Message Boards

Topic : Raising a Special Needs Child

Number of Replies: 715
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:48:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a child with special needs? Share your advice and support with others raising a challenged child.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2008, 4:32 pm CDT

Read One child

Quote From: kelleykelley

My young niece has a form of selected Mutism, and stopped talking when she was a toddler. She is 6 now, and will whisper in her sister and Mother's ear only.  Because she is able to speak, we never made a big deal about it in front of her or tried to get her to talk.  We thought without pressure she would talk (out loud) when she was ready.

We want to encourage her to talk, but don't want her feel self conscious about it.  I'm afraid the older she gets the harder it will be for her to start.

If anyone has a child with the same condition, any advice would be welcome.  Kelley

Have you ever read any of the books by Tory Haeden sorry if it is spelt wrong i dont have any on hand to check.  Although most of the children she deals with have been abused or neglected in many ways she views all children that dont talk the same.  She seems to be amazing in the field of mutism and seems to be a pioneer in Britian her techniques are amaingly simple and almost sound ridiculous.  She expects the children to speak and sets out on the onset that they do and she gets amazing results.  You cant do this if you have already encountered the child before though you need a new relationship to do it.

Anyway her books are worth a read as she has never failed with a child yet !!  She is able to get them all to speak and almost immediatly

Mette

January 8, 2009, 7:19 am CST

CHILD PROBLEMS

HI MY NAME IS WENDY AND I AM A MOTHER TO 3 BOYS 9,8,4...MY 9 YR OLD IS STARTING TO ACT OUT WITH BAD BEHAVIOR...HE IS HAVING TROUBLE KEEPING UP IN SCHOOL AND IS IN A SPECIAL PROGRAM TO HELP HIM CATCH UP .I WAS TOLD THAT CHILDREN WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES DEVELOPE ATTITUDE PROBLEMS...HIS IS OUT OF CONTROL....MY HUSBAND I HAVE NOT WENT OUT ON A DATE DUE TO HIS ATTITUDE....WE LET HIM BE WATCHED BY A COUSIN OF OURS AND NEXT THING I KNOW HE IS CALLING HER FATTY AND STUPID...IT TORE HER UP AND NOW SHE WILL NOT INVOLVE HIM IN ANYTHING SHE INVOLVES MY OTHER 2 KIDS IN.....FROM ALL OF WHAT HE HAS DONE HE HAS NO HURT FEELINGS FROM IT ALL / HE CALLED ME A B***H AND IT PUT ME TO TEARS AND HE COULDNT EVEN SAY SORRY UNTIL I TOLD HIM I THINK HE OWES ME AN APPOLOGY......PLEASE HELP ME IF U FACE THE STUFF I DO.......I TRY TO RAISE HIM IN A GOOD HOME,ACTIVE IN CHURCH YOUTH AND ACTIVE IN SPORTS.....WE DON'T CUSS IN OUR FAMILY AND WE TEACH OUR KIDS TO TREAT EVERYONE EQUALLY......

February 6, 2009, 1:53 pm CST

Raising a special needs child.

Quote From: gcohmom

HI MY NAME IS WENDY AND I AM A MOTHER TO 3 BOYS 9,8,4...MY 9 YR OLD IS STARTING TO ACT OUT WITH BAD BEHAVIOR...HE IS HAVING TROUBLE KEEPING UP IN SCHOOL AND IS IN A SPECIAL PROGRAM TO HELP HIM CATCH UP .I WAS TOLD THAT CHILDREN WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES DEVELOPE ATTITUDE PROBLEMS...HIS IS OUT OF CONTROL....MY HUSBAND I HAVE NOT WENT OUT ON A DATE DUE TO HIS ATTITUDE....WE LET HIM BE WATCHED BY A COUSIN OF OURS AND NEXT THING I KNOW HE IS CALLING HER FATTY AND STUPID...IT TORE HER UP AND NOW SHE WILL NOT INVOLVE HIM IN ANYTHING SHE INVOLVES MY OTHER 2 KIDS IN.....FROM ALL OF WHAT HE HAS DONE HE HAS NO HURT FEELINGS FROM IT ALL / HE CALLED ME A B***H AND IT PUT ME TO TEARS AND HE COULDNT EVEN SAY SORRY UNTIL I TOLD HIM I THINK HE OWES ME AN APPOLOGY......PLEASE HELP ME IF U FACE THE STUFF I DO.......I TRY TO RAISE HIM IN A GOOD HOME,ACTIVE IN CHURCH YOUTH AND ACTIVE IN SPORTS.....WE DON'T CUSS IN OUR FAMILY AND WE TEACH OUR KIDS TO TREAT EVERYONE EQUALLY......

Hello, I have 2 special needs children, both in special classes I have one who is about the same as yours well besides the cursing at me. Or others.  What I do with my son having the same issues as you are having attitude and all. I don't allow it nor tolerate it. Cursing gets him time out. he's 6. Time out 6 minutes. I give him a warning and thats the end of it after that time out. I keep him in the chair by the microwave which has a timer on it so he can watch the timer as time falls. (The timer has worked great where they can see it a clock with the old fashion hand didnt work well) If he continues to get out of time out back to the chair the time starts all over. And over until he gets it that he cant get up until he has done his time.

This does work and it works very well if you stick to it. Sending them to their room is not a option at my house. However bed early because he acted up late in the evening no TV lights out , works well also and the other boys 7 and 2 stay in the other part of the house with us.  It  can be a daily struggle at times but I remember he's will be going through puberty eventually and that in itself presents problems, so get it under control otherwise you will have 10X the problems. Keep up the ritual and eventually all you will have to do is a warning also I do warn him what the consequence is if he continues the behavior. Act up in the store you go home and do time out, no friends, stay inside, for the evening. And I stick to it. Oh he may give you hell you and your husband tag team with him. back and forth. So he knows you both are on the same page. I wouldn't allow his behavior to interupt your dating nights out eithier.  I inform all 3 of my sons their are consequences to bad behavior and if I get a bad report he will have a time out and he will have this certin privaledge removed. It has worked for me and even the Autistic one knows time out is a promise so his misbehaving issues have calmed down also. We still have our issues but we deal with them in the same way Time out.  Even the almost 2 knows what time out is, I started him early so he knows and it works with him also.  A warning should be issued and let them know this is your warning for this behavior.

Then if it continues follow it up with time out age is minutes if he's 9, 9 min. 8, 8 min. 4 , 4 min. so on. Keep  consistency and eventually he will respond to a warning. its worked great for all 3 boys try this to see what happens for you.  Also it may be worth it to find out why the behavior, or what influencing the behavior I have removed kids from my 6 year olds life and sports around here, not until the behavior is in check thats a privaledge. He may kick he may scream, punch bite, it may all come out, put him back in the chair,  If mine destroys the chair he gets sat  in the floor nothing around him if he moves its back to the timer.  I hope this helps!

March 6, 2009, 4:31 pm CST

Sons with Epilepsy, ADHD Bipolar, and ODD

I need help and not sure who to ask.

I moved to Plattsmouth back in September.

My minivan was vandalized when i first got here.

I was accused of single my son who has bipolar, ADHD and ODD out. I am a very good mother.

I have been accused of medical neglecting my 7 year old who has epilepsy because he is on the Ketogentic diet which is not a traditional form of treatment but a real form of treatment.

The state stole my children because of it and now I am held hostage in the house i am renting while my husband is in Virginia because he is a military contractor. I am not sure what the next step is. I want to sue the state for unlawful imprisonment.

March 6, 2009, 4:56 pm CST

Raising a Special Needs Child

Quote From: tjherbalife

I need help and not sure who to ask.

I moved to Plattsmouth back in September.

My minivan was vandalized when i first got here.

I was accused of single my son who has bipolar, ADHD and ODD out. I am a very good mother.

I have been accused of medical neglecting my 7 year old who has epilepsy because he is on the Ketogentic diet which is not a traditional form of treatment but a real form of treatment.

The state stole my children because of it and now I am held hostage in the house i am renting while my husband is in Virginia because he is a military contractor. I am not sure what the next step is. I want to sue the state for unlawful imprisonment.

forgot to add that for my son with bipolar have learned that by making sure that seting a very strict routines to follow he is more likely to listen and behave. He also works well with instant rewards.

First | Prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | Next Page | Last Page