Message Boards

Topic : Raising a Special Needs Child

Number of Replies: 715
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:48:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a child with special needs? Share your advice and support with others raising a challenged child.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 21, 2008, 1:42 pm CST

Raising a Special Needs Child

Even with all the triles we face it is a blessing to have my son. We've been in this battle for over a year and have come a long way. He is my teacher at times.

February 22, 2008, 7:23 pm CST

Autism

HI my mother had her first son at the age of eighteen. His name was danny and he was born autistic. she later divorced and married my father. including me they had three healthy children. me and my girlfriend are having our first child due june 28th of this year. we recently found out the baby is a boy. we are worried because recearch shows that it now may be herditary and is commonly found among males more than females. Can anyone relate or point us in the right direction to good information?

February 26, 2008, 12:55 pm CST

someone with autism loves me

For one human being to love another is perhaps the most difficult task entrusted to us for which all other work is merely prepration

February 26, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

Quote From: james0077

HI my mother had her first son at the age of eighteen. His name was danny and he was born autistic. she later divorced and married my father. including me they had three healthy children. me and my girlfriend are having our first child due june 28th of this year. we recently found out the baby is a boy. we are worried because recearch shows that it now may be herditary and is commonly found among males more than females. Can anyone relate or point us in the right direction to good information?
I have to boys. My oldest has autism after that shocking news I learned my youngest had an 80% chance to be austic too. Good news he is a well rounded healthy child. I know thees no answer of y autism happens I do suggest that in labor try to refuse the drug potcin to help hurry labor. That was the only didfrence between my boys. Hope that helped!

March 9, 2008, 9:33 pm CDT

ADD and Gluten-free dies

I just really want people to know that I have a 7 yr. old who was really acting out in class.  we were getting phone calls from the teachers.  I found out during the first report card parent interviews that he was sitting next to the teachers desk backward because he was getting to distracted and not getting any work done.  Apparently his teacher had to practically bribe him to sit down for more than 10 mins at a time.  At home he had anger problems and home reading would take forever.  I was looking in to getting him tested for ADD when I heard that the gluten-free diet was suppose to help concentraion.  I talked to his teacher to let her know what we were doing and have her let me know if she saw any kind of improvement. To be honest, I thought we would have him on it for a few weeks see no results.  To my complete surprise, his teacher phoned back in a week and said that my son is now siting with the rest of the class.  He also was able to raise his reading comprehension from a 2 to a 7.5.  His anger at home dissapeared (for the most part) and he was acting like the sweet 3yr old I remember.  I could not believe the difference it made and I just wanted everyone who has children with ADD or ADHD ( I also heard it can work with autistic children too) to please give this a try!!!  I now have my younger son on it and he also is catching up in school to. 

To these mom's whose children really throw tantrums because they dont want to go to school because they hate it - trust me I know- maybe they have a reason to hate it because they can't sit still or concentrate.

March 9, 2008, 9:40 pm CDT

Quote From: lucille56

I watched a rerun the other day on Dr. Phil about children out of control. I was so stunned by some of the things I heard an saw that I had to post my view on it.  Let me give a little insight as to why. My son is now 25yrs old. Great young man, works 2 jobs, went 2yrs of college. He has a good life, he is having fun. He has not always been a good kid, you would never know now at 25 that he was such a awful child. When our son was about 2 he became so unruly we would not even go out to eat. We never had a sitter, no one would watch him he was so bad. He was out of control. By the time he started school, nothing had changed with him, I was called on a regular basis from school, always in trouble. He couldn't sit still, he had tantrums, just awful, I was wondering at that time what we did wrong,(spoiled to much or what). He got into 2nd grade an things got really bad, got called to the school for meeting an was told by his 2nd grade teacher that he was ADD/Hyper an needed to be put on medication.  I did not agree with her an of course she got mad. I do think that Doctors an Teachers are so quick to say kids are ADD these days, its the easy way, it is an assumption thats the problem due to behavior. Of course a parent never wants to think there is something wrong with there child. Finally after a couple weeks of notes from the teacher of him being in trouble daily my husband an I finally took him to his Doctor to be checked out. Told the Doc what the teacher thought. The Doc said, he is a normal boy, don't worry about it. Nothing changed after that, I think his teacher was mad because of the Doc's diagnosis. To me she took things out on him more,an expected more of him. At the end of the school year  all the kids got there reports to bring home, I was totally shocked at what the teacher wrote on the back in the comment area. She said, my son had major psychological problems that needed attended to. I was so shocked by this that I called the school to speak with the principle. Of course he told me she should have never put that on there an he would speak to her about it. Nothing ever got done about it an the bad thing is that stayed on his record. So you can imagine what the years ahead were. BAD, he was labeled. My husband an I took him to a psychologist during the summer just to verify to us there was no problem an of course we were told he was not ADD. I finally deceided to do some research myself to see if I could find an answer to his unruly behavior, he couldn't sit still, he threw things, he had tantrums, just awful. I went to our local library an started researching, I came across food allergies an behaviors. Very interesting to me. I started changing his diet. I made his lunch everyday an sent to school. Natural peanut butter, celery,carrots, I bought at the health food store candies, Carob choc. (M&M'S), no artifical coloring or flavoring of any kind, no more soda(unless it was a clear soda an that was on occasion, no sugar, no ketcup or mayo(there were receipes in the books telling you how to make it tho) It was a difficult thing to do but we tried it for 1mo. an you would not believe the different child I had. Everyone commented on his behavior an ask what we had done to change him.  One day at school he fell an hurt his ankle an had to take him to ER for x-ray, I picked him up an he was off the wall, I knew right then, he ate something he should not have. The Doc knew it to, the Doc asked him what in the world is wrong with you today, my son said I traded my carrots for cheetos at lunch. We kept him on this program of foods for approx. a yr or so. He finally outgrew what ever it was that affected his little brain when he ate all that junk.  OK, so now back to the beginning, when I saw that show an Dr. Lawson said that sometimes food allergies, I was stunned because I had been saying that for years an no one believed me. Then about 2-3 days later I saw on the new where they were linking artifical favors an colors to food allergies, again stunned. I found all this info out 25yrs ago. I have alot of friends who put there children on ritalin or other meds, to me thats the easy way out, its the easy way for the teacher an the parent.(sorry parents, I know your not going to like that) but its true. It is very hard an a little more costly to eat this way but believe me the outcome is worth it. Try it for a month before you put your child on any meds, go to the library, there are alot of books telling you this an giving examples of foods for them to eat. I know how hard it is but PLEASE,PLEASE do  your research before meds.In alot of cases meds are not the answer just an easy way out. I know there will be alot of people that won't agree with me but if you take a little time to research it you might. It was all worth it for my son an that was 25yrs ago an no meds.
I just posted a message that has to do with diet change.  I totally agree with you.  We  are having the same problem with our son and we found the gluten-free diet to be a miracle cure (except when he cheats on it)

March 14, 2008, 8:17 pm CDT

Selected Mutism

My young niece has a form of selected Mutism, and stopped talking when she was a toddler. She is 6 now, and will whisper in her sister and Mother's ear only.  Because she is able to speak, we never made a big deal about it in front of her or tried to get her to talk.  We thought without pressure she would talk (out loud) when she was ready.

We want to encourage her to talk, but don't want her feel self conscious about it.  I'm afraid the older she gets the harder it will be for her to start.

If anyone has a child with the same condition, any advice would be welcome.  Kelley

June 17, 2008, 11:44 pm CDT

I have five children and my eldest was diagnosed with Autism at four years of age but since then the Autism has faded alot compared to what he used to be like and he has now also been diagnosed with ODD (oppositional defiance disorder). Alot of people may be skeptical and say no such thing and all kids hate authority because I used to be one of those people until it happened in our family. My son reacts to authority that bad that he turns the classroom and bedroom upside down (plus hes pulled a knife on his sisters) if he doesnt like what hes been told, he will just get up and walk out his classroom and out of the school grounds just because he wants to or hes bored etc and it doesnt matter how you approach any situation he throws at us it always turns out ugly. My son is only 10years old and I have explained the dangers of him leaving the school and walking on the main road etc and he did tell me he understood now so I thought I was getting somewhere with him but its getting worse again and Im not sure how to discipline my children appropriately. I dont believe in smacking or medication but its come down to my partner and I constantly yelling which isnt achieving anything either. My autistic child is also stealing money from me and he steals toy cars at the shop which now I just dont take him to the shops and I know if my child/ren yell at me to ignore them until they speak nicely and Im just learning to ignore my autistic sons behaviour when he kicks and disrespects property (as the school told me to ignore what he does and dont speak to him whle hes acting up cos he wants the attention) but at the same time Im walking home and hes kicking other peoples fences etc and Im ignoring him then he eventually stopped but only when we were around the corner from home and when hes disrespecting other peoples stuff and Im not saying anything people are gonna wanna knock me out cos it looks like i dont care when I do and even if I explain the situation they may not care. My younger children are well behaved at school and there not a problem for me but Im really not sure what is the right way for a parent to act towards their children. I usually take something away from them but for my autistic son that doesnt work at all and explaining things doesnt work either. Somebody please help me.

July 8, 2008, 2:29 pm CDT

HELP WITH A ASPERGER CHILD!

MISSISSIPPI IS ABUSING MY ASPERGER SON. HE HAS BEEN LEFT BEHIND!  ALL THE DOCTORS AND YEARS AND STILL NO SERVICES FOR MY SON. NICK DOCTOR WANTED TO GO INTO THE SCHOOL TO WATCH HIM. SHE WAS NOT ALLOWED INTO THE SCHOOL. THE SCHOOL HAND BOOK TELLS THAT NO ONE IS ALLOWED INTO THE SCHOOL. AT 6'0 AND 190 LBS. THE SCHOOL SENDS HOME A NOTE THAT NICK IS UNDER DESK AND LAYING OUT IN THE FLOOR. THE COACH MADE NICK CRAW ON THE GROUND UNTIL HIS HANDS BLEED. I MADE A POLICE REPORT ON THIS ONE. THE PRINCPAL TOLD THE POLICE IT WAS AN IN HOUSE PUNSHMENT. NO ONE IN THIS STATE WILL HELP GET MY NICK SERVICES. NO ONE WILL STEP ON THE STATES TOES.THE STATE LEAVES THE CHILD BEHIND! I AM HAVING A HARD TIME DEALING WITH ALL OF IT. NEED A STORY ON HOW MOMS DEAL WITH ASPERGER AND PROBLEMS! ROBIN H.

July 22, 2008, 9:00 am CDT

Quote From: badschool

MISSISSIPPI IS ABUSING MY ASPERGER SON. HE HAS BEEN LEFT BEHIND!  ALL THE DOCTORS AND YEARS AND STILL NO SERVICES FOR MY SON. NICK DOCTOR WANTED TO GO INTO THE SCHOOL TO WATCH HIM. SHE WAS NOT ALLOWED INTO THE SCHOOL. THE SCHOOL HAND BOOK TELLS THAT NO ONE IS ALLOWED INTO THE SCHOOL. AT 6'0 AND 190 LBS. THE SCHOOL SENDS HOME A NOTE THAT NICK IS UNDER DESK AND LAYING OUT IN THE FLOOR. THE COACH MADE NICK CRAW ON THE GROUND UNTIL HIS HANDS BLEED. I MADE A POLICE REPORT ON THIS ONE. THE PRINCPAL TOLD THE POLICE IT WAS AN IN HOUSE PUNSHMENT. NO ONE IN THIS STATE WILL HELP GET MY NICK SERVICES. NO ONE WILL STEP ON THE STATES TOES.THE STATE LEAVES THE CHILD BEHIND! I AM HAVING A HARD TIME DEALING WITH ALL OF IT. NEED A STORY ON HOW MOMS DEAL WITH ASPERGER AND PROBLEMS! ROBIN H.

First off I would get my son a child advocate, meet with them and find out what his rights are in your state and what the school is to provide for him, and then call a meeting with the school. with your son advocate by your sided, and watch them do back flips to provide the services that the state insures your son by law.

You need to do the work in finding the number for education of children with disabilitys in your state and asking how you can get a advocate for your son and finding out what rights he has  as a child with a disability.

Don't stop at one phone call, some times it takes many and asking for new numbers to call, but it is well worth it. Sometimes schools don't do what is right, they have to be made to do what is right by law for your child.

How do I deal with my son who is on the spectrum, like a 10 year old boy. I don't put him in a box that is marked  Autistic!!!  My son is going into 4th grade doing 4th grade work and is on the honor roll at school.

he plays as any 10 year old boy does, he rides his bike down the road my himself or with friends, rides horse and dirt bikes and his 4- wheeler. I never stop him when he is ready to do things on his own, I hold my breath as I have done with my daughter and let him grow.

After he was dianosed when he was about 3, I read and read and most of it was never good, we stopped reading and doing what they said to do, and started to take one day at a time, and stopped living under what he was called and started to live with it, and understanding what he was able to do, not  by what the books

say that he can do but what he said he was able to do.

J.   Ohio.

First | Prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | Next | Last