Message Boards

Topic : Raising a Special Needs Child

Number of Replies: 715
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:48:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a child with special needs? Share your advice and support with others raising a challenged child.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 15, 2007, 1:39 pm CDT

Raising a Special Needs Child

Quote From: pixiedust247

Sned a letter to the head of the child study team and specify that you would like your daughter placed in an appropriate class based on her need for xxxx (which your doctor should specify). They are required by law to respond to any written request. If your child has a diagnosis, they SHOULD respect that, but don't HAVE to. (This may very by state). HOWEVER, you can request a full evaluation of your child based on issues she is having in the classroom and at home. And they have to accommodate you.

Good luck!

If they are anything but accomodating to you, contact an education lawyer.
I also have a son who is 10, who was recently diagnosed with ADHD and possible ODD.  Because I took so long deciding if medication and an official diagnosis would do more harm than good, he also developed some anger issues.  He is a very sweet boy, but he has a hard time controlling his temper and when his medication level begins to be less effective, he can't help but argue with everything we say.  I pulled him out of school last year and homeschooled him, because he was so far behind.  Once he began his medication the results were amazing.  He was able to focus and retain more information.  He didn't argue, he was extrememly sensitive to others, and he just seemed to be able to make a connection with people that he couldn't make before.  Unfortunately, his medication is still needing some adjustments, as he seems to be developing a tolerance after a month or so of taking it.  If possible, I would recommend removing your son from a school where he is being picked on.  My son will be returning to a private school this year with his other brothers.  He is still behind, but he can learn better now and I'm certain he will be able to catch up over the next couple of years.  Also, your son has a legal right by federal law to assistance whether he is homeschooled or in the public school system.  Have the school test him, if they refuse, they are breaking federal laws.  Assistance is available from the public school system and he is entitled to it, but some one on one time with you for a school year, may benefit your son more than years of special education.  

June 15, 2007, 2:02 pm CDT

Quote From: twistedpixie

thank you for taking the time to read what im going through, its a good feeling knowing im not alone with whats going on with my son. i hope things are working well with you, i know it can be hard seeing our children go through, what they go through.
My son has ADHD and ODD.  He is 10.  I researched and read and avoided the official diagnosis for 4 years.  It didn't help my son.  By the time I consulted the pediatrician, he had developed self-esteem problems, social problems and anger issues.  The medications available are safe and very effective.  My son's pediatrician has Adult ADHD and her son has the condition as well.  The improvement I've seen in my son has been amazing.  The medication doesn't dope them, it helps them connect in a way they could not without it.  I have many regrets about waiting so long.  Read peer reviewed articles.  www.medscape.com has articles about current treatments and studies for new treatments.  My husband's brother suffered undiagnosed with ADHD AND ODD his whole life.  He committed suicide when he was 28.  I want my son to have every opportunity to understand the world he lives in and connect and interact with it in a healthy way.  Read, do research, just make sure it is proven research and not conjecture and opinion.  Best Wishes.

June 27, 2007, 4:14 pm CDT

21 month old with O.D.D.???

I have a little boy, Mitchell, who is 21 months old and completely OUT OF CONTROL!! I feel completely sure that he has ADHD...I have a 10 year old with it. My 10 year old, Brandon, has been on Concerta since he was diagnosed at the age of 4. Mitchell's behaviors are very similar but, very different from Brandon's at this age. Brandon was never "mean", just very busy...Mitchell, on the other hand is busy and mean. He HATES to be told "no". If I tell him no, he will slap me, spit on me, pull my hair, pinch me...you name it, he has done it. My question is can a 21 month old already show signs of O.D.D. and what can I do? Timeout isn't working either, he can last for hours. Someone, PLEASE help!!!
Thanks!
Jennifer

July 10, 2007, 8:33 pm CDT

9 year old girl that sees the world as a scary place

I have a 9 year old daughter that just recently went through her second series of tests to see if she had any type of learning disability.  The first test said she had ADHD and showed signs of ODD but she didn't have dyslexia.  She was immediately started on Stratera and it seemed to work for about a year.  It really didn't help her hyper active side, but it kept her a little bit more even tempered.  My daughter has a long history of being extremely emotional and gets physical when doesn't get her way.  She began acting out at school and in public.  In preschool and first grade she had such tantrums that it resulted in the rest of the class being taken out until she calmed down.  She has yelled, screamed, thrown things, and even hid under tables and left the classroom during her episodes.  I asked my ex, her father about putting her on a different medicine but, he said that she was just lazy and acting out for attention.  Nothing that a  good spanking wouldn't take care of and it was my fault because of my parenting skills.  During, the Christmas break this year my daughter continued to get worse.  Now, while there are at my ex's he refuses to give her the medicine so I just quit sending it.  I began starting her back on it in January but she started getting motion sick all the time.  In Feb, she got really sick and came down with pneumonia.  She stopped being herself after that.  Her attitude changed and she just stopped trying. 

We had her tested again and at first my ex was on board, but then he stopped.  I asked him to come to the appointment he refused.  I asked him to write on paper his concerns about her behavior but he didn't.  When they gave me a paper with over 200 questions to fill out about my daughter I faxed it to him and finally he filled something out.  I took my daughter to all the appointments for the testing to be done.  When the report came back it said she has ADHD, Dyslexia, and that we may be looking at the start of bipolar, but her views of life were the big problem.  My daughter sees blood and guts in everything.  She sees demons and devils and is afraid of everybody killing her.  She doesn't watch any scary movies but no matter what she sees vampires and goblins in everything.  This goes way beyond being afraid of the dark and my heart breaks for her.  Her father said he didn't believe it and she was lying.  He called her and told her that he was going to the next appointment and that she was a liar because she didn't see any of those things she said.  I had to sit there and pick up the pieces of my daughter after his little talk.  She refused to go, she begged me not to let her dad go, she cried half the night, and I spent the night completely upset.  The next day we went to the doctor and my ex showed up.  He did his thing of acting like he was on board and being supportive but it was all a lie.  My daughter was given ABILIFY and for her it has been a miracle.  Almost over night she was sleeping again in her own bed.  Her need to beat everybody up seemed to go away.  Her teacher was so impressed with her complete change of behavior that she commented about it.  My daughter was even awarded  student of the month after starting the medicine.  Summer vacation started and she went to stay at her dad's for a month.  His wife and him told her she was a liar again and even stopped giving her the medicine.  He told her that she didn't need the medicine because there was nothing wrong with her.  They just simply stopped giving her the medicine and when she asked about it they told her she already took it.  My daughter is completely destroyed again and he keeps doing it.  He has her so scared and messed up because of not having the medicine that she started believing him.  He is planning on taking her to the doctor to tell them that she lied and doesn't need the medicine.  I already have her scheduled monthly check up with her psychologist that she sees and now with her dad doing this I don't know what to do.  The scheduled appointment I am taking her to is in 2 weeks, and the one he is taking her to is in about 5 weeks.  What is the doctor going to do?  How is he going to give her the help she needs one week, but figure out what is going on with my daughter when my ex brings her there?  Can I trust that the doctor will see my ex as being controlling and manipulating and that my daughter feels she has to say all these things so he won't be mean to her?  What do I do to help her?  please someone help me.  I am so afraid that he will convince her again that she doesn't need the medicine.  When she started taking stratera he told her I was giving her drugs and that I was a bad person.  He told her that so many times that she started hiding her medicine and saying she took it.  He would throw it in the garbage and send back the empty bottle telling me he threw it away.  We would give her the medicine at our home and she would put it in her mouth act like she swallowed it and run off to her room.  We started finding it hidden in her dresser drawers.  I had to take her to the doctor and they told her that she needed the medicine.  It took a long time but we finally got her back to trusting us.  What do we do?  Does anybody have any suggestions?

July 10, 2007, 11:30 pm CDT

Wow this isn't fair to your doughter at all

Quote From: onemorestory

I have a 9 year old daughter that just recently went through her second series of tests to see if she had any type of learning disability.  The first test said she had ADHD and showed signs of ODD but she didn't have dyslexia.  She was immediately started on Stratera and it seemed to work for about a year.  It really didn't help her hyper active side, but it kept her a little bit more even tempered.  My daughter has a long history of being extremely emotional and gets physical when doesn't get her way.  She began acting out at school and in public.  In preschool and first grade she had such tantrums that it resulted in the rest of the class being taken out until she calmed down.  She has yelled, screamed, thrown things, and even hid under tables and left the classroom during her episodes.  I asked my ex, her father about putting her on a different medicine but, he said that she was just lazy and acting out for attention.  Nothing that a  good spanking wouldn't take care of and it was my fault because of my parenting skills.  During, the Christmas break this year my daughter continued to get worse.  Now, while there are at my ex's he refuses to give her the medicine so I just quit sending it.  I began starting her back on it in January but she started getting motion sick all the time.  In Feb, she got really sick and came down with pneumonia.  She stopped being herself after that.  Her attitude changed and she just stopped trying. 

We had her tested again and at first my ex was on board, but then he stopped.  I asked him to come to the appointment he refused.  I asked him to write on paper his concerns about her behavior but he didn't.  When they gave me a paper with over 200 questions to fill out about my daughter I faxed it to him and finally he filled something out.  I took my daughter to all the appointments for the testing to be done.  When the report came back it said she has ADHD, Dyslexia, and that we may be looking at the start of bipolar, but her views of life were the big problem.  My daughter sees blood and guts in everything.  She sees demons and devils and is afraid of everybody killing her.  She doesn't watch any scary movies but no matter what she sees vampires and goblins in everything.  This goes way beyond being afraid of the dark and my heart breaks for her.  Her father said he didn't believe it and she was lying.  He called her and told her that he was going to the next appointment and that she was a liar because she didn't see any of those things she said.  I had to sit there and pick up the pieces of my daughter after his little talk.  She refused to go, she begged me not to let her dad go, she cried half the night, and I spent the night completely upset.  The next day we went to the doctor and my ex showed up.  He did his thing of acting like he was on board and being supportive but it was all a lie.  My daughter was given ABILIFY and for her it has been a miracle.  Almost over night she was sleeping again in her own bed.  Her need to beat everybody up seemed to go away.  Her teacher was so impressed with her complete change of behavior that she commented about it.  My daughter was even awarded  student of the month after starting the medicine.  Summer vacation started and she went to stay at her dad's for a month.  His wife and him told her she was a liar again and even stopped giving her the medicine.  He told her that she didn't need the medicine because there was nothing wrong with her.  They just simply stopped giving her the medicine and when she asked about it they told her she already took it.  My daughter is completely destroyed again and he keeps doing it.  He has her so scared and messed up because of not having the medicine that she started believing him.  He is planning on taking her to the doctor to tell them that she lied and doesn't need the medicine.  I already have her scheduled monthly check up with her psychologist that she sees and now with her dad doing this I don't know what to do.  The scheduled appointment I am taking her to is in 2 weeks, and the one he is taking her to is in about 5 weeks.  What is the doctor going to do?  How is he going to give her the help she needs one week, but figure out what is going on with my daughter when my ex brings her there?  Can I trust that the doctor will see my ex as being controlling and manipulating and that my daughter feels she has to say all these things so he won't be mean to her?  What do I do to help her?  please someone help me.  I am so afraid that he will convince her again that she doesn't need the medicine.  When she started taking stratera he told her I was giving her drugs and that I was a bad person.  He told her that so many times that she started hiding her medicine and saying she took it.  He would throw it in the garbage and send back the empty bottle telling me he threw it away.  We would give her the medicine at our home and she would put it in her mouth act like she swallowed it and run off to her room.  We started finding it hidden in her dresser drawers.  I had to take her to the doctor and they told her that she needed the medicine.  It took a long time but we finally got her back to trusting us.  What do we do?  Does anybody have any suggestions?

First of all I am so sorry that u are going threw this with your ex. He sounds like a jerk to say the least. I am shure he loves your little gril but he isn't thinking about whats best for her like any perent shold do.

With that said, I think you should let the doc know about all of this. Don't hold back and don't lie to make it sound less or worse then it is. Just state the facts. And tell him that you don't know what to do about this. I belive it is consderd neglect for a perent not to follow doctors orders when it comes to the children. Then I would call the court house and ask them what can be done about this. He may find himself in a huge mess, mabie they'll just limet his time with her or something to make shure she is getting her meds as order and her needs met. Good luck, I feel for you. I am in the middle of trying to find my own doughter help that she needs, and I don't know what that is. she ackts out and throughs fits and she is 11 now. and the doc know about it.  She is got juvenile diabetes and is mildly mently retarted but I haven't got any more answers then that. I belive something eals is going on and that she also may need meds to help her calm down and deal with life better. And if that happens her dad won't give her the meds he is against it. And she is with him half the week and me the other half of the week. and he don't go to the doc apoments or anything I do all that. Always have so I don't know what to say about that part of your case. They are involved when they want to be thats about all. keep me posted.

July 18, 2007, 12:14 pm CDT

9 yr old bipolar son

My son is 9 years old and has been diagnosed with bipolar, adhd, odd, tick syndrome and other behavioral disorders. It is absolutely tearing my family apart. My son can be the sweetest, most wonderful person in the world and in moments he becomes the person that has tried to strangle my 2 year old daughter and has been in multiple fights with neighborhood kids and in school. He is mostly depressed and it seems that he wants to make everyone he has contact with to feel the same. I have him on risperdal, depakote and focalin and it seems like the meds work when he is first gets on a new one (we have tried many types to get the right dose)  but then he is much worse than he was before. I was dead set against medicating him in the beginning, but after research and many conversations with his doctor, I gave in. Now I am worried that the meds are hurting him more than helping him. It has gotten to the point where I moved my family ( I have 2 other children) to give my son a fresh start and now the rest of the family resent him for taknig them from their friends and family. His father has just told me that it is either our son or my himself that has to go because he is just at his end. I have considered sending him to a facility to help, but I feel that will make him feel abandoned and unloved, and I also feel he needs the support and strength of his family to help him get better. I am looking for advice and if anyone knows whether there are any support groups for parents of bipolar children, that would be great.

July 23, 2007, 12:23 pm CDT

Residential Treament Facility???

Quote From: lissa1121

My son is 9 years old and has been diagnosed with bipolar, adhd, odd, tick syndrome and other behavioral disorders. It is absolutely tearing my family apart. My son can be the sweetest, most wonderful person in the world and in moments he becomes the person that has tried to strangle my 2 year old daughter and has been in multiple fights with neighborhood kids and in school. He is mostly depressed and it seems that he wants to make everyone he has contact with to feel the same. I have him on risperdal, depakote and focalin and it seems like the meds work when he is first gets on a new one (we have tried many types to get the right dose)  but then he is much worse than he was before. I was dead set against medicating him in the beginning, but after research and many conversations with his doctor, I gave in. Now I am worried that the meds are hurting him more than helping him. It has gotten to the point where I moved my family ( I have 2 other children) to give my son a fresh start and now the rest of the family resent him for taknig them from their friends and family. His father has just told me that it is either our son or my himself that has to go because he is just at his end. I have considered sending him to a facility to help, but I feel that will make him feel abandoned and unloved, and I also feel he needs the support and strength of his family to help him get better. I am looking for advice and if anyone knows whether there are any support groups for parents of bipolar children, that would be great.

My daughter is 8 and was diagnosed with bipolar 3 years ago. We have tried numerous medications and we still haven't figured out the right combination. She was hospitalized twice in 6 months. She also can be the most loving and affectionate child but one second later she can go to the extreme opposite. I recently sent her to a residential treatment facility. I actually suggested to Dr. Phil that he do a show on these places. She has been there for a month and I'm still unsure how I feel about it. It has been very tough and a lot of crying between the 2 of us but I thought it would be the best thing for her.

Maybe it is the particular facility she is at but she is making accusations of things that the staff members say and do to her. I tell her clinician what she tells me and nothing has been solved yet. She tells me is looking into things but she believes Abbie is making these stories up to get out. I'm not convinced of that because she goes into such great detail and again she is only 8.

I though this would be a great oppurtunity for her to be put on a good combination of medication and to learn as much as she can about her disorder. But instead I think she is going to be leaving, learning things that no 8 year old she know.

She asked me yesterday who Emily Rose is? I asker her why? She said that is what they call me. So i asked her who they is. She said the staff. I was appalled by this. Is this exceptable to them? I don't know if you are familiar who Emily Rose is. She is the girl who is possessed in the movie the Exorcism of Emily Rose. But again this will be blown off like it is no big deal.

I am fighting to get her tranfered cause again I hop that it is just the facility. But I wish I had better answers for you cause I know what you are going through. God bless you and your family. I don't think a residentail facility would be such a bad idea if you really look into the place before hand. Try and find the best there is in your area. Good luck to you.

July 24, 2007, 8:07 am CDT

Family in Crisis! We need help, fast!

I have been a single mom for the past 9 years.  I have two children, a 14 year old son and an 11 year old daughter.  My daughter is a piece of cake.  Respectful, sweet, nurturning, loving, etc... my son on the other hand is a different story.  He has been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, however I don't believe that is his primary problem,  I truly believe he is bi-polar, and needs more help than I have been able to find for him. 

He has been on meds since he was 9 years old.  He probably should have been on them long before that, but I was avidly against them for years.  I just thought he was a "spirited" little guy, that never walked, always ran, jumped from couch to couch, or table to table.  People used to ask me if he knew how to walk because he ran and climbed everywhere we went!  Until he started declining in school, I didn't even consider meds. 

The scary thing about my son is his rage.  He gets so angry, that he scares me.  His sister has been in the emergency room at his hand more than once.  He slammed the door on her face when she was a baby and her finger was in the hinge and she had to get it sewn back on, he stuck her in the eye with a protractor when she was about 4, he has pushed her off of the bed and caused her to need stitches in her face, he has punched her, kicked her, pulled her hair, and hurt her more times than I can count.  He does nothing for himself, if he is hungry he will call for me or his sister to get him something, and she does it because she is afraid not to. 

In November he was arrested for assault against me.  He was angry with me because I wouldn't take him somewhere he wanted to go (because of his behavior earlier in the day), and he called me to find out when I was coming to get him to take him and his friend to our local arcade sort of place.  When I explained to him that his behavior didn't warrant a reward, he proceeded to break any and all glass that he could find within his reach.  When I got home (just a few moments later) he was laying on his bed reading a magazine like nothing had happened.  With me were my boyfriend, my best friend (who was visiting me from California) and my daughter.  I went into his room to talk to him, and tell him he needed to clean up all of the broken glass that was covering my entire livingroom, dining room, and kitchen.  He told me he was not cleaning it up, and never would.  I grabbed his arm, and told him he needed to get up and come with me, and he hit me.  By the end of this argument, he had pulled out some of my hair, I was bleeding, bruised, and my heart was broken.  My boyfriend (thank God he was there) came in and just held him down.  The rage that was in him was frightening to say the least.  It took both of us to hold him down, and he fought every single second.  My boyfriend asked me if it would be okay with me if we called the police, as this really was our only option at this point.  We called the police, and then Michael just went limp,  He laid on the ground and sobbed and sobbed.  We sat there and rubbed his back and his legs until the police arrived, all crying.  He was drained from the adrenline rush and just laid there, not moving but crying.  When the police got there it started all over again.  They had to physically pick him up and carry him out of my house, kicking and screaming the entire time. 

30 minutes later, the police officer called me to tell me he was being released, there was no room for him in the juvenile detention facility.  I went and picked him up, amazed that there was nothing else they were going to do. 

He is maintaining a perfect 'F' report card, he doesn't care about school, he only cares about his friends.  He is smoking, and I know of at least three times that he has drank alcohol.  I found marijuana in my back yard, which call me naive, I questioned him and his friends seperately, and got the same story from all of them, and at that time I truly believed that it wasn't his and he didn't smoke it...but still, it was at my home...He has no regard for authority, no respect for me, and no thought of anyone but himself.  I have taken him to psychologists, psychatrists, church youth pastors, talked to school counselors, teachers, principals, guidance counselors, special ed groups, etc...  and when I did everything I knew to do, I tried again, and started over...

...then I called his dad.  He hasn't been a dad for 9 years, and wasn't much of one before that.  But his dad said to send him to him in Florida (we live in Texas).  So in February, I sent him there.  It was the hardest decision I have ever made, but for my daughter, and myself and hopefully for him, I thought I was making the right decision.  My boyfriend asked me one day how long I was going to sacrifice one child for the other, and I never realized that I was doing that, but he was right.  I sacrificed daily her well-being for his.  She took a back burner because I always had to have my attention on him, he just demanded so much.  My boyfriend asked me what kind of relationships I was setting her up for?  I was teaching her how to be an abused wife, and how to live in fear with someone that hurts you, and he was right, but I had never thought of that before.  So, we made the decision, as a family to send him to Florida. 

Well, he has bombed there too, a week ago last Friday he ran away from his Dad's.  His dad called me and told me that he cannot come back there, that if he does his wife and year old son are going to leave him.  Since he left, I have moved into my boyfriends parents basement, where I share a room with my daughter, and he can't live here.  I can't afford to move, and for all of the same reasons that I sent him to his dad's, I am afraid to have him come home.  I have talked to him, he is staying at a friends house for now, and I have no clue what to do or where to go from here.  I have to make a decision in the next two days, and I don't even know where to begin...

Please Help!

July 25, 2007, 9:57 am CDT

Quote From: tracylyn73

I have been a single mom for the past 9 years.  I have two children, a 14 year old son and an 11 year old daughter.  My daughter is a piece of cake.  Respectful, sweet, nurturning, loving, etc... my son on the other hand is a different story.  He has been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, however I don't believe that is his primary problem,  I truly believe he is bi-polar, and needs more help than I have been able to find for him. 

He has been on meds since he was 9 years old.  He probably should have been on them long before that, but I was avidly against them for years.  I just thought he was a "spirited" little guy, that never walked, always ran, jumped from couch to couch, or table to table.  People used to ask me if he knew how to walk because he ran and climbed everywhere we went!  Until he started declining in school, I didn't even consider meds. 

The scary thing about my son is his rage.  He gets so angry, that he scares me.  His sister has been in the emergency room at his hand more than once.  He slammed the door on her face when she was a baby and her finger was in the hinge and she had to get it sewn back on, he stuck her in the eye with a protractor when she was about 4, he has pushed her off of the bed and caused her to need stitches in her face, he has punched her, kicked her, pulled her hair, and hurt her more times than I can count.  He does nothing for himself, if he is hungry he will call for me or his sister to get him something, and she does it because she is afraid not to. 

In November he was arrested for assault against me.  He was angry with me because I wouldn't take him somewhere he wanted to go (because of his behavior earlier in the day), and he called me to find out when I was coming to get him to take him and his friend to our local arcade sort of place.  When I explained to him that his behavior didn't warrant a reward, he proceeded to break any and all glass that he could find within his reach.  When I got home (just a few moments later) he was laying on his bed reading a magazine like nothing had happened.  With me were my boyfriend, my best friend (who was visiting me from California) and my daughter.  I went into his room to talk to him, and tell him he needed to clean up all of the broken glass that was covering my entire livingroom, dining room, and kitchen.  He told me he was not cleaning it up, and never would.  I grabbed his arm, and told him he needed to get up and come with me, and he hit me.  By the end of this argument, he had pulled out some of my hair, I was bleeding, bruised, and my heart was broken.  My boyfriend (thank God he was there) came in and just held him down.  The rage that was in him was frightening to say the least.  It took both of us to hold him down, and he fought every single second.  My boyfriend asked me if it would be okay with me if we called the police, as this really was our only option at this point.  We called the police, and then Michael just went limp,  He laid on the ground and sobbed and sobbed.  We sat there and rubbed his back and his legs until the police arrived, all crying.  He was drained from the adrenline rush and just laid there, not moving but crying.  When the police got there it started all over again.  They had to physically pick him up and carry him out of my house, kicking and screaming the entire time. 

30 minutes later, the police officer called me to tell me he was being released, there was no room for him in the juvenile detention facility.  I went and picked him up, amazed that there was nothing else they were going to do. 

He is maintaining a perfect 'F' report card, he doesn't care about school, he only cares about his friends.  He is smoking, and I know of at least three times that he has drank alcohol.  I found marijuana in my back yard, which call me naive, I questioned him and his friends seperately, and got the same story from all of them, and at that time I truly believed that it wasn't his and he didn't smoke it...but still, it was at my home...He has no regard for authority, no respect for me, and no thought of anyone but himself.  I have taken him to psychologists, psychatrists, church youth pastors, talked to school counselors, teachers, principals, guidance counselors, special ed groups, etc...  and when I did everything I knew to do, I tried again, and started over...

...then I called his dad.  He hasn't been a dad for 9 years, and wasn't much of one before that.  But his dad said to send him to him in Florida (we live in Texas).  So in February, I sent him there.  It was the hardest decision I have ever made, but for my daughter, and myself and hopefully for him, I thought I was making the right decision.  My boyfriend asked me one day how long I was going to sacrifice one child for the other, and I never realized that I was doing that, but he was right.  I sacrificed daily her well-being for his.  She took a back burner because I always had to have my attention on him, he just demanded so much.  My boyfriend asked me what kind of relationships I was setting her up for?  I was teaching her how to be an abused wife, and how to live in fear with someone that hurts you, and he was right, but I had never thought of that before.  So, we made the decision, as a family to send him to Florida. 

Well, he has bombed there too, a week ago last Friday he ran away from his Dad's.  His dad called me and told me that he cannot come back there, that if he does his wife and year old son are going to leave him.  Since he left, I have moved into my boyfriends parents basement, where I share a room with my daughter, and he can't live here.  I can't afford to move, and for all of the same reasons that I sent him to his dad's, I am afraid to have him come home.  I have talked to him, he is staying at a friends house for now, and I have no clue what to do or where to go from here.  I have to make a decision in the next two days, and I don't even know where to begin...

Please Help!

Tracylyn...has your son every been hospitalized? My daughter is bipolar and I have known something wasnt right since she was about 3. They have treated her for ADHD for the longest time but I kept insisting that is not it. I played by the Dr.'s rules until I brought vidoe tapes into show how bad things really get. That is when he suggesting hospitalizing her. She was in there for almost a month until they realeased her. Things were good for about 2 weeks and it all started again. She was hospitalized again about 2 months after she was released. Again she was in there a little over a month. While in the hospital, the therapist suggested she go to a Residential Treatment Facility. Her tantrums were still severe even in the hospital so I thought this would be the best thing for the both of us. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

She has been there now for 1 1/2 months and they are to figure out the right combination of medication. She is doing ok now. I think it is helping her deal with her feeling and she is learning about her disorder. I suggested staring out with having him hospitalized.

Good Luck to you and your family.

July 29, 2007, 10:58 pm CDT

Christopher

I have not posted on here in a year WOW!!  Christopher has now started crawling and within 5 days of crawling started climbing on everything!!  We recently got his AFO's to help with ankle support and he is working on standing unaided and learning to walk.  He is still the happiest lil guy and makes every day with him a blessing.  You can ask him if he is happy and he will say appy appy appy the whole time laughing.  We are going the 4th of september to Baylor Medical in Dallas Texas for a feeding clinic that will last 3 weeks but we will get to come home on weekends.  He continues to amaze me every day with his achievements and progress.  Mothers day this year he crawled across the floor at my aunts house and climbed up on the couch next to me and snuggled up and said hi momma then he said I luh yu.  That was the first time he had ever said that to me without prompting.  That was the greatest day of my life!!  He is about to start the Child Achievement Program at the rehab center and they are planning a lot of aqua therapy which I know my lil fish will love!!  Always keep your faith!!  I now own a home and a new car with the help of the Lord. 

First | Prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | Next | Last