Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 15, 2008, 8:47 pm CDT

Special Needs in Florida

There is a Lanterman Act passed in 1974 that is also known as the Developmentally Disabled person's Bill of Rights.  Under this law a special needs child is entitled to an education until his 21st birthday.  If you think your child has special needs then you need to have him/her tested 6 months before enrolling him/her in school.  Once the test is completed then an iep(individual education plan) must be done.  The parent must be involved along with any advocate they wish to bring.  This is a time where they are placed into special education.

What happen in Florida was just wrong.  You do not put a special needs child in a regular class and then have the teacher (she is no doctor) decide to take a vote from among a class of 5 year old's as to whether the child stays or goes.  Then ask the child where he will go now that he is out.

I am speaking from my own experience as a parent of a special needs child that when through the school system and is now 41 years old.

We have our daughter in special olympics and handicapable square dancing. 

Last thought:  They may have special needs but they still have human feelings try thinking of this before you act.

June 18, 2008, 6:38 am CDT

Story from Grade School.....

Have you ever had a teacher in school that you absolutely despised?  I do.  It was my fifth grade teacher.  She yelled at her students and seemed to be in a perpetual PMS state.  The big thing that made her the "worst teacher I've ever had" was the following account.

I was enrolled in a year-round program.  It was the middle of July in south Texas and 100 degrees at 90% humidity.  The portable we'd been using was being serviced for the day, so we couldn't stay there.  What does the teacher do?  We stayed OUTSIDE in the 100 degree heat for THE ENTIRE DAY!!!! 

One student collapsed from heat stroke at one point during the day, and being fair-skinned, I received a deep sunburn, increasing the chances of basal cell carcinoma later in life.   The stupid woman exposed the entire class to heat stroke and dehydration, which can KILL you, btw- an electrolyte imbalance can stop your heart, which is why it's SO important to stay hydrated (there was NO cooler full of bottled water, her answer was to "find a water fountain").  10-year-olds HAD NO BUSINESS being outside the ENTIRE DAY in 100 degree heat, no clouds in the sky, slowly dying of dehydration.

There are many different alternatives to the torture she exuded on her students.  She SHOULD HAVE called everyone's parents for permission to take us to the library or other air-conditioned building.  Then tried to get a bus from Transportation to come out.  If she was too stupid to keep a list of parents, take them anyway.  If I were a parent in the situation, I would want the teacher to exercise COMMON SENSE and choose the air-conditioned building over an Auschwitz-like oven in the event that I couldn't be contacted.  She wouldve gotten in less trouble with me keeping the children SAFE than having a student COLLAPSE!!!

If she couldn't have gotten a bus, then call up a few room mothers, they would have been glad to offer transportation to the Public Library.  The safety of those kids should have been her primary concern and I hope she got in trouble for it.  I think the parents would have been more forgiving if she had bothered to take everyone out of that dangerous situation and actually took care of her students. 

Congratulations, the criminal negligence she displayed nominates her for "THE WORST TEACHER I"VE EVER HAD".

June 19, 2008, 10:25 am CDT

And the "Worst Teacher Award" goes to....

Quote From: gwarrior6

Have you ever had a teacher in school that you absolutely despised?  I do.  It was my fifth grade teacher.  She yelled at her students and seemed to be in a perpetual PMS state.  The big thing that made her the "worst teacher I've ever had" was the following account.

I was enrolled in a year-round program.  It was the middle of July in south Texas and 100 degrees at 90% humidity.  The portable we'd been using was being serviced for the day, so we couldn't stay there.  What does the teacher do?  We stayed OUTSIDE in the 100 degree heat for THE ENTIRE DAY!!!! 

One student collapsed from heat stroke at one point during the day, and being fair-skinned, I received a deep sunburn, increasing the chances of basal cell carcinoma later in life.   The stupid woman exposed the entire class to heat stroke and dehydration, which can KILL you, btw- an electrolyte imbalance can stop your heart, which is why it's SO important to stay hydrated (there was NO cooler full of bottled water, her answer was to "find a water fountain").  10-year-olds HAD NO BUSINESS being outside the ENTIRE DAY in 100 degree heat, no clouds in the sky, slowly dying of dehydration.

There are many different alternatives to the torture she exuded on her students.  She SHOULD HAVE called everyone's parents for permission to take us to the library or other air-conditioned building.  Then tried to get a bus from Transportation to come out.  If she was too stupid to keep a list of parents, take them anyway.  If I were a parent in the situation, I would want the teacher to exercise COMMON SENSE and choose the air-conditioned building over an Auschwitz-like oven in the event that I couldn't be contacted.  She wouldve gotten in less trouble with me keeping the children SAFE than having a student COLLAPSE!!!

If she couldn't have gotten a bus, then call up a few room mothers, they would have been glad to offer transportation to the Public Library.  The safety of those kids should have been her primary concern and I hope she got in trouble for it.  I think the parents would have been more forgiving if she had bothered to take everyone out of that dangerous situation and actually took care of her students. 

Congratulations, the criminal negligence she displayed nominates her for "THE WORST TEACHER I"VE EVER HAD".

Our oldest son's 5th grade teacher, and the 5th grade para-pro tie for the "worst teacher" award...the 5th grade teacher singled out our son every day for being the slowest to get his things together and in his backpack at the end of the day, making the whole class wait for him...

And the 5th grade para-pro (not a teacher, but a "helper") was running a program called "Young Astronauts", for the higher achieving students (they didn't have a real program for the kids who were ahead of the rest academically).  The program was supposed to be a fun way to learn about astronauts and space...well, she pretty much wanted the high achievers to know what it feels like to "fail"...she said so herself...she would send home impossible worksheets...our son managed to get them done, with a little help...as they were the kind of riddles that a kid wouldn't "get" on their own...he "failed" because he admitted that he got help from his parents...the rest of the kids "failed" that assignment because they couldn't answer the riddle questions...and this is the way the class went, until we pulled our son out...it was totally counter-productive and did NOTHING to build self-confidence and self-esteem...she was there to tear the kids down...

June 19, 2008, 10:32 am CDT

And the "Best Teacher Award" goes to...

It wouldn't be fair to mention the worst teachers without mentioning some of the best teachers...

My 5th grade teacher (she was also my 4th grade teacher) was the best I ever had.  During 5th grade, one of my older brothers was killed in a snow skiing accident...she was there for me to get me through it...and the kids told me that she would be "mean"...she was strict, but in a good way...she got me to do my best...and all of the kids...

Our youngest son's 3rd grade teacher (who was also our middle son's 1st grade teacher) is so wonderful...she makes the kids really want to learn...she has them make a list of what they already know (collective as a class) about a subject, and then a list of what they want to learn...and then the lessons include the things that they want to know...along with the curiculum out of the book...I think that is a really good way to teach...we love her...

Our youngest son just finished 4th grade, and his 4th grade teacher is on the list of the best too...she retired at the end of the school year, and she gave our son a bunch of science experiment books, and a field microscope (she was cleaning out her inventory)...she had drawings where the kids could put their name in a bowl for the items that they wanted...she drew the names, and the kid got the item...she really encouraged our son to want to learn more than what they were learning in class...

June 22, 2008, 6:09 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: mustbecrazy

Our oldest son's 5th grade teacher, and the 5th grade para-pro tie for the "worst teacher" award...the 5th grade teacher singled out our son every day for being the slowest to get his things together and in his backpack at the end of the day, making the whole class wait for him...

And the 5th grade para-pro (not a teacher, but a "helper") was running a program called "Young Astronauts", for the higher achieving students (they didn't have a real program for the kids who were ahead of the rest academically).  The program was supposed to be a fun way to learn about astronauts and space...well, she pretty much wanted the high achievers to know what it feels like to "fail"...she said so herself...she would send home impossible worksheets...our son managed to get them done, with a little help...as they were the kind of riddles that a kid wouldn't "get" on their own...he "failed" because he admitted that he got help from his parents...the rest of the kids "failed" that assignment because they couldn't answer the riddle questions...and this is the way the class went, until we pulled our son out...it was totally counter-productive and did NOTHING to build self-confidence and self-esteem...she was there to tear the kids down...

Wow, Becky, you & gwarrior have some pretty compelling "worst" nominees! I don't have anything THAT bad from grade school. The only thing that comes close is the alcoholic who allegedly taught me in 2nd grade. I say "allegedly" b/c she wasn't there much of the time.

However, I present this nominee on behalf of my younger sister. Her 4th-grade teacher was, to put it bluntly, a b***h. My sister, a bright kid, suddenly started failing EVERYTHING, and was ALWAYS bringing home nastygrams from the teacher about how her behavior was AWFUL -- talking in class, making all kinds of trouble, you name it. Now, this was NOT the way to start off one's career in a new Catholic school. Mother was beside herself, we were the new people on the block, etc., etc. We even called up a psychologist, who happened to be a family friend in another state, for ideas. The psychologist sent a report to the school; the teacher behaved as though it never existed.

It took until about 2/3 of the way through the school year, when Mother went in for a conference with the teacher, that the lightbulb came on. Mother was waiting in the hall for the appointment, when one of the other little girls in the class walked up: Aren't you T---'s mom? T--- is just sooo quiet in class, never makes trouble --- a TOTALLY different picture than that of the troublemaker that this woman was sending home!

The nightmare ended when the school year did. interestingly enough, that teacher did not return the next year.

"Best" nominee to follow.

Prof

June 22, 2008, 6:32 pm CDT

"Best" nominee

It wouldn't be fair to mention the worst teachers without mentioning some of the best teachers...

My 5th grade teacher (she was also my 4th grade teacher) was the best I ever had.  During 5th grade, one of my older brothers was killed in a snow skiing accident...she was there for me to get me through it...and the kids told me that she would be "mean"...she was strict, but in a good way...she got me to do my best...and all of the kids...

Our youngest son's 3rd grade teacher (who was also our middle son's 1st grade teacher) is so wonderful...she makes the kids really want to learn...she has them make a list of what they already know (collective as a class) about a subject, and then a list of what they want to learn...and then the lessons include the things that they want to know...along with the curiculum out of the book...I think that is a really good way to teach...we love her...

Our youngest son just finished 4th grade, and his 4th grade teacher is on the list of the best too...she retired at the end of the school year, and she gave our son a bunch of science experiment books, and a field microscope (she was cleaning out her inventory)...she had drawings where the kids could put their name in a bowl for the items that they wanted...she drew the names, and the kid got the item...she really encouraged our son to want to learn more than what they were learning in class...

My 4th grade teacher was the best -- I don't know this for certain, but the rumor was that the more "gifted" students were put in her class. There was no official "gifted" track at that place and time.

That year, we put on a science fair, put out a literary magazine (I think Mother may even still have a copy of it!), and nearly put on a play (it had to be scrapped, though, when we ran short of rehearsal time. =(  ).

For my daughter, I'd have to put it at a tie between her 4th & 5th grade reading/language arts teachers. They were both good at helping Anne get through her losses, first of my MIL (fall of 4th grade), and then my dad (fall 5th grade).

Becky, I like the way your son's 4th grade teacher handled the disposal of surplus!

Prof

June 24, 2008, 5:24 pm CDT

Finally

We got the report card, the one that was allegedly mailed the 18th, had a postmark of yesterday, the 23rd.

Anne did make the Honor Roll again, although I'm less than thrilled with a C+ in math for the quarter. It still worked out to all As & Bs for the semester. Can't complain too loudly. The FCAT scores were in the envelope, too, OK, but not great -- "On grade level" for the Sunshine State Standards, and 59th and 79th percentiles for the "Norm-referenced" tests in Reading and Math, respectively.

All done with that until August. Family vaca up next.

=)

Prof

July 24, 2008, 7:22 pm CDT

Summer update

We got back Saturday after 11 days at Cub Scout Camp...Scott and I were volunteers, and Matthew was a camper for 1st session, and a junior junior volunteer for second session.  We had 3 days of set-up and training ahead of camp, and each camp was 4 days long.  The camp is up above Wenatchee, WA, just below the Mission Ridge ski area...there was road construction going on while we were there, so traveling up the mountain was interesting...we all had a great time, but we were very exhausted when we got home.

Matthew had his tonsils out today...he did well..no problems with the heart arrhythmia during surgery...the beta blocker he takes for it is apparently doing its job...he will be sore for the next few days...we are well stocked on cold foods and pain meds for him, as well as his antibiotic.

John is doing well in culinary school.  We found him a really good possibility for his restaurant experience externship...it is a local restaurant...one of the best in the state...we talked with the owner when we were there last night for a retirement party for one of my husband's co-workers (and for my birthday...er 18th anniversary of turning 29!!)...the owner said he would love to talk with our son about it.  He has some time off from school in August (he's not sure which week...I told him to find out...pronto!!), so he could come up and talk with some restaurant owners about the externship...he should have more than one possibility lined up.  He also gets an additional class at no charge, not related to the field of study he is in now...he is in the culinary program...he could choose a class in patisserie, management, wine, etc...he should probably not waste his time on the wine class until he turns 21...we would like him to live nearby after he graduates...at age 19 (20 in December), he isn't really mature enough to live so far from home...you'd have to know him to see what I'm talking about...and a friend of ours has a 3 bedroom house to rent...if he finds a couple of friends to rent it with him, he'll be all set...we know of a couple of brothers who might be wanting to move out of home...might work out...

well...pizza timer is ringing...gotta go...Becky

July 30, 2008, 11:51 pm CDT

almost time for school again

School starts here on September 3rd.  Band Camp starts August 11th.  We've been so busy this summer, the time has just flown by...wouldn't have it any other way...hate to waste perfectly good weather on watching TV...but since Matthew's tonsillectomy, the TV and computer limits are gone...for a few more days anyway...he isn't allowed to be hopping about for another few days yet...and he is still having a lot of pain...the doctor said that the pain would peak at day 5...it is now day 6...right on schedule with the pain...

I am currently fighting a nasty sinus infection...my doctor prescribed some antibiotic yesterday...I think it is helping already...but still having body aches, facial pain, congestion, cough, sore throat...etc...tomorrow, I might get to rest a little...had to do the grocery shopping today.

Scott and DAD are going on a campout with the Boy Scouts this weekend...should be a fun one...they will be going on a hike and doing some wading in the creek, and they will be learning knife safety, carving, first-aid, and water rescue training...the creek is really shallow where we will be...but training never hurts...and it is part of the curriculum in the BSA handbook...

I'm really tired...better go to bed now...I hope to hear from everybody soon about your summer vacations!!

Becky

August 4, 2008, 8:29 am CDT

School Issues

School starts here on September 3rd.  Band Camp starts August 11th.  We've been so busy this summer, the time has just flown by...wouldn't have it any other way...hate to waste perfectly good weather on watching TV...but since Matthew's tonsillectomy, the TV and computer limits are gone...for a few more days anyway...he isn't allowed to be hopping about for another few days yet...and he is still having a lot of pain...the doctor said that the pain would peak at day 5...it is now day 6...right on schedule with the pain...

I am currently fighting a nasty sinus infection...my doctor prescribed some antibiotic yesterday...I think it is helping already...but still having body aches, facial pain, congestion, cough, sore throat...etc...tomorrow, I might get to rest a little...had to do the grocery shopping today.

Scott and DAD are going on a campout with the Boy Scouts this weekend...should be a fun one...they will be going on a hike and doing some wading in the creek, and they will be learning knife safety, carving, first-aid, and water rescue training...the creek is really shallow where we will be...but training never hurts...and it is part of the curriculum in the BSA handbook...

I'm really tired...better go to bed now...I hope to hear from everybody soon about your summer vacations!!

Becky

We're ahead of ya by 2 weeks, as we start up the 18th. Can't believe that's just 2 weeks away.

We've had a fairly busy summer. We spent 2 weeks puttering around in Northern California -- LOVED IT. The only real "bummer" of the trip (besides a 3-y/o on transcontinental flights) was attending the memorial service of Hubs' uncle. We had hoped to pay him a visit during our trip, too. =(

Vacation Bible School was 2 weeks ago, and 3 out of the 4 of us were involved in some way, either as a student (Jack) or helping out (Anne & myself). Last week, Anne was off at church camp. After a bout with homesickness, she had a BLAST!!. While she was gone, we (*I*) rearranged the furniture in and painted her bedroom. MAN, was I sore yesterday!

The suitcases are emptied and the dirty stuff laundered just in time to fill them again for a trip to Grandma's in South FL, assuming Hubs' car can be fixed in time (it wouldn't start this AM =(  ).

The saga of "M" may be coming to a conclusion. The 2 girls have hardly seen each other the entire summer. M's having to attend summer school complicated matters there.

Hope you've kicked that sinus infection, Becky. How did Scout camp go for the adventurers? Is Matthew recovered by now?

Hope John can find an externship and/or job closer to home. I have a (sort of) culinary question, though. Anne has become ADDICTED to Gordon Ramsey (-ay?)'s programs. Is what we see on those shows pretty close to realistic, or how much of it is GR mugging and playing it up for the cameras? If Anne keeps this interest in things foodie, I'll tell her to seriously consider applying to the Culinary Arts magnet at the HS across town, as it's consistently the best program of its kind in the state and among the top in the country. That's still over a year away, though.

All for now.

Prof

First | Prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | Next | Last