:50 pm CST

my payoff for being fat

my payoff - well i'm going to post this and see if it will help at all - i've never "put" it out there so a lot of people dont know how i'm feeling.......

my payoff is that if i'm fat i cant fall in love (this is the biggest hang up that i have), i cant travel, i basically cant do anything because of my weight.  i feel very embarassed about my weight and very self conscience.  i'm trying to lose it, but then when i hit a certain number on the scale, i sabotage myself. 

i got kind of lucky as my work is having a contest to lose weight and i joined in.  it's based on "the biggest loser" and we joined as a team - i have 7 team members - and they are doing better than i am and am feeling very very down right now.  i started Dr. Phil's diet last week and am hoping to "stick" to it despite of myself.  i honestly just keep telling myself that "it's working, it's working, it's working"  (kinda like the little engine that could). 

i've never been part of a message board before and am hoping to gain some support from it.

January 17, 2007, 9:42 am CST

Chin up

Quote From: rishalynn

my payoff - well i'm going to post this and see if it will help at all - i've never "put" it out there so a lot of people dont know how i'm feeling.......

my payoff is that if i'm fat i cant fall in love (this is the biggest hang up that i have), i cant travel, i basically cant do anything because of my weight.  i feel very embarassed about my weight and very self conscience.  i'm trying to lose it, but then when i hit a certain number on the scale, i sabotage myself. 

i got kind of lucky as my work is having a contest to lose weight and i joined in.  it's based on "the biggest loser" and we joined as a team - i have 7 team members - and they are doing better than i am and am feeling very very down right now.  i started Dr. Phil's diet last week and am hoping to "stick" to it despite of myself.  i honestly just keep telling myself that "it's working, it's working, it's working"  (kinda like the little engine that could). 

i've never been part of a message board before and am hoping to gain some support from it.

I know so well how you feel.  Even though I am married for 19 years, for the first part of my marriage I did not feel like I could be loved.  I kept my husband at arms length.  It made me feel safer.  Luckily I have an awesome man in my life who stuck it out with me. 

You deserve to be loved, and the first person who should do that is yourself.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how your feelings about life will change when you do love yourself.  You can do this, and you have the right attitude with "it's working, it's working, it's working". 

You are so lucky to have support at work with teammates.  Grab hold of that and hang on!! 

January 22, 2007, 7:36 am CST

Hi

Quote From: rishalynn

Hi!  Newbie here.  This is my first post.  Rishalynn, when I read your post I thought - "wow, that sounds just like me talking!"  You're not alone in your reasons for hanging on to your weight.  I've been overweight my entire life.  Four years ago, I joined a gym and fell in love with exercise and physical activity.  With no diet pills or cardiac stimulants, I lost 115 lbs over the course of 2 years.  Now, I've put that weight back on and am starting all over again.  How did it come back?  I simply got out of my healthy habits, and it came back.  When I did lose weight, it was unfamiliar territory for me.  All of a sudden, I had more options than I'd ever had.  I was still heavy - don't get me wrong.  I was a size 16 at my lowest weight.  Looking back, I wish I had sought some help from a psychologist or support group; something to help me "live" as a smaller person, and to embrace my new size.  "If I'm fat, I can't fall in love."  That sounds just like me.  I'm single and have never been married.  Love and marriage really, REALLY, scare me.  I'm just afraid of making a wrong decision.  And if I'm a size 24, I usually don't have to worry about even the prospect of a relationship.  I hear you, and you're not alone.  My resolution is to be healthy - emotionally, physically and spiritually.  As far as romantic relationships;  I'm strong now, I'm determined in my goals and I will let God handle that area of my life.  I'm ready to lose weight again.   Good luck, God Bless.  jf

January 22, 2007, 2:08 pm CST

what a weekend

i had a pretty bad weekend and ended up eating stuff that i shouldnt (and too much stuff) .... well today is a new day and this week is a new week.  that's what i'm sticking to .... i've done pretty good though ... and have been losing weight and my group at work has really helped .... well we'll see..

thnx to you guys for your support .... i'm hoping that everything will help:)

January 25, 2007, 1:34 am CST

Banish those bad weekend woes with creative juicy cocktails...

Hi Dr Phil Friends

My first time here. I have been living with debilitating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 27 years now. The challenges of this illness have given me a deep understanding of the importance of taking responsibility for one's own health, wellbeing and aspects such as weight maintenance. It also prompted me to do in depth research about the best tools available for ensuring balanced nutrition. In the process I discovered the joys of vegetable juicing and this has since become an integral part of my life and my writings at www.Best-Juicing.com. During my research I also became aware of the body benefits of juicing when incorporated into a healthy weight loss program.

Now, don't expect the colorful nutrient-rich potions spouting from a vegetable juicer to magically melt away the pounds on its own! You will unfortunately still have to get off that comfy couch and get your metabolism revved up with some form of fun activity...

Rather than focusing on juicing for weight loss, make juicing for health your aim if you want to see the benefits stacking up slowly but surely. Make a commitment to incorporate juicing into a family healthstyle change, while following Dr Phil's sensible nutrition program. This is something you can stick to for life. Throw in some new thinking patterns, and you will soon see a vibrant, svelte, confident and happy self in the mirror.

What is magical about juicing, is that the bio-availability of micro-nutrients are enhanced significantly during the juicing process. You will be downing highly concentrated health cocktails, brimming with all the enzymes, vitamins, and minerals necessary for vitality and a healthy immune system. This facilitates optimal functioning of all your body systems.

Research has shown that, when veggies are devoured by a  famished juice extractor during its daily feeding frenzy, it is transformed into pre-digested food, so to speak. The juicing process succeeds in releasing all those highly beneficial micro-nutrients from their concealed corners in the otherwise inaccessible fibrous cells of fresh produce. When downing a fresh glass of juice, your body assimilates all these life-giving nutrients virtually without effort.

Only a fraction of the vitamins in raw food can be accessed by the body during the normal digestive processes. With juicing, your body's uptake of nutrients can increase by an phenomenal 90%! These nutrients are added at minimal calorie cost, and with no dietary fat.

In addition, if you concentrate on veggies rather than fruit, it can help to stabilize blood sugar levels. The calorie count of these juices can be up to 50% less than that of fruit juice, yet it will succeed in satisfying that sweet tooth every time. Experiment with carrot or a combination of carrot and parsley juice when a craving hits you, and the juice jolt will give it a knock-out before you know it!

Consumers are very aware of the harmful side-effects of appetite suppressants, but often feel that they have no other option. Fresh vegetable juice can act as a healthy, natural, harmless appetite suppressant and craving curber, and is therefore without equal in a healthy lifestyle. Juice for weight loss by opting for a glass of fresh juice before your main meal, and experience rapidly diminishing hunger.

Juicing is also really helpful in combating water retention. Experiment by juicing a delicious combination of celery, cucumber, cranberry, and watermelon just before your period for relief from this uncomfortable problem. Add a touch of ginger for a drink with more bite.

Some juicers offer attachments that will expand your repertoire in the kitchen exponentially. You will be producing luscious delicacies such as frozen desserts. Your family won't even notice that your are on a blubber-busting crusade!

Keep in mind that, before you start a juicing for weight loss program, it is always safer to consult a health practitioner. This is especially important if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, nursing or have any illness.

Juicing for health and weight loss may very well become a wellbeing gift that will pay huge dividends over time. As I explain at www.Best-Juicing.com, good health is a precious gift. Cherish it, be grateful for it, make wellbeing your payoff, and do your bit to take care of yourself.

Happy juicing!

Rika Susan

January 25, 2007, 6:57 am CST

Lose the soda-pop and the nausea...

Quote From: terriwins

Hi Tammy

I am glad you had the chance to come to the board.  I check it ever so often.  I too like gingerale.  This evening when we were at the market I just about bought some more.  I am addicted to the carbination.  I decided that what I really wanted to do is drink water with my crushed ice [which I also am addicted to.  I felt good to make a decision that was really something for me, the me I want to live out.  It is these little steps I take that are going to change my lifestyle.  I am trying to take it easy and as opportunity presents itself I am going to make choices that the true me would make.  I have lived out of control for a long time.  The real me, the Terri that enjoys good foods, excersize, and yep lots of water, has taken the back burner to my addiction and addictive behaviors.  I am slowly going to reclaim the Terri with the behaviors that suite who I truly am.  This fat, out of control, out of shape Terri is not the real me.  I know that God created me to be so much more, and to be so much more.  I feel that way for everyone.  About your drinking gingerale for nausia.  Have you tried a few sips of warm water, or gravol?  I have meds that I take and very often I get an upset stomach.  The thing about drinking pop I have found is the carbon [which I craved was not doing my stomach any favors in the long run.  I used to use the need for gingerale as an excuse to drink it without feeling condemnation, because I knew the truth was pop is not good for anyone, simply.  There are also aroma therapy oils that can help with nausia, and a great deal of other things.  I like to inhale them often, and I have different kinds.  Well, Tammy I know that if you continue to be truthful, and be lead by it you are going to find your way to freedom.  I will check to board soon hoping to hear from you again.

Caring, Terri

FWIW, "addiction" to,or strong craving for  crushed ice/ice chewing is a signal of anemia in many women.   It's almost a dead giveaway of anemia.  Get your hematocrit checked if you have this craving.

For anyone who really likes soda and is having a hard time giving it up,  try zipfizz packets.
Zipfizz is (one brand of) little packets that flavor and add very mild bubbly effect to water.  They are sweetened with xylitol, which is good for the teeth, and contain vitamins that might be in lower supply in a weight-loss diet.   There may be other brands that do the same thing,  and there are lots of vitamin laced flavored waters out there that can be a first step to getting rid of soda.

January 29, 2007, 8:44 am CST

strange payoff

Now here is a strange one.  I'll try to keep this short.  (not a chance)  Being overweight when younger and missing out on all the fun my friends were having (the dating kind of fun) I lost a great deal of weight by the time I was 21.  From about age 21 to 30 I kept off a 65 lb loss.  I had all the attention and more from men that I wanted.  I traveled, I went out, I had attention in the grocery store, at work...you name it.   In any circle of my friends where I was always the sweet fat one...  I was now the center of attention.  I was still the sweet one, I never changed my personality, I never overtly flirted with the men, didn't have to.  I just looked different.  My friends were fine at first until their men (or husbands) started commenting.  Then it was over.  I felt my girlfriends didn't want me around, they didn't treat me well. 

For some reason during that period of my life when I finally had the chance to have a relationship or even husband, I didn't want one.  Maybe a little resentment that they didn't like me before, who knows.  Maybe the few I did go on a date with became far too obsessed and calling me all the time and I hated feeling smothered.

It really became a bother, I started to feel stressed about going to the store because I just wanted to be "anonymous".  I didn't really like the attention anymore.  I have always found it difficult to say "no".  I hate hurting someone or breaking their heart and the worst thing was going out with someone and they'd be so excited about going out again and again and I didn't want to and didn't know what to do!  I'd start getting sick over it.  Literally sick.  So I stopped dating anyone at all. 

Then it happened.  I started to gain a small amount of weight and realized that if I don't do my hair all pretty, and no makeup and start to lose that pretty body...the men had no interest.  (I went from a size 5 to a 10-12) I could go out, be anonymous, nobody noticed me.  Then I gained and gained up to over a size 18.  (i'm petit so thats a big size)

Now I really was not given attention when I went out, I mean, they didn't see me, didn't wait on me, I was practically knocked over as everyone seemed to go about their business.  I was totally invisible. 

And voila, I had my girlfriends back!   They all love me now.   Well it's been too many years as the sweet fat one again, and now I am sick of it.  I want to feel good again, I want attention, I just think I'll be able to handle things better now that I am older.   I hate being invisible.  I HATE IT.

So I have lost 26 lbs I eat healthy, exercise a lot during the day and I feel so much better.  And lo and behold, even at this weight which is NOT good for me at all (and barely back to a size 16)  I do my hair and make up everyday for the first time in 10 years and I am not invisible.  I even get some nice attention from men.  Granted, none of them are falling over themselves to ask me out (which I am not in the mood for right now)  But they smile, and in stores, they ask me if I need help.  Wow, this is a nice change from trying to find help at a store.

Since i'm not thin yet, it must be how I am carrying myself, I don't have any other explanation.  I must feel better and it could be that It shows.  That's very interesting.  It's true, I feel great. Have a long way to go but I will get there.  The weight is coming off and the stress is going away.

So thats the boring tale!

February 11, 2007, 10:47 am CST

There is hope..

Hi ladies (and certainly any men who are brave enough to wade through the Dr. Phil message boards!)!

I check out these boards from time to time to remind myself of the importance of the ultimate goal , which, for me is that this lifestyle thing is forever. It’s not until I’ve maintained for a certain number of months/years/whatever. As much as I would like to take a break from my routine, at least ONCE in awhile (say, from Thanksgiving to New Years would be great!), I know what the result of that is. I’ve done proven that one more than once. I feel like I was truly blessed with finally “getting it” and above all else, I am surprised on a daily basis at how simple it all is. Not necessarily easy, but definitely simple. I want to give hope to those of you still suffering this wretched battle. If I,  someone who doesn’t want to make any money off any of you, can inspire just one person, then I’ll be happy.

I am 32 and the mother of two. I got married at 18 and got pregnant right away. I went into that pregnancy 40 lbs overweight and came out well over 200lbs. I am 5’3. I had another baby within a year and got even heavier. I was miserable. I felt like such a worthless loser. I remember standing in front of the mirror naked and saying utterly cruel things to myself- putting myself down. I used to grab fistfuls of stomach/thigh fat/back fat, whatever, and squeeze so hard I would bruise myself. Wow, that’s the first time I’ve ever admitted that to anyone. Makes me sad to think about. My self image couldn’t have been lower.

I did lose weight and regain one time and looking back, it was certainly no surprise. It was a fad diet and I did get to my goal. The problem was that when I got to goal, I went off and regained. This was no surprise to me.I was sort of expecting it but was also hoping against hope that I could be that one person who defied the odds! I wasn’t. It did take years to put it back on, and I didn’t let my weight get so high that losing again seemed impossible, but nonetheless, I gained a lot back and went right back to the same hopeless place.

I was depressed about my body. I thought about it every minute of the day. If I did manage a happy moment, it was never more than a few minutes that reality struck back into my consciousness and I thought 'oh yeah, I'm fat..' I'm sure many can relate to that.  Mainly, I felt like losing weight was shrouded in this mysterious enigma that only a small select few are privy to understanding . I certainly didn’t think it could or would ever happen for me. It did though and I want you to know that there is nothing that sets me apart from you. I was a size 20 and now am size 6. I've stayed this way for years now and nothing could make me go back.

My biggest message for those still struggling is that it only takes one day to change your life. All of those incredible life changing before and after stories you see where the person actually changed their lifestyle and is now fit and healthy? They all made a decision and commitment one day that wasn't there the day before. It can change in a day. A moment. A lifetime of diet failure can and will change the moment you allow it to.

The decision is yours. Once you make it, you will let nothing stand in your way. You will exercise in the rain or to an aerobics tape while the kids are napping. You will wake up at the crack of dawn so the rest of the house sleeps while you do it. You will fiercely protect your exercise time and your eating plan against all excuses and saboteurs and you will love every minute of it. Well, you will love most minutes of it! When your thinking changes in these ways, you can NOT fail. It won't be acceptable to you.

I hope this did not sound preachy because my heart goes out to those who suffer. I cried when I read many of your stories. I am frustrated because I know that beating yourself up about your weight on a sometimes minute to minute basis is SO MUCH HARDER than just doing what it takes to change. It's ten million times easier than the mental and physical hell that is being fat.

For anyone that read through this, God Bless you.

First | Prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Next | Last