Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 7:43 am CDT

I dissagree

Quote From: mamaglo123

The school district does get money for your child to attend school. So, the question is, do you want an education for your child or do you want nursing care? Schools don't have the funds to hire full time nurses. If you want a full-time nurse, you and others who feel the same need to pay for it.
Children have to attend school. Rather it is home school or public school or private school. If it is mandatory that children have to attend school, then it should be mandatory that the children are taken care of at school. The county is the one who has to pay for it. How can you choose between the two? If I had to choose, I would choose my childs health over education. Would I rather my son be "bright" or "dead"???????? It is the Board of Education of the County to be responsible for the hiring of full time nurses especially when it concerns a "life threatening" illness of child who HAS to attend public school. My child deserves both, an education and a full time nurse.

October 17, 2005, 12:01 pm CDT

From A's to F's and Back Again

I have a 15 year old very bright, beautiful, and talented daughter.  The problem is when she first starts school, she is very motivated and works very hard and gets straight A's, then it seems that she gets worn out and just quits and starts to get straight F's.  When I find out and remove her privaleges she gets remotivated and back to A's.  There is no in between it's either F's or A's.  I just would be happy with B's and C's at this point.  I get so tired of having to follow her every assignment, but when I don't she slips back to f's.  What am I to do?  I just want to have a rewarding relationship with her without having to be the big heavy all the time.

October 17, 2005, 3:52 pm CDT

What I think

Quote From: carolynbac

I have a 15 year old very bright, beautiful, and talented daughter.  The problem is when she first starts school, she is very motivated and works very hard and gets straight A's, then it seems that she gets worn out and just quits and starts to get straight F's.  When I find out and remove her privaleges she gets remotivated and back to A's.  There is no in between it's either F's or A's.  I just would be happy with B's and C's at this point.  I get so tired of having to follow her every assignment, but when I don't she slips back to f's.  What am I to do?  I just want to have a rewarding relationship with her without having to be the big heavy all the time.
I am only 15 but I would say that you should talk to her. I didn't have a good relationship with my mom before but now that I get older i see why my mom does the things she does. I just always wanted my mom to talk to me and give me advice. I never had a real relationship with my mom and now I have a better one and it just keeps on improving. I think you need to let her how you feel and why she needs to try in school. I am not saying that just needs to do this because I am not DrPhil but I think this would help. You also have to make sure she has the right kind of friends. You shouldn't have to take everything form her after you have a better relationship with her. I am so glad my mom and I have a better relationship. I could not ask for a better relationship. Just try this and see what happens other wise I don't know what else to do for now.

October 17, 2005, 6:51 pm CDT

Moved to a new house- Moved to a new school

We recently moved to a new house, about five minutes from our old house. My 7 year old is in second grade, he is having an awful time adjusting to his new school and new friends.  He still occasionally sees his old friends when he plays sports, etc. but that doesn't seem to be enough.  He is upset that we had to move because he LOVED his old school.  He had SO MANY friends.  I thought he would make friends easily in his new school because he did have so many friends but instead he comes home and tells me and my husband how mean everyone is to him, and how he hates his new school.  He cries, he tells us that he's never going to make friends.  He told me that it is all my fault because we moved, he says he never wanted to move.   

Part of me thinks he isn't making friends because he really doesn't want to, deep down inside I feel like he's wishing we'll put him back in his old school. 

My husband and I used to think it was just a phase, it would pass but now we're working on two months.  What can I do to make him happy?  He cannot go back to his old school, we moved out of that district.  I feel horrible what can I do? 

October 18, 2005, 2:45 pm CDT

Hey

Hey, I am 14 yrs. old, and i'm just thinking that maybe you should sit down with your son, and ask him how he really feels about this New school is to him, and what is making him not liking it? I think it's good to have a relationship with you children so, later on in when they get older they will feel more comfotable to talk to you. So, Yeah i'd sit down and talk to  him about, why is it so bad there? I mean he's really young too! Write back ASAP!
         I'm glad i could put my oppion here!!***

October 18, 2005, 3:04 pm CDT

first year of school

My four year old step son started school this year. According to his teacher, he is having a hard time sitting down and listening. He was sent to the prinicpals office one day because he would not do as he was told in gym class. What can I do to help? 

October 18, 2005, 7:48 pm CDT

4 year old in school?

Quote From: flash1190

My four year old step son started school this year. According to his teacher, he is having a hard time sitting down and listening. He was sent to the prinicpals office one day because he would not do as he was told in gym class. What can I do to help? 

Your 4 year old started school?  Do you mean kindergarten or pre-school?  Is he one of the youngest in his class?   Did he turn 4 recently, or is he going to turn 5 soon?  Without knowing more about him and the type of program he's in, it's unclear whether the expectations are not appropriate for his age level, or if he's really having a problem.  By all means, DON'T let anyone pressure you into putting him on medication.  There are a lot of other things you could try first.   

What is he like at home?  Does he listen to and follow directions at home?  Is his behavior hard to manage at home?  Does he have a melt-down every time that he doesn't get what he wants?  Is he constantly active, or does he sometimes engage in a quiet activity?  Is he used to being around other children his age?  Is he impulsive, always getting into trouble? 

October 18, 2005, 8:04 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: joyceymay

Your 4 year old started school?  Do you mean kindergarten or pre-school?  Is he one of the youngest in his class?   Did he turn 4 recently, or is he going to turn 5 soon?  Without knowing more about him and the type of program he's in, it's unclear whether the expectations are not appropriate for his age level, or if he's really having a problem.  By all means, DON'T let anyone pressure you into putting him on medication.  There are a lot of other things you could try first.   

What is he like at home?  Does he listen to and follow directions at home?  Is his behavior hard to manage at home?  Does he have a melt-down every time that he doesn't get what he wants?  Is he constantly active, or does he sometimes engage in a quiet activity?  Is he used to being around other children his age?  Is he impulsive, always getting into trouble? 

He turned 4 at the end of June. He is in junior kindergarten. He is not the youngest, there is a 3 yr old in his class. He is hyper at home, always on the go. He does listen and follow directions 90% of the time. Sometimes he will play in his room with his toys by himself. He is not used to being around kids his age....his siblings are 9 and 13. I do not want him on any medication, his mother has already suggested Ridalin. Are there things that we could take out of his diet that would trigger this kind of behaviour? or is it normal for him to act this way when he has had no real interaction with kids his age?

October 19, 2005, 3:43 am CDT

School Issues

He turned 4 at the end of June. He is in junior kindergarten. He is not the youngest, there is a 3 yr old in his class. He is hyper at home, always on the go. He does listen and follow directions 90% of the time. Sometimes he will play in his room with his toys by himself. He is not used to being around kids his age....his siblings are 9 and 13. I do not want him on any medication, his mother has already suggested Ridalin. Are there things that we could take out of his diet that would trigger this kind of behaviour? or is it normal for him to act this way when he has had no real interaction with kids his age?

My thinking is definitely add or ad/hd, but that doesn't mean medication. That means structure, predictableness and really hard work. I'd suggest getting a diagnos for him, but at the same time I wonder if they'd automatically want to put him on medication if he has one. I don't know about the system there. There's a really good book that's written by Ross W Greene. It's often recomended on the Swedish fourm for children with add, ad/hd, autism or tourettes. You can find it on amazon, it's called The Explosive Child.

Good luck!

October 19, 2005, 11:30 am CDT

managing 4 year old

I'm a 1:1 aide for "Jamie," a 3 1/2 year old with symptoms of ADHD, who is an integrated preschool program.  I also have a 16 y/o son who was diagnosed with PDD (an autism spectrum disorder that is a lot more complex than ADHD) at age 3. . . My gut feeling is that there are a number of factors here.  If he's not used to being around kids his age, that could definitely be a factor, but there are probably other reasons for his behavior as well.  It might help to get him tested and hopefully "identified" by the school, so that he could have a 1:1 aide.  "Jamie's" behavior improved a lot when I came into the picture.  (Make sure that his teachers are carefully documenting every episode so that it will be easier to make your case to the committee.)  Your little guy also needs a consistent plan for dealing with his inappropriate behavior.  Everybody that is responsible for managing his behavior needs to be on the same page. 

I also think that it's very possible that there are foods in your step-son's diet that could be triggering his symptoms.  We put my son on the Feingold diet (see www.feingold.org) starting at about age 4.  It helped a lot, but wasn't the total answer.  It turned out that my son also had some sensitivities to some natural foods that were allowed on the Feingold Diet.  For help identifying other possible problem foods, I recommend reading Is This Your Child? by Dr. Doris Rapp.  I took my son to a dr who did the same type of testing and treatment as Dr. Rapp.  It made a world of difference.  (You don't have to see a special doc.  You can just follow the guidelines in the book.)  At first, it seems like a lot of work, but there are big pay-offs in the long run. 

To say that my son has come a long way over the past 12 years is an understatement.  He was in a self-contained special ed preschool class and got every single service that they had to offer.  His preschool teachers doubted that he would be able to function appropriately in a regular kindergarten class.  Fast forward to 11th grade . . . My son is in all college prep classes.  He's even in 3 honors classes (2 of which will enable him to receive college credit by the end of the school year).  He gets extra time for tests, but that's it.  He needs no other supports.  His teachers all love him.  They're constantly saying things like "He's a pleasure to have in class."  His peers admire and respect him.  He even has a date for the prom already.  I'm not saying this to brag.  I just want to make the point that positive changes are very possible, and my son has been able to make all of these changes without ever going on medication. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last