Message Boards

Topic : Pre-school

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:09:47 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you thinking of sending your child to pre-school or already have one enrolled? Share advice, support, funny stories - anything pre-school!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 26, 2005, 8:15 pm CDT

Pre-school

My 4 year old son is starting preschool in 34 days. I've prepared him mentaly and he is excited. I'm not. I've already decided I will drive him for at least 2 weeks. I know I wont get away with much more than that because in preschool the biggest thing is the school bus. How can I get over the anxiety? What should I tell myself when I start to worry about him not being taken care of. I'm so scared he will get seriously hurt and no one will call me.

July 26, 2005, 8:39 pm CDT

Pre-school

Quote From: tracee

My 4 year old son is starting preschool in 34 days. I've prepared him mentaly and he is excited. I'm not. I've already decided I will drive him for at least 2 weeks. I know I wont get away with much more than that because in preschool the biggest thing is the school bus. How can I get over the anxiety? What should I tell myself when I start to worry about him not being taken care of. I'm so scared he will get seriouslyhurt and no one will call me.
We are sending our 4 year old daughter to preschool as well, as a stay at home mom, I know exactly what you are feeling, but I really don't have too much anxiety about it (at least not at this point) She loves being around people and the main reason why we are sending her is becasue she wants to be like her friends and go to school. LOL I am driving her back and forth and she is only going three days a week for the 2 in half hour program. She will be attending a christian preschool that I am familiar with and you bet that I will be sticking around for a bit to get her settled and make sure she is fine(which with her personality, I have no need to worry). I think preparing them the best that we can is imporant but more imporant I think is to keep the communication lines open with them on a regular basis, talk to your son about his day, and his favorite activities and and whatever else you can think of. My daughter is smart and very alert and she will tell me everything that is going on. I don't think it is easy for any one sending their child off to school for the first time but I think as parents if we are alert and aware of our children's surrondings everything will be ok. Of course I pray alot and I am sure I will be doing plenty of it. :)

July 30, 2005, 8:40 am CDT

I feel selfish

Reading your posts makes me feel selfish. I can't wait for my daughter, 3yr. to start pre-school. I am dreaming about my 2 hours two days a week. I also have a 14 yr old daughter who has bipolar, so the break will be nice for me.

Use the couple hours a week for yourself if you can.

I am envisioning an hour bubble bath with candles and low music :)) no spongebob or scremaing kids trying to kill each other :)

Tammy

August 2, 2005, 4:22 pm CDT

Feeling better now

Thanks for your replies!! I feel better knowing that others are nervous as well. And the alone time does sound kinda nice. He still checks the calendar every day makes sure we check the days off. I rounded up his grandparents, great-grandparents, Aunt and little cousin to the first day of school. His father is even taking the day off from work!! lol We're gunna film it and take tons of pics. He even asked if the girl who cuts his hair can spike it with her blue hair gel! lol 25 more days!!

August 8, 2005, 8:40 pm CDT

Preschool Suggestions

Quote From: tracee

My 4 year old son is starting preschool in 34 days. I've prepared him mentaly and he is excited. I'm not. I've already decided I will drive him for at least 2 weeks. I know I wont get away with much more than that because in preschool the biggest thing is the school bus. How can I get over the anxiety? What should I tell myself when I start to worry about him not being taken care of. I'm so scared he will get seriously hurt and no one will call me.

It sounds like youre off to a pretty good start.As a former preschool teacher & now a mother myself, understanding your feelings( they are normal!) I have a few suggestions that may help.   

Visiting the school before he starts once or a couple of times with your child can be a big help.  that way he has already met his teacher and some of the other kids as well as have a look around. Doing this also allows you to observe the routine and allows for questions you may have. 

When your drop off your son always remember to "say goodbye" and that you will return (after lunch, after nap etc.) Sneeking out does not help children feel secure 

Remember it's always ok to call and ask how the day is going.  We usually called new parents during nap to let them know about the day so far.  Most teachers have notices "what we did today" or personal notes about each child's day & activities. 

Be involved!  Most classrooms welcome parent participation.  I was always glad when parents expressed interest in or became involved in our activities. 

If there's any way I can help please let me know 

August 19, 2005, 11:01 am CDT

Pre-school

Quote From: mom2raenem

It sounds like youre off to a pretty good start.As a former preschool teacher & now a mother myself, understanding your feelings( they are normal!) I have a few suggestions that may help.   

Visiting the school before he starts once or a couple of times with your child can be a big help.  that way he has already met his teacher and some of the other kids as well as have a look around. Doing this also allows you to observe the routine and allows for questions you may have. 

When your drop off your son always remember to "say goodbye" and that you will return (after lunch, after nap etc.) Sneeking out does not help children feel secure 

Remember it's always ok to call and ask how the day is going.  We usually called new parents during nap to let them know about the day so far.  Most teachers have notices "what we did today" or personal notes about each child's day & activities. 

Be involved!  Most classrooms welcome parent participation.  I was always glad when parents expressed interest in or became involved in our activities. 

I'm so glad you said that thing about not sneaking out because I would have made that mistake.  The last time his teacher and I talked on the phone we decided I will stay for the whole day at least once a month. It helps to have the extra hands and it prepares me for next year when he goes to Kindergarden. 11 more days!

August 20, 2005, 6:56 pm CDT

I have a question...

Quote From: mom2raenem

I saw that you are/were a pre-school teacher. 

My question is this. 

I see a therapist for depression.  

My therapist is part of a program that includes intensive day therapy for adults as well as children. 

When they have children in the day program they do psychological testing. 

I went to an appointment the other day and my 3 year old came up in conversation and after we chatted about how she acts, 3 going on 20 the therapist said to me it would be interesting at some point to have her tested for giftedness ( I am sorry if that is not a real word) 

My question (sorry I rambled on to get to this point)  

Do you know at what age to do a test like this.  From a school point of view. I understand her saying that to me but wanted another opinion from a teacher prospective. And, if my daughter is considered gifted will being in "regular" pre-school affect what she already knows.  

She was 3 in May and is writing her name, knows shapes like trapezoids, pentagons, octagons, etc. and colors she know all of the basic and also gray, magenta, etc. 

Thank you if you or anyone else can answer., 

I know she needs school for the social interaction but if being tested would mean a different type of school I would want to know now before I ruin everything I have taught her  

Tammy 

August 20, 2005, 7:35 pm CDT

Pre-school

Quote From: tammyo1973

I saw that you are/were a pre-school teacher. 

My question is this. 

I see a therapist for depression.  

My therapist is part of a program that includes intensive day therapy for adults as well as children. 

When they have children in the day program they do psychological testing. 

I went to an appointment the other day and my 3 year old came up in conversation and after we chatted about how she acts, 3 going on 20 the therapist said to me it would be interesting at some point to have her tested for giftedness ( I am sorry if that is not a real word) 

My question (sorry I rambled on to get to this point)  

Do you know at what age to do a test like this.  From a school point of view. I understand her saying that to me but wanted another opinion from a teacher prospective. And, if my daughter is considered gifted will being in "regular" pre-school affect what she already knows.  

She was 3 in May and is writing her name, knows shapes like trapezoids, pentagons, octagons, etc. and colors she know all of the basic and also gray, magenta, etc. 

Thank you if you or anyone else can answer., 

I know she needs school for the social interaction but if being tested would mean a different type of school I would want to know now before I ruin everything I have taught her  

Tammy 

I am also thinking about doing some testing on my oldest daughter but not sure exactly when at this point, This is part of the reason whay I am putting her in preschool this year to see how she does in a group setting and to also get a some one elses perspective, some one who doesn't really know her. She is a very bright child, show her once or twice how to do something and she has it down. She has been writing her name since she was two and she also knows certain words when she sees them on paper. She is very detailed in her drawings (which she does want to be a painter as she calls it-artist). But she is also a perfectionist and doesn't like to mess up and when she does, she gets discouraged and won't do it for a while, she also has some emotional issues which has actually formed into a slight disorder but positive reinforcement is the key with her and she is doing much better with this issue, She is sucha perfectionist and she gets upset over the silliest things and she takes things personal, such as other kids being mean or whatever, she feels that she has to be every ones friend and if some one doesn't want to play with her, she takes it personal but of course we are dealing with all this and again she is doing much better. Some one mentioned to me that she is so smart becasue I work with her which I do and always have but I also work with my little one and though she is a good natured child and smart as well, she isn't half as far as her sister was at age two, and I do keep in mind that all children are different, I think testing her would be an ok thing, but I am going to wait at least another year or two and probably the results of the test will determine how we will school our daughter for kids deserve the best education that they can possibly get and thankfully we as parents know our kids better then anyone else and we have options to choose from.

August 20, 2005, 7:48 pm CDT

Pre-school

Quote From: jettav

I am also thinking about doing some testing on my oldest daughter but not sure exactly when at this point, This is part of the reason whay I am putting her in preschool this year to see how she does in a group setting and to also get a some one elses perspective, some one who doesn't really know her. She is a very bright child, show her once or twice how to do something and she has it down. She has been writing her name since she was two and she also knows certain words when she sees them on paper. She is very detailed in her drawings (which she does want to be a painter as she calls it-artist). But she is also a perfectionist and doesn't like to mess up and when she does, she gets discouraged and won't do it for a while, she also has some emotional issues which has actually formed into a slight disorder but positive reinforcement is the key with her and she is doing much better with this issue, She is sucha perfectionist and she gets upset over the silliest things and she takes things personal, such as other kids being mean or whatever, she feels that she has to be every ones friend and if some one doesn't want to play with her, she takes it personal but of course we are dealing with all this and again she is doing much better. Some one mentioned to me that she is so smart becasue I work with her which I do and always have but I also work with my little one and though she is a good natured child and smart as well, she isn't half as far as her sister was at age two, and I do keep in mind that all children are different, I think testing her would be an ok thing, but I am going to wait at least another year or two and probably the results of the test will determine how we will school our daughter for kids deserve the best education that they can possibly get and thankfully we as parents know our kids better then anyone else and we have options to choose from.

show her once or twice how to do something and she has it down 

She is very detailed in her drawings 

perfectionist and doesn't like to mess up 

she also knows certain words when she sees them on paper 

I c/p the things that I experience with my Logan.   

It is nice to know that you are thinking of doing the testing.  

Thank you for giving me your input :) 

Tammy 

August 20, 2005, 7:52 pm CDT

jettav

Sorry forgot one thing.... 

You also mentioned some emotional problems, my older daughter has bipolar, ptsd, and anxiety disorder, so I am constantly over analyzing everything Logan does. 

I am hoping she doesn't develop anything like her sister . 

Well just wanted to add that because you made mention of the emotional issues. 

Best of luck 

Tammy 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last