Message Boards

Topic : What's Your Payoff for Being Overweight?

Number of Replies: 448
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:37:55 pm
Author : dataimport
It's time to reflect on what makes us stay at an unhealthy weight. Share your story and get support from others who understand.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2005, 7:54 am CDT

What's Your Payoff for Being Overweight?

Hello Everyone!  I noticed there have not been any new posts so i was wondering how everyone is doing.  I am down by 4 pounds and 2 inches (anticipating more).  :-) 

October 27, 2005, 8:53 pm CDT

HELLO

Quote From: lisamb71

Hello Everyone!  I noticed there have not been any new posts so i was wondering how everyone is doing.  I am down by 4 pounds and 2 inches (anticipating more).  :-) 

Hello, CONGRATS  on you 4 lbs   you have lost. I need to buy a scale,because the one I have is broken.,But I feel lighter less bloated, I'm pretty sure I lost about  3 or 4 lbs. A friend and I went to a Health Food store, hopefully to find something to help  with the weight loss, I bought   a replacement meals,(shakes) and it has 6grams of fiber,and it's low carbs. i take a 16oz shake w/ skim milk  for breakfast.I really get full till  snack time at 10 am,then I have a piece of fruit,something healthy until lunch. I'm trying to  eat 6x a day.Hopefully that stragity will work. I 'm trying to prevent from starving, because when I get hungry theres no telling what Imight put in my mouth......GOOD LUCK! AND MORE POWER!!!!!! 

October 28, 2005, 7:41 am CDT

Quote From: daydreamer

Hello, CONGRATS  on you 4 lbs   you have lost. I need to buy a scale,because the one I have is broken.,But I feel lighter less bloated, I'm pretty sure I lost about  3 or 4 lbs. A friend and I went to a Health Food store, hopefully to find something to help  with the weight loss, I bought   a replacement meals,(shakes) and it has 6grams of fiber,and it's low carbs. i take a 16oz shake w/ skim milk  for breakfast.I really get full till  snack time at 10 am,then I have a piece of fruit,something healthy until lunch. I'm trying to  eat 6x a day.Hopefully that stragity will work. I 'm trying to prevent from starving, because when I get hungry theres no telling what Imight put in my mouth......GOOD LUCK! AND MORE POWER!!!!!! 

What a great start!  Do you eat the meal replacement shake for just one meal or more?  I was actually thinking about buying some Slim fast for breakfast but lately I keep forgetting to eat and breakfast is not my favorite time to eat.  My sister tells me I am making things worse on me by skipping breakfast.  I usually eat just 2 meals a day and I drink lots of water.  So much I am feeling like a fish. lol  My clothes are feeling looser and I am now able to button shirts I have not been able to in a long time.  My husband is noticing so he keeps me motivated.  Keep me posted and congratualtions!!!  I am so happy for you.

October 29, 2005, 1:40 am CDT

SLIM FAST IS YUMMIE!!

What a great start!  Do you eat the meal replacement shake for just one meal or more?  I was actually thinking about buying some Slim fast for breakfast but lately I keep forgetting to eat and breakfast is not my favorite time to eat.  My sister tells me I am making things worse on me by skipping breakfast.  I usually eat just 2 meals a day and I drink lots of water.  So much I am feeling like a fish. lol  My clothes are feeling looser and I am now able to button shirts I have not been able to in a long time.  My husband is noticing so he keeps me motivated.  Keep me posted and congratualtions!!!  I am so happy for you.

I TOOK SLIM FAST SHAKE ,BEFORE THIS  EXPENSIVE ONE ,I FOUND AT THE HEALTH STORE..SLIM FAST TASTE REALLY GOOD, AND THIS EXPENSIVE ONE .TASTE PRETTY NASTY. I'M NOT REALLY A BREAKFAST PERSON EITHER,BUT  NOW EATING BREAKFAST,IS PRETTY IMPORTANT, KEEPS YOU FROM BINGING LATER . AND  ABOUT 8 OR  9 oz OF SLIM FAST KEEPS YOU SANE FOR COUPLE HOURS. YOU SHOULD TRY IT.  I DON'T KNOW IF ITS BAD FOR MY WEIGHT LOSS,BUT I LIKE TO GO OUT EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT,WITH MY HUSBAND OR GIRLFRIENDS, WE DANCE ALL NITE LONG ,BUT WE DRINK ALOT,TEQUILA SHOTS,TO ALOT OF BEER.  HOPEFULLY THIS WON'T BE  A NEGATIVE SIGN ON MY WEIGHT  LOSS. 

November 9, 2005, 10:56 am CST

This is the week!

I've begun my weight give-away program. I lost 50 lbs 1 1/2 years ago and have watched myself gain back 25 of it. Since I was within 10lbs of my goal, I now have 35 to lose. I'm doing it Dr Phil's way this time, as I suspect that since I didn't have all of his keys down cold last time, I was not able to make the life changes necessary for long term success. I started reading the ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION  on Monday and am holding at chapter 2 while I write out my goals. I'm giving myself plenty of time to be as thorough and detailed as I know I need to be. If anybody would like to join me, I'd love the company. I've posted my dietary, exercise, and other issues on the other boards. It's a great way to gather your thoughts to write those goals.

Now for the pay-off. I've been thinking about this alot lately. I know what my pay-off was in the past, but things have changed for me in the last 5 years. I'm no longer the pathetic whiner looking for pity.
But I've come to the conclusion that I still have some traits that need work. I gave up my goal when my husband told me I looked fine, I needed to "get back to normal." When he meant normal, he meant spending more time doing things that were important to him. Now, it's not as selfish as it sounds, because I have let slide some things that I used to do that others have now had to pick up the slack on. Like house work, and finances. I don't live in a pig-sty, but it's not immaculate like it used to be. Taking care of myself, has taken precedence, and I figure if it bothers my husband and 2 sons, they can grab the cleaning rags and do it themselves. The finances don't need a microscope on them either, if my husband needs me to ride herd on his spending habits, that's his problem not mine. And there's other things that were on my husband's list for "normalcy."

The thing he doesn't seem to have "gotten" is that I HAVE been getting back to what was normal before- I've been gaining weight, feeling "what's the use?", getting depressed and basically going back to where I was. And I hate it. I know better and there's no going back. I will not be that unhappy slob anymore. He's just going to have to get used to it,  ALL of the changes. My pay-off was going back to the "who cares?" mode I guess, only it didn't work this time. I've become to in touch with my authentic self to go back there. So, I'm back in the saddle again.

November 10, 2005, 11:22 am CST

Quote From: ritehere

I've begun my weight give-away program. I lost 50 lbs 1 1/2 years ago and have watched myself gain back 25 of it. Since I was within 10lbs of my goal, I now have 35 to lose. I'm doing it Dr Phil's way this time, as I suspect that since I didn't have all of his keys down cold last time, I was not able to make the life changes necessary for long term success. I started reading the ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION  on Monday and am holding at chapter 2 while I write out my goals. I'm giving myself plenty of time to be as thorough and detailed as I know I need to be. If anybody would like to join me, I'd love the company. I've posted my dietary, exercise, and other issues on the other boards. It's a great way to gather your thoughts to write those goals.

Now for the pay-off. I've been thinking about this alot lately. I know what my pay-off was in the past, but things have changed for me in the last 5 years. I'm no longer the pathetic whiner looking for pity.
But I've come to the conclusion that I still have some traits that need work. I gave up my goal when my husband told me I looked fine, I needed to "get back to normal." When he meant normal, he meant spending more time doing things that were important to him. Now, it's not as selfish as it sounds, because I have let slide some things that I used to do that others have now had to pick up the slack on. Like house work, and finances. I don't live in a pig-sty, but it's not immaculate like it used to be. Taking care of myself, has taken precedence, and I figure if it bothers my husband and 2 sons, they can grab the cleaning rags and do it themselves. The finances don't need a microscope on them either, if my husband needs me to ride herd on his spending habits, that's his problem not mine. And there's other things that were on my husband's list for "normalcy."

The thing he doesn't seem to have "gotten" is that I HAVE been getting back to what was normal before- I've been gaining weight, feeling "what's the use?", getting depressed and basically going back to where I was. And I hate it. I know better and there's no going back. I will not be that unhappy slob anymore. He's just going to have to get used to it,  ALL of the changes. My pay-off was going back to the "who cares?" mode I guess, only it didn't work this time. I've become to in touch with my authentic self to go back there. So, I'm back in the saddle again.
First Congratulations on getting back on the horse.  I lost 8 pounds a few weeks ago and when PMS hit, they all came back overnight.  I have been in the "whats the use mode" this week but now I am done with the pitty party.  I did it before I can do it again.  I have about 35 pounds to lose also so lets do it together.

November 10, 2005, 12:20 pm CST

Alright!

First Congratulations on getting back on the horse.  I lost 8 pounds a few weeks ago and when PMS hit, they all came back overnight.  I have been in the "whats the use mode" this week but now I am done with the pitty party.  I did it before I can do it again.  I have about 35 pounds to lose also so lets do it together.
 Realize that the weight gain was mostly water weight. I've been considering only weighing myself every 2 weeks instead of once a week, because of water fluctuations. Who needs the guilt trip?
Are you also going through Dr Phil's book?

November 12, 2005, 12:08 am CST

Hi Lisa

For me the weight came off really fast (within 2 months).  I heard once that a woman trying to lose weight should eat less that 35 grams of fat a day...true or not, dont know but it worked for me.  What I did was I ate one low fat meal which was Subway or Lean Cuisine for me and then whatever I wanted for the other meal within reason.  But I always made sure I had water.  I joined Curves which is wonderful but its hard when you have no one to go with.  I quit that after a month..bad mistake. lol  But I did stick to my diet.  I am hypothyroid so I have to work harder.  You will be very surprised how much walking helps you even 30 minutes a day. Now I make sure I walk everyday and I weigh myself everyday (this isnt for everyone).  I also keep a journal of my food intake, exercise and even my thoughts for the day.  Frankly, its all about the mind power, dont quit or give up.  If you fall off the boat just get right back on.  And you are never alone in this, thousands of other people are going through this also and thousands others have been successful so I can do it too!  Keep  me posted on your progress...it helps me. lol 

Lisa 

I've been reading some of the message board and I like your inspiration and honesty.  I too had joined curves and went faithfully for several months.  I quit too and that was a mistake.  I hit that ugly word (plateau) and I fall off the horse.  I am very new to the message board and have really enjoyed the sharing of what people are doing, feeling and saying.  It really helps.  It's nice to share with someone.  I know I am not alone, but I have never been able to talk and share feelings like this.  This is great.  I really like the topic "What's your payoff for being overweight".  For me, there is no pay off.  Can't think of one.  So why do I want to stay like this.  Please help me...I need an attitude adjustment, or something.  

Kay  

November 12, 2005, 8:45 am CST

The end of the first week!

I sat down and wrote out my weight loss goals yesterday. I included a lot of writing on what it will FEEL like when I am where I want to be weight- wise. I feel so much better and more focused. Referring to my last post on my pay-off, I feel this was right on the money. Lately I've been unhappy with myself, and this feeling of WHY BOTHER, nobody cares, what's the use? The big deal is I CARE! When I lost weight before, I felt in control of my life, I felt better physically, mentally, and spiritually. I want that feeling again, and if my family think I'm being obsessive because things are not getting done that they think I should be doing, it's their problem, not mine. I was not put here to do the bidding of others. The fact that I want to do things for them, and need to do certain things for us all to live together happily is not the same as HAVING to do things or they will withhold love. That's a load of crap. If I'm unhappy with myself, what ever I do for them is tainted, it's not coming from a true outpouring of love for them from a happy peaceful person. It's rather an insincere "sacrifice" that I perform for them, grumbling about not being recognised for my selflessness. In short, another whining plea for pity "for all the things I do for you!"

I acknowledge that I have back-slid into old thought patterns. I need to become vigilant about this.
I need to "get real about my fat, or get real fat!"

On to chapter 3. Anybody that is serious about losing weight and keeping it off, you are welcome to join me. I have posted different things on all of the threads on this board, just to show what I am doing. Everybody's journey is a little different, I would love to hear other's stories.

November 13, 2005, 12:03 pm CST

to lisamb71

How is it going? I weigh myself every Sunday, so decided to stay with that habit. I lost 3 1/2 lbs last week. I know it's mostly retained water, next week I'll be working on fat loss, but it's so motivating to see that scale move!

My target date is April 15-Tax Day. That's an average of 1/2 to 2 lbs per week with a couple weeks thrown in for plateaus or other life happenings.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last