Message Boards

Topic : What's Your Payoff for Being Overweight?

Number of Replies: 448
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:55 pm
Author : dataimport
It's time to reflect on what makes us stay at an unhealthy weight. Share your story and get support from others who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 19, 2005, 11:16 am CDT

What's Your Payoff for Being Overweight?

Hi Everyone!  I have been thinking about this topic more today and I have decided to focus more on my payoffs to keep me motivated.  My first small goal is 16 pounds (14 to go) at this time, I will get the privilige of buying a new size of jeans on top of my new self confidence.  After that my goal will be 30 more pounds and at this time I am going to buy myself a Dooney & Burke purse.  I hope this doesnt sound shallow but I have never spent this amount of money on myself for any one thing and its something I have always wanted for myself.  I am the type person I will spend money on my husband and kids but never myself because I feel unworthy.  Just my thoughts. 

Lisa 

214/170 

October 20, 2005, 6:26 am CDT

Metabolism

Quote From: daydreamer

Everything was going good in the morning.I woke up early to get ready for work, I had my healthy breakfast shake. Then for lunch I had  a frozen lean cuisine w/ plenty of water to drink. than about 45 min. later I started to feel hungry, I was holding it till I get home and have a healty dinner w/ my family. When I got home I was like a  hungry lion from Africa who just got a taste of  fresh blood. I went to a trance... and ate 2 sandwiches with white bread, 1 camble soup,and some doritos.plus what I cooked for dinner. so I had to many calories for today. I'll try it tommorow again. Dr.Phil is right I need a plan?  what kind of plan? help
I will answer your previous post with this one too. It sounds like your weight gain started the same way it did for many of us - with that first metabolic slow down around age 20. Accept it and get used to the fact that you CAN'T eat like a teenager any more. When your body stopped growing, it didn't need the extra calories, but neglected to tell your taste buds and brain that! And your body will continue to slow down as you age.
Now for the good news! You can do this, and it's been proven time and again. You just learned your first lesson. You didn't fail, you made a mistake because you weren't prepared. You have to stay ahead of the hunger curve by eating small amounts at regular intervals. If you don't, well...you know what happens. The small amounts do two things for you, it keeps you from getting too hungry and blowing it, and it shrinks your stomach so that you DON'T WANT to eat as much. You will learn other lessons as you go along. Never think of them as failure, they are ALWAYS things you need to know to be successful. And that goes for maintenance after you lose the weight. You will never again eat like you did before, it's what got you to the size you are.
Good luck!

October 20, 2005, 6:37 am CDT

Good for you!

Quote From: lisamb71

To be honest, I dont know if I am emotionally ready for the up and down roller coaster of losing weight but I am going to just jump in.  If I wait for the right time, I will never be ready.  I am going to just give a few of my tricks.  I recently lost 30 pounds but have only been maintaining that weight loss without any new loss.  First, I do not put junk food in the house.  I am a person who eats from lonliness or boredom so I cant have it on hand.  I keep things like raisins (they are sweet), fruit and cereal bars in the house.  I dont buy soda, cookies, snack foods or chips unless its something I dont like.  I have a husband and 2 teenange boys.   If I crave chocolate (dont happen often)  I go to the store for a 3 musketeer (has less fat) and then I automatically break it in half and put the rest in the trash before I even get to my car.  If I am craving a burger I do the same thing.  But I get the little cheeseburgers at Burker King...no fries.  I also weigh myself everyday.  This keeps it real for me.  When I weigh in everyday, it makes me think before I put anything in my mouth because I have to face the scales the next day.  I basically eat what I want but in smaller portions so I dont feel deprived.  I dont use mayonaise or butter and I buy only lean meats.  I dont make extra food and I always eat last (3 other males in the house). The only thing lacking for me is exercise which my husband has decided to help me with.  I have teenange sons who will soon graduate and go on to have careers and families.  I want to be an active grandma.  Sounds crazy I know because I am only 34 but I plan to be around awhile and finally get my hubby all to myself just like it used to be. :) 
 Maintenance can be one of the hardest things to master in weight loss. So many times we lose the weight quickly and fairly easily, mostly on will power, and then relax and get right back where we started. If you've been maintaining for awhile, then you have learned all the lessons you need for this size and shape. You are truly ready to move on. (This is also healthier too, to take a break, when you have substantial amounts to lose.)
I've gained some flab back recently. I had a physical goal I was training for this summer, and now that it's been achieved, I have cut back on my exercise. I did not cut back on the higher amounts I was eating though, and gained a tire around my middle. I need to lose about 20lbs, want to join me?

I am a grandma, and believe me, it's more fun being an active one.

October 20, 2005, 6:48 am CDT

The things I notice when I lose weight.

Quote From: lauritac

I am 31 years old a and 165 lbs. overweight -and what keeps me large is my own limitations I do not know how it feels to be thin I have been heavy since jr. high and just keep gaining more and more. I think for me I don't allow myself to loose the wieght or give it my all because I am afraid of failure. I see my weight as an excuse to not be successful in my life, my carreer and my marriage. I see myself as less of a person because I am overweight. But that has got to change and I am working on loving myself the way I am.  Really I get in a rut because I say to myself, If I loose the weight and I still have no succcess in my life what then, the truth is I need to believe in myself now at this weight because it is my self talk that keeps me from success in all areas of my life. 
 It must be difficult when you have nothing to compare with the way you feel.

When I lost my big chunk of weight, the first things I noticed were feeling more comfortable sitting and lying down. You can vary your posture more than before, and CROSS YOUR LEGS at the knee while sitting, not at the ankle like a guy. Another thing was crossing your arms over your chest, I was so big that my arms had to cross above my breasts, not under where they naturally should cross. Oh, and tying your shoelaces! I had to hold my breath while bending over because I was too fat to breath while bending over to tie them. These little things can make such a huge difference in your life!

Don't worry about all the other things in your life, just go for losing some weight right now. You will see that improving one area of your life seems to benefit all the other areas, and you can tackle the rest later. But what is life without health and mobility? The rest will be easier tackled when you are comfortable in your own body.

October 20, 2005, 11:10 pm CDT

Thanks for the advice

Quote From: ritehere

I will answer your previous post with this one too. It sounds like your weight gain started the same way it did for many of us - with that first metabolic slow down around age 20. Accept it and get used to the fact that you CAN'T eat like a teenager any more. When your body stopped growing, it didn't need the extra calories, but neglected to tell your taste buds and brain that! And your body will continue to slow down as you age.
Now for the good news! You can do this, and it's been proven time and again. You just learned your first lesson. You didn't fail, you made a mistake because you weren't prepared. You have to stay ahead of the hunger curve by eating small amounts at regular intervals. If you don't, well...you know what happens. The small amounts do two things for you, it keeps you from getting too hungry and blowing it, and it shrinks your stomach so that you DON'T WANT to eat as much. You will learn other lessons as you go along. Never think of them as failure, they are ALWAYS things you need to know to be successful. And that goes for maintenance after you lose the weight. You will never again eat like you did before, it's what got you to the size you are.
Good luck!

It  does makes sense ,about my metabolism  slowing down as I got older. I still  eat the same things  I did when i was growing  up. I really need to start paying more attention on what I eat,because  I  don't want to be overweihgt  in my thirties.I want to start a new me. and break free from this body of prison I have put myself onto. Thats the way I feel about my body I know it's sad,I guess I'm just tired of starting the race but never getting to the finish line and smell victory. 

Tommorow is a new day and I have a battle to fight, I will take everyones advive,Thank You! 

October 20, 2005, 11:24 pm CDT

I NEED SOME GOOD PAY OFF TOO.

Hi Everyone!  I have been thinking about this topic more today and I have decided to focus more on my payoffs to keep me motivated.  My first small goal is 16 pounds (14 to go) at this time, I will get the privilige of buying a new size of jeans on top of my new self confidence.  After that my goal will be 30 more pounds and at this time I am going to buy myself a Dooney & Burke purse.  I hope this doesnt sound shallow but I have never spent this amount of money on myself for any one thing and its something I have always wanted for myself.  I am the type person I will spend money on my husband and kids but never myself because I feel unworthy.  Just my thoughts. 

Lisa 

214/170 

HELLO,  THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA, I need some good payoff , if Start losing the weight. I have  a small goal too.10 lbs, then my second  goal  ,another 10 lbs. If i  reach my goals, i will be able to shop at the mall, for a new wardrobe. just like the rest of society, ( what size ma'am) medium  or large!  that sound great!

October 20, 2005, 11:33 pm CDT

my payoff

Quote From: lauritac

I think you need to dig deeper for a reason, a pay off everyone has one. I used to be the same as you and think I really don't have a pay off- but you do or you wouldnt keep doing the same thing over and over- you could feel like you have "control" when you eat (this is true for me) or use it as an excuse to fail ( your weight) you have to DIG DEEP believe me there is a pay off!!!  

I know you can do it to but as they say one day at a time. I know what you mean by the cravings I eat at night but now I have decided not to eat after dinner and it is so hard my body goes into binge mode at night I had to find something else to replace eating at that time of night, so I scrapbook or make cards while I watch tv and I no longer have to eat, when I go to bed I have beautiful cards to show for my hours in front of the tv, and I don't gain weight!! good luck! 

I NEVER really thought  I have a payoff, but I guess I do. I like to eat because food taste good.and when I get hungry I like to eat good tasting filling up food. I love the flavors bursting in my mouth like fireworks,and when ones done you feel full. I desperately need to change my thinking. 

October 20, 2005, 11:39 pm CDT

THANK YOU ,FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Congratulations!  You made an effort which is applaudable.  I used to do that too...pig out when I got home.  To make it easier you will have to snack on healthy things between meals.  The less you eat the more you sabotage yourself and your metabolism, I have learned from experience.  Take things like raisins, fruit, granola bars, etc to have on hand.  Remember you cant eat it if its not on hand.  When I first lost my first 30 pounds, I ate lots and lots of subway sandwhiches.  For me a 6 inch was alot of food.  It was very filling and I was fine until dinner time.  You just have to keep tweaking things till you get it right for you.  But stick to the water.  This is my new goal...get my water. 

I really appreciate your support, and advice, sometimes people really need the encouragement.how long did it take for you lose those 30lbs? did you have to exercise alot? 

Would definitely take your advice at hand. 

October 22, 2005, 7:16 pm CDT

Quote From: daydreamer

I really appreciate your support, and advice, sometimes people really need the encouragement.how long did it take for you lose those 30lbs? did you have to exercise alot? 

Would definitely take your advice at hand. 

For me the weight came off really fast (within 2 months).  I heard once that a woman trying to lose weight should eat less that 35 grams of fat a day...true or not, dont know but it worked for me.  What I did was I ate one low fat meal which was Subway or Lean Cuisine for me and then whatever I wanted for the other meal within reason.  But I always made sure I had water.  I joined Curves which is wonderful but its hard when you have no one to go with.  I quit that after a month..bad mistake. lol  But I did stick to my diet.  I am hypothyroid so I have to work harder.  You will be very surprised how much walking helps you even 30 minutes a day. Now I make sure I walk everyday and I weigh myself everyday (this isnt for everyone).  I also keep a journal of my food intake, exercise and even my thoughts for the day.  Frankly, its all about the mind power, dont quit or give up.  If you fall off the boat just get right back on.  And you are never alone in this, thousands of other people are going through this also and thousands others have been successful so I can do it too!  Keep  me posted on your progress...it helps me. lol 

Lisa 

October 22, 2005, 7:26 pm CDT

Quote From: ritehere

It must be difficult when you have nothing to compare with the way you feel.

When I lost my big chunk of weight, the first things I noticed were feeling more comfortable sitting and lying down. You can vary your posture more than before, and CROSS YOUR LEGS at the knee while sitting, not at the ankle like a guy. Another thing was crossing your arms over your chest, I was so big that my arms had to cross above my breasts, not under where they naturally should cross. Oh, and tying your shoelaces! I had to hold my breath while bending over because I was too fat to breath while bending over to tie them. These little things can make such a huge difference in your life!

Don't worry about all the other things in your life, just go for losing some weight right now. You will see that improving one area of your life seems to benefit all the other areas, and you can tackle the rest later. But what is life without health and mobility? The rest will be easier tackled when you are comfortable in your own body.
You are so Right!  I have to deal with this issue alot also.  I get on the scales and I am disappointed but then I have to remind myself that while the scales are being mean, my belly flab is going away, my jeans are looser, I did drink my water  and I am not huffing and puffing when I walk now.  Its the little things that make a big difference not necessarily the scales.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last